Arrow to Bring Back Felicity's Mom

Arrow Felicity's Mom Returns

Mom’s (again) the word on The CW’s Arrow, now that Charlotte Ross has booked an encore as Donna Smoak.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the NYPD Blue alumna will reprise her role as Felicity’s flashy mother in this season’s 18th episode.

Ross received a warm reception from viewers with her first appearance on the hit action-drama, which aired in early November and revolved around a dark piece of Felicity’s past coming back to haunt her.

Arrow resumes Season 3 on Wednesday, Jan. 21, with Episode 10, which is titled “Left Behind.”

1. Maxim says:

Nice!!! Mamá Smoak

2. Nicolas says:

Now can we have her meet Det. Lance PLEASEEEEE!!!!

• Meg says:

Haha. That would be amazing. Yes Please!

• Mena says:

I would LOVE this!

• Chol H Yoon says:

Yeah would love to see the reaction from Oracle (Felicity) & Black Canary (Laurel) when they start dating (LOL).

• John NYC says:

So much ^this^….

Felicity isn’t Oracle.

• ? says:

Barbara is Batgirl again though and this time she’s probably going to stay Batgirl forever, more or less, because Batgirl is a very important property to DC and no one else has worked as the character except for her (Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown didn’t take off despite a lot of effort by DC). Which means someone else should take on the Oracle identity (another important one for DC, but much less important than Batgirl) since that’s how superheroes work. Might as well be Felicity. Although I’ll bet you they do it in the comics first in preparation for them doing it on the show.

• Rob Watkins says:

We’re not talking in the comics, we’re talking on Arrow. The show has already taken a number of elements from Batman, why compound by with taking Barb’s code name?

• Briggs says:

…Ra’s al Goul is the big bad this season. I think if DC okayed that, something *so* Batman to so many people, that Oracle isn’t much of a stretch.

• Rob Watkins says:

Ra’s al Ghul is an enemy to more than just Batman, and Arrow isn’t having him take someone else’s identity/codename. I see no reason to give her a Batman character’s codename.

• Briggs says:

They gave Thea the nickname Speedy, and she’s never been Oliver’s crime fighting partner. Besides, they came very close to naming Felicity’s episode ‘Oracle’, so it’s not like they haven’t toyed with the idea. If they’re considering Birds of Prey, they need Oracle, and it’s not the first Batman property that Arrow has appropriated. Gotham certainly isn’t using her anytime soon.

• Rob Watkins says:

Speedy has always Green Arrow’s sidekick. It doesn’t matter if she’s Thea or Mia. It would be more akin to calling Thea “Robin”. Birds of Prey don’t need Oracle as much as they need a tech wiz. I don’t see the purpose of giving her a Batman character’s nickname. At this point, they need to differentiate themselves from Batman more.

• Briggs says:

Well, Felicity needs a codename if they’re going to be talking to her in the field. Not only the BoP but Team Arrow, as well. I realize comic purists want to keep the name for Barbara, but seeing as she effectively killed Oracle, it’s not like it’s being reserved. If DC lets them have Ra’s al Goul, there’s no reason they can’t let them have Oracle. And yes, Ra’s is a Batman villain. Just because other people have fought him does not mean he’s not in the Rogue’s Gallery. Joker has fought other heroes, and I don’t hear anyone arguing he’s not just a Batman villain. Because his focus is still on Batman. As is Ra’s’.

• Rob Watkins says:

They’ve been talking to her for several years now without a codename, and even if they do decide, the writers don’t need to take another character’s code name.

This isn’t about being a purist, this is about no need to . The Ra’s al Ghul issue is different, because not only is he not solely (never said he wasn’t primarily a Batman villain) a Batman villain, Merlyn was always a member of the League of Assassins, so there’s a link between Green Arrow and Ra’s. It’s not unprecedented. Joker is different, he’s not a global villain like Ra’s.

• Briggs says:

And what do you want to bet saying her real name during a mission might become an issue at some point? I don’t remember the last time the guys used Diggle’s name in the field. It’s not like she’s named Laura or Mary. I greatly suspect that’s going to come up.
            Oracle doesn’t belong to Batman, either. She really doesn’t. He brought her into the Justice League, sure (in her own capacity, considering), but she was an all-around help for just about any hero in the DCU who knew about her. She didn’t just help Batman with his cases. Or direct the BoP in the field. She was helping a lot of costumed heroes with their cases. And here we have Felicity, with experience with Team Arrow, connections to the Central City folks (facial recognition software, anyone?), and about to become involved with The Atom… all she needs is the name.

• kath says:

Didn’t Sara suggest to Oliver in her last scene with him that they need names on comms because their comms are too easy to listen in to?

Didn’t Smallville used Watchtower for Chloe? Maybe Felicity could use that.

• Rob Watkins says:

Yes, but at least Watchtower was only a place, not another character’s code name. Briggs, you’re reaching. Ra’s is in fact one of Batman’s best antagonists, but Arrow didn’t take someone else’s name from a different series and put it on a different character, they are using The Demon’s Head, who has an organic connection to Green Arrow. It would in fact be weird if they used The Joker.

There are other codenames they could use that aren’t taken from a series that Arrow is constantly accused (and guilty) of taking from. Oracle is more than a codename, it’s a big part of the Batman universe. She was a character who wasn’t just a tech wiz, she was a hero who was once in the field, but could no longer be out there so she put other skills to good use. I’m not averse to giving her a name, just not one that’s already taken from another franchise that Green Arrow has already taken plenty from.

Yes, Sara did say that, but she also was a member of the team. If Diggle constantly goes without the mask, I would think Felicity’s name on a com is a far smaller issue.

• kath says:

David Ramsey has said in interviews that while he thinks it’s important that Diggle doesn’t wear a mask, it’s also wrong that he goes in there in a bomber jacket with his face uncovered while the others have costumes.. He’s worn a ski mask a couple of times though.
            It’s a sad but true fact that for many people in the present US, all big black men look alike.
            Both Diggle and Felicity need new names over the comms and Felicity needs to stop saying ‘Oliver’ and ‘Roy’ if they’re going to keep the identities secret. Especially for Diggle and Felicity since their names are fairly unusual.

• Rob Watkins says:

I agree to some extent (not about the race thing), but we’re dealing with a world where no one seems to recognize Oliver’s face even though Stephen Amell has a noticable mole under his lip.

• Briggs says:

How am I reaching? It’s comic canon that Oracle is consulted by the superhero community for information. True, the universe being set up by AK and MG is smaller than the DCU, but it’s not all that dissimilar. It just happens to be in the beginning stages, is all.
            I think even Barbara would take umbrage to people presuming she’s owned by Batman in some way. Yes, her base is in Gotham. Yes, she used to be Batgirl. Yes, they have a continuing and strong relationship, both personally and professionally. But Oracle is her own person. The point was never that Oracle was the nerve center of the Bat-Operation, especially since Batman has that big computer in the Batcave that he himself utilizes most often when not in the field. She wanted to be an information guru for all. It may be happening slowly, but I can see Felicity becoming that for this TV DCU. I fail to see where this is reaching.

• Rob Watkins says:

I never claimed she wasn’t, nor did I claim she was only Batman specific. I’m saying that you’re reaching for reasons why Arrow should ape yet another thing from Batman comics. At least there’s an organic reason for Ra’s to be on Arrow, there’s no reason to give Felicity the codename of another character just because they’re good on the computer.

Barbara became the nerve center because she couldn’t be out in the field, that’s a big reason she’s so interesting, she has a background as a fighter which made her more interesting than being simply the one everyone goes to if they need info while in the field. The name belongs solely to her, and there’s no good reason to give Felicity that moniker.

• Briggs says:

The two characters are occupying about the same place in their respective universes. What you seem to be missing, perhaps because it’s far more subtle, is that Felicity has the same problem Barbara does. She’s a fighter without a place on the field. She may not have training or a suit, but she’s fighting for their cause with the same amount of passion and gusto as anyone who can throw a real punch. Neither is on the field because, in their own ways, they would be liability, but they’re both tough enough to continue fighting in their own way.
            In the midst of the earthquake the destroyed the Glades, Felicity stayed, even though being around objects that shivered and shook and that must have been terrifying. Her own life has been on the line (and at times on hold) because of her role in Oliver’s crusade. During the siege on the city, Felicity was in yet another potentially dangerous situation as she traveled with Oliver and Diggle in the van, and then was used as bait for a man with little to no regard for human life in an effort to de-power him and rescue Laurel, so Oliver had a chance at a fair fight. Barbara has been in similar situations, despite being in a wheelchair, both in regards to Batman and with the BoP.
            Felicity was never Batgirl. But that doesn’t make her not Oracle.

• Rob Watkins says:

But being a physical fighter isn’t superficial. They both play important roles, but they aren’t the same characters. More importantly, Arrow needs to stop taking stuff from Batman unless there’s an organic reason for it which is absent here.

You are arguing irrelevant points. Felicity is brave, but that doesn’t make her Oracle. It’s more than a codename, and there’s no reason the Arrow writers can’t come up with something more suitable and original than taking from Batman yet again.

• Briggs says:

Seeing as Batman isn’t coming to the small screen anytime soon (particularly with Gotham writing a young Bruce Wayne being raised by his butler), and DC doesn’t seem to mind, I fail to see why I should.
            I love Batgirl, too. But I don’t see why that has to be part of the character, here. Why should they make up another name? Because having someone else wield it somehow makes it less sacred? I’m sorry, that’s crap. It’s *a name*. That’s all it is. I don’t see you getting up in arms because Roy isn’t making the progression from ‘Speedy’ to ‘Arsenal’ to ‘Red Arrow’, which is arguably just as important. No, you’re getting up in arms because I wish for the EPs to give the codename of a character I love to another character that I love, and somehow, that’s wrong. Just because Felicity isn’t ticking all the boxes doesn’t mean that she can’t be Oracle.
            It’s not like they haven’t reassigned before. Malcolm wasn’t Oliver’s arch nemesis in the comics. Tommy was.

• Rob Watkins says:

They should make up another name because it’s not the same character. In one particular area, she has a similar skill set, but they aren’t the same. This isn’t about the name being sacred, it’s about Arrow having its own identity and not simply taking from one specific source. This isn’t the same thing as Roy’s codenames at all. He’s using one of the codenames that has always been his. He’s not being called Robin even though he has similar attributes (e.g. he’s a younger sidekick to the hero with an affinity for red).

I love Batman as much as the next guy, but I don’t want Arrow to just be Batman with a bow. There’s no reason they have to keep taking from Batman and not just give her a different code name. This is my point of contention which I’m not sure why you are unclear about. They need to stop taking from Batman and make it its own show.

Regarding Tommy, GA’s arch nemesis has pretty much always been The Dark Archer who’s name is Merlyn. The name Tommy is a relatively recent invention. And once again you fail to see the point, changing it from Tommy to Malcolm is different, it’s in the same property. They didn’t change it from Tommy Merlyn to Tommy Elliot or something else from Batman. They simply made the Dark Archer Tommy’s father.

• Briggs says:

The only villains Arrow has taken from Batman so far that i can think of are The Clock King and The Demon’s Head. Here’s some other points:
            *At no point in any origin retelling I’ve ever read has Batman become a serial killer.
            *Oliver is not currently the CEO of his own company.
            *Oliver is not an (un)certified genius (Batman, while untested, isn’t known as The World’s Greatest Detective for nothing)

*At some point during his progression, Green Arrow *was* kind of a Batman knockoff, so they’re similar in many ways even *before* you start messing with the mythology.
            If, however, you still feel that this is the point at which the creative team should try to be more original (i.e., somehow Felicity being Oracle is the straw that breaks the camel’s back), then you are more than welcome to come up with some new names to show me how this would work. Especially with a series notorious for recycling old material.

• ? says:

I think DC comics want someone to be Oracle. I think the superhero identity of Oracle, and brand, is important to them. It isn’t going to be Barbara–she’s Batgirl, and is going to remain Batgirl, probably forever (more or less, this is comics), for reasons I stated. So that means they’re going to make someone else Oracle. This happens ALL THE TIME in comics. It’s how comics work. And I think they’re going to make it Felicity. There are a lot of reasons why it makes sense, and let’s not forget that it’s hard trying to launch a new character, and most of them don’t take off. Felicity as Oracle will be instantly popular and have a lot of recognition. She won’t fail. Fans (a lot of them; not all, it’s never all) will accept her and be enthused about it. Like I said, it just makes too much sense for DC. But I think they’ll do it in the comics before they do it in the show.

• Rob Watkins says:

We’re not talking the comics, we’re talking the show.

• Naveen Arshad says:

Oh yes, that would be amazing !!

• Rob Watkins says:

The show could use less shipping.

3. forouzan says:

Woooh! hope this time she spends more time with Oliver and John.

4. kath says:

Wonderful! Charlotte Ross and the writers did a great job the first time around. Here’s hoping she gets to interact with a certain police captain who could definitely use some joy in his life.
    Maybe they do listen to viewers comments after all.

• John NYC says:

Exactly what I was thinking. There’s the comedic potential from “the children”, but regarding the character himself some happiness would be a well deserved addition.

5. Meg says:

Very exciting news. Charlotte Ross did a great job. I love when they add humor and fun into the mix of Arrow. Mama Smoak certainly does that.

6. nikki says:

Awesome. I loved her. Such a breath of fresh air. Maybe SmoaknLance will finally happen.

7. Hattie says:

So excited! Love Donna Smoak.

8. Jeremy says:

I’d hit them both, separately of course.

9. A says:

Thanks for reporting this. I’m so excited!

10. Sam says:

Oooh, I wonder what brings her back to Starling! Exciting. Loved her. Breath of fresh air to the show.

11. Bee says:

I am so excited. I love her!

12. spellblade says:

Hands down the best piece of news about arrow in a while. I am so excited. Hope they make her a series regular and we learn lot more abt felicity. Its abt time she got a story arc of her own. She is a major crowd puller and deserves it.

• John NYC says:

Indeed the more rough edges get revealed about Felicity the less “caricature” she becomes. And Emily has the acting ability to go anywhere the writers send her, IMHO.

13. Kate says:

I sort of feel like this is an alert as to how long Oliver will be out of the picture. I know they were talking about some scene Felicity has yesterday, but I don’t know if the episode number was named but, I could see a reason a mom would stop by her daughter’s hectic life again…

14. Claire says:

This is EXCITING NEWS — just when I needed some for this show! So happy she is returning and really looking forward to the episode. She’s a real treat and I really hope we get to see more interaction between her, Oliver and Diggle — Felicity is a given. Thanks for the news!

15. Sam says:

Great news! She was such a great addition!!

16. Anon says:

Yes!!!!!! Love her!!!!! Would love to see her in more scenes with Oliver and Digg, Please!!!!

17. Lysh says:

I hate “YASSSS” but this seems like an appropriate time to use it. So excited she’s coming back! Hopefully with some more information on Felicity’s dad.

18. Lucy says:

Great news! Love Mama Smoak!

19. brenna says:

Yay!!!!! So glad to hear this. I agree with others that her interaction with Oliver and Diggle was awesome. We actually got to see Oliver’s dimples!! That’s a win!!

20. GildedRose says:

YES! Now aside from seeing her in a great story with Felicity and, obviously, Oliver/Felicity/Diggle…. can this woman meet & have scenes with Quentin Lance so he can start developing some story of his own? I think Donna Smoak & Quentin would be great fun!

21. Rob Watkins says:

Hopefully it’s not as uninteresting as last time. I liked the performance fine, but the writing was cliché and it added little to Felicity that we didn’t already know.

22. Drew says:

I have to say that I didn’t love the first episode that she was in (Felicity’s backstory turned out to be a played cliche) but there was an interesting dynamic between mother and daughter. I do hope that they tone down the character a bit. The writing of her was a little over the top last time.

• Rob Watkins says:

There’s room for growth, but the dynamic wasn’t particularly interesting in that episode since it was also a clichéd dynamic. The daughter was mortified by her mother who she deemed to be immature, but discovers that she has deep reservoirs of strength because she stands up for her daughter against the bad guy.

• Drew says:

I agree. But if they tone down the character a bit, I think she can work. I don’t think that they needed to push as hard as they did for Felicity to be embarrassed by her mother. It can work if they move it in the right direction, but it could also be a mistake to go there again.

23. These ratings are increased by the amount of glass layers, usually 2-3 layers of glass and the size of the air
    gap between the layers. However, there are guidelines that can be followed to the troubleshooting process.
    My own experience in replacing the windows of a mid-level condo was excellent.

24. Luis says:

I loved that episode!! Kudos to the powers that be for bringing Charlotte back so quickly.

25. Mehvash says:

Yes Mama Smoak!! I really hope she meets Captain Lance somehow.

26. Masshuuil Thulcandra says:

More Dark Days of Felicity Smoak? Sure hope so! Welcome back mama Smoak.

27. Amber says:

So looking forward to this! Donna Smoak is awesome.

28. Marli says:

Hooray for Mama Smoak! Her heartfelt dynamic with Felicity was so great, as was her hilarious interaction with Oliver. Can she stay in Starling City forever, please?

29. Mark says:

I teared up when I saw this. I thought back to the scene where Felicity’s mom stands up for Felicity and thought it so moving both then and now.

30. Joey Padron says:

Good news she’s coming back for another episode!

31. Briggs says:

Mama Smoak! :) Love her. Can’t wait to see her again. And yes, have her meet Lance. She might sweep him off his feet. :) Just like the rest of us who loved her so much the first time.

32. aunni says:

love mama smoak…

33. Anthea says:

Wonderful! She was a great addition to the show, bringing in some lightness. And I’d love to see her interact with Diggle and Oliver, their scene was hilarious!

34. Skip says:

I am so thankful this show starts back up next week. I have missed it greatly. Keep up the fantastic work!

35. Rob Watkins says:

It’s reaching because you’re coming up with superficial reasons to give her a name of another character who has similar skill set. You brought up Ra’s despite there being an organic connection. The show is already a lot like Batman, this deep in, shouldn’t it be forming its own identity instead of taking more elements from a far more well known franchise just because two characters happen to have a similar skill set?