Outlander Team Talks 'Stubborn' Jamie, Changes in Final Season 1 Episodes

There’s nothing Outlander‘s Jamie Fraser could do that would make him seem less than perfect… right?

Wrong.

When the Starz fantasy drama returns this spring with a second batch of Season 1 episodes, Jamie may seem “a lot less idealistic.”

“He’s discovering his place, he’s got new responsibilities,” star Sam Heughan said Friday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena. “We’ll start to see the stubborn side and his pride. We’ll see the chinks in his armor.”

The next eight episodes will finish running the course of Diana Gabaldon’s first book in the Outlander series. Upon the show’s return, the first episode will be told from Jamie’s point of view, rather than Claire’s usual perspective — a change that will only be made for one installment, according to executive producer Ron Moore.

Outlander 2014“We’re restarting the audience, so we wanted to have a lead-in for the viewers that would shift the point of view,” Moore said. “This was a moment to pivot and include him in the perspective of the audience.”

One thing viewers won’t see in the next eight episodes is the perspective of Frank, Claire’s present-day husband. But rest assured: He’s not gone forever.

“The story does revisit Frank in the 21st century in Book Two, so in the second season you will [see him],” Moore said.

Speaking of Season 2, the cast and crew will begin filming it in Scotland this spring. Although part of the second book takes place in Paris, Moore confirmed that shooting would only occur in Scotland.

Following the success of the series’ initial eight episodes, Gabaldon said the show’s stars have surpassed all her casting expectations.”They’ve done beautifully,” she said. “They’re much, much better than I thought they would be.”

When asked if the lines are ever blurred between the actors and the characters, Gabaldon confessed: “Claire and Caitriona I can keep separate. [Sam] kind of flickers in and out for me.”

Starz on Friday released a new trailer for the upcoming episodes, as well as a fresh batch of photos, which you can view below.

The second half of Outlander Season 1 debuts Saturday, April 4.

Looking forward to Outlander‘s next round of episodes? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. lori says:

It will be interesting to see things from Jamie’s perspective.

2. Alichat says:

No more Frank makes sense. Honestly I don’t know how they are going to fit into these last episodes everything important that happens in the book. To try to add Frank moments would be too much.

3. IMHO says:

Love the show but the 6 month break in the middle is too long.
    I can understand a 2 month break like The Walking Dead does but anything longer than that is too much.

• Dave Allen says:

Oh? Does that mean you stopped watching Game of Thrones because there was a ten-month break after the first ten episodes were shown?

Outlander was still FILMING the first seasons’ episodes despite that the first eight had already started broadcasting four months earlier!

4. A perfect man without flaws is either delusional or boring. Jamie perfection has always lay in the fact that he is willing to learn from his mistakes and continue growing. I don’t know about anyone else but that makes him perfect to me.

5. Rob Yn K says:

Hell yeah… can’t wait till April. The next questions to be answered are who will play Bree and Roger and the air date of season 2 as we have been told it wont be till 2016. Love the show and have read all 8 books since August. Diana Gabaldon is a genius and Ron is doing a brilliant job. There will be lots of controversy when non book readers see what is coming next. Once again, CAN’T WAIT to see how the story will be told… hope it goes on for the next 10 years… April is going to be amazing with GOT and Outlander showing…

6. Linda Doty says:

Please tell me what TV station this is on or which NBC ABC or what. I have all of her books from the very first one and w ould love to see the series.

7. Sharon says:

Absolutely cannot wait until April 4th!!! Just to comment, it was a cruel move to make us wait until April. I have watched the first 8 episodes over and over again, so I wouldn’t have to be without Jamie and Claire! I just noticed in one of the comments below that you are going to make us wait until 2016 for the next book. NOOO Please! I have read all the books and I really think you are doing a great job telling their story – thank you!! I have started reading the books again. It is nice to picture faces with the characters and it helps with “droughtlander”!.

8. jan says:

I would only wait 6 months for Outlander. I would have dropped any other series.

9. EHO says:

Frank, in the 20th Century is a very uninteresting character…. it has to be that way, going up against a time-traveler and “Big Bad Nasty Frank” in the 18th Century. Then, add in Jamie… hard to compete with that, leaving Frank to seem ineffective at least and boring at worst. I find it refreshinly realistic. Real People are like that, and the clearly drawn characterization allows a richer, realer experience.

10. Kimberly Kirk says:

Anyone know when it (the new season) will be available on iTunes??