Cote de Pablo Opens Up About NCIS Exit ('No Second Thoughts'), Her Fans' Reaction and Ziva's Possible Return

NCIS Ziva Returns

Exactly a year-and-a-half after the news first broke that she and NCIS were parting ways, Cote de Pablo has answered many burning questions about Ziva’s “rushed” exit storyline, the “outpouring of love” she felt from fans and whether she’d ever return to the CBS drama she called home for eight years.

Following her appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour — where she was promoting the upcoming CBS mini The Dovekeepers — de Pablo said that after her break from NCIS, “I took a couple of months off, and my entire family came over which was really great. They knew that it was a tough transition for me, and within three-and-a-half months I had an offer,” for the Chilean miner biopic The 33.

“For the most part I have had incredible opportunities knock on my door — I have read them, I have been not quite interested,” she said. But The 33 afforded her both an opportunity to return “home” to Chile and work with “incredible people” including Juliette Binoche, Antonio Banderas and Gabriel Byrne. “I thought, ‘My god am I ready for this?'” de Pablo relates. “And I was ready.”

Invited by TVLine to reflect on and assess her NCIS exit storyline, which was folded into the first two episodes of Season 11, de Pablo admitted, “I think it was rushed. I would have liked a little bit of closure. But I think all in all I could not be more blessed, because I got a chance to be with my ‘love,’ Michael [Weatherly, who plays Tony]. Any time you put Michael and I together there’s going to be a spark, and there’s going to be real honesty, and for that I am forever grateful. Because in that sense there was a sense of conclusion as far as what [the characters] felt for each other.”

As such, and given that she got much-needed personal time, de Pablo attests that she has “no second thoughts” about ending her NCIS run. “I’m very happy with my choices. I spent time with family, which was incredibly important for me. I’ve had time to deal with me, which I couldn’t really do for a long time, so I’m blessed for that.”

Of course, a chunk of the NCIS fanbase reacted strongly to losing de Pablo and Ziva, with an “ouptouring of love” she says was “humbling.”

“When you make decisions like this, you never expect for people to fully understand,” she added. “So it was really delicious to feel that kind of love and I’m always grateful for that.”

So, might she one day reprise her role as Ziva, even on a one-off basis? “I think the fact that they never killed the character off is very telling,” de Pablo noted with a smile. “Under the right circumstances, I think it could definitely be explored.”

As for locking into another series regular TV role, de Pablo let out a hearty laugh before telling TVLine, “I’m not sure if I’m ready to sign a  6- or 7- or 8-year deal. I did a long run [on NCIS] and it was remarkable and I learned a lot.” That said, she’s game “if it was the right story. If we could keep up telling a really good story, that’s the most important thing if you’re an actor.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Thank you for interviewing Cote today and for sharing her words with us. Of course she is missed on NCIS but I’m thrilled she’s moving on to grander things. :-)

2. Daniel says:

I love this article & I love Ziva. I love Cote too.

Thank you for doing the interview. ;)

3. Jeremy says:

I’d hit that.

4. David4 says:

You can’t blame here for wanting time off after eight years. Glad she spoke out about things.

5. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I would def. tune back on NCIS if Ziva makes a little come back, I was not happy when Cote/Ziva wasn’t returning especially her chemistry with Dinozzo. I hoping to see TIVA make it till the series end but guess not. But overall good luck to her and her new mini series!

6. Hege says:

Of-course her storyline was rushed. She quit only three days before shooting. They had to rewrite her story very fast so it would be rushed.

• jB says:

She didn’t quite 3 days before the season started. It was announced she and CBS couldn’t come to a contract agreement on July 13, 2013.

• Kategr says:

And when do u think they shoot the episodes? they shoot months in advance

• @JB – no one said she quit 3 days before the season started. Hege said she quit 3 days before shooting started, which is correct. They start shooting in July so they have episodes in the can for September.

• Karen says:

Filming started July 17th and the writers were back to work sometime in late May/ early June. By the time they start filming the first new episode, they’ve written at least 4 episodes and are in various stages of 4 more. By announcing that she wasn’t going to return on July 13th, it meant that they had to scramble and re-write the first 1/3 of the season (of which episode 1 and 2 were all ready deep into pre-production: scouting, casting, set construction, etc.) So yes, by waiting so long to decide not to sign, she heavily impacted the production of the show.

Having said that, she sounds happy and the show managed to right the ship. Season 12 has been very strong in my opinion. I’m still enjoying each and every episode!

• mimi says:

If I’m not wrong MH said that they had 5 or 6 episodes already written and had to change all of them.

• Ferneberga says:

He did indeed say that in a recent interview, which meant the writers had to pull all the stops out to rewrite the first 2 episodes and alter the others appropriately

• mimi says:

Meaning that she was lucky they didn’t choose the easier way out and killed Ziva off in the first minutes of SP.

• sherry mckenna says:

LM said that the cast and crew knew well in advance that she may not return. He said they had no excuse for not being prepared with alternate sl’s. He said it, not me.

• J.P. says:

It’s NOT the same w/o Ziva being there.

• Pennagirl says:

Which was 3 days before NCIS started filming their next season.

• kath says:

However, she had been in talks with the producers for months about whether she was staying or going. The final decision was made at a late date but not her feelings about wanting to do more in her career.

• as524 says:

Considering that at the CBS UpFronts in NYC, it was announced by Harmon that ‘all would be back’ that year, it’s very obvious that there assurances that she would sign

• Interesting, also, how the story about her role in 33 has changed from that was apparently one of the supposed sticking points in negotiations and now we are being told she was offered the role months later….
          Given verifiable statement made near her sudden departure, by HER, and her unwillingness to curb the behavior of some of her more rabid fans I’d say someone is either telling lies now, or told them then, and allowed them to stand, either way.
          Given my issues with the character Ms d Pablo played, changing stories to suit herself, nit taking responsibility for her actions, etc, this article reads like Ms de {Pablo is much like Ziva complete with a Chilean accent that she never managed to lose…

• Daniela Tores says:

Not loosing accent is not the worst thing that can happen – some people can’t lose their hateful behavior even after her departure.If it was so annoying to see her on screen why did you even bother to check out her other projects?
            BTW,Selma Hayek,Penelope Cruz,Antonio Banderas …they all still have that accent.What about British accent? It is an accent as well,right? Or Australian? Irish? Are you ok with Daniel Craig,Marion Cotilliard,Colin Firth,Gerard Butler,Benedict Cumberbatch…etc..etc.Are they bothering you?
            Are maybe you think all these actors are not busy enough because of their accents?

We love Cote with or without accent.She left and that was the right thing to do.She just proved that.Good luck, Cote.Can’t wait to see what is next for you.

• Daniela, The accent is a problem when she is SUPPOSED to be an Israeli… Even more so when she is supposed to be a super spy able to BLEND. My disliking the accent has nothing to do with the accents origins but the fact that such a talented actress couldn’t adjust her voice to better match the character… See Simon Baker versus Patrick Jane… Simon Baker is obviously Australian but that is not the voicing he uses for Patrick Jane…
            I wish her luck but she is not the be all and end all, as an actor, that seems attributed to her….

• Daniela Tores says:

,you are ok with accents but just not her accent because she is not talented enough for you,right? Well, I don’t think critics,Roma,CBS and huge amount of her fans would agree with you.You have all rights to have your opinion about her though.Also you have all rights not to watch whatever she does, specially after her departure from the show you love.After all she was replaced with an actress who is ‘awfully’ talented and CBS can’t wait when she finally will fill those very big shoes.Also she has no accent – double win!

• As you say Daniella, a huge amount of HER fans would say different: fine but as someone who is not a fan all I’ve seen is basically a one note actor… The fact that you can fast forward most of the Ziva scenes without impacting the story is probably anle to be blamed on the writers but apart from Dead Man Walking I saw little of the supposed talent that is attributed to Ms de Pablo… on that note I also wish we’d seen more of that Ziva and less of the woman lacking in self control, over whelmed but her own sense of entitlement, and suprisingly lacking in observational skills one would have thought essential to being a spy… Was it writing or was it the way scenes were acted… Let’s what she’s like after she has a few more roles under her belt.

• pageymac says:

Your hatred of a woman you have never met is sick. Stop it. Go get an appt with a psychiatrist. You have scary psyche problems.

• Liz says:

Cote de Pablo did not have a contract with CBS. It expired when the shooting of season 10 was finished. She stayed in the negotiations for months but she owed CBS nothing without a contract. They should have had a plan in place in case she didn’t re-sign. The shame does not go her but on CBS. They are big boys, they know how this works.

• as524 says:

At UpFronts it was announced that the whole cast would be back….
        Try again about needing a back up plan.

• Gabi says:

Mark Harmon should not have been opening his mouth in the 2013 upfronts to say the whole cast including Cote was coming back. Everyone in the real world knows that no contract= no commitment. Mark Harmon should have known better than to say such a thing.

• I totally agree with you. I love you,
        and thank you so, very much for posting this comment.. It means a lot to me.. I love you so, so much.
        I wouldn’t have it any other way.
        xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo. :)….”

7. BJ says:

It sounds like Cote is in a great place. Wishing her continued happiness and job successes.

8. Et al says:

I’ve never even seen NCIS and I’m sick to death of this woman.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Productive comment.

• The Carpooler says:

Bwahaha. Well played, Matt.

• Mind you it is reminicent of the Bishop sucks posts that flood NCIS’ facebook page… Basically, not a productive comment at all.

• Shelly says:

Just like you have been making mindless Ziva/Cote posts for 8 years. Why do you even come to a page that is clearly about Cote de Pablo if you hate her? I know why. Because this feeds some weird, need in you. I saw comments from you about Cote on a page from about 6 years ago and you are still saying the same thing. So, others can’t complain about Bishop yet you can still slam a character and a person that isn’t even on the show anymore?! That’s the pot calling the kettle black!

• Shelly says:

Here is your comment from an article in EW about 32 will they or won’t they couples. Notice, it says FIVE years ago.

JustJeanette Autumn Gray • 5 years ago
          Would you be saying Creator trumps canon if DB hadn’t wanted a romantic partner and yet the show went for one? The Ziva character requires such suspension of disbelief already. Adding Tony loving ‘that crazy ninja chick’ to the mix and I’ll head for “As the Bullpen Turns”

I like Bishop. I don’t complain about her. And if I didn’t like her, I certainly wouldn’t be going on these pages to complain about her non stop nor do it for years! I also do not talk about Ziva or Cote on the NCIS page.

But, why should those who don’t like Bishop stop complaining. You did it for years and you are still doing it.

• Shelly says:

You can find it at when you google 32 will they or won’t they couples. If you click on the picture of Tony and Ziva you can then click on the comment thread and your comment comes up. This page won’t let me paste the link.

• Christine says:

That’s kinda creepy.
            Stalking 5 year old articles seems a little overly obsessive to me.

• Shelly says:

I wan’t stalking Christine. I’ve been sick with the flu and when I was reading through aritcles, one came up on my side bar about the 32 best will they and won’t they couples. I found it odd that they would mention Tony and Ziva since she is no longer on the show. As I was reading it, I realized it was from a long time ago. When I scrolled through the comments, there was one from Just Jeanette. So, what is more obsessive, accidentally stumbling across an article yesterday or someone complaining about a character they don’t like for over 5 years?!?

• Wow, stalking much?

• pageymac says:

For all you incredibly sad people saying “OOOOOH!!! STALKER!!!”, uh…are you actually so limited that you can’t fashion a Google search?? Because I did the same thing Shelly did after reading several comments on this story. There are a scary amount of posts from “justjeanette” (aw shucks, your just lil ol’ Jeanette…how cute). I haven’t been on an NCIS thread since I stopped watching the show over a year ago. The character of Bishop is so horrible she wrecked the show for me – and this is NOT a “Ziva or nothing” complaint. Replace Ziva with a decent character & a reasonably talented actress & I’d be back watching. But even tho it’s been over a year since I saw an NCIS thread, it only took me about 30 seconds to recognize that “justjeanette” name. Just read her bizarre, delusional posts. Ziva should be in prison! Her accent is wrong! Cote is a piece of garbage for a human!! I can say without hesitation that justjeanette is an obsessed sociopath. Her hatred for a woman she’s never met, and a character that is pure fiction, is frightening in its zeal.You freaks calling out Shelly for recognizing what a disturbed individual justjeanette is – and one that is totally memorable given her psychopath – are the weirdos. If there’s a stalker here, its lil ol Jeanette. A jealous old lady living with a dozen ferrets.

• carbono says:

So glad you took the time to read an article about a show & an actress that you have never seen & graced us w/your opinion. Thanks, Et al!! Numbscull

• Just Me says:

Your loss, very good show.

• Daniela Tores says:

WOW? How did you manage that?

• I totally agree with you. I want Cote back too.. Thank you so, so, so very much for posting this Comment. It means a lot to me!!!!!!!!!

9. Liz says:

I hope that “the right circumstances” present themselves sooner rather than later

10. Sylvia says:

Can’t wait for the Dovekeepers!
    And it’s great that Cote de Pablo is happy although Ziva is STILL missed on NCIS and lots of TIVA fans would have wanted to see some sort of closure after 8 years!
    Looking forward to the Dovekeepers and all her future projects!

• And a lot of other fans would have preferred a different closure; Ziva hauled off to jail for her role in Kate’s death for a start.
      Imust admit the entitlement of the TIVA fen remains frightening… If the type of treatment, particularly in later seasons such as 5, 6 and 7 are considered LOVE some people really need a reality check.. And don’t pull out the “it’s ONLY TV excuse” because I’d like to know why that sort of behaviour, fictional or otherwise is mistaken for love; worse when it’s not fictional at all. As for her comment about her love, Michael… That just eggs on the fen who were happily wishing MRS Weatherly miscarry because she shou;dn’t behaving Michael’s children Cote should.

• Pennagirl says:

• Penna girl, there is, unfortunately, a sector of the Cote De Pablo fan base that ship Michael/Cote, yes, the real people. When Bojana was pregnant with her, and Michael’s, first child there were pictures shared on Twitter and other social site of pregnant Bojana with a target on her belly… These are MOTE shippers and they are truly frightening.

• Donna says:

Me to it is or was a good show.

11. Cookiemonster says:

She looks so lovely and refreshed. She had really started to look tired and overworked during her time on NCIS. The time off has been very good to her.

12. Dean says:

Well there you have it hopefully whoever made the conspiracy that the entire NCIS cast and everyone at CBS was against Cote will see reason.

• You’re kidding, right? The new conspiracy theory from some (not all, but some) will no doubt be that CBS forced her to say all that, holding The Dovekeepers hostage.

• Patrick says:

I think the cast was mad and scared in the wake of her immediate, and unexpected departure. Remember, Marvel Agents of Shield was coming out, and it was airing vs NCIS. Prior to her departure, there was rampant media and web speculation that AOS might beat NCIS.
      NCIS is a cushy gig. Everybody makes a poop ton of money, and there was real fear amongst some of the cast that her departure might seriously damage the show and its ratings. So, I think some of the cast was mad at her for potentially killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.
      Now that the cast is removed from her decision, and given that the ratings are fine, I would be willing to be that the cast isn’t as mad at her as they were in the aftermath of the decision.

• Evan Cooper says:

Well, that’s a waay lot of supposition on your part isn’t it? Are you speaking for the cast? You know all of this as a fact? Umm, no, I don’t think so. The only thing I observed after she left was a small fan group speculating and making up some horrible things about the cast and CBS, because THEY didn’t want her to go. NCIS has been on for 12 seasons, the residuals alone would keep the cast monetarily satisfied. There hasn’t been any statements reflecting “fear” for “killing the goose”, it is an ensemble cast. I respect her decision to want to continue doing other things and move on, how sad some people just can’t respect that as well.

• Pete says:

Less supposition than those who were screaming hate at the cast for not publicly supporting de Pablo (actually, they did, they publicly supported and accepted her decision to leave) and who were convinced that her ex-colleagues were all so devastated by her departure that they were almost unable to continue working.
          To me the cast seemed hurt and baffled by her decision, which none of them saw coming, yet they accepted and supported it and got on with the show – and their jobs – without her.
          I would have felt betrayed had a key player at my employment walked out days before the start of a new project, maybe they did too.

13. estefania says:

I cant wait to see the dovekeepers,her fans are going to support and love her forever whatever she wants to do , she is so talneted , humble , gorgeous, dhe deserves it and more I hope she comes back as guest star at least to NCIS

• Pete says:

But there is little evidence of her fans supporting her and loving her “whatever she wants to do” and a lot of evidence that they believe all she should do and all she should want to do is return to NCIS.
      Very few seem able to accept that she could have made an unforced decision to leave NCIS to do what she wants with her career.

• kath says:

If you think there is little evidence of her fans supporting, have a look at the comments on this thread.

• Pete says:

I count 9 comments asking for her to return to NCIS, 3 wishing her well in her future career and 3 looking forward to the Dovekeepers (out of about 60 current comments), most of the rest are generally commenting on the situation or the article.
          That’s not much evidence of her fans supporting her in her career choices.

• kath says:

We score comments differently then. I see none of her fans hoping that her career tanks now that she’s left NCIS. Some do wish she would return but none of her fans saying “It serves her right to have her career fail.” Granted, that’s harder to judge because a number of people here resent her for various reasons.

• Pete says:

@Kath. I haven’t seen ANYONE hoping that de Pablo’s career tanks now that she has left NCIS (but I am sure you can find me an example or two), although I have seen plenty dismissing both of her recent projects as mere irritations with “once she has finished filming she will be free to return to NCIS”. As if NCIS is the thing she should be allowed to do with her career.
            Very few of those claiming to be her fans want her to do anything except “return to NCIS”, as illustrated in these comments.

I have seen plenty of posts hoping that NCIS will tank without her and/or calling for Wickersham to be fired for taking over from de Pablo.

• kath says:

There are some people who are the fanatic in fans (I’m sure I don’t need to point them out if you’re here). Always were, always will be. There’s also a lot of hate for her, partly because of the way she was written, partly because of how badly they handled the Tony/Ziva relationship, and sadly partly because of the fact that Ziva was a foreigner and was never low enough on the NCIS totem pole for their liking.

But if you look at the majority of CdP/Ziva fans, I think you’ll find that while they regret her leaving NCIS, they wish her well in her future. Some are still watching NCIS, others like me have moved on. (I like Ellie but I’m so bored with Gibbs, Tony, McGee, Abby and Ducky, they never seem to change or grow, it’s been 11 years in their own time warp.)

• Pete says:

Well I’ve run across this article again two months later and I stand by my previous comment. It is a really depressing indictment of de Pablo’s career that there are so many so-called fans who only want her to return to NCIS as Ziva and not do anything else. Although at least there are a few more looking forward to The Dovekeepers.

It’s also surprising how many here are flat our saying she made a wrong decision – as if they are more competent to define her life path than she is.

I am certainly looking forward to seeing the viewing figures for The Dovekeepers.

• Look to the NCIS facebook page that is held hostage by Bring Back Ziva and Bishop Sucks comments…. on any post regardless of topic.

• Oh, you mean the hundreds of different people that actually voice their opinions on Facebook in regards to the show and have been doing that for a long time? What about those that hated Ziva for years and tried for 8 years to get rid of her and guess what, they’re still not happy even though Ziva’s gone. :-)

• I think what Pete was saying is that yes, her fans love and support her as long as she is playing Ziva and doing what they want her to do. And there is an element (not all, but definitely an element) that seems to feel exactly that way.

• kath says:

I think that’s a small proportion of her fans, because there are fanatics everywhere. If you look at the comments here, no one is saying that.

• @Kath (have to reply to myself, since I can’t reply to you ’cause we’re too far down the reply chain) – the reply to the first comment on this article says exactly that:

marcel says:
            January 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM
            Not thrilled she moving on. Want her back.

Does that sound very supportive of her wishes and desires?

• kath says:

That’s one person, and even that person doesn’t want her career to tank just because she left NCIS..
            Most of the comments that are pro-Cote support her in her career even those people who wish Ziva were still on NCIS. (However, it seems to me that a few of the people who hate Ziva/Cote wouldn’t mind at all if her career tanked.)

• J.P. says:

When is the Dovekeepers show going to show?

14. kath says:

Thank you for this closure.

NCIS hasn’t been as good since she left, but I’m glad she’s feels happy with the decision.

• Anna says:

You haven’t watched the last couple of programs, have you? I thought they were very good. They were fast moving.

• kath says:

I haven’t caught the last episode yet but I did see the one where Diane was killed (sadly, because she was a recurring character I really liked). That episode was someone in Gibbs’ past targeting people he cared about to hurt him, followed by NCIS:NO, in which someone from Pride’s past targets people around Pride trying to hurt him. I like NCIS:NO (love Loretta, like Pride) but it seems like both shows are on a repeating loop.

• J.P. says:

I wish her the best in her indever.

15. Funny about her comments about the rushed feel of Ziva’s departure. .. Given it is known she basically couldn’t find time to actually be there for the first episode at all. Add in the lateness of her decision not to resign, verifiable facts, and yet history seems to have changed markedly in the mind of Ms de Pablo.
    As to her comments about her love, Michael, I think I would have preferred she address some of the behavior of some of her fans, particularly those who think Michael & Cote should be together instead of stirring the pot, again.
    I wish her well in her new career but much of this article feels like trolling by Cote for attention, particularly for Dovekeepers which she kind of needs to succeed.

• mimi says:

• Oh, you mean CBS needs this to succeed since they bought the rights long before Cote and the other cast members were announced. But sure, let’s lay blame at Cote if it falls apart and not CBS who was willing to invest time and money into this production with Roma and Mark.

• But I’m hoping this is a success for CBS and shows they’re willing to take risks on projects like this. :-)

• Pete says:

No, de Pablo was a success in a very successful TV show which she left at the height of its success – as with many actors before her in a similar situation, she could do with her ‘next’ project also proving to be a success. Whether anyone claims it to be attributable to her or not.
        That is totally seperate to CBS wanting it to be a success for their business reasons.
        If Dovekeepers proves to be a flop, of course there will some who will blame it on de Pablo, just as others will claim it is all on her if it is a success – merely because she is one of the more high-profile people associated with the project. That is the nature of showbiz.
        I wish her well both in her career and with the Dovekeepers, the subject matter does not appeal to me regardless of her participation (although I would likely have never heard of it without her involvement). I have a mild interest in seeing her play a part other than Ziva, but I might just wait for her next project.

• J.P. says:

The writers needs to write a better story so that the actor can do a better job playing it. It’s all the writers falt for the failure of the show.

• No, I meant Cote needs it to succeed… for all her drama education she has had basically ONE TV role. Many of her comments in this article are lacking in a degree in terms of truth… it is public record she suddenly didn’t sign at the last minute and couldn’t find time to be available to wrap up Ziva’s storyline well; she is said to have already had the role in 33 and in fact that was supposedly one of the sticking points.
        Apparently, she also didn’t want to do a lot of the publicity stuff that Sean, Pauley, and Michael do preferring to keep her private life private (and that’s her right) but she’s since glimmer onto social media for Dove keepers so again one questions the validity of her early dislike (see, I think her publicists have pointed out that apart from the TIVA fanatics she’s not that we’ll known).

• as524 says:

Actually no, it’s really cdp that needs DK to be a huge success as this is her first project away from NCIS.

oh and where is the proof that CBS bought the rights before the cast was announced.

• Shelly says:

The rights to The Dovekeepers were bought by CBS in December of 2013. Cote was announced as part of the cast in July, 2014. The rest of the cast was announced in July/Aug of 2014. Cote
          was already gone before CBS bought the rights as she left in July of 2013.

• John NYC says:

Actors routinely make the rounds for their soon to be released projects so Cote doing that is rather routine. And probably contractually required.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

She was here promoting the hell out of DOVEKEEPERS. And of course NCIS questions will be/were asked, hardly solicited. Nothing untoward going on.

• as524 says:

Kind of expected NCIS to be asked about, Matt….Would have been surprised if it wasn’t.

• reagan says:

If she was “promoting the hell out of DOVEKEEPERS” then shouldn’t the article have been about that show? It appears that, instead, you fell into the click-bait trap of writing an article that would only continue to inflame the pro/con Ziva/Cote debate. Questions to her about NCIS should have been a small paragraph in a larger article about an upcoming television show that she was promoting.

• ChristyCate says:

Gibbs doesn’t believe in coincidences and neither do I. Her opening her mouth just at the time she needs to drum up media buzz for her upcoming project? Not a coincidence. Her trying to stir the tiva fans? Not a coincidence. It’s all media spin and fan manipulation.

Too bad

• kath says:

Maybe it’s as simple as she was out doing p.r. for her upcoming movie, and she was asked by interviewers about the ending of her time on NCIS and answered their questions.

It doesn’t have to be some big manipulative thing.

• BJ says:

See Matt’s above comment. Regardless of if you’re a CDP fan or not, it is obvious she is promoting the the Dovekeepers, as she should and probably is contractually bound to do.

• Promoting Dovekeepers, yes….
          Stirring up TIVA fen by comments like herlove, Michael, NO, not cool.

• BJ says:

I saw that, but I’m choosing to not discuss it. That has no impact on why she was promoting a miniseries.

• as524 says:

and it’s obvious that both cote & roma are fine wiht using NCIS buzz to keep DK out there until it actually airs….

cdp, though, being willing to fan the MOTE flames yet again is just too much

• BJ says:

what I don’t understand (I guess never understood really) is why CBS or the NCIS brass didn’t put a stop to the really flirtatious MOTE stuff. They just don’t seem to have had MW’s back.

16. Emmalynn says:

she sounds content and very happy with the way things turned out. she has said all along it was her decision, and it sounds like her reasons were similar to Sasha’s (Kate) she needed time for herself. I love Ziva always have and always will, but the last yr and 1/2 some people have made it very difficult to even mention her name. The hate they have and openly showed for writers, actors producers etc has been sickening. NCIS is a great show but that’s all it is a show, entertainment. I hope this interview would quiet them up some, but I doubt it, so sad. But very happy the show has gone on and VERY successfully at that, and hasn’t been hurt at all Mark Harmon and the others and all the crew have shined through it all brightly, and will keep going strong .

17. Todd says:

I do miss Cote, and I look forward to her return if it ever happens. And if it doesn’t happen, still all the best to her. I do wish there could have been a way for her to return for Gibbs’ father’s funeral. As a favor to the person she looked up to. Maybe even as a face in the crowd around the casket.

18. Ange says:

Dead on screen does not mean dead off screen. For some reason I believe they are going to kill her character off screen and tie it into the Russian storyline with Gibbs they have going.

• carbono says:

I really doubt that they’ll kill off her character. She has a lot of fans so I think that they’ll probably have her appear in the last episode of the series whenever that is.

• John NYC says:

There’s not much storyline upside to that which I can see, internet would be more peaceful after a while but that’s a different thing eh?

And arguably with Diane’s death they’ve had enough bodies for a while, on or offscreen. I’m on board with how Jimmy was written on that score.

19. Ferneberga says:

Too little too late.

20. Sad says:

Call me crazy, but I don’t want her back at all.

21. Jan says:

Happy for Cote that she took time for herself and her family. It hasn’t been the same on NCIS since she left. There’s a void. I would love to see her return to the series even if it is on a part-time basis.

22. Babygate says:

I’m in! I love the story of Masada…

23. Heidi says:

I never did really see the chemistry between Ziva and Tony. To me, it almost seemed forced and not nearly as intense as it was between Tony and Jeanne Benoit. Now that time has passed, I would love to see that relationship revisited.

• as524 says:

oh yeah! Although I really hated the way they ended up writing Jeane as such a needy woman, I loved those two together since we actually got to see Tony as Tony and not just as the comic relief that he’s so often written as.

If they could get Scottie back, it would be great to find out that they found a way to keep in touch and had managed to become friends at the very least

• Sherri says:

Tony’s relationship with Jeanne was a more mature relationship. He was actually drawn into her life,though obviously difficulties doomed them since he was undercover. With Ziva, all I saw was games and walls to keep him out.

• Shelly says:

So, you think it is healthy to be in a “false” relationship based on lies? Umm Tony DiNardo, college professor? Did he really love her or was he in love with the idea of being in love in a normal life? Oh, and she then falsely accused him of murder. I think Tony deserves a little better than Jeanne, too.

• Sherri says:

The way it was written, it came across to me that Tony fell in love with Jeanne. He certainly cared for her deeply and had strong misgivings the longer the subterfuge lasted. He knew it was going to be devastating to her when she found out who he really was. As for her falsely accusing him of murder, well, the show IS a drama. Her father, who she had been very close to, had just been murdered and she found out the man she loved and thought she knew was an undercover cop who’d been investigating her dad – her world was upended. I can see how blaming Tony for her dad’s death would occur to her.
          Also, I referred to the relationship as more mature, not “healthy.” We saw Tony deeply relating to a woman in an intimate, caring, loving way. That’s boatloads more than we got with Ziva’s flirting and come-ons and then throwing up walls. But no, neither relationship was healthy. They were TV.

• Shelly says:

We could also say that Ziva was grieving the death of her boyfriend when she threw Tony on the ground and pointed a gun at him. So, why does Jeanne get a pass in grieving her father but Ziva doesn’t get a pass for grieving her boyfriend and finding out about her father’s betrayal? I am not saying either is right but people sure like to throw Ziva under the bus for having those emotions in the days following a significant death in her life.

• ChristyCate says:

Yeah. It’s true Tony did makeup a last name and a job but I always thought he was more himself when he was with Jeanne, more comfortable in his own skin. And yes, the bitterness got her in the end, but before then, she was in love with him and treated him with love and respect, which is a far cry from how Ziva treated him.

Jeanne never had a party for everyone on the team and didn’t invite only him on purpose and smirk smugly when he found out just to be mean, or request he be kicked off the team, or throw him injured to the ground and shove a gun in him, or leave him vulnerable without backup, and sleeping with Adam when he’d clearly given her his heart, couldn’t even be civil when he gave her his bed while she was grieving, and the look on his face when she and McGee opened the door to the dive apt. while she & McGee were tracking Bodnar knowing he’d been left out on purpose (& her face showed it) and when she had to call Gibbs to come save her showing she didn’t give Tony any credence as being able to help, disrespecting his leadership while Gibbs was in Mexico

and I’m sorry, but if someone crosses the world and rescues you from a terrorist and you can’t be nice to him for more than episode or 2?, someone does that for you, you don’t get to treat him like dirt ever again … just too many examples to name. Her belittling him and her ever-present air of superiority, going so far even as to refer to him as ‘dead weight’ (which the writers were happy to turn into a regular thing by turning her into wonder woman and everyone else nothing more than her props. She made it quite clear she had no respect for him and did not see him as an equal. And all the ‘are you jealous’ comments made ad nauseam told me she just wanted him to want her for the sake of having power over him, not because she had any real feelings for him. She even put him in the friend zone outside the cabin. There’s no question but that his relationship with Ziva was toxic for him.

If the writers had meant for me to like Ziva, they’d have made her a good person. People may not like Bishop but she is at least giving the team respect for their experience and is a team player and is eager to be mentored and is far less divisive to the team. More than can be said about Ziva.

And if Cote wanted me to think she was an honorable person, she would have handled her quitting and the subsequent fan fallout in a far more honorable manner.

• By your own reckoning, then he deserves better than Ziva, who also accused him of murder, as well.

• Shelly says:

Did I say anything about a Tony and Ziva relationship? I do not believe I even mentioned Ziva in my comment. And the point is over as she is no longer on the show. I do not think Michael Weatherly and his character should be held hostage until she chooses to return or not return. That isn’t fair to him in any way, shape or form.

• kath says:

Interesting how perceptions differ. I thought Tony’s relationship with Jeanne was all about lies and neediness. He lied, she lied to get back at him, and even in the end he couldn’t be honest with her about her feelings.

• Sherri says:

It is interesting how perceptions differ! I enjoy reading the comments and seeing how we all interpret the storylines our own way.

• kath says:

I thought Tony’s relationship with Jeanne was good for him in that it allowed him to grow up a little and open up to a mature adult relationship. And then the producers hit the breaks again and shoved him back into the immature Tony again because they never wanted anyone to change from who they were in the opening years, a bunch of single people solving crimes.
            I think a lot of the reasons people get angry at the show is because of decisions the show-runners have made, not the characters themselves or the actors. (I find it hard to believe that Michael Weatherly really wants to play Frat Boy for the length of his time on NCIS, or Sean Nerdy Clutz.)

• Donna says:

I ageer

• kath says:

Yeah. That would have been really hard to turn down.

I understand why she felt she had to leave, Mark Harmon is starring in his sixties, David MacCallum is working as much as he wants in his seventies, but women have a much harder time than men getting good roles as they age. I can think of only one woman in her sixties, Susan Sullivan on Castle, who has a regular gig on a TV show.

• J.P. says:

That was the writers doings. Not Tony’s.

24. Raven says:

I’d tap that.

25. Caren says:

Cote as Ziva is still greatly missed on NCIS. However, I am glad she (as an actress) has found a new vehicle for her many talents. I already have it on my calendar to watch on March 31st.

26. Margarete Dekorsy says:

Funny that some people don’t miss any opportunity to criticize Cote de Pablo!
    Downey, Burnett and CBS know what they are doing and don’t need any advice from people who say they hate Ziva but in fact hate Cote!
    Ziva isn’t back yet and Cote promotes the Dovekeepers now!
    Some people should really enjoy NCIS without her because she might return and that would be the end for some people to enjoy a Ziva-less show!

• Pete says:

Funny that some people automatically assume that a dislike (or even hate) of a character has any bearing on the actor playing the part.
      I dislike Ted Bundy, I know that Mark Harmon is not Ted Bundy so that has no bearing on my feelings for the actor.
      I don’t much like Ziva, I know that Cote de Pablo is not Ziva therefore it has no bearing on my feelings for the actor.
      Perhaps you assume that hate for Ziva is in fact hate for Cote because YOU have trouble seperating the two?

27. Jenna says:

She looks amazing! Can’t wait to see Dovekeepers. At the right time, I think an appearance on NCIS would be great. The show seems to be doing ok without her, but she is still missed. I love watching the old episodes on USA, including those with Sasha Alexander.

28. ChristyCate says:

The only reason she’s opening up now is for media buzz to drum up attention for the Dove Keepers not because she all of a sudden grew a conscience for hanging her show, coworkers and fans out to dry and then keeping her silence encouraging her fans to fill in their own blanks and attack the rest of the cast who didn’t deserve it. Her silence showed she didn’t care about them and yet here she calls Michael her “love” – just another manipulation when it suits her.

29. Becky Bergstrom says:

I am looking forward to seeing this show! I am a fan and yes, miss Cote (Ziva) on NCIS. I’ve seen another preview of this show. Really can’t wait to see! Thanks for sharing it!

30. Betty gilley says:

So very sad when you left ncis you were my late husband heroine. He waited excitedly each week. Your a very talented lady. The excert from the DOVEKEEPER IS AMAZING. PLEASE CONCIDER COMING TO ANOTHER STORY WITH NCIS.

31. awesome can not wait to see cote in a fresh story

32. Daya says:

Cote + Antonio Banderas + Gabriel Byrne. SIGN ME UP! :D <3

• kath says:

Yeah. That would have been really hard to turn down.

33. John NYC says:

Glad she’s moved on and is satisfied with her decision. I am.

• Darcey says:

As am I and really looking forward to seeing Dovekeepers. Meanwhile, I really enjoy Bishop and think having Ziva back would detract from the formula they have now that works quite well.

34. Sally says:

When an “outpouring of love” comes in the form of an avalanche of hatred spewed at your former cast mates and the network (you’re once again working for) I can’t see how I’d call that “humbling” while you sit by and say nothing. NOT ONE THING apart from thanking your fans. Smh.

• ChristyCate says:

Agreed. She encouraged that avalanche of hatred towards her cast mates by purposefully keeping her silence, choosing only to ‘open up’ when it conveniently played into her media needs for her new show. It more than intimates a disingenuous spirit. She more than had the right to leave but the way she chose to go about it and the way she chose to stay silent encouraging that avalanche speaks to a decided lack of character, decency and appreciation.

35. Katya says:

I think The Dovekeepers sounds rather interesting. I’ll be tuning in despite Miss de Pablo, who I found a very mediocre presence on NCIS with her one note smirking and hair twirling. I never saw the slightest spark between her and Weatherly and the idea of there being ‘honesty’ in their onscreen relationship is laughable, given that it was characterized by violence, meanness and the complete lack of any honest conversation between Tony and Ziva whatsoever, as well as being heavily dependent upon subtext and innuendo – neither of which could be called ‘honest’ in the case of Tiva.

I thought her ending was the most interesting the character has ever been – finally facing up to the sheer mayhem and misery her violent lifestyle had caused, not least to herself, and attempting to do something about it. Prior to that she seemed to glory in it, and I found the character a thoroughly nasty piece of work. I was glad she was gone, taking her endless revenge plotlines and incomprehensible Mossad episodes with her.

I wish the actress well for the future, hope I am pleasantly surprised by her performance in The Dovekeepers, and hope even more fervently that she never, ever returns to NCIS. The show is doing very well without her, as we always knew it would.

36. Daniel G says:

Thx for the interview with Cote… miss her on the show but she sounds so genuine and content.

37. I’m glad I’ll be able to see Cote de Pablo on the small screen again and can’t wait to see The 33 as well. It always kind of amazes me when people pick on actor for what’s wrong with a show and/or character because every show has writers, directors, showrunners who determine exactly what the character will do and say. The actor, in effect, has very little say about what happens to the character they play; they can only play the part they’re given. Unless they’re directing themselves and we’ve all seen what happens when that occurs. Sometimes it’s good like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino and sometimes it’s horrible like William Shatner in Star Trek V. Cote de Pablo gave me many hours of viewing pleasure during her tenure on NCIS. In fact, she kind of grew up there. She was only 25 when she started. If you were dissatisfied with her interpretation of Ziva then you need to look at the people behind the character not necessarily Cote de Pablo. I liked her then and I like her now and hope I get to see her in many more performances!!

38. Julie merritt says:

Thank You interviewing Cote. I hope that this will stop her fans from dumping on the Network and Bishop and the rest of the cast.

39. Ellinas1978 says:

All the NCIS programs is what’s wrong with Network TV right now.

40. Arlene Mary Jones says:

I still really miss Cote on NCIS,
    but I am thrilled she got to spend
    time with her family, & pursue
    other projects. Can’t wait 4 the
    “Dove Keepers”!! I know she will B Sensational!!!

41. Stephanie says:

Good interview. Looking forward to The Dovekeepers! :)

42. Pstr jm gow says:

Dont bring her back plZ

43. I say good riddance . She messed up a good thing, all by herself. I didn’t like it when Mike got killed off, but he was. I don’t like it when Bishop is bad mouthed, either. Either accept the show for what it is, or don’t watch it.

• Roger Jones says:

Her acting was sometimes up to and including mediocre. Her looks were A#1.
      Now she has lost her looks so we have another sub-par actress running around.
      Suggest you go see Bill Cosby’s Casting couch for a little rest. Of course Cosby would probably think it was Rosie O’Donnell at first glance

44. Gabi says:

This trailer looks amazing. Cote and the rest of the cast will rock in this. I am sure that this will show how great of an actress Cote is who was oftentimes hindered by the uninspired writing of the last couple of seasons of NCIS. I am definitely looking forward to March 31 and seeing Cote in other roles after this.

45. Bobbie Lesesne says:

I really hope the right story comes along on NCIS for Cote. I don’t watch it anymore and would love to see her back even if it was a short time. The fans of tiva want MORE closure. That would be great.

• Fans of TIVA want closure… says it all, not fans of NCIS, fans of TIVA; entitled, much.
      But then I have observed over the years that fans of TIVA don’t seem to be interested in any other part of NCIS rarely participating in general discussions etc, for them it is all about TIVA…
      Now me, I’d like to see Tony and Gibbs finally admit their sexual attraction which they have sublimated over the years due to DADT and the high levels of homophobia shown as normal in the USA by pretty much all TV programs. The chemistry when Mark and Michael are on screen sizzles…

46. This woman is incredible!!! I am so glad that the next work I will see Cote is something about Masada. It is almost like (forgive me for being a die hard fan of Ziva), she is connected with the Zealots of ancient Israel and the defiance of the Jewish People throughout history against those (the Romans in this case) who wish to destroy us. Please note that all of the cultures or rulers who wished to eliminate the Jewish People, we are still here, but they are not.

47. james king says:

48. Salie says:

I can’t stand Tonys new love interest. She’s fine as part of the show but horrible casting as his love interest. She looks so much older than he does – you could tell me she was 20 yrs older and I’d believe it. They are not believable together at all!!! No chemistry.

49. Tricia clifford says:

• Ro says:

I agree. Ziva was a complex and multi-dimensional character who provided a ariety of story lines. The replacement is one dimensional and her only emotion is a furrowed brow. Very disappointing… They should have gone with “Casey”.

50. John Scott says:

Some of you guys need to grow. Cote left because she tried to get more money and didn’t, thinking they would fall over themselves to pay her to stay. She’s a good looking girl but well away from being stunning! As for acting? Well all I can say I am not expecting to see her receiving an Oscar in the future for best leading lady. She’s gone and the shows still as popular. Says it all!

• John Scott You are right, some need to grow, it was her decision.

• August says:

The head of CBS said that they offered her more and more money, and that she didn’t really want to do the show anymore. The lovely lady wants to pursue on something else like movies as what Michael Weatherly said. And for her acting? I did a quick research that she just got two awards because of her performance as Ziva David, no one even on the show or the show itself won an award after all these years. The show maybe popular but it just didn’t have the same amount of ratings when she was still there.
      Try researching, it works all the time. And most importantly, get your facts straight over her.

• Erin says:

Ms. de Pablo was nominated multiple times for the Alma and Imagen awards and finally received each. Both of these are awarded to Latina actors and actresses, which is fine and good for her, but she had far less potential competition than being nominated for something like an Emmy which would be what the rest of the cast could qualify for.

• Fay says:

An Emmy Award, or simply Emmy, recognizes excellence in the television industry, and corresponds to the Academy Award (for film).
          The NCIS actors have never been nominated for Emmy. NCIS has never been nominated for an Emmy.
          Now, you should become better informed about Alma and Imagen, before mentioning these awards with that tone of contempt and compare them to Emmy. It’s very different awards.

• My Dad died the June before Ziva made her exit, which is a good thing because it would have killed him to see her leave the show. He had a stroke in 2008 that handicapped him therefore he got to watch alot of TV. Every time NCIS ould run on USA through the day, I would get a call from Dad saying “that Ziva is the prettiest woman on TV, no the world”. He was right! I miss them both. Good luck, And God speed in all you do. Thank you Mrs. De Pablo