Mad Men Team Talk 'Perfect' Series Finale, Spinoff Possibilities

Mad Men Season 7 Spinoff

Better Call Pete?

Not so fast. When the topic of spinoffs came up during Mad Men‘s final Television Critics Association press tour panel on Saturday — and star Jon Hamm jokingly suggested the aforementioned title— creator Matthew Weiner weighed in on a possible offshoot to the AMC drama.

“I can’t wait for people to see [the final episodes],” he said. “It’s going be weird to actually get to the point where there is no more new ones. The spinoff, right now, is these last seven episodes, as far as I’m concerned.”

Weiner noted that the back half of the series’ swan song will “advance the story in a different way.”

“The last seven episodes, each one of them feels like a finale,” Weiner continued.

RELATED Mad Men‘s 7-Episode Farewell Run Gets Premiere Date at AMC

With the show’s end imminent, Hamm took time to look back — and to his jobless future. “So looking forward to being unemployed,” the actor joked. “So happy not to see any of these people ever again, and all of that is really great. Hashtag sarcasm.”

On a more serious note, “There’s no version of this ending that is not super painful for me,” Hamm added.

The experience was an emotional one for co-star January Jones, as well, especially when she received the series finale script.

“The last week, I was a mess,” she said. “Anything made me cry. It’s a beautiful story. It’s perfect, in a way. I read it over and over again. Sometimes I still read it, like on a Thursday afternoon.”

Elisabeth Moss also gave the conclusion a rave review. “I was surprised in the best way and just really, really happy with it,” she shared.

As for the conspiracy theories about Megan’s possible connection to Sharon Tate, which the creator has refuted, Weiner has no complaints about viewers reading too much into it.

“If you’re watching the show, you’re watching the show right,” he said. “The Sharon Tate thing, it’s so flimsy and thin and yet, at the same time, it’s like, ‘Wow, that’s a lot of coincidences.'”

Still, “I would not add a person who was not murdered by the Manson family into that murder,” he said.

1. Ameer says:

I have a lump in my throat after reading all the tweets from this panel.

2. Sophie says:

Although I think it was a mistake to break the last season in two parts, i still can’t wait for the last chapter.. I wish it will have more Betty and the rest od the Draper family. Just no more Megan and any other of Don’s random mistresses..

• jack jones says:

Your wish will be granted. I agree. Megan is horrible. Her acting needs work. Bad actresses always exhale inexplicably after each line is delivered. Like those who came before Megan..Like Kelly Kaposki (Tiffany Amber Theissen). Once you see what I’m talking about you will never unseenit. Those stupid exhales are just fillers for bad actors.

3. TV Gord says:

“…there is no more new ones.”

I love the work of Matthew Weiner, but it’s so discouraging to learn that someone who is a writer has such a poor grasp of the most basic grammar.

4. Ram510 says:

I’d watch a spinoff

5. barry says:

I’m looking forward to season 7, but will miss the show, cast, energy, etc…of the show.

6. Alanistic says:

Anyone else read the quotes with John Hamm’s voice in their head?

7. N tTVfiddler says:

Any word yet of Neve Campbell? She was in premiere of season 7 – I assume she’ll be back for final episodes?

8. jack jones says:

The finale left me sad. I watched it last week. Can’t tell how. But I did. It is definitely left open to spinoffs. I am probably just sad that it’s over. It is hard to please the masses with such an incredible show that never disappoints. I love this show. I hope there are spinoffs!!!!

9. Shannon says:

My prediction for the finale of Mad Men is that it has been a foreshadowing of sorts. We find Dick Whitman standing over Don Drapers body holding dog tags. He has had an out of body experience. Realizing he doesn’t want to live this way. He chooses Dicks life instead of Don’s. And therefore Don does die. And his ghosts are put to rest.

10. Harry Deal says:

It was a great series, my wife and I watched it just about every night from Netflix……..we both think Hamm could be the next James Bond type; English or American. Can’t wait for the spin-offs!