American Idol Recap: Who Run the World? Girls! (*Age 19 and Under)

Pay no attention to Jennifer Lopez’s birth certificate! The “dewdrops in the enchanted forest” freshness of her visage is all the confirmation you need that the woman who gave us “Booty” (and booty) last summer is most definitely still a teenager.

Pity the poor mortals who have to age, though. “There’s something about when they’re that young,” J.Lo mused after 16-year-old Lovey James’ perky rendition of “Break Free” (a surprising hit for decaying 21-year-old Ariana Grande). “There’s a fearlessness… the same girl at 25 that comes in here and [hasn’t] had the success is a little beaten down. That freshness is so exciting!”

Just spitballing here, Judge Lopez, but maybe the women who’ve waited ’til their twenties to audition for American Idol have been going to college or honing their songwriting skills or working to pay for their kids’ grocery bills or making damn sure they’re mentally, spiritually and intellectually solid before subjecting themselves to the emotional meatgrinder that is reality television.

[Insert emoji of exasperation here.]

OK, you didn’t come here to read a feminist rant — and I honestly didn’t set out to write one. And even worse, I’ve buried the big news: After a solid but not-in-any-way-spectacular Season 14 premiere on Wednesday, tonight’s installment gave us four or five legitimate contenders to the throne currently occupied by that retro-rock dude that won Season 13 and whose name I can almost guarantee won’t be uttered inside The House That Fantasia Barrino Shook to Its Foundation between now and 2017.

Without further ado, let’s talk about the 21 — yes, 21! — latest hopefuls who are bound for Hollywood Week — in order from least- to most-promising, and in the pithiest way possible! (It’s too early to get too invested, yes?) And be sure to check out the photo gallery of several key contenders at the bottom of this recap (as well as the return of Reality Check — costarring Melinda Doolittle — returning Monday on YouTube).

21. Zach Kaltenbach, “Grenade” | To quote Harry Connick Jr., “What? Really?” In this instance, the dissenting opinion was the correct one.

20. Andrew Annello, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours”/”My Girl” | Maybe they shoulda pulled the plug after Keith called this outsized personality’s Stevie Wonder cover a “caricature of a performance.”

19. Steffi Ledbetter, “Back to Black” | Montaged chica still managed to fit 12 too many riffs into her 14-second Amy Winehouse snippet.

18. Jhameel, “Buy U a Drink” | In the wake of a very strong episode, his origami presents to the judges and his asymmetrical face paint are all I remember. Which is not the ringingest endorsement of his vocals.

17. Alison Peratikos, “Cowboy Take Me Away” | Her Dixie Chicks cover was like when you order a burger and substitute the Caesar salad for fries, and the salad is fine but chances are you won’t be recalling any details about it in 48 hours.

16. Loren Scott, “Treasure”/”Saving All My Love For You” | A cynical major-label A&R type would sign this incredible beauty on looks alone, but lack of artistic authenticity — and the occasionally grating quality of her glory notes — isn’t gonna fly in the talent-first confines of the Idoloonie Nation.

15. Naomi Tatsuoka, “Someone Like You” | Like J.Lo said, there were some gorgeous moments in this eccentric gal’s performance. But Naomi’s self-described “Tequila Tuesday” stylings were more appropriate for a karaoke-bar hostess than a viable recording artist.

14. Jake Black, “Lego House” | Need more information to see if this montaged guy with a penchant for beat-boxing is capable of being anything more than Hollywood Week fodder.

13. Alex Shuer, “I See Fire” | Candidate for Season 14 Heartthrob showcased a lovely tone on his Ed Sheeran cover, but he’ll have to do a better job of hiding his obvious nerves if he’s going to survive into the live shows.

12. Piper Jones, “Mama Knows Best” | Served up Jessie J’s big hit with an extra side of sauce, but there were some minor imperfections peppered in throughout, too. I’m on the fence.

11. Trevor Douglas, “Sing” | Science geek teen got an inordinate amount of airtime for someone without a Certified Tragic Backstory. He certainly mastered the rapid-fire tempo of his Ed Sheeran cover, but he’s the type of contestant who might’ve benefitted from a few more years of experience to shake out the raggedy edges of his not-quite-full-enough tone.

10. Gina Venier, “Put the Gun Down” | I know, I know… this drum-playing rocker chick spoke her lyrics as much as she sang ’em, but wouldn’t the early live shows of Season 14 be more interesting with a one-woman band?

9. Hector Montenegro, “Too Close” | Hard to root against this handsome and charismatic cosmetologist, but while his pitch was rock solid, I’m not sure his sound is unique enough for Top 24 status.

8. Lovey James, “Break Free” | You know incoming mentor (and label exec) Scott Borchetta will hear the ka-ching of a cash register the second he lays eyes on Lovey, but while she hit damn near every note of her Ariana Grande cover, there was something slightly affected about the way she pronounced her words that stopped me from fully connecting with her performance. She’s still got time to visit the Fantasia School of Vocal Enhancement to take a course in Ugly It Up 101, though.

7. Garrett Miles, “Proud Mary”/”Como La Flor” | Quietly confident blind guy reinvented the melody and tempo of CCR’s “Proud Mary” in a way that made it more laid-back and countrified — without losing its hardscrabble essence. His ability to break out a Selena soundtrack cut was the Fritos atop the Gordita.

6. Kelley Kime, “Sunday Morning” | Lucky for the judges, Kelley’s slinky, sultry, smoky Maroon 5 cover made her a no-brainer for a ticket to Hollywood. I mean, no matter how cute her toddler’s “Let It Go” was — BTW, way to jump on a trend 10 months too late, Idol — she should’ve gotten a gold star, not a Golden Ticket from Harry, Keith and Jennifer.

5. Cody Fry, “Over the Rainbow” | He’s got craaaaaaayzeeee range — and a very intriguing way of phrasing a song. Still, Cody will need to rely a little more on heart, and a little less on stylistic frills, before he’ll kick me into speed-dial mode.

4. Clark Beckham, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” | I don’t know where Keith’s mind was during Clark’s acoustic James Brown cover, but no way did it lack oomph or emotion. I loved that “step-down” run he threw into the final “this is a man’s…” — and the way he brought to life the pain and intensity of the lyrics without veering into vocal histrionics. Dude is one to watch.

3. Jess Lamb, “Ain’t No Sunshine” | Bravo to Idol‘s producers — or at least the episode’s wiley editor — for bringing in 28-year-old Jess, a veteran performer with all the buoyancy and enthusiasm in the world, immediately after J.Lo’s “teenage freshness” comment. This gloriously genuine soul singer’s spine-tingling trills and ad-libs made me feel like I was hearing Bill Withers’ chestnut for the very first time — which is about the highest praise you can heap on a complete unknown’s audition. Please please please let her advance to the live shows as a tonic to the inevitable youth invasion.

1. (tie) Savion Wright, “Change the World” | One of Season 13’s most painful Green Mile cuts expressed his thankfulness for the extra year of experience, and I can’t argue with his thinking. Unique and soulful as Savion was a year ago, his Eric Clapton cover — a masterclass in finesse and subtlety, with the occasional sprinkle of Stevie Wonder-esque showboating —  was, in a word, exquisite. Also, with his braces off, Savion’s hotness factor has quadrupled. (Call me shallow for making the observation, but we all know that stuff counts when teenage girls/gays/middle-aged moms get to voting.)

1. (tie) Sarina Joi-Crowe, “Love Runs Out” | You know how when Oprah used to do her Favorite Things episode, and the unsuspecting audience was left screaming/crying/imploding over the bounty of swag bestowed on ’em. That’s how I felt seeing Sarina — whose brief snippets of airtime in three prior seasons made her unexplained pre-voting eliminations all the more infuriating — finally get her moment and STRAIGHT-UP SLAYYYYY IT. As Harry noted, Sarina’s laser-sharp runs were completely in time with the wicked tempo of One Republic’s very best number — and the final “yes, I can do this without Auto-Tune or a 10-second pause-for-breath run” was the kind of awesome spectacle necessary for any future Idol champ. If you didn’t know Sarina-Joi Crowe before today, now you know.

On that note, I pass the mic to you! What did you think of night two of the American Idol Season 14 premiere? Vote for your favorite auditions, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Oh, and please come back to TVLine all season long for wall-to-wall Idol coverage — plus a brand-new season of our Web series Reality Check starring yours truly and the incomparable Melinda Doolittle!

1. Lourdes says:

Great recap as always. Yay!! So glad Reality Check is coming back!

• Jess Lamb, Savion Wright, Garrett Miles and Sarina-Joi. So great tonight. I was so pleased to see the majority of the 21 people going thorugh were over 21. I think it makes a big difference in how they deal with continuing to grow as a performer. Not saying the younger contestants can’t do it, we’ve seen it happen, but there is a real difference between a contestant that is seasoned like Jess Lamb and someone that is just figuring out their voices. I think it’ll make the show more entertaining to see how creative the more experienced contestants get. I think there is a lot of great talent on the show so far.

2. SLM says:

Sarina-Joi…..the end

3. j says:

Where’s Adam Lambert? Thought he was suppose to have filled in for Keith?

4. Jaszy says:

TWO WORDS: JESS LAMB! Wooh! I was beginning to lose all hope seeing WGWG after WGWG, who all sounded similar if you ask me. If that’s the way this season’s trying to go, I want no part of it. I’m sick of the WGWG’s, just so sick. It was like one after the other, with a sprinkling of girl singers here and there. I don’t watch American Idol to look at cute dudes.
    But Jess Lamb is the bomb! Like, MAJOR!!! Her audition was amazing. When I was looking at her pre-package, she reminded me so much of the singer Feist, who is such an original artist. I was also seeing hints of Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple. The singer/songwriters I just mentioned are some of my favorite artists of all time and Jess can hold her own. She is so unique. And unlike all the WGWG’s, there are not a lot of Jess Lambs. That jam session with Harry was fantastic. I love this girl. She’s one to watch definitely. You can tell she lives, breathes, eats and sleeps music; her passion, commitment, and drive showed in that audition. I’ve been playing piano (classical training) for 12 years (since I was 8), and I WISH i could play like her, getting all jazzy with it.
    Everything about her is just perfect. She definitely has to be one of the TOP 24!
    That was the perfect ending to a testosterone-filled episode.
    Jess Lamb, you better work!

DISCLAIMER: I do post on other sites that recap for American Idol and the Voice, so some of my comments will be familiar if some of you comment on other sites as well. What can I say? I love singing competition shows. They are my life.
    But who cares, ON with it American Idol!

• Brandon says:

There were also BGWG, HGWG, AND AGWG. :)

• Yeah, there were but the majority of them were WGWG’s. I just don’t want another one to win. Have you seen the past seasons. Season 7, season 8, season 9, season 10, season 11….WGWG’s. I’m tired of it.

• Brandon says:

I agree with you! But I actually did like a few of them tonight.

• Mel says:

Phillip Phillips’ HOME is the best selling American Idol song of all time. He is the 3rd highest earning Idol – behind Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson.

• What is that supposed to mean? He still sucks compared to Carrie and Kelly. He had a hit single, which was over-rated, in my opinion. Whoo! What else has he done? Has he had a hit album yet? One as big as the two aforementioned Female singers? The females have had more success post-idol.

• Mel says:

Candice Glover won Season 12 – and she is the 2nd worse selling winner.

Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the rare exceptions. And it doesn’t mean that everyone is a failure. Far from that.

The latest Forbes list of highest earning Idols made up of winners:

#1 Carrie Underwood
          #2 Kelly Clarkson
          #3 Phillip Phillips
          #4 Scotty McCreery; Taylor Hicks
          #8 Fantasia

And to your question, yes Phillip has a Platinum selling album. That is very well known.

• Well, I sure as heck haven’t heard any other song of his but Home. But then again, I don’t listen to Top 40 radio. Even still, he’s not as popular as Kelly and Carrie was within their first few years of winning.
            I don’t care about Candice Glover. I wanted Angie Miller to win that season.
            I never said any winner was a failure, I just hate seeing the same types of people win, hence the WGWG’s. And you can’t say that some of them didn’t win because of millions of teen girls and old women voting for the cute boys/men. That’s what irks me. Vote for someone not because they are cute, but because they have exceptional talent. Some of the people that won the seasons I mentioned did not deserve to win.
            Though my personal favorite during season 11 was Elise Testone, based on the final 2, Jessica Sanchez should’ve won that season, not Phillip.
            Season 10, Scotty McCreery’s voice alone was not strong enough to be deserving of that win. His voice is really weak and he sang similar songs throughout his run, but because people thought he was cute and he had southern charm, he was voted the winner when in all actuality, Haley Reinhart had a much better journey vocally on that season.
            Taylor Hicks, where the heck is he? Katharine McPhee was the clear winner of Season 5.
            Season 9, Lee DeWyze won because of cute boy syndrome. Crystal Bowersox should’ve won.
            I don’t care what statistics you throw, cause they are just that – statistics.
            Mention Phillip Phillips’ name to the average citizen of the US, and most of them would not have heard of him as opposed to Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson.
            I stand by what I said.

Go Jess Lamb! I really hope she made it to Top 24.

• Jasmine Porter, Ahh Yes Angie Miller was my favorite too. What is wrong with this picture? I think the idol producers are so “into” THE LOOKS of contestants, when some of the (over 25 contestants) have better voices or maybe have a little extra weight. I dont really like how they are picking the golden tickets this year.

• What do these mean? BGWG, Big guy with guitar? HGWG Hot guy with guitar? AGWG A**hole guy with guitar? LOL Not sure what they mean. I only know WGWG

• LeahKittyS says:

BGWG = Black Guy With Guitar
          HGWG = Hispanic Guy With Guitar
          AGWG = Asian Guy With Guitar

• Leah Kitty Oh okay LOL Thanks! So basically it describes the different nationalities on guitars! BGWG, HGWG, AGWG! The red head guy WG with the blue eyes is really cute! Cant remember his name!

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL Brandon!

• Holy crap yes. Jess Lamb, WHAT??? She was amaaaaazzzzzziiiinnnggg! wow

5. Andrea says:

I chose Sarina Joi-Crowe, Garrett Miles, and Piper Jones. I can’t wait to see them all in the next round! :)

6. Brandon says:

It was very hard to pick just 3. Loved the talent tonight!

7. Chris says:

Lovey James tints me soooo much of someone last season. I don’t remember her name, but I knew she rapped and was cut in Rush Week.

8. Angela says:

It’s not that they don’t want to. This site just tends to eat comments sometimes. It’s happened to me a few times before as well, and I know other people have commented on that happening to them as well.

9. Angela says:

Yeah, that “Someone Like You” cover started off so well, and then all of a sudden she’s screeching and screaming and I’m like, damn it. People: You. Do not. Need. To scream. Your words. Just freaking sing, and quit trying to show off all these crazy vocal gymnastics. A few people seemed to have that problem again tonight.
    As for the good parts? Won’t argue on Savion (I have a personal affection for that song, too, which didn’t hurt :D), and I really liked Garrett as well, especially when he did “Como La Flor” and Jennifer started joining in. I like it when people can surprise you like that. Jess was good, too.
    And I liked Kelley, and her daughter was adorable, but I just worry that whole thing could read a bit too…cutesy for some viewers, or like the judges would have a harder time saying no to someone who brought their kid in. But I prefer to not be cynical, and Kelley thankfully was good, so I’ll let it slide.

• Song Plugger says:

Yeah, it seemed more planned-for-camera and I doubt that Kelley will make it out of Hollywood simply because the competition will be stiff and the producer’s have now had their feel-good camera time for the benefit of the show, from this great looking Mom singer and very adorable cute daughter.

10. Michael H. says:

JDIAWNIJD WN WORK SARINA AND SAVION! I have been waiting for a whole year for these 2. I know they can get to the live shows this year. Jess was pretty darn great as well. While there were those hiccups that you noted, overall, I think that the winner will come from Kansas City this year.

11. LeahKittyS says:

I agree with Michael that Savion and Sarina stole the show. I can’t wait to see what else they have to offer. I also liked Clark, Trevor, Lovey, and Loren (whose last name is Lott, not Scott.)

How cute was the little girl who sang “Let It Go?!” I melted into a puddle of goo when that happened.

Sorry, guys, no weekly comment section this year. Too much on my plate, between school work and all the other stories I have to finish.

12. Art says:

Seriously, you put Clark Beckham up near the top? Maybe I just hate the song, but it sure did not touch me. There were a few others though that were way worse and got tickets.

13. CTZ says:

Good show tonight, hope they keep the momentum going

14. vdafilms says:

It’s “Shier” not “Shuer”. Get it right.

15. Derision says:

one more season of this trash, can’t wait for the axe to put this junk out of its misery

16. Jill Moy says:

Savion was decent…only worthwhile singer to me. The rest….ahh!

• Jill Moy says:

I am so astonished…NO GOOFY LOOKING CONTESTANTS LIKE LAST YEAR….AMAZING AS HECK! No complaints this year, so none of last years haters can’t complain about my comments!

• Jill Moy says:

Meant CAN complain!

• Hey Jill. I like the blind guy and the last girl (jess) that played piano with Harry. I think those are my 2 fav so far. That Tequila Tuesday girl! LOL I said she was from portland and she may surprise us. The AMISH dude from the voice is also from Portland! LOL We have some quirky weird people here. Lovey looks pretty normal though! She is also from here! What? Usually there is no singers from Portland on these shows. There is something in the water here that makes everyone crazy and weird!

• Okay I just rewound american idol and watched again and I have to tell you all my prediction! Once Tequila Tuesday girl calms down a little, she is going to surprise us all! And the Tequila Tuesday is a “for real” thing here in Portland. Im never going to shut up about Tequila Tuesday. It just cracks me up and so does she. I cant pronounce her name!Lol She must be from one of the more eccentric “groups” here in Portland. I think she is going to blow us away

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

This year, no singer really grabs me. I don’t see any great talent! Oh well, maybe next week! So, how have you been? I wonder if Rising Star is returning (hope not)? Well, hope CWB has great success!

• Oh Im sure CWB will do well. He is so good! I liked Jess which was the last girl that performed with Harry!

• Jill Moy says:

I liked Jess as well but I really haven’t heard greatness yet!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Uh, the Asian dude with the black on his face was plenty goofy looking to me.

17. danlevin says:

retro-rock dude that won Season 13 and whose name I can almost guarantee won’t be uttered inside The House That Fantasia Barrino Shook to Its Foundation between now and 2017.”????????????????
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? FANTASIA IS SO OFF KEY ,SCREAMY UNTIL NOW I DONT KNOW HOW SHE WON THE SHOW
    CALEB IS A ON SEVERAL LEVELS OVER HER , HIS VOCAL RANGE IS INSANE

• AGREED And right now he is doing shows with Lizzie from Halestorm. Hes havin a good time!

• Also there is a article on his facebook page for “The Best Ever 25 American Idol Performances. And all of those great ones like Mad World, By Adam Lambert, and Summertime by Fantasia. But guess who got 2, yes 2 iconic performances in this article? Yes Caleb is the only one. For Dream On and Maybe Im Amazed!

• danlevin says:

LIKE!! THATS GREAT TO HEAR

• Danlevin, I dont think we will have another super talent like Caleb. It was his voice and his performances. He made the show interesting too. Falling on the floor, banging his mic stand on the floor again and again. He cracked me up. I also loved the finale with him and Jena. He just made the show more fun! Also bringing the band out on stage with him was awesome!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I have never been a Fantasia fan either but clearly she’s been successful and a lot of people like her. I am happy for her success and am not going to criticize her vocals.

• MC says:

Fantasia really overdid the “ugly it up” moments during her time on the show. Those “ugly” moments are better in moderation, just like anything else. The season three frontrunners should have been Jennifer Hudson and LaToya London. I’m still trying to figure out how Diana DeGarmo cruised to a runner-up finish that season.

• Jill Moy says:

Finally, someone agrees with me about overrated Fantasia! She sounds kike a babbling baby. She is awful! What a farce! Her success is astonishing considering the fact that she is a karaoke singer at best! I never could understant the attraction!

• danlevin says:

agree totally .look at my comments below, fantasia is really a mistery to me
        i havent seen the season but when she was the guest in another season and they said she won the show and then i hear her singing i had a great lough ,what on earth america is listening to ???

• Jill Moy says:

Fantasia returned to idol to sing and again, she sounded like a 12 year old baby! Quincy Jones stated how great she was. He must be senile! She’s been on Broadway, she starred in a Lifetime movie about herself! This is allincredible for a woman who can’t sing. She has brainwashed everyone!

18. Stanislava says:

Can’t wait for Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great recap as always,Michael :)

19. HEY TEQUILA TUESDAYS EVERYONE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SH** SHE CRACKS ME UP!

20. Mytake says:

Loved Jess Lamb. She was the highlight of the show IMO

21. Babzz says:

I adore Cody Fry. Found him via browsing youtube and I was sold! Not likely he will win this shindig, but no matter. At least it’ll give him more notoriety. Lots of interesting singers so far.

22. Mary says:

Much better show than last night. Saw several talented contestants but still nobody knocked me socks off. Like to see more of Savion, Cody, and Jesse. Sarina was good but I don’t see why everyone is so OTT on her. Hopefully AI will keep the momentum going and show more good contestants. I will wait till the top 24 before I get really invested because we all know the producers have a way of screwing it up who they put thru.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree with your comment on Sarina, Mary. She was quite good but I wasn’t crazy about her last year and I kind of feel the same way this year. I loved seeing Savion Wright’s confidence!

23. darcy's evil twin says:

Good recap, Mr. Slezak!

• darcy's evil twin says:

This episode was strong but honestly, I don’t know what they were thinking with some of those Golden Tickets.
      The good points – aside from the returning favorites Sarina Joi-Crowe and Savion Wright (LOVE HIM), I loved Clark Beckham, Cody Fry, and Piper Jones. I found Jake Black interesting and he reminded me a bit of Alex from last season. Jess Lamb was a nice change from all the guitar players.
      Kelly Kime is gorgeous, can sing, has a darling daughter, and is a single mom? Really? Reminds me of that movie where Heather Locklear’s daughter had to set her up with someone because she couldn’t get a date, LOL.
      The “Tequila Tuesdays” girl and the AGWG that had the black stuff on his face should have been sent packing. The same goes for the cosmetologist (hector Montenegro) and Loren Scott. Yikes. I was also disappointed in Zach Kaltenbach’s “Grenade”, since he is a local. He said he went to the same high school as David Cook (Blue Springs South) and lives in Lee’s Summit. I was stunned when he got a Golden Ticket. Harry had it right on that one. I was just disappointed in general there weren’t more local auditions shown from the Kansas City metro at the Kansas City auditions.

24. Dj says:

I’m not sure if Lovely James should be on AI. I know the shows knows about her history but really it doesnt feel like she is this unsigned talent looking for her shot. Just check out her VeVo page It doesn’t seem to fair.

25. blingedup says:

Michael, I’ve missed you! Yes, ready for another season of Idol!!

26. Timmah says:

Enjoy the young girls while you can, because we all know they’ll be the first ones voted out when they get to the finals.

27. kate'shomesick says:

Sorry but that ranking is OFF. Vocally Sarina has a lot of issues though she of course deserved her golden ticket…Jhameel was actually pretty great. The song didn’t give him any chance to showcase his vocals but it was very musical and I enjoyed his presence a lot. Also Andrew did a great job with his second song. It felt very vulnerable and honest and it was just very nice vocally…also I didn’t think Zach was bad at all. His singing was fine…he seemed a very controlled person though and that’s difficult for stage-stuff but can be learned. I saw a lot more potential in him then say the single mother which couldn’t keep my attention for more than 10 seconds. The cajon girl has no technique and started forcing every time she went a little beyond her speech-level singing (which wasn’ very good either….not enough tilt …over time that’s gonna damage her chords). Savion was great. Cody was great. Jess I liked a lot as a person but a lot of her singing felt very artificial- strange vowel pronunciation…Alex isn’t singing at all. That it not the natural tone of his voice and he won’t be singing for long if he doesn’t learn some technique.

28. Lauren says:

Oh my God, I can’t wait for Reality Check! I almost feel like I watch Idol just so I can watch you guys talk about it!

29. Lyn says:

Cody and Savion.

30. deedee says:

Hi Michael & fellow Idoloonies! I’m a little worried about this season. First of all, I didn’t obsessively check to see when the show was set to start. BY ACCIDENT, I came across that info last week, and realized how detached I’d been! Made a mental not to tune in this week, and then … FORGOT! *gasp* I’ve never before forgotten to watch the season premier, let alone not known when the season was starting!!

So, I came here just now to get a little inspiration. This can never happen again!

31. Mark says:

…about Garrett Miles: I feel the need to remind all about an artist named Ronnie Milsap, an extremely successful country artist, who had a career total of 40 #1 hits. From Garrett’s first note, I heard that same “soulful twang” in his voice, which made Milsap so successful. I also think they share a humble attractiveness that I believe will land Garrett into the top ten. This guy could be the winner, don’t count him out.

32. Mr. Sunshine says:

I’m still dumbfounded when they send a great singer home and keep someone who is pretty or cute. Is it just me, but I sometimes feel Harry’s logic makes no sense. And, the few times he’s sang live have not impressed me that much. Of course, he’s a much better singer than J-Lo… But, they really doesn’t take much. Of all the judges, Keith has the nicest quality to his voice. Alas, I’m not a country music fan though.

33. Gailer says:

So happy to see savionj back! I had forgotten about that possibility, I was mad last season, but I thought it had to do with his brother’s passing.