Arrow Bosses on Felicity's Feelings for Oliver: 'She Definitely Speaks Up'

“Don’t ask me to say that I don’t love you.”
“And you know how I feel about her.”
“I love you.”

Those are all the ways that Oliver has declared his feelings for Felicity on this season of Arrow. But thus far, his Girl Friday has been pretty mum about where her heart lies when it comes to her partner. Rest assured that will all change when the presumed dead Oliver makes his way back home to Starling City.

“She speaks up!” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells TVLine. “She definitely speaks up, but not quite in the way I think people are expecting. She has a lot of strong feelings.” (Could EP Marc Guggenheim’s tweet, teasing his favorite moment from an upcoming episode — “I don’t want to be a woman you love” — be a bad omen?)

The scene in question, which takes place at the end of Episode 12, “probably is my all-time favorite Emily Bett [Rickards] performance,” Guggenheim enthuses. “She is so, so, so, so incredibly strong in that scene, it’s ridiculous.”

For the would-be couple, “this season is really about them saying all the things they’ve never said” after two years of “teasing each other,” Kreisberg adds. “Where that takes them is to some tough places, but also to some right places. The how and the why and the when and the where of that is the fun in the back half of the season.”

Olicity fans, are you excited for Felicity’s big declaration?

1. GildedRose says:

I love Oliver and Felicity. I’ve buckled my breastplate for a bumpy ride but it’s clear that Felicity is in love with Oliver and that he loves her. I’m totally rooting for them to get through all this darkness and come out the other side together. Bring it, Arrow writers.

2. Foshi says:

Bring on the PAIN! Diehard Olicity shippers wanna see it. We want hard choices, sacrifice, commitment, and pain. Why? Epic hero journeys and epic love stories are not told through date nights and hand holding. Felicity and Oliver share trust, friendship, honesty and love and deserve an epic love story. They also live in the world of Arrow where not everything is sunshine and roses. It’s life and death. It’s hard choices. There are people’s live at stake. To find your true love and happiness in this type of world has to be at a cost or it doesn’t mean anything. I have trust in Arrow and the Arrow writers. Felicity makes Oliver a better hero but they both deserve happiness. Neither is at fault and the beginning of season 3 has shown that these writers know what they are doing. I have faith! Olicity forever!

3. Ky says:

Poor Felicity.

4. Gail says:

Spin Felicity off with The Atom if that goes to series and leave Arrow dark and Black Knighty , A win win situation. Arrow is supposed to end up with Black Canary anyway.

• God this never gets old. Have you not been watching the show? Laurel / Oliver are over.

• Sara says:

That ship sunk faster than the titanic….He pretty much told Laurel that he cares for her and loves her but he is not IN LOVE with her.

• nikitab says:

This! In addition to the fact that the casting of an anorexic, botoxed actress put the nail in that coffin. There’s just no buying them together. In contrast, Felicity is real, and believable.

• nikki says:

This is why I hate Olicity shippers. Rude, selfish and hateful.

• wonderwall says:

@nlkltab That was way out of the line. Katie Cassidy (while she looked unhealthy in season 2) gained back the weight and is quite muscular now and is really pretty (this part is subjective). And looks have nothing to do with why Laurel’s relationship with Oliver failed.

@nikki, please don’t generalize the shippers. It’s just plain wrong.

• Jess says:

Seriously? This is way out of the line. Stop giving Olicity fans a bad name, we’re not all like that, far from it, I’d say. Yes, I love Oliver and Felicity, I think Oliver and Laurel have no chemistry and have way too much baggage to ever be a viable and enjoyable TV couple again, but I don’t hate Laurel nor will I attack a real person for it. Katie is a good, capable actress, and not to mention a BEAUTIFUL person. From what I’ve seem of her on interviews, she’s also really nice. Stop with this offensive non-sense. Show your love for Felicity and Olicity, if you’re unsatisfied with Laurel and/or Laurel/Oliver scenes, you can also share your opinion, but there’s no need to be this mean.

• Jess says:

@nikki: Not all of us act like that. Generalizing all Olicity fans like this is almost as bad as attacking Laurel/Katie.

• Sil says:

This. Please, say it again to all those who think that this show is a clone to the comics they’ve read.

• disonba3 says:

NO! I’ NOT happy!!! Felicity needs to go off with another person’s man, Oliver belongs with Lauren!!!

• Gail says:

Didn’t Oliver and Stephen Arnell in interviews during the 1st two seasons say Ollie loved but was not in love with Felicity . Stuff changes over time. He also hasn’t seen Laurel being a superhero in his absence. Laurel has no purpose on the show without a strong personal connection to Ollie. Of course a lot of people on this board would like her to leave but I don’t think that is happening.

• I dont want her to leave. However they dont need to be romantically involved because of the comics. Their relationship as lovers was at best unhealthy, not to mention Oliver and Felicity work better as a couple.

• murley says:

I agree completely. I don’t want Laurel to leave the show but I don’t want to see them force her and Oliver together. Comic book canon is malleable. Even currently in comics Superman and Lois Lane aren’t together so clearly nothing is sacred! Oliver and Laurel share a romantic past. That is enough of a nod to their relationship in the comics. They are clearly telling a love story for Oliver and Felicity. Let them.

• Sara says:

Stephen Arnell maybe because Stephen Amell has never said that.

• brenna says:

I actually just read an interview with Stephen Amell where he said that his relationships with Laurel and Sara were his connection from the past and who he was then. He tried to reconnect to that through Sara but it didn’t work. He said that Felicity has been a guiding force in who Oliver is becoming. That makes sense. I believe the writers have honored comic canon by his relationship with Laurel and Sara, but they can be original in the future if they want to. They have shown that they are telling their own Green Arrow story while still honoring the previous comics.

• Luis says:

Its season 3 – there are lots of miles to travel before this series ends, and I could easily see a scenario that brings Oliver and Laurel back together

• Tobias says:

Sometimes I shake my head at this notion that Dinah and Oliver are done. They marry in the comics.. why make a show that is based off the Green Arrow and not follow the comics? Annoys me.

• Briggs says:

I’ve heard the EPs say that Felicity isn’t going anywhere, and neither is Atom, despite all the talk about a rough idea for the show in the works (might take another year, and even then, Felicity is still staying put). And seeing as Stephen has said he thinks that ship has sailed, I don’t see Oliver with BC. Besides, can you imagine how ticked he’s going to be when he finds out she did precisely what he told her *not* to do? That confrontation will not end well.

• Drew says:

In his Facebook videos, Stephen has repeatedly said that he isn’t going to be taking sides about who Oliver would or should end up with. So if he ever implied that that ship has sailed, I wouldn’t invest a whole lot in those comments. Ultimately, he has no say in the decision anyway..

• Briggs says:

No say? He’s the one who suggested the way in which Oliver meets his babymomma for the first time, post-island. He insists on doing some stunts shirtless so they don’t use his stunt double. The fact that they let him influence how a story arc is going to start says a lot about his influence.
          And no, he has no preference. But in the interview at SDCC, he made it clear he felt that ship had sailed. If he feels the plot doesn’t serve the show, he won’t want to do it. And obviously, when Stephen speaks, the writers pay attention.

• Drew says:

You’re talking about two little suggestions and saying that it equals plotting out major arcs for the series? That isn’t even remotely how it works.

• Briggs says:

Those were two examples to show he has input. Unless you can prove those are the only two times he had any effect on the story boarding process…?
            He’s always in contact with the producers, he’s focused on making Arrow the best show it can be, and that means putting in hours and doing the work, which may not mean just acting his role on the show. He’s a busy guy, not just the lead actor on the show.

• Kate says:

Lol you’re basically saying that the only way BC and GA end up together is if Felicity is not on the show. Wow.

Why do people want Laurel to end up with Oliver when he slept with every other woman, including her sister? It’s gross. He even got another woman pregnant while he was with her. That’s not something worth fighting for. That is best left in the past.

I’m glad this show is finally seeing that O/L just don’t work romantically. Let them have a partnership as GA/BC but nothing more. Oliver is so in love with Felicity, I don’t see how it would be a possibility anyway. I’ve never seen him so in love before. Ever.

• tohid says:

If oliver sticks with laurel then that would be the worst thing that can happen Arrow…. I personally stop watching arrow….

• Missingalias says:

I totally agree with you. I have always hated laurel and can’t stand her getting a larger role in the last season. Why dont’t they just kill her off?. without felicity and arrow connection i would have stopped watching a long time ago…just because of laurel.

5. Amber says:

I’ve been waiting for Felicity to really let us in on what she is feeling. I can’t wait. Emily is going to kill it. I love Oliver and Felicity.

6. kath says:

After the debacle of the TCA panel, putting Felicity aside to prop Ray and Laurel getting into the Arrow lair, I’m going to need some really good stuff on Felicity to make up for it.

I just hope the writers are better than to write the cheesey tropes of suddenly Felicity dates Ray because it’s too dangerous for Oliver to be with her or she’s got abandonment issues or whateverz.

• Sara says:

That trope is getting is as cheesy as Oliver seeing her kiss Ray. I don’t want Felicity being romantically involved with Ray…they should remain friends and he needs to stop with his constant stalker like way.

• Jake says:

^This! How much more contrived is Arrow going to be??!! Oliver seeing Felicity being kissed by Ray….bringing back a character from the dead, etc….what I wouldn’t give for this show to find it’s creative juices again.

• Kate says:

Same. It was bad enough that Oliver saw Felicity kiss Ray but it just showed that the Ray/Felicity thing is really not about them, it’s more about how it can affect Oliver and Olicity, otherwise Oliver wouldn’t have seen the kiss.

I can buy that Felicity has abandonment issues though. I’d find that more believable than her suddenly having feelings for Ray. I just don’t see those two at all.

7. Mel says:

It’s been a while since I’ve rooted for two fictional characters to get together. I hope these two kids find a way to make it work.

8. Trish says:

Incredible. Just incredible. I’ve loved the chemistry between Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickard since their first scene in 1×3. So to have spent the past 2.5 years watching the story of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship grow, has been one of the most flawless aspects of Arrow. This dynamic has remained unwavering and consistent. While the action may be great, it’s the character development and investment in the characters that keep me watching. I’ve never loved and empathized more with Oliver Queen than I do in Season 3. I credit that to now believing him to be a hero and a good man. What do you want for a good man that you care about? The good woman that helped him get there. Well done, Arrow. Well done.

• msdaccs says:

Exactly!!! Couldn’t agree more! It’s been amazing watching these two grow as persons! Oliver transformation, into becoming a hero, a better person, and Felicity has been with him, showing that maybe there’s another way to do things…! Can’t wait to see what’s coming between them! In season 3, Oliver Queen, showed how much he had changed, that he is in love with Felicity, and wants a better life, and he can’t hide anymore his feelings, because of how strong they are!! #Olicity

• Laura says:

I couldn’t agree more. Oliver and Felicity have such amazing chemistry together. I would like to see them move towards each other before the season ends. I hate when the writers drag the romance out for years. They are perfect for each other.

• Stefani says:

Amen to that, Trish! The screen chemistry & character development between Stephen/EBR over S1 & S2 has been what captivates & draws fans in just as much as the phenomenal action scenes & direction (Glen Winters rocks). The Olicity dynamic is what keeps us coming back, regardless of how great the stoytelling is (it’s great, btw). It’s why we watch, period. Entertainment is all about that suspension of disbelief, and Arrow has our fandom believing. We believe in Oliver, we believe in Felicity, we believe in all these characters. When you’re emotionally invested in them like our Arrow fan base is, you want them to thrive, and so yes, I am unashamed to admit I want the hero that I believe in to find true love with the woman that I believe in, whom he happens to be madly in love with. Comic book lore be damned, please, Arrow writers & producers: let Olicity live! For crying out loud (and, oh, I will be if they don’t end up together…I may not be able to continue watching…the thought of Felicity with Ray makes me puke in my mouth a little bit…)

9. disonba3 says:

10. BT says:

Thank you for the interview. I am so invested in Felicity and Oliver individually and as a couple (Olicity). This love story has been so well written that it’s hard to believe it wasn’t the plan from the beginning. Every scene w/SA & EBR together is a good one, I don’t doubt they will knock it out of the park. Looking forward to this development on Arrow.

11. Briggs says:

Oh, this is going to be great. :) I love watching their scenes, they just have so much depth and complexity. Whatever happens when Oliver comes back, i expect it to be good. Even if it hurts.

12. K says:

I’m glad she’s speaking up finally. She might not say she loves him but I think it’s obvious. I’m here for the ride though. Nothing is ever easy!

13. Drew says:

Here’s hoping that they pull the band-aid off quickly and put that relationship to rest. Forever. It’s been dragging the show down all year.

• Kate says:

Says you. A lot of people happen to like it.

Says you.
        See, that’s a weird comment to make. You just said it, so of course you said it. Who else would have said it?

• Kate says:

Dude, it’s a figure of speech but whatever. I’m not here to play into your need for attention. Bye!

• Katy says:

Im with kate here… i dont feel that olicity drags the show down at all… so maybe you should word your statement differently because it kind of sound like your stating a fact and not given your opinion… just saying

• Drew says:

Seriously? This is where we’ve come as a society? Where someone states an opinion and people feel a need for them to issue a disclaimer beforehand, stating that the thoughts and opinions posted by this person are not necessarily that of the whole of humanity?

I will when you do.

• Briggs says:

For you. it’s been dragging down the show *for you*. Don’t presume that your opinion is the dominant one. The rest of us who’ve posted (all but three, including you) happen to like the pairing. Please be more specific in future posts.

Besides, the ratings? Have not sucked.

• Drew says:

I just assumed that my comments were in reference to my own opinions. Did I imply that I was issuing a press release on behalf of all fans everywhere?

And I would warn you not to believe that the vocal voices on sites like this are the majority either. As we learned over years of screeching fangirls ranting about Supernatural, sometimes the loud ones are just the loud ones. Arrow is a series that is geared toward dudes who like comic books and actions shows. How many of the “Olicity” fans posting here fall into that demo? For the most part, men aren’t going to be discussing shipper issues one way or the other. What you’re left with is a loud vocal portion of the fanbase with little from the side which either doesn’t really care, or would prefer them to tell good stories and not focus on romantic drama.

• kath says:

You’re forgetting dudes like the one who do the Realmcast who mock Laurel mercilessly, and John Campea who has said he will stop watching the show if Laurel becomes the Black Canary. You’re forgetting the reviewers, who often say that the Team Arrow of Oliver/Diggle/Felicity is the best part of the show, or the ratings going down for Laurel-centric episodes.
          You may be part of the younger male demographic, but you don’t speak for all of it.

• Drew says:

I never said that I did. None of what you just said showed an example of the male demographic drawing a hard line in favor of Oliver and Felicity, the way the conversations around this site tend to go.
            Most of your response to me revolved around Laurel for some reason. I wasn’t even talking about Laurel, but it’s interesting to note that the writers don’t seem to have listened to these vocal people who threatened to stop watching if Laurel became Black Canary. Did they stop watching? Because it’s happening.

• kath says:

It hasn’t happened yet though. And we won’t know the actual effect till the end of the season.

I mentioned Laurel because the dudes (to use your word) who are using social media draw the line against Laurel as Black Canary, not Oliver being with Felicity. As long as Oliver and Felicity don’t change, they don’t seem to mind it.

• Rob Watkins says:

What Laurel centric episodes are you referring to?

The show isn’t going under either creatively or viewer wise just because of Laurel. I do think she’s unfairly maligned and many people will come to see her as badass over the course of the show. The dislike for Thea went away this season because of her story with Malcolm.

• Drew says:

Rob, the hate for Laurel will never go away because the people who hate her the most are those whole see her as a threat to the Oliver/Felicity pairing. She could become the best character in the history of television and the shippers would hate her because she’s too close to Oliver.
            But I agree that she has come a long way this year. I’m glad that she doesn’t have to twiddle her thumbs in the background anymore.

• kath says:

Speaking for myself, how I feel about Laurel has nothing to do with how I feel about Felicity.
            Laurel is the most judgmental and self-absorbed character on any TV show that I watch and she makes Oliver into an off-putting jerk. I stopped watching the show after the pilot episode because they were both so awful.

Later on I was channel-surfacing, saw a scene with Felicity and thought I’d give the show another chance. By then, Diggle and Felicity had turned Oliver into a rootable character so I stayed.
            If Felicity hadn’t been brought on the show, I wouldn’t be watching now and neither would the four people I talked into tuning in..

• Rob Watkins says:

Who did she judge so harshly? Thea was way more self absorbed than Laurel was, and at least Laurel had a job that allowed her to do good in the world. Oliver being “off putting” was intentional. He’s damaged from his time on the island, but even then he’s a good guy, and the show isn’t about good people doing nice things and being sweet to each other. It’s about a guy who can fight and shoot a bow who is trying to protect his city. It’s an action show, and you are constantly making it like it should be the Felicity show.

• kath says:

Thea was 17, a time when even normal kids turn narcissistic and judgmental. And she’d been traumatized when she was 12 and lost both her father and brother and her mother for a time when she went into a depression. Laurel was in her late 20s and a professional.

I agree that Oliver being difficult was intentional but I still liked him with Tommy whereas with Laurel he was cringeworthy and it was so obviously going to be the OTP of the show.
            It’s understandable that Laurel was angry at Oliver but she was also nasty to Tommy who wanted to be with her (she turned down the CNRI fundraiser because she said he “just wanted to get into her pants”), she was cruel to her mother in Salvation, she lied to a number of people including Thea and her father, and later in the season she was inexcusably rude to Diggle and Felicity.
            There’s no accounting for taste and Laurel just presses all my buttons about things I dislike about narcissists.

• Rob Watkins says:

She wasn’t nasty to Tommy. She let him down easy, plus they had already been down that road before and she wasn’t comfortable. We’ve had these discussions many times, and having looked back at many of the scenes you’ve referred to, you blow things completely out of proportion or just flat out misread line deliveries. Laurel didn’t put Tommy down out of spite. She was still friendly with him, but as we saw previously, Tommy had some growing up to do and at that point was a well known playboy. Of course she would think he just wanted to get in her pants. She wasn’t rude to Felicity and Diggle, she asked politely if she and Oliver could talk alone. Pretty much everyone lies to everyone on TV. I don’t think Laurel is any more malicious in her intent than Oliver was.

Thea gets some leniency being 17, but that’s still old enough to not be a brat and do drugs and obnoxious things just to spite your family, including taking drugs and crashing your birthday present. I don’t hold her nor Laurel’s addiction against them anymore since they have both come out the other side, but at least Laurel isn’t trusting a mass murderer.

I don’t get what your issue was with Oliver and Laurel’s OTP being obvious.

• kath says:

I felt so sorry for Tommy during the dinner with Oliver and Helena, First Laurel got upset because broke Tommy couldn’t bribe to get a table, and then she embarrassed him in front of Oliver and Helena. Even Helena bailed on that one.
            My point was that I don’t dislike Laurel because of Felicity, I dislike Laurel because of Laurel.

• Rob Watkins says:

No, you don’t like her for odd reasons to the point that you blow stuff COMPLETELY out of proportion. At the dinner, she thought it would be a good idea if he worked with Ollie, but it was Tommy being insecure that was the cause of his discomfort. She didn’t do anything malicious. She was genuinely trying to help, and he did end up realizing she had a great idea when he got over his ridiculous insecurities. You constantly bend every scene in order to justify this odd hatred for a fictional character.

“The scene with Felicity I was referring to was in s1 The Undertaking but we’ll just have to agree to see it differently.”
            Which scene?

• Briggs says:

And conveniently? You totally skip over my ratings comment, just opting to attack the fandom. Again, the show *is not dying*. It’s been renewed for a fourth season, in fact. And seeing as Olicity has about 2-5 minutes screen time per ep (usually), I hardly think it’s dragging down the show. If you would like to show me the many, many links to forums where everyone *hates* Olicity, however, I may shut up about it. So far, I’ve only found one, and that’s IMDB.

• Drew says:

I know that we disagree about things often, but have you hit your head lately? I voiced my opinion and warned against believing that the vocal fangirls are the majority of the show’s watchers. We learned this lesson with Supernatural.
            Why are you acting like I just ran over your puppy?

• Briggs says:

And again, you avoid the fact the ratings have not gone down. If the fangirls really were ruining the show, the ratings would reflect that.
            The next time you respond, don’t act like I’m playing the victim, and respond to what I said. Not just what you think I missed. Because I’ve missed nothing.

• Drew says:

I never said that the ratings were going down! You made that up in your own little head and then created an entire conversation around it, which you really don’t need me to play a part in. So go do that. Let me know if imaginary me wins the argument when it’s all said and done.

• Briggs says:

No, you said the pairing was dragging the show down. I was using the ratings to show you that that assertion is just not true. But you spent two (three?) whole posts ignoring that point. I’m sorry if you weren’t paying enough attention to see that, but that was my whole point.

• “For the most part, men aren’t going to be discussing shipper issues one way or the other.” I wasnt going to comment but i found trouble understanding:
          a) Why do you think mens’s preference and opinions over a show or what works in it are more important, diminishing females opinion not only saying that “dudes” are the ones who read comics but also calling people who enjoy the monatic aspect of a show “fangirls”? Why do you think the fact that you enjoy more the action on the show makes your opinion more important than those who enjoy other element’s?
          b)Also, havent they told you? Arrow has 6 million people that watch it right now. Not even 1/4 of them are comic book fans. So no, its not only about “dudes” who like comic books. There is no way either that out of the 6 million fans worldwide people care only about the action of the show. You dont have statistics to support what you say, you make assumptions.
          By the way, fans usually enjoy one show for many things. If you watch it only for the action im sorry to dissapoint you but you dont know how tv shows work. Everyone has to get something they like. Every fan needs to have a reason to watch. Otherwise the show would have been canceled seasons ago.

• murley says:

I started watching this show because I am a women in her mid thirties who is an avid comic book reader and DC fan in particular. And over the course of the show I have become invested in the romantic story of Oliver and Felicity. So does that make me one of the dudes who like comics that this show was “made for” or a screaming fan girl? Gosh, I am so confused.

• Drew says:

You’re right. I am totally wrong. Everyone loves “Olicity”, nearly as much as they love Glee. This is so clear to me now. That’s why all of the men in this conversation are creating needlepoint pillow covers with “Olicity” on them, and creating fanfic that centers on how MFEO they really are.
            For future reference, a “dude” would be the people with boy parts. A woman in her mid thirties probably wouldn’t fall into that demo.

• murley says:

Ok. I don’t remember speaking for “everyone”. Pretty sure I talked about myself only. I was trying to point out that you might not want to generalize so much but I can see now that was pointless. Carry on.

• Teresa Rhoda says:

“Arrow is a series that is geared toward dudes who like comic books and actions shows”. I am curious. Why do you think this multi million dollar show is geared only for dudes who like comic books and action shows? Should women be banned from enjoying comics and action shows? Should a person’s genitalia determine what type of comics and shows they should watch and/or enjoy?

• Stefani says:

Teresa Rhoda – you’re spot on. Just because I’m a female, I’m not allowed to like a comic book-based action show? Um, huh? Sorry, Drew, you’re fighting a losing battle here. You keep trying to prove your point, but I think you must have gone to the same law school that Laurel attended, because you’re not making your point, no pun intended.

I happen to LOVE most good action shows, not just Arrow, and I love most of the comic book-based shows. I also love wearing makeup, high heels, & stylish clothes. Don’t pin me down into one demographic. I won’t fit. I love fancy dresses, & I love strong yet vulnerable fictional characters who may or may not be able to kick a little ass. Go figure.

14. The Kaibosh says:

Supernatural just got renewed for an 11th season. Before that Smallville aired for 10 seasons. Arrow has proven to be a successful and reliable show for the CW which means unless something happens to Stephen Amell or he wants out: Arrow will be around for at least as long as those shows. Its now in season 3 which means it has a very likely 7 seasons to go before it wraps up. Believe me when I say that despite the twists and turns that will happen between now and then, despite all of the upcoming I love you’s and hookups and breakups: Oliver and Laurel WILL be end game. Its done. Its already decided. Its not fantasy, its history. To all of the “Olicity” shippers swooning and pining right now: please enjoy the story and get the most satisfaction out of it as you can. But do NOT fool yourselves. Those that produce and write super hero shows are at heart comic book fans and comic book fans LOVE canon. When the credits roll on the series finale it will be Oliver and Laurel together forever. Please just deal with it and stop kidding yourselves.

• Kate says:

Maybe you should stop kidding yourself too. Your arrogance is relying on the history of a comic book that how many people read? Not as many as those who watch the show. Besides, Oliver and Laurel are certainly no Clark and Lois. Most people had never heard of them before.

Sure, they could still end up together but so could Oliver and Felicity. This show has proven that it’s not afraid to go against comic canon and mix things up. This is an adaptation after all. It’s not word for word copied from the comics because that would be boring. And the fact that they’ve given Oliver and Laurel a truly toxic history full of cheating and sister swapping and getting other women pregnant doesn’t really make them a love story worth rooting for.

Anything is possible.

• Briggs says:

Considering how ticked off Oliver is going to be that Laurel went ahead and did precisely what he told her not to do, believing he was dead or not, that partnership isn’t happening for a while. Besides which, if Stephen Amell thinks the ship has sailed, you have bigger problems than Olicity. If he doesn’t believe in the ship, there’s a good chance it won’t happen.

• well, we’ll be seeing the credits roll together and i would love to see your reaction when it will be Oliver and Felicity at the end. To put this simple for you: There is a better possibility that Oliver dies all alone in the end than watching him and Laurel end up together by the end of the show. Either way i cant wait to find out both what will happen and people’s reaction, especially the ones who keep forgeting this is a tv show and not their comic books on screen. ;)

• kath says:

May I recommend the New 52 comics in which the Green Arrow and Black Canary haven’t even met?

The producers may be comic book fans but they’re also businessmen. The reason Oliver/Felicity exists is because the Oliver/Laurel relationship tanked coming out of the gate.

• Stefani says:

True story. Olicity exists for the simple reason that EBR is a terrific actress who had amazing screen chemistry with Stephen Amell, when Katie Cassidy, although I’m sure is a very nice person, had/has absolutely ZERO chemistry on-screen with Stephen. The producers & writers aren’t stupid – they’re businessmen. On-screen chemistry sells. Period. End of sentence. Done. Plus they made Laurel’s character so incredibly whiny at the start ( not Katie’s fault, obviously), that the character was very difficult to like anyway. By the time I felt any sympathy for her, she’d moved on to Tommy, & the chemistry between Felicity & Oliver was undeniable. I know all about what the comic book lore says. I just happen to know that they’ve ignored it so far on a number of occasions on this show b/c it didn’t fit w/ their vision or how the storyline played out. Canon, schmanon. Money talks, & so do the fans.

• Maxim says:

I remind you that in the comic that couple is divorced. So … together? Where? ;)

• Drew says:

Don’t bother discussing the source material here. Olicity fans don’t read the comics and don’t care about the comics, so discussing character history is useless.
      The show does not always stick to canon. No doubt the series will find its own way in the future. But it’s hard to deny that Laurel was added to the show for a reason, and if she didn’t work out, they would have written her off, along with several of the other characters that have come and gone over the years. Your argument is just as valid as any Oliver/Felicity shipper, but you probably won’t find a rational discussion on the topic here.

• kath says:

Of course there is a reason for Laurel. But to assume that Oliver and Laurel end up together because they do so in one of the several versions of the comics is premature.

• A says:

I’ve been reading the new Green Arrow comic, have you? If you haven’t, let me fill you in – Oliver, Diggle and Felicity are working as a team and BC is nowhere to be found.

• Briggs says:

I first met Dinah Laurel Lance when she was initially recruited by Oracle after Ollie’s death in a plane crash. I got to know her as an independent woman, doing it for herself because no one else would do it for her. She escaped Savant with two broken legs and I believe a broken arm. After Ollie came back, they had issues getting back together and Oliver being genuinely clueless due to a magic spell that brought back a previous self didn’t help. I’ve always felt that relationship was the anti-Lois-and-Clark, I did not need the show or Felicity to tell me that.

The next time you make a generalization, be very careful where you step. Some Olicity fans got into the show through the comics, too. And don’t appreciate being reduced to slavering fangirls, just as I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate being referred to as an ignorant comic fanboy. So how about we play nice?

• Drew says:

Anyone who is insisting that “Olicity” is the ultimate endgame of the series is just as clueless as anyone who says that Laurel is the ultimate endgame. All of you gather torches and pitchforks every time I suggest that not everyone loves the endless sappy romance drama scenes that ultimately lead nowhere between Oliver and Felicity, so I’m not exactly looking to any of you to zero out the scales on fandom craziness.
          As I have said repeatedly in the past, it doesn’t matter who he ends up with. What matters is the fact that this arc is like sitting through an endless loop of the most annoying scenes from Smallville history. I sat through it for seven seasons on that show. Arrow used to be better than that, specifically because they dealt with the Laurel relationship and moved on rather than rehash the same drama week after week. It’s boring. It’s useless. It’s only there to please the fangirls who producers haven’t yet learned do not make up the majority of the fan base, despite having over two decades to learn how the internet works.
          You know when Smallville got better? When Clark and Lois had a mature relationship with no high school romance drama that sucked the life out of the show. It’d be nice to see that on Arrow.

• Briggs says:

Not only are you a hypocrite, but you don’t apologize, either. Nice.
            You think people who believe either lady is endgame is nuts, and yet you think they should focus on Laurel more? I think you’ve mentioned how the show should keep Oliver with Laurel at least once in this conversation, because it’s in the comics. So, by your own logic, you would be nuts? You never said ‘endgame’. Neither did I. But you keep insisting that’s whats going on here. When it’s not.

• Drew says:

I never said that they *should* keep Oliver with Laurel. I said that it’s probably where things will end up because it’s in the source material. I’ve also said that I really don’t care who Oliver ends up with as long as it doesn’t drag down the show in the process, but you always seem to forget those comments. This romantic angle is dragging Felicity down. It’s dragging down the chemistry of the core characters. It’s slowing down the episodes with useless scenes that do nothing except cause fangirls to swoon into their pillows at night.
            Darn. Did I forget the disclaimer before stating my opinions again? I guess that just makes them absolute truths. That’s how this works, right?

• Briggs says:

If you keep wording them the way you do? Sure, you’ll need a disclaimer.
            I never considered the GA/BC pairing necessary in canon. They were on as much as they were off. When I think ‘Black Canary’, I don’t think ‘Green Arrow’ in the same breath. Whereas a pairing like Lois and Clark is so iconic that it seems strange to see Superman with Wonder Woman *even if it does make sense*. It does not mean, however, that Clark will ever get back with Lois just because that’s the way it’s always been. The same with Oliver and Laurel.
            Why, considering how much else they’ve changed, must this paring stay canon? Why is it so important? It’s not like they can’t function individually. I give you the Birds of Prey. When Oliver has both Connor and Mia for support (admittedly, Dinah and Roy were auxillary, but only in emergencies). They even got divorce before the new 52, in which they don’t know each other. Why must this pairing stay canon, when it’s obvious they are just as much canon as exes?

• nikitab says:

Ultimately, I could give two s**ts who Oliver does or does not end up with, but the fact of the matter is that, as you said, the source material is essential irrelevant in the TV medium. It’s sort of ancillary; it does not ultimately drive the direction in which the writers go, so there’s no need to jab at “Olicity fans” who “don’t read the comics and don’t care about the comics”. You are talking out both sides of your mouth. Whether the Olicity fans are comic readers or not is irrelevant and you’ve said so yourself. The casting choices and the chemistry that follows is what’s really going to drive the storylines.

• The Kaibosh says:

There’s a couple of responses already but let me reply to this one to clarify a couple of things. Let me start by saying that I never said that Olicity fans are or need to be comic book fans. I said that the writers are, and its ultimately the writers that will decide in what direction this story goes, regardless of how much influence Briggs thinks SA has in influencing the direction of the show. At the end of the day he’s an actor who is paid to say the lines in a script and take direction from the Director….but that’s a different discussion…its the writers that are telling this story and there are two things that comic book influenced writers don’t like to do….1) stray too far from canon …sorry…and AGAIN… given the whole body of work that is out there (including the new 52) the overall Green Arrow mythology has Green Arrow paired up with Black Canary…end of story, full stop…please deal with it….and 2) the writers don’t like fan service: they consider it pandering. So while pairing Oliver and Felicity might make for a more compelling story for some which in my opinion there is nothing wrong with that, ultimately we should all understand and expect that by the end of the series the writers WILL come back to the mythology which again has Green Arrow and Black Canary together.

• Briggs says:

I got a shout-out in a response not to me. Well, I’m speaking up, so…
            I still don’t think they’d make SA do anything he didn’t want to do, but that’s a matter of opinion. What’s not is this: The show has never followed canon, probably will never follow canon. Guggenheim has said that they’re doing their own thing, in a tweet as recent as in the last few days. In fact, he has a tumblr, and if you want to know what else he said (it’s not *all* Olicity-centric, there’s a wide range), he’s answering questions there, now. I suggest you read it before you decide whether or not the show is going to end the way you think it will. It’s not like you’re in the writers’ room, either.

• Jennie says:

I would go over and read Guggenheims tumblr account he answers questions about this very thing. He also mentions how they enjoy having actors in the story room. SA has also mentioned how the writers will write something and he will say “really cause the fans really like (insert whatever) and they will change it up and let him do this. Not saying that this has anything to do with Olicity.

15. Sammy says:

Excited for the declaration but nervous. I love these two, they make the show extra special for me. I enjoy Diggle and Team Arrow and love Captain Lance when he’s given screen time but Olicity’s relationship is that something special that elevates my viewing experience. I hope that continues!

• Gasna says:

YEP! I second that!

• Rob Watkins says:

I love a great romance, but it’s an action show, and if you put too much emphasis on the romance, it becomes a different show. These romances are like salt on a steak, too much and it ruins the taste, but just the right amount makes it even more flavorful.

• Sara says:

Yes and that’s what we’re seeing with Arrow. The show has action and suspense and the romance is the actual spice to it. In season 3 all we’ve seen was Oliver Kiss Felicity and Ray kill Felicity…compare that to season 1 and 2 when the show had numerous make out scenes.

• Rob Watkins says:

You mean kiss, not kill. I’m not talking about make out scenes. Oliver’s love life has been at the forefront of this season than the previous two, regardless of how physical it has gotten.

16. A says:

Thanks for the article. I can’t wait to see this Felicity scene in 3×12.

17. Rick Katze says:

Eventually it will happen but I suspect the road will be very hard with lots of bumps.

18. Lizo says:

I feel like I’m one of 6 people who doesn’t see this ship all.

19. Luis says:

Felicity has to create some separation for herself from Oliver. She doesn’t want to be hanging on a string, waiting for the day he feels capable of admitting his love for her. She can’t spend every day working with Oliver, fearing for him and hoping for him to embrace her. It will be good to see her stand up for herself and her right to be loved by someone willing to fully commit to her.

• Shelley says:

Well said. The writers have shown us that they love each other. And in love with each other. I think it was love at first sight for Felicity. It took Oliver a while to see it. I’m glad the writers are having Felicity expect more out it than being there whenever Oliver decides to give love. She has every right for more. Oliver has always been in open relationships. This is set up to be more than casual. We’ll see how it goes.

• Luis says:

Oliver has an understandable fear of commitment, but he also can’t deny the feelings he has for Felicity. He has to decide whether he can overcome the fear he feels to embrace the possibility of a relationship. if he can’t, he has to make it a clean break, to give Felicity a chance to experience love with someone who will commit. (I LOVE how the writers make us feel like we are discussing real people’s lives. Such great writing!)

20. Dauntlesswho26 says:

I gotta say in smallville Oliver and black canary didn’t end up together in the end. Oliver had married Chloe which I gotta say has some very similar qualities to felicity. They are both hackers. They are both part of a superhero team. They are also different too in a lot of ways. But Oliver married Chloe in smallville so for everyone who says that canary and Oliver are endgame it is possible that they are not but you never know what will happen. The writers may go that way or they may have Oliver and felicity end game. But we will just have to watch and see

• Rob Watkins says:

But at least Amell and EBR have great chemistry whereas Hartley and Mack didn’t.

• wonderwall says:

Really?! I thought Hartley and Mack had so much chemistry! I suppose to each their own. I personally loved Chloe and Oliver more than Clark and Lois in that series (granted I loved Lois and Clark too).

• Rob Watkins says:

There’s no use saying “Yes they did, no they didn’t”. Like you said, to each their own. I just didn’t see it between them. Okay, I will preface it by saying I thought they had chemistry before they made it more than just a casual fling. I think both actors had chemistry with other actors. Hartley with Durance, Freeman, and even the actress who played Black Canary on SV for the brief time she was on. Mack had chemistry with Ashmore until they made it more than young love. I really liked her and Witwer were good together.

• wonderwall says:

I agree. I was just stating my opinion :) I really liked that relationship because Chloe sort of helped Oliver out of his ‘rock bottom’ phase. He would’ve probably killed himself by being reckless if it wasn’t for her. It’s sort of like how Felicity (along with Diggle) helped Oliver come out of his darkness. While there’s still a lot of work left I just like the idea of them bringing out the best in each other (this goes for Chloe/Oliver and Felicity/Oliver :)).

• Ella says:

BC was in Smallville for all of 1 or 2 episodes. And she was played as a villain. This is totally different and it will BE totally different. The comics are sacrosanct. You can deviate from them in the middle but in the end, Oliver and Laurel will be together. SA and KC have great chemistry both on-screen and off. SA and EBR do too, but in a much more platonic, humorous way.

21. Amber2 says:

Am up for the rough ride as long as the writers, amidst the ebb and flow, make steady progress towards Olicity as endgame. What I don’t want is to be “played”. Felicity has consistently made Oliver appear a better person and Stephen and Emily have great chemistry – that’s one of the main reasons I became hooked on Arrow. The writers will do what they will do re Olicity but so will the viewers ;)

22. Amber says:

Hopefully that comment that she doesn’t want to be A woman he loves, means she wants to be THE woman. The one and only. They are absolutely the perfect couple.

23. Mikaylah says:

Glad to hear they are finally delving into Felicity’s POV. I hope things work out for Oliver and Felicity.

24. MJ says:

Of course Felicity does want to be ‘a’ woman Oliver loved. The make her one in a crowd. You want to be THE woman as in the woman he love most and best. Or more important to be the oh one he truly loved

25. wonderwall says:

As Mark Guggenheim said, the show charters its own course. They’re not going to follow Comic Canon for everything and that includes the romance. I for one am excited for the back half of this season because the first half was such a dud for me. I also can’t wait to see just how strongly Felicity feels for Oliver. Oliver’s (surprisingly) been the one to be open and honest with his feelings, now I feel like it’s Felicity’s turn. I hope the show handles this couple well because I feel like Felicity is the one for Oliver. Moonlighting curse aside, I think that the show could work with Oliver being in a solid relationship. I mean if Coach Taylor and Tami, Mindy and Danny, Marge and Homer, Monica and Chandler, Adam and Kristina Braverman can have long lasting relationships on their respective shows, why can’t Oliver and Felicity? It’ll just take some creativity and hard work on the writers side to make them work and make their interactions fresh and interesting.

• Rob Watkins says:

Marge and Homer were always married and Monica and Chandler weren’t will they won’t they. It might work, but I don’t want the romance to take so much focus. The first half of this season wasn’t the strongest, but I think the back half could put the first 9 in a new light. I’m hoping it’ll all dovetail.

• kath says:

The easiest way to keep the romance from taking over the show is to put them together and stop all the artificial will they/won’t they drama around the relationship. Bones and Castle both got better when the producers finally stopped looking for ways to keep the couple apart.

• Rob Watkins says:

Agreed to an extent. I don’t mind some “will they won’t they” but you’re right, there hits a point of diminishing marginal returns. I think The Office did a great job of doing just enough “will they, won’t they” before it became too much.

• wonderwall says:

I’m just saying, relationships on TV aren’t always subjected to the moonlighting curse, meaning just because two people get together or are together from the beginning of the series doesn’t mean they’ll get boring after a certain amount of time. the writers just have to work for a successful relationship.

IDK about you but to me Oliver and Felicity seem more like ‘when-will-it-happen’ more than ‘will-they-won’t-they’.

And I don’t think romance should be the focus either. It WILL be the focus, however, if the couple in question keep dancing around each other. And to be fair, romance wasn’t really the focus of the first half of this season either. After the first episode they dropped the whole romance aspect between Oliver/Felicity and revisited it in episode 7.

• Luis says:

I don’t think Felicity has been particularly coy about her feelings for Oliver; she wants a declaration from him that he is committed to a relationship with her. It was one thing for him to say “I love you” before going off to possibly die. It will be another thing when he returns to SC and gets her response.

26. John NYC says:

She’s shown before she’s got the acting chops to pull of a major scene: looking forward to it!

27. John NYC says:

The core team, Diggle, Oliver, Felicity plus Roy and Laurel… shouldn’t be romantically entangled, their mission is just too dangerous for that sort of distraction. Outside interests would help keep the core balanced. Other I guess than Roy, Oliver is deeply connected to them all: that balance is what keeps them alive.

Shado was a big loss, too bad…

28. Hodan says:

I am soo glad they would finally focus on Felicity’s POV. This is what has been irritating me lately about the show, Felicity had no voice in this Olicity thing. Can’t wait to see her finally voice her opinions.

P.S., Those 3 who are going on and on about how Laurel and Oliver are endgame because of comics really needs to go and freaking buy one. You guys would then know the whole basis for your argument is faulty. So, please stop pretending that you know anything about BC/GA’s relationship in the comics. That is all going to say on the subject.

• Rob Watkins says:

How has she been silent about what’s been going on between her and Oliver?

• Lizo says:

In that we don’t see much from her POV. We see Oliver talking to Digg about Felicity about his feelings and his thoughts. Felicity doesn’t have that focus in the show; she needs a BFF. She needs a girl friend she can talk this out with (Caitlin, Thea or Laurel would all be good) and then we can see Felicity being more active and vocal in the story.

• wonderwall says:

I think we saw a glimpse of how she feels on The Flash when she visited Central City in episode 4. That train ride where Barry and Felicity talk about Iris and Oliver was really enlightening in regards to how Felicity feels. I just wish we saw more of that on Arrow. And yes, I agree she needs a friend she can talk to. I don’t know who yet, but I hope it’s a woman who isn’t Laurel.

• Rob Watkins says:

Why shouldn’t it be Laurel? Laurel has experience with Ollie. This is the exact opposite of what I want. I don’t want more emphasis put on the relationship melodrama, I want more on the antagonists. Plus, can’t people read between the lines? We know how she feels, frustrated by Oliver but wants to move on with her life even though she still has deep feelings for him.

• aunni says:

@rob, arrow did an awesome job by not tangled laurel with olicity. they didn’t show any jealousy or catfight… thnk god. relationship wise there’s lot of bad memories between oliver/laurel. both f/l will be uncomfortable on that topic. i think thea is a good option, btw younger sister usually loves to be nosey abt big bros love life.

• Rob Watkins says:

Maybe it was because they were sisters, but Laurel didn’t have a big issue discussing Oliver with Sara, at least once she got clean.

• aunni says:

yes bcz they were sisters, a bond between sibling is really deep. i will admit i usually ignore laurel scenes bt i hv noticed after getting clean, she gave 100% to mend that relations. thats why her love for sara is a key element for becoming BC.

i can hv amicable relation or even friend with my bf ex bt not comfortable to discuss my love life.. its a girl thing dude

• wonderwall says:

@Rob because I just feel like it would be too weird… It was hard enough for me to believe Laurel would give relationship advice to Oliver in season 2, but Felicity opening up to Laurel about how she feels about her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her repeatedly and with his sister nonetheless? That’s just /weird/ to me.

• lizo says:

I still think she might. I think Laurel, at where she is right now in her life, couldn’t care less about romance and Oliver’s love life. She’s lost her sister twice and I think she’s looking for a)vengeance and b)an honest connection with someone in a platonic way. So I think she’d be able to talk to Felicity about it – especially cause neither of them really have anybody else.

• lizo says:

@wonderwall I agree, we did get to see some of that on Flash. Ya, I wish we got more of that too on Arrow. And more Felicity&Caitlin being friends. Their throwaway line of relief of having another woman to talk to was charming and I want more of that.

• Ini says:

I totally agree about the NOT being Laurel. Come on, that doesn’t even happen in real life (a current girlfriend/boyfriend/love interest going to a significant ex to talk & get advice, what planet does that happen on?) If you go around getting advice from your current’s ex’s, there is something seriously wrong with you. They should keep it realistic and give Felicity a REAL friend that’s not an ex of Olivers (like Sara) & that’s believable.
            I don’t read comics but from what I understand (correct me if I’m wrong) IN THE COMICS Laurel doesn’t have a sister that’s competing with her for ‘Ollie’s’ affection (twice) & therefore he never cheats on her with her sister (gross – should stop ANY relationship), there is no Tommy triangle but those things help change the dynamics of Lauriver so it won’t be like the comics ontop of the fact that on the show Oliver already chose Sara over Laurel & wanted to move in with Sara which says a lot. She has had no positive influence on Oliver’s hero journey to date & yet you say Laurel is the one because the comics… I get the feeling that if Ollie was to get with Sara & Laurel’s mother then come back to Laurel you’d still say it’s ok because the comics…
            I just want good, tangible reasons to make Lauriver a believable couple that’s not ‘because the comics….’

29. Sam says:

I am here for all of it. Angst, pain, happiness. I think the ride is gonna be awesome because EBR and SA have the most electric chemistry I’ve seen. They are magical together and I am drawn into whatever scene they throw at us, good or bad. Bring it!

30. Jennie says:

My husband and I watch this show together and he does not watch for the romance. So when for the 4th time Oliver tells Felicity how he feels and she just stands there even he was taken aback. Spouse does not do the romance you know what I mean and he’s like “seriously you tell someone for basically 9 episodes how you feel and then you go off to fight someone and there is at least a 50/50 chance you won’t survive and this girl who is suppose to love you just ignores what you said again”..

He does not want to sit through 23 episodes of mooney eye looks and declarations of love that have no pay off in the end. The more Oliver shares his feelings and the more she says nothing or ignores it the less impactful it becomes. I say either get on with it or let it go you can only dance around each other so long before it gets boring. Not only that but this season has been off with the whole Olicity thing. What I loved about these two in season 1 and season 2 is no longer there.

Before the “Olicity” shippers come at me yes I do want them together and yes I do think that eventually they will be together and yes I do believe Felicity loves Oliver. But look at this in another way. How would you feel if you kept telling someone you loved them and you got nothing back and then you saw them kiss someone else. I feel far more sorry for Oliver right now then I do Felicity.

• nikitab says:

^This. S**t or get off the pot. I don’t care if he even has a love interest. But if you’re gonna go there, don’t jerk everyone around; it’s distracting and I guess I speak for myself but it makes me care even less every time there’s another non payoff.

• Jennie says:

lol well this relationship can only go two ways they either put them together by season 5 or 6 or they make their relationship so difficult and so angsty that eventually they will mutually decide they need to go their own way. That’s if they don’t have Felicity go to another show if Ray Palmer Brandon Routh gets his own show. Felicity and Ray spend more time together lately then her and Oliver do and now that Oliver will be gone for the next 3 episodes and the photo’s coming out looks like they are increasing their time together.

• Drew says:

I agree. That said, you should change your name and move to a new city. The Olicity Shippers are not a group to be messed with. :-)

• Jennie says:

lol only the ones that are die hard Felicity fans. I generally get along with them just fine I can see their POV but I don’t want my show ruined for the sake of a ship.

31. Rob Watkins says:

I realize this is a comment section for an article specifically about Olicity, but I feel it’s not any different from any other section about the show. Maybe it’s just the people who frequent this site, but it bugs me how little the comment section is about the antagonist for this season. Much of that has to be due to how much focus this relationship has gotten and how little focus this season’s big bad has gotten.

• Jennie says:

I’m commenting on the article and what it’s about but I agree with you. The focus has changed and lacks the sense of danger and urgency that last year had with Deathstroke. So far for me at least I haven’t found that Ra’s is all that bad nor was Sarah’s death all that impactful because we didn’t see them focusing on it enough. The theme for this season is “identity” however Oliver has been trying to figure that out for 2 seasons prior. I was not impressed with “Cupid” episode seemed fairly cheesy and once again we got to hear Oliver tell us why he cant be with Felicity when in prior seasons with villains it focused on the villains.

Like I said this is the show and the Flash of course that my husband and I could enjoy together as were both action and comic book fans. Now will be watching Agent Carter which so far is really fantastic. I enjoyed Olicity in Season 1 & 2 but I don’t want it to dominate the entire season and take a Hero and diminsh him to just a guy who pines for a girl he wants but cant be with and she never says anything to indicate that she feels the same way.

• rinaex says:

I agree with you completely. At this point Oliver and Felicity scenes just annoy the crap out of me, they ruined the dynamic that I liked between them. It’s like they have to write Oliver as a completely different character to achieve whatever they’re going for. The guy is clearly still too damaged to be anyone’s one and only anytime soon, and having someone he cared about as much as Sara die understandably sent him reeling. All my sympathy is with him.

• Jennie says:

Exactly their whole dynamic changed which is what made those of us who liked the pairing want them together. Oliver has suffered to much loss so I knew it wasn’t going to work. When he saw her kiss Palmer that was so cheesy to I would like the writers to come up with some original material. When I watch them in scenes together they look so uncomfortable and Felicity often looks like she wants to be anywhere but there and she often is. So yeah we got what the writers wanted and that was to change the whole direction of the show. I’m just not convinced I like the direction they are taking and the focus they seem to be taking this season is romance. We have Diggle with a baby and getting married which could have happened way later in the seasons.

• Akhil says:

In season 2, Oliver only knew that slade was alive and was in play after episode 14. That is when the show gained the urgency you speak of. Hell, deathstoke only came on in episode 9, until episode 9 of season 2, we didn’t even knew deathstroke was going to be the main villain. Same was the case with malcolm merlyn in season 1. So, my advice is wait atleast until episodes 13 or 14 of this season for you to feel the same way about the show as you did last year.
        Peace out.

• Rob Watkins says:

It was pretty clear that it was leading up to Slade in the present as the big bad.

• Jennie says:

I’m not going to stop watching the show just cause there are a few things I don’t like about this season. The pace is different however and the focus is different meaning there was very little focus on finding Sarah’s killer and more on family life and romance.

There will always be episodes in any series that are slower or not as good that’s what happens. Season 2 just happens to be my favorite and I have watched 1 & 2 over and over again. I don’t have that same motivation with this season. So I have really high hopes for the rest of the season which I should have because I’m a fan.

• kath says:

We don’t even know who this season’s Big Bad is yet. Is it Malcolm Merlyn, who has manipulated Oliver and Ra’s into fighting each other and brainwashed Thea? Is it Ra’s, who has really been on for one episode (and a short bit earlier)? Or is it Amanda Waller, the Big Bad in Hong Kong and who may be pulling the strings in the present day? And don’t forget Slade is comiing back.

Maybe if the show had actually made it clear who the Big Bad was this season, there would be talk about him/her.

• Rob Watkins says:

Either way, it’s certainly more interesting than the constant “will they, won’t they”. In the short amount of time Ra’s has been on screen, he’s become one of the most interesting characters on the show and I’m certain I’m not alone in my excitement to see how the story between Oliver, Ra’s, and Malcolm will play out.

• kath says:

Different viewers are interested in different things. That’s why showrunners need to keep a lot of balls in the air.
          For me, I can’t figure out what the big fuss is about Ra’s, he’s like the man behind the curtain (Wizard of Oz reference). He couldn’t care less about who killed Sara in The Magician because she “wasn’t one of us”, why is he suddenly killing 50 people a day to find out how she was killed. It’s also pretty idiotic killing one of your own men just because he couldn’t best you in a fight.
          I miss Moira. She’s someone who could hold Malcolm’s feet to the fire. Now all he does is manipulate anyone he feels like doing.

• Rob Watkins says:

Everyone knows the Wizard of Oz reference. Sara wasn’t one of them in spirit, but she was one of them. It’s like I can make fun of my brother, but no one else can. Ra’s isn’t killing 50 people, it was Nyssa’s threat, and I don’t think he would stand in the way especially since regardless of his feelings, someone did kill a League member and Oliver stopped Nyssa from trying to kill Merlyn who she was sent to kill. We don’t know exactly what Ra’s was doing killing those men.

Some of us don’t get the fuss about Felicity. She’s a good character, but her goth past and dumb boyfriend shouldn’t take precedent over the Demon’s Head. This is an action show with a sprinkling of romance, not the other way around.

• kath says:

In episode 3×04, Nyssa went to Ra’s to get vengeance for Sara and Ra’s refused saying “she wasn’t one of us”. In 3×09 Ra’s is demanding Oliver bring him Sara’s killer in 48 hours or he starting killing 50 innocent people a day. That doesn’t make sense. (BTW, Nyssa wasn’t sent to kill Malcolm she arrived to find out why Sara hadn’t reported in. Sara had been sent to find out about Malcolm not kill him.)
            At this point in the season, for people who don’t know the character from the comics books, Ra’s has been a fizzle of a villain.
            Agree that Felicity’s past shouldn’t take precedence over the season’s Big Bad but there’s been only one episode about Felicity in the 55 episode of Arrow that have been on. Every other regular character and some recurring ones has had more backstory episodes than she has.

• Rob Watkins says:

There’s only been one episode, and it was a boring episode that told us nothing of value that we didn’t already know nor need to know. Unless there’s something in that episode like the virus that has been set up, it was a waste of time. And we did have her backstory, we just didn’t see it. What we did see was cliché and uninteresting.

Do you think Ra’s didn’t know where Nyssa went? If he truly disagreed with her being in Starling, she wouldn’t have been there. No, Ra’s hasn’t been a fizzle. Felicity’s episode was a fizzle. Ra’s was a badass that made Oliver look like a child in comparison. He hasn’t been on that many episodes but what he has been on, he’s been excellent.

• Rob Watkins says:

We don’t know enough about Ra’s. There’s a mystery to him, so perhaps we’ll get an answer as to why he was willing to kill 50 people a day for someone he didn’t care for. As of now, best bet is that it’s the “I can say bad things about this person, but no outsider can”. While she wasn’t a member of the League in spirit, she was in fact, so a slight against a member is a slight against him. I’m basing this off the fact that Ra’s has a strict code of honor.

• kath says:

Then why didn’t he care in 3×04? He refused Nyssa’s request to go after the person who killed Sara.

• Rob Watkins says:

It’s like you don’t read. He didn’t care enough to send his own men, that’s why Oliver got the ultimatum. The deadline came due in episode 9.

• kath says:

He didn’t care enough to send his own men, but a month later he’s willing to send a whole bunch of them to kill 50 innocent people a day because Oliver hasn’t produce the killer yet makes no sense. And if he wanted Malcolm dead because he’d broken the League’s code of honor by killing innocent people, how does he justify doing the same when Oliver hasn’t produced the killer?
            None of that makes any sense, and that’s why it’s more interesting to talk about Oliver’s emotional growth than a one-shot character who seems to work only for the plot contrivance.

• Rob Watkins says:

He sent them to get Oliver and that month window was the period he gave Oliver to find the killer. Ra’s, like most villains, has a warped sense of honor. He will kill innocence to achieve the League’s goals, but he won’t kill them if he deems it unneccesary. In Malcolm’s case, he didn’t deem that necessary and he wasn’t even working for the League. We don’t know the full story yet, but you’ve written it off because you don’t know the whole story. That seems like a reach, it just feels like you don’t care at all, all you care about is your precious flower, Felicity. I’m at least giving the writers benefit of the doubt.

You aren’t talking about Oliver’s emotional growth, you’re talking about who he should date.

• kath says:

IMO, part of Oliver’s emotional growth is not getting into a relationship with Laurel because they bring out the worst in each other.

• Rob Watkins says:

“I haven’t written Ra’s off, I just haven’t found anything about him to be interested in yet.”

But apparently her being goth, her stupid boyfriend, her mother are interesting? Ra’s took out Olvier like he was nothing. He has a mysterious past that alludes to him being far older than he looks and killed when he was 11. None of those things are interesting to you? We really are watching the show for completely different reasons.

How does Laurel bring out the worst in Oliver?

• kath says:

“Ra’s took out Olvier like he was nothing. He has a mysterious past that alludes to him being far older than he looks and killed when he was 11. None of those things are interesting to you?”

Nope. So far it’s all contrived writing to me.

• Rob Watkins says:

How is that in any way contrived?

Apparently Ra’s being a far superior fighter with a long life is contrived, but Mama Smoak was great despite being incredibly clichéd.

• kath says:

For someone who was raised on Isaac Asimov and Ursula Le Guin among others, Ra’s is pretty tame fare.
            While Arrow and The Flash have an awesome stunt crew, I’m in it for the character development.

• Jennie says:

It’s what you call Ra’s using Sarah’s death to get to Merlyn. That whole SL doesn’t make any sense because it has to many plot holes and not only that but Ra’s is suppose to be the BIG bad of the season but so far he’s not. Yeah he killed Oliver but why did he kill Oliver and why did Merlyn want Oliver dead when he knew Oliver would lose.

Remember the episode he saw Oliver and Thea together in her apartment he wanted to break Thea and Oliver up and have Thea all to himself so Oliver couldn’t influence her.

32. Yes I can’t wait for her to tell Oliver how she feels and hope they get together and stay together.

33. I like to see the arrow get into a really kick butt and take no names with a really bad villain like bane!

34. tpaschal says:

I am an “Olicity” shipper, and have been since the second or third ep. in which EBR appeared. I would love to think that Felicity will tell Oliver how much she loves him when he returns, but I’m not holding out much hope for that. Kreisberg says that she speaks up about her feelings, but not in a way that people will expect. So I’m betting she goes off on him about leaving to confront the LoA and Rha’s on his own.

35. Ella says:

Just, UGH. I much prefer Felicity with Ray and Oliver with Laurel, this Olicity arc is so forced and nauseating.

• aunni says:

so r u ( i.e nauseating)

• Briggs says:

This kind of comment doesn’t help our cause. I don’t agree with her, either, but that doesn’t make her nauseating.

• aunni says:

ella always says this kind of things, she hates felicity, likes felicity with everyone bt oliver. i hv noticed her.

• Briggs says:

I’m well aware, I’m sure there’s no one who posts her often who hasn’t. But hurling personal insults is uncalled for (we *are* talking about fiction, after all) and leaves Olicity fans with a bad reputation.

36. Tamara says:

Im guessing that she goes on to say something like, ” I don’t want to be the woman you love because I love you too much and to love and lose you is just too hard to bear” or something along those lines. Felicity has a good heart and I don’t think she is about to break his just after he came back from the dead!

37. NO-SENSE WHATEVER says:

If anybody is bound to happen it’s Oliver and Felicity.They have got it all to pass through any rough patches. Rooting, supporting and secretly praying all the way (for writers own sake) for Olicity…

38. Jerry Taz says:

“I don’t want to be A woman you love” which leads to “I want to be THE woman you love” ?

39. suzyque says:

I think Felicity’s “I don’t want to be a woman you love” line makes sense, especially since she told him earlier this season that she didn’t want to sit in the foundry and wait for him to die, and that’s exactly what is likely to play out in the next couple of episodes. I think they’re probably end game (or at least heading into serious relationship territory, especially going by what Marc Guggenheim said this week on Tumblr about how they’re not sticking with comics canon), but it’s not going to be an easy reunion when Oliver returns. I have no problems with the rest of the season to be him trying to earn her love.

40. brenna says:

Oliver and Felicity are Tony and Pepper of the tv-superhero universe to me. I don’t mind the rocky road, but I hope they eventually get together. They already have some funny scenes together and I think Oliver could be great with more humorous lines and scenes. SA has proven that he does them well and EBR does humor great too. Love their story and looking forward to it. Trusting that the writers do this in a wonderful way.

41. Alison Tabour says:

“I don’t want to be a woman you love.”
    UGH.
    Now it is Felicity’s turn to back away from Oliver?
    Every writer everywhere dances the same dance, just to a different tune.
    I’m sure Oliver and Felicity will make some beautiful music together….for the next couple of years.
    Personally I still have not gotten over the killing of Sara/Canary. WORST idea ever.
    And I vote to bring back the Arrow writers from Season 2, because Season 3’s writing is really bad. What about this line the writers wrote for Diggle: “Oliver, you are the smartest person I know, but you have a blind spot when it comes to your sister.”
    Really Diggle… Oliver is the SMARTEST person you know?
    Who wrote that crap?

• Rob Watkins says:

Without Sara’s death there isn’t much of a season. Malcolm killed Sara, probably knowing that he would lead Oliver to his death against Ra’s al Ghul.

Instead of proclaiming it’s the worst season, how about we wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

42. Anne says:

Yes I am ready, but if they don’t bring it they could give Felicity her own show and become the hero she was meant to be by bringing all the good meta humans together kind of a Justice League to help protect the world.

43. susan says:

I’m so sick of the writers trying to shove this Olicity silliness down our throats. There is no way a man as handsome and sexy as Oliver Queen/SA would ever fall for a nerdy, plain jane like Felicity/EBR. She reminds me of Becky who was after Sam Winchester on Supernatural. Laurel Lance/KC is one of the most beautiful women in the world and is a more natural fit for Oliver. Plus LL will be the Black Canary and belongs with the Green Arrow. Hope the writers come to their senses soon or they have lost this viewer!

• Briggs says:

Your argument is that they aren’t physically compatible? Really? I’ve come by links that promise me they’ll take me to an article that shows movie stars with ‘ugly’ spouses. And I’ve seen these couples in real life when one of them is *not* famous. This particular tack doesn’t hold water all that well.

• kath says:

Did you see what she looked like on their date in the season premier?

Besides, one of the things that makes Felicity a popular character is that she is relatable.

• brenna says:

@Susan, I really dislike comments like this about EBR or KC. They are both beautiful. I love Oliver and Felicity because they have had a great slow growing story and I have always disliked the backstory and present story of Oliver and Laurel. Also, EBR is absolutely gorgeous and so charming on top of that. When you seen her in interviews and on panels, she always seems to captivate the room. Everyone has different opinions, but I believe you are in the minority on her.

44. Ashley says:

I’m here for all things Oliver & Felicity (Olicity). Can’t wait to see how it all develops, should be thrilling to watch.

45. Vroni says:

I want Oliver and Felicity are together. It would be the next logical step in real life . Anything else would be incomprehensible to me. Unfortunately, the television often follows no natural, psychological rules.

46. Amber says:

I couldn’t wait for Sara to be out of the picture, so they could have a chance. Oliver loves her she was the last person he thought of before he went over the cliff.

47. Platynum says:

So…will Black Canary have her call as in the comics,cause as much as I love to see Felicity and Arrow ,the shippers are beginning to ruin a great show.I watched from the beginning for the story-lines not for the love story to be up front and central.That ruins the show …ask The Vampire Diaries what happened to them.They let a ship take over and although those shippers are loud,they felt the loss in the viewership.So please …give us proper story-lines..(this coming from a middle aged viewer with a teenage son)..thx

48. selena Morgan says:

I can’t wait it’s about time Oliver and Felicity got together!!!!!!

49. Tobias says:

Sorry, as a person who has read the comics.. I can’t see Oliver Queen without the Black Canary.

• Jill says:

There are many versions of the comics. In some the Black Canary ends up with the Green Arrow, in others she ends up with someone else.

50. disonba3 says:

NO! I”m not okay with Felicity’s desision!!!!! Oliver NEES to be with Laural, she is his equal, his partner and she loved him even after he had casual sex with her sister, I won’t be ahppy untill they get back together! Felicity needs to find her own man!!!