CBS Renews Madam Secretary, Scorpion, NCIS: New Orleans

Madam Secretary Series Premiere Recap

CBS on Monday handed out early renewals to rookie dramas Scorpion, Madam Secretary and NCIS: New Orleans.

“These freshman dramas have each made a big impact on key nights of the week,” said Nina Tassler, Chairman, CBS Entertainment, in a statement. “Creatively distinctive, the series are backed by strong showrunners with amazingly talented casts, and have resonated with a big, broad audience.”

Per CBS, NCIS: NO, Madam Secretary and Scorpion rank as the season’s No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 new series among total viewers (18.1 million, 14.9 million and 14.5 million, respectively).

They jury’s still out on fellow freshman entry Stalker.

1. Jennifer says:

YES!!!! I LOVE Scorpion! And NCIS: NO and Secretary! These are great shows. Between this and the CW renewals (Arrow, Flash, The 100), I’m a happy camper!!!

2. Tran says:

Very happy to see Scorpion getting renewed. With CBS’ telecast of next year’s Super Bowl, I have a feeling that Scorpion is a likely candidate for its post big game slot.

3. Matty says:

I really like Madam Secretary and Scorpion, although I think both need some creative overhauling between seasons 1 and 2.

4. Steven says:

Stalker is most definitely dead then.

5. Dixie Lee Eubank says:

I love Madam Secretary and Scorpion. CSI New Orleans – I’m not to found of. IF there is anything else on, I usually change the station.

6. Julia says:

Excited about Madam Secretary and Scorpion! Nervous about Stalker though…come on it is a good guilty pleasure show!

7. Kathie says:

WhooHoo! My favorite new CBS shows. So glad they didn’t leave us in suspense.

• Kathie says:

As if NCIS NO wasn’t already one of my favorite shows, last night Diane Neal, reprising her NCIS role of Abigail Boren CGIS, gave an amazing reply when asked by an hispanic suspect where she learned Spanish. I almost fell off the couch when she said, “Mrs. ——‘s class at Chaminade-Julienne High School in Dayton OH.” YIKES! That’s where my kids and my sisters kids went and before the merger, the original schools where my husband and I (and my parents) and all of our siblings went. We call it CJ for short. Chaminade was the all-boys Catholic high school and Julienne, the all-girls school. They merged in the fall of ’73. I subbed there for 25 yrs and also taught 2 classes of Spanish I and a sophomore English in the ’83-’84 school year. I would love to know how the writers came up with that idea for the script. It was so cool to hear my favorite school mentioned on national TV. :)

8. Hell yeah! That just made my day!

9. worthymagic says:

I have one friend who says otherwise, but Madam Secretary may be one of the worst renewal decisions ever. Tea Leoni must have some good friends at CBS, or CBS has changed its strategy from last year, and is now renewing CHEAPER to make instead of BETTER. How can they renew this and end The Mentalist at 13 shows and be on the verge of canceling CSI? IT’S CALLED MONEY HONEY! Scorpion lost me and NCIS: New Orleans I really haven’t given a fair shot. Shame on CBS for starting to make the turn towards becoming NBC. NBC should immediately renew Law & Order: SVU. How humiliating that SVU is only a safe bet and Madam Secretary is coming back. DISGRACEFUL, NBC!

• Boiler says:

I suppose you are demo watcher instead of viewers but 12 million or so people would disagree with you. At least CBS seems to at least look at viewership which is nice for me who is not part of demo.

• RLF says:

Agreed, particularly with regard to the recent episodes of Madam Secretary… some of the smartest writing and best acting around. Tia Leoni is outstanding in this series.

• Ellie says:

Agreed! I love the writing and story-telling in Madam Secretary…so HAPPY that one of my fave new shows is doing so well and will be BACK!

• Thanh says:

Guess we’re all entitled to our opinions. Millions of others obviously disagree, which is why so many millions in total viewers watch these shows, and why they’re renewed. Nobody needs to speculate on why, when the numbers speak for themselves. I’m in the demo, and I like Madam Secretary, a lot. I get that you don’t like it, or the actress apparently, but “shaming” someone or a corporation for a sound business decision, based on facts (i.e., actual Nielson and other market values), is crazy talk.

• John NYC says:

Tea Leoni’s got 14.9 million “friends” Lol, no need for conspiracy theories with numbers like that. CBS is in the business of providing eyeballs to their customers and that’s a lot of eyeballs.

• mary says:

Just because you don’t care for it, doesn’t mean there’s some back-door conspiracy. The Mentalist was lucky to get a reprieve to end it with a decent finale. CSI we don’t know yet. And CBS doesn’t control what NBC does. I really don’t think you need to worry about SVU though.

• Gail Baggett says:

Madam Secretary is one of the best CBS shows in a long time. It it not boring in any part. No parts drag out too long. Love it.

• Rev. Dr. Paul O. Bischoff says:

Her name is Tia…as in 2 syllables…..Tea is something you drink and yo’ve got it all wrong……some of the best writing on TV appears in MS…

10. ScorpionGlow says:

I love Stalker, so I am hoping it will be renewed.

11. Boiler says:

Madame Secretary and Scorpion my 2 favorites!! Guess that kills the naysayers, especially Secretary. Wish CW had been a little smarter.

12. JC says:

Yayyy I really enjoy Scorpion. Don’t watch MS or NCIS NO but congrats to them also! Sad for Stalker, doesn’t look good for a s2, but I actually think it’s a decent show!

13. Kiim R says:

Love Madam Secretary! We don’t watch Scorpion but my husband really likes NCIS:NO. We also enjoy Stalker so I’m hoping it makes the cut.

14. mari johnson says:

We are enjoying Stalker as well as the other CBS shows. It is edgy and suspenseful. Haven’t watched Madame Secretary.

15. Badpenny says:

I have been somewhat disappointed with Scorpions of late. Too much melodrama and not enough intellect. Only half the season in and they are already redoing “smart stuff” from the earlier seasons – such as putting a glass of water on the safe. If the writers want to write geniuses they need to get a smarter on how they do it.

• JC says:

I think Scorpion has really gotten better as the season has gone on. I rewatched a few earlier eps and it was trying to find its feet, but now I think it’s done that. The cast is really tight, and it helps with the heartfelt family feel they’re going for. Sure that makes it a little corny and melodramatic at times, but I’m a sucker for those cute endings, lol

16. Pam goodley says:

Surprised Md. Sec got renewed it is good show and got trampled with the football overflows on Sundays Rarely got to see a whole episode

17. vicki says:

should have let Stalker be the spin off of Criminal Minds..Stalker rocks!!!!

18. karen1228 says:

Happy to hear about Scorpion and Madam Secretary. while I love NCIS and NCIS LA, NCIS NO leaves me flat – maybe it’s the forced, fake southern accents. I would love to hear that Hawaii 50 and Blue Bloods have been renewed!

• Jason says:

Actually, that is how Lucas Black talks… it does sound fake, but that is all him.

• Susan says:

I thought that also about NCIS:NO until I found out Lucas Black is from Decatur Alabama. I think the others have toned down their accents a little. I love all three of these shows. I am very happy that they are all coming back!

• Kat Canady says:

If you remember the movie “Switchblade” (many years ago), Lucas Black played in it. He sounds the same as a grownup. I love to hear him talk. But hey, I’m from the South!

• Susie says:

I agree with your comment. Tea Leoni is awesome in her role in Madam Secretary. We look forward every Sunday to see a drama series that keeps our interest every single week. Of course, followed by the Good Wife. I am still an avid fan. I like Scorpions and am glad it has been renewed, but they do need some fresh ideas. As for NCIS NO, not a fan at all. Scott Bacula is OK in the part, but the male agent with his terrible southern accent just turns me off. Rather watch NCIS and NCIS LA. I have always been a fan of the Mentalist, but I suppose it is best to finish the series on a high note. Love Hawaii 5-0 but it has been moved so many times, I don’t remember when it is on. A lot of good shows on TV especially on CBS. But there are many on other networks that I rather just keep the TV turned off.

19. Billie says:

I watch all 3 and was afraid after reading they were on the fence. I am so glad they got renewed.

20. George says:

Scorpion is so by-the-books its dead boring

21. carla owen says:

Please keep stalker

22. Katherine215 says:

Maybe season 2 of Scorpion will explain what the heck Paige’s purpose is. She sure doesn’t seem to “explain the world” or contribute anything useful, other than being a love interest for cranky Walter.

• lechatnoir says:

Catherine MacPhee is one of those chicas that’s pretty but is only there because she bought this pointless role. They could have hired the blond girl from leverage , she is funny , sexy , witty etc..

23. worthymagic says:

Has any new episodes of Madam Secretary scored higher in the ratings than any repeat of episodes of season 5 of The Walking Dead this season? I’m glad so many people are excited by mediocrity. Since most of you seem to be very happy that this show is coming back, I guess I’m in the minority on this one. Enjoy.

• Melala says:

Different type of network and completely different type of shows.

• mary says:

Completely different types of shows. Do you think those of us who watch MS, don’t watch WD? I watch both. It’s called variety! And lot of it comes from liking & watching the characters. You don’t like the characters-fine. Move on.

24. suzyku says:

Very pleased about this news! I love all three of these shows on CBS!

25. My parents and I both love Scorpion, so…yay! :) This kind of makes up for not getting anymore Cover Affairs for me.

26. Ashley says:

Hooray about Scorpion! I just hope NCIS LA gets renewed…

27. doris says:

This is great news. I love Madam Secretary, it’s an outstanding show and the story telling and acting is so adult.

28. Dan says:

I’m really happy about Scorpion, Madam Secretary is OK and NCIS NO is also good. Scorpion is the only one I wait for all week. It’s just great!

29. DD says:

I especially like Scorpion. Also Madam Secretary and NCIS-NO. Hope Stalker gets renewed – I do like that show too.

30. Fossie says:

I love stalker
    Hope it gets renewed

31. lechatnoir says:

Madame la Secrétaire is an okay dokay show but a second season wasn’t necessary. Leoni is just reciting her lines. She has no soul .

32. Susan Bethards says:

Madam Secretary is absolutely wonderful.The actor’s are all top notch. The series showcase individual issues and explore a different character along side the main stars.It opens up the show
    It also shows the main actors are very able and willing to “share ” the spotlight to bolster the divergence of issues to draw from in this tv series.It is just the bomb as my grandkids say!! It is a very believable and likeable series.We like the characters and root for them.

33. Thanh says:

Yay! My favorite current show on CBS is Madam Secretary. I also like Scorpion, and wish well for NCIS: New Orleans.

34. Susan says:

Plase give Stalker and Scorpion a chance to build a fan base.Scorpion has really grown on me. I actually thought after the premiere i would not watch again.I gave it another chance and the chatacters are developing nicely.We are learning more about each character and it is becoming very interesting.
    Stalker is actually quite exciting.I have learned a lot about stalkers and the group of agents solving the crimes are flawed characters,but able to work as a unit to solve these crimes. I clearly do not understand the dislike of this subject matter.When we have childrens crime, rape and worse how can a show be canceled over stalking.? I think it is a exciting and scary series.I like it too more and more as the characters unfold.

35. Lizo says:

Yay!!! I love Madam Secretary. I hope the writers take the renewal break to reorganize the show a bit. I love it, but it’s kind of all over the place. It needs to be a little sharper, quicker and I dunno, fix the office staff (except her assistant – he’s cool the way he is)

36. YAY!! I’m super excited for this. Love these shows

37. mzglorybe says:

Love all these shows, hope Stalker makes it too.

38. Shaun Cox says:

I really enjoy these show’s and that means they probably won’t last. How do I know it’s simple look at Longmire, and Perception.

39. The stalker is one of the best new shows- It has all the bells and whistles it needs to make a good series- good acting- thrills, chills and edginess – and the subjest is very in the moment- This kind of stuff takes place a lot more than we know- just read the police reports- stalking is dangerous and it happens, even in my town. let’s hope the powers that be se it that way- keep it on

40. albertj15 says:

They are all great shows

41. Rita McKeown says:

I LOVE ALL the “NCIS” SHOWS!!! don’t miss ONE EVER!!! I am also enjoying ” Scorpion” & “Madam Secretary” but how can ya’ go wrong with THE LEADING LADY!!! SHE ROCKS!

42. Rita McKeown says:

I was getting into ” The Stalker” I think Dylan McDermott IS GREAT!!! I like to see it get ANOTHER SEASON & see where it goes …..

43. tiffany says:

Love scorpion.the other two not as much.to much ncis now.

44. Dave says:

Ugh, they renew Madam Secretary and not Stalker?!? Stalker is so good!

45. susan says:

We love stalker! It is exciting to watch. Please don’t cancel. Like it even better than criminal minds. Please keep….

• Don’t see how Stalker is better than Criminal Minds. I think I caught a few seconds by accident because I couldn’t change the channel fast enough. I’m probably in the minority that wants it cancelled. I never got into it.

• yosemitek says:

Yea CM is much better than Stalker. I was watching Stalker but it was getting pretty dark at the end. I liked it better when each episode had it’s own story line

46. susan says:

Please keep stalker. We love this show even better than criminal minds. Please don’t cancel.

47. Great news for NCIS: NO – I like the show and the actors. I’ve not yet watched the other two, but I’ve heard good things about Madam Secretary and plan to check it out.

48. That’s great news for NCIS: NO. I really like the show, the characters, and the actors. I’ve heard good things about Madam Secretary but haven’t had a chance to check it out.

49. Paul Piper says:

Please keep the Stalker series running. It’s one of my favs, I look forward to its showing every week. Thanks. P S. I am a male, & 62 yrs old.

50. Linda Swanson says:

I love the show Stalker! Very intense from the get go! Please renew this show! CSI and all the really good shows are being replaced by stupid reality shows, where shows like Stalker, Madam Secretary, and Scorpion is about now!