Jane the Virgin's Gina Rodriguez: Winning CW's First Golden Globe 'Meant Everything'

Jane the Virgin Gina Rodriguez Golden Globes 2015

Gina Rodriguez‘s Golden Globes win Sunday night, which took place mere hours after Jane the Virgin‘s Season 2 renewal, was “like eating red velvet [cake] and knowing it’s fat-free,” the giddy actress told reporters backstage at the ceremony.

Rodriguez’s win was a first for the network, which the actress noted had experienced heavy love from critics since the beginning of the season.

“We were bound for success, because the critics had my back. [The CW has] given me a place to fly, and I’m going to do everything I can to repay them for that,” she said.

“The win meant everything,” she added, noting that Jane portrays Latino culture in a “beautiful light” and that the series’ ripple effect is “needed, especially in a time when we have a society that is so diverse and so beautiful and so human.”

She added: “We need to remember that we all have the same stories, and see it as such.”

1. cerreno says:

Yes, yes a thousand times YES!!!! SO freakin happy for Gina! This show has been amazing and her performance went noticed!!! So happy!!!

2. BEST GLOBES MOMENT! – Never thought id see the day when a CW show was taken seriously, and as a TV fan I am so happy that it was Jane The Virgin that paved the way!

3. Alaisdair says:

So excited!! Could not have gone to a better actress/show! Hopefully this will push the ratings up for “Jane” as the show is my favourite of the new season! Congrats

4. webly3 says:

The best moment of the night was her win (even if I think Taylor Schilling gave a slightly better performance in the second season premiere of OITNB). Her speech and reaction made me so happy.

5. rachelle says:

So WELL deserved! This show has been magic from the start and Gina was such a big part of why I fell in love with it. There are no words to describe how happy I am about all the love and recognition Jane the Virgin is getting!

6. Hayes says:

She’s so well-spoken.

• Smith says:

Code for I can’t believe a Latina can speak so well. Smdh #racist

• Dude says:

No, actually Gina is ridiculously eloquent for anyone but the fact that you jumped to that conclusion says so much more about you…

• puck says:

You can’t blame Smith for the society we live in. He/She has every right to jump to that conclusion, the person who left that comment obviously was looking to push some buttons or he/she would’ve commended Gina on her performance on the show and if that person doesn’t watch the show, why comment at all? Deep down you know it and so does everyone else who’d rather let it go.

• Hayes says:

Lol. Don’t put words in my mouth. I don’t know what society you live in, but I sure don’t live in the same one. I, unlike you, know how to appreciate a compliment when I see one. Gtfo and take your cynicism with you.

• adam says:

I might of used similar wording, i’ve thought that i love the way she talks in interviews and at award shows. Everything, she says sounds well thought out, interesting, funny and intelligient. Something i would also say about Taylor Swift and Adelaide Kane as well.

• Hayes says:

Lol here have a Snickers.

• Lucifer says:

Poor baby. le cry

7. ... says:

A ridiculously self-important speech. She’s not treading ground that people like America Ferrera hasn’t already been.

• Ann says:

Why so negative? She is treading on new territory. America Ferrera’s show was on ABC, which is already a respected, established network. Gina Rodriguez’s win came for a show that appears on the CW. Honestly, I didn’t think she stood a chance of winning, simply because her show airs on the CW. But it was nice for the CW to finally get some respect and win it’s first Golden Globe.

8. Sparky77 says:

Maybe I should check this show out!! Delighted for the CW and she seems like a really nice person….delighted for her!!!

9. Alia says:

So happy she won! I love her as Jane, and that speech was wonderful! I hop her win brings more viewers to that show. Congratulations on the award AND on the renewal, Gina! Both are richly deserved.

10. Loved this win! Congrats to Gina!! So well deserved! :) Jane The Virgin is such a great show.

11. Tracy says:

It is ABSURD that the critics and awards committee can give so much to this brand new show while continuing to ignore Supernatural for the last decade!

• Rose says:

Tracy while I’m happy for Gina winning the award cause Jane is a really good show i have to admit that Supernatural does deserves to be on that list and disappointed that they ignore or give this show recognition especially to the actors who have done one hell of a job so I’m wirh you on that

• Anna says:

I watched Supernatural and there is nothing on that show that is award worthy. It only received People’s Choice ones and Teen Choice ones because fans could vote for them 20 times a day.

• Lucifer says:

I’m glad you feel so passionately about the show. But it’s not major-awards-worthy, wake up and smell the sulfur.

12. puck says:

I miss George Lopez, that was funny, smart and creative.

13. puck says:

Just remember Gina, they build you up to rip you down, watch your back.

14. fra says:

SO, SO, SO Happy for Gina. The show is amazing, it deserves recognition. She is such a grat actress and person. Deserved! Happy for the CW and Pedowitz too. first prize in 8 years.

15. Drew says:

I call BS. This show was on the air for about five minutes before it was nominated. That is like giving Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for things he might potentially do.
    Nothing against the show or its actors, but there are so many great shows that have gone years without so much as a mention and this show gets a win when it is only a couple months into its first season?
    This is why I hate award shows. This was not deserved. “Deserved” would imply that it was earned. That takes more than a couple of episodes.

16. Pracownicy na płace nie narzekają, a pomysły na druk spływają do firm każdego dnia.