James Corden on Late Late Show Takeover: 'We Want to Make It Warm'

The Late Late Show With James Corden

Right now, many Americans may not know who James Corden is.

But, if all goes according to plan, the British actor/comedian’s March takeover as host of The Late Late Show soon will make him a household name.

Corden appeared at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena on Monday, and one thing was clear: He wants to be the home audience’s best friend.

“In this climate, we want to make a warm show, a show that never feels spiky,” Corden said of replacing Craig Ferguson. “So much of what you see and read and are polluted by is not pleasant right now. If we can make a show that reaches out to people and reminds them there are still wonderful things, I’d love to make a warm show that’s really funny.”

According to Corden, he and executive producers Ben Winston and Rob Crabbe have been on the job only for four days. Even though an exact format for the talk show hasn’t been nailed down, Corden said the only way to know what works and what doesn’t is to try new things.

“The truth is, there’s no blueprint for our show,” he said. “It’s going to evolve as we do it. We could prep for this show for a year, but it’s only in doing it that we’ll figure out what it is.”

Regarding Corden’s potential opening monologue, Crabbe added: “Straightforward joke-telling is not something that he does a ton of. We’re going to consider other paths. We want to be guest-focused.”

Corden’s credits across the pond are extensive (Doctor Who, Gavin & Stacey), and he won a Tony Award in 2012 for his work in the Broadway play One Man, Two Guvnors. Most recently, he appeared as the Baker in the musical movie Into the Woods.

Now that Corden will be largely focused on one nightly show, he insisted that he’s not putting the brakes on his creativity.

“It’s more like I’m putting my foot on the gas, really,” he said. “In terms of being creatively fulfilled, I don’t know if there is a better thing I could ever do with my time.”

The Late Late Show With James Corden will debut on Monday, March 23, at 12:37/11:37c.

Will you give James Corden’s Late Late Show a shot? Hit the comments with your early thoughts on the talker.

1. Tran says:

So excited on March 23rd. James Corden should do a great job for his new gig on The Late Late Show and it won’t be the same without Craig Ferguson now that he’s moving on to do Celebrity Name Game which is renewed for a second season.

• elf says:

I’m actually surprised that CNG was renwed. In Los Angeles it started at 7pm, then moved to 5pm, then 1pm (or maybe 2pm) and now apparently 10am. A show getting moved around that much in such a short period of time is rarely a good sign.

As for Corden, I’m on the fence. Sure, having a warm and friendly sounds like a good idea, but I don’t see that worknig when they need to do something to grab attention and eyeballs. Plus, considering how many people watch the next day on DVR, do I want to see warm and friendly at say, 7pm the next evening?

2. Leah says:

I love him. I think he’s so funny on A League Of Their Own. Fingers crossed he does well over the pond, he deserves it!

3. Gail says:

Thought he was great in the movie “Into the Woods” Will DVR to watch later .

4. tjchurch2001 says:

He will certainly be a household name, with people going to bars or anywhere else they can to get out of the household to anywhere they can be & not watching this sad excuse for a replacement! (Drew Carey last week proved why any one of the guest hots until James takes over would be better for the job!)

5. David4 says:

I wish Craig did more guests and less monologue. More so by the end the monologue would be filmed two or three months before being aired.

• Angela says:

So were many of the guest interviews. There was the common running joke of some guests accidentally referencing the date the taping actually occurred instead of the date it was to air.
      I loved both the guest interviews and the monologues. The guest interviews could veer in any random direction, and I liked the unusual topics he often brought up in monologues as well.

6. Megan says:

I love James Corden and can’t wait for his show. He just always seems cheeky and fun so I’m looking forward to seeing where he takes this…

7. Katy says:

No matter what he says or does not say I WILL NOT watch; no Craig, no LLS

8. Cynthia Gadarian says:

“We’ll make it warm, not spiky???” Does this child from Britain not understand Craig’s current, ‘ardent’ fans love him because he IS spiky? Does this British child not understand that sweetness and light at 12:35 AM is not gonna fly, CBS not withstanding? I’ll give him a try, but no perkiness at 1235 AM.

• tjchurch2001 says:

YOU are the one who fails to understand… “Name Game” continues to show bad things happen (or anything fails to happen) when Craig tries to be spiky… He wasn’t spiky at the late hour either, & that was the good thing.

The Tonys proved James has a ton of energy; The problem is the show is not a sitcom, but a talk show, which means (as in the case of Craig, Jay, & Dave) the show will be “WITH” him, but not about or starring him. (If he were the star, nobody would watch.)

• Katy says:

We do understand….And what is wrong w CNG? It can’t be bad since it was renewed. Not many will watch him anyway; he’s not Craig

9. Marilyn says:

Not that u’ll listen. With all the a turkeys hosting the late late show starting with James Carden , why not consider: smart , sharp witted, classy, fabulous dresser, multi talented, hilarious, likeable congenial. WAYNE BRADY, YES WAYNE BRADY!!!! Also we miss Craig Ferguson, who was treated with such unwarranted disrespect.

• TVGord says:

God, no! I haven’t missed a Late Late Show since it began with Tom Snyder, but this is the first week that it has been a chore to sit through. Wayne Brady! No way! It’s nice to see that you like him so much, though. I didn’t think anyone thought Wayne Brady was as funny or talented as Wayne Brady does!

10. Joyce says:

great honest talented pure real. I stay up late to see him. Great singing voice cone to my house so I can hug you💌

11. Joyce grant says: