USA Network Cancels Covert Affairs

Covert Affairs Cancelled

Annie Walker’s mission is over.

USA Network has cancelled Covert Affairs after five seasons, TVLine has confirmed.

Last month, executive producer Chris Ord told TVLine that he and fellow EP Matt Corman “wouldn’t be happy” if the Season 5 finale — which ended with Annie contemplating a marriage proposal from Ryan and a job offer from Joan — was the series’ last episode.

“We want the show to continue,” he said. “We’re very proud of this finale. So at least we feel if we didn’t come back, we’d be going out on a high note. We don’t really like to think about it in those terms.”

PHOTOS Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 27 Returning Favorites

Added Corman: “For us, these characters and the actors we’re working with are so infinitely talented that we think we could keep telling stories forever. Maybe we’re delusional in that sense, but we just love this show so much. We don’t like to think about it in terms of the end.”

The EPs, star Piper Perabo and her castmate Peter Gallagher responded to the cancellation on Twitter:

1. Kinda knew this was coming. This season felt like a last season anyway & the finale felt like a *Series* Finale

• spartan says:

Yeah, I don’t think it could go on long after they gave Annie a heart defect and after the soapy back-and-forth with Augie … but I liked all the characters and wish they would have wrapped it up a little better.

2. ScorpionGlow says:

Wow! Yes, I expected the show to end, but I did expect them to wrap it up in a far better way. How disappointing.

• J.B. says:

Well considering they didn’t have a 100% confirmation that they were being canceled it’s kind of not fair to blame them for not wrapping it up in a pretty perfect bow.

3. Schatzi49 says:

Booooooo!! Loved this show. One less reason to watch your channel.

• Brad says:

Couldn’t agree more. USA seems to keep cancelling all their good shows: Burn Notice, White Collar, and now Covert. Their newer shows they advertise ad nauseum like Satisfaction just aren’t compelling or fun like the aforementioned.

• Marie says:

I agree as well. They replace three good shows with great character/acting talent with “Chrisley Knows Best”–another reality show, “Satisfaction”– a show about a married couple prostituting themselves, and “Rush”–a show that looks to be about a doctor profiting off the wealthy/celebrity drug and excess lifestyle. Way to go USA. Classy move.

• Lorinda says:

I agree with Marie ! Good Bye USA…I’m sure I’m not the only one jumping off you’re ship….

• 1776blues says:

After this show is gone they’ll have basically nothing left except for Graceland, which I’ll still watch.

• Mary S says:

I tried to watch Graceland but couldn’t get through the 2nd episode. So there is nothing left for me at all.

• 1776blues says:

That’s okay some shows are not for everybody well maybe those dumb reality shows should be. Never could watch reality shows. I swear that cable network channels like USA TNT etc rarely cancelled popular shows. Now they’re dropping like flies. Perception, Dallas, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, Justified (in its final season) and more….. not all of the above were cancelled. For example Burn Notice apparently could not renew its lease on the property used for the home of the lead man.

• I loved the show,and white collar,too(least they got an ending)Why didn’t they cancel Suits or Satisfaction? The new show,DIG, sounds interesting,but we won’t be watching,why get interested in something they’ll cancel because its too expensive for them to make……….

• Todd says:

Covert Affairs was the last show I was watching on USA.

I’m not surprised CA was cancelled. I’m sure it was an expensive series for basic cable with all of the international filming and it wasn’t going to get cheaper.

I will say this last season was not as good as previous ones. I think the show had run its course.

4. BlueNote says:

Damn! I hate USA for this. Great show..and greater cast. Why?

5. C says:

Was kindof a weak final season so i’m not really surprised.. that last episode felt like a series ender also

6. Andy says:

With them losing White Collar this season, too, I can’t say I could’ve called this. I stopped tuning in, but I thought the ratings were solid.

7. Missy Kelly says:

I don’t have a single show on USA that I watch. From one of the best cable channels to one of the worst. I watched the Choir marathon and for all those hours of programming there wasn’t a single new series I was interested in.

• m3rcnate says:

Amen. I mean i do have a few shows left that i watch but wow they messed up their major hit producer of a network. They had everything going for them, that “blue skies” mantra made hit shows like Burn Notice, Psych, Covert Affairs, White Collar, Suits, etc…and now what are we left with? Satisfaction? What a disgusting show about cheating and gigolo’s and they try to sell it as a “modern day love story”?! Disgusting. And “Rush”? lol…what a joke. They ruined Suits going all dark and ruined their main relationship (Mike/Rachel) with the dark cheating stuff, they ruined Graceland this season (especially Paige and Mike, really putting a hit out on him? disgusting) and they got their show (Covert Affairs) cancelled?

I mean lets all be honest…Covert Affairs wasn’t exactly hitting on all cylinders the past season or two…the addition of Calder was boring (especially his love thing with the Hooker)….im disappointed because personally i would have loved the twist of a new treatment trial being run and Auggie getting in and him getting his vision back, and him partnering up with Annie in the field (and all the fresh new stories you can tell with that)…i mean imagine the scenes where he can see everyone (especially Annie) for the first time…

• Stef says:

Rush was canceled awhile ago.

• m3rcnate says:

Ya but they bought the pilot, they bought the show, they made it, and they put it on the air…the old USA Network (Blue Skies, shows with heart) would have said “pass” once they read the pilot’s script. And wow what a rip off of so many other shows (House for one) and a bunch of others…just the total wrong direction for the USA Network.

• Mary Beth says:

Not to mention that Satisfaction and Rush had the same numbers but USA chose Satisfaction because they “liked the social conversation it fueled” (paraphrasing).

• Tammy says:

I actually like Satisfaction. The cheating is just a minor part of the story to me. But I do agree that the majority of the shows I watched are gone.

• m3rcnate says:

Seemed like in every trailer for the next new episode (which air in the commercials for other USA shows id watch) either the husband or wife is banging some (aka cheating) and lying. etc

• Abby says:

I don’t think Suits is ruined at all, but I’m not disagreeing with the rest.

• WayneAdneyC says:

Remember it was the cast and crew that decided it was time to end burn notice not USA network…Psych, probably the same way reaching a landmark 8 seasons and after so many cons you felt over-conned with White Collar. The Network probably thought the way we did that this was a season-ender at least for this version of covert affairs (Annie working for CIA directly).

I think the network is wiping the slate clean and secretly looking to bring us the next generation of epic cable shows…overstated a little on the epic adjective just as long it’s not unscripted reality shows. May the Kardashians’ butts forever get burn noticed from television screens (and that goes for computer screens and mobile devices, also.

• Thislittlelightofmine says:

Auggie getting his sight back was a really good idea you mention. Never thought of that. You should have been questioned about show ideas and we’d still be up and running. Grown up shows never seem to do as well as the trash tv. Perhaps if USA started putting the words “reality” in its titles you’d get some viewers. As I recall it took “friends” some time to get their footing and balance and make a success of it. Imagine the years they could have added to auggies sight.

• Marie says:

I expected Auggie to get his sight back too. They could have had a whole season with him in the field. Some of the episodes were weak, but I’d take those any day over a stupid “reality” show. Sigh.

• JC1 says:

I agree. There was a time when I watched every show on the network other than L&O:CI. Now there’s not a single show on there I’m watching. :(

• Emor says:

I agree. I have been watching shows regularly on USA beginning with the Dead Zone in 2002. At one point I was watching 5 shows on the network. Now with the end of White Collar, there are NO shows I watch on USA. NONE!!! It’s like a phantom limb…It feels like I watch the network, but I don’t.

8. amanda says:

Whoa that’s really unexpected.

9. lqza says:

Why oh why do they keep cancelling the BEST shows! I love this show, and am devastated!

10. cee cee says:

NOOOOOOOO…. USA Network just keeps cancelling good show after good show. What’s next? Suits? Royal Pains? I’m disappointed with all of their new shows they have debuted. and am less likely to tune in to their channel any more.

• kates2424 says:

I think Royal Pains is renewed for 2 more seasons.

• Nancy says:

Well unless they bring Jill back that show won’t last much longer. Their ratings have been going down steadily since she left. I quit watching it after that. How they got renewed for two more years when their ratings are just as bad as Covert Affairs I will never know!

• cerreno says:

Royal Pains is doing quite well in the ratings and was given two more seasons. So it should be around to season 8. Which is when it will end I think. Jill won’t be back because the actress is on her own show: Night Shift. That is a summer show like Royal Pains which means they start filming soon.
          They do need to get a good love interest for Hank and Paige preggos would be awesome.

• JC1 says:

The Night Shift was moved up – it will be taking over State of Affairs’ timeslot on Feb. 23. So I would think filming would already be underway.

11. mari johnson says:

I don’t think this season was the best, but USA is really losing shows and viewers. No Burn Notice, White collar, Psyche, necessary roughness, now covert affairs. Curious what they are after in viewership?

• Susan says:

I loved Necessary Roughness and Rush and they cancelled those. I agree that the last season of Covert Affairs wasn’t it’s best but they are about to lose all their views if they keep junk like Chrisley Knows Best on there. I love Royal Pains and so happy it was renewed for 2 more season. Just wish they would leave the good shows on and quit adding junk shows.

12. No Covert Affairs+ No White Collar = No reason to watch USA channel at all.

13. Susan says:

Loved the show! It seems like my reasons for tuning in to USA are dwindling. I’m sorry to see it go.

14. BrittBrat says:

I hate to see Covert Affairs go. USA sucks for that one.

15. kira says:

. i would what here this bye USA network first before you believe it from other sites first

• cee cee says:

TV Line is pretty dang reliable and they usually know what is going on. So I believe this is true! Not going to wait for USA Network as they don’t have a clue what they are doing over there since they are getting rid of all their good shows!

16. will says:

Based on the rumors, I prepared myself for this. Thinking back, the finale felt like a series finale. I felt it could be a satisfying series finale, and it did. It’d be nice for another network to pick it up, because I’m down for more. Maybe Netflix or Amazon can pick it up?

17. ChicagoDan says:

USA HAS to cancel all original series in order to give room for more SVU marathons.

18. Arlene says:

USA, doomed.

19. Jessica says:

I’m so disappointed in USA! First they cancel White Collar and now Covert Affairs?! Two of their best shows! USA, you suck!

20. albertj15 says:

It was a good show, but I was getting board with the way it was going.The actor playing Augie was the best one in the cast. Its tough playing a blind person when you can realy see. The actors are good an will be back on different shows.

21. Patty hughes says:

What had annie decided it is an unfinished business for viewers. She said I gonna go. To which direction q stay in spy business or with the love

22. The cancellation stinks!!!! It’s getting I add USA shows along with one of the major networks, I’m not going to get attached to any more!!!!!!

23. Come On USA ! You couldn’t give us a shortened Final Season? I’m so tired of Networks giving the fans the finger with some of these shows that have been on for over a few seasons and just canning them…They could have given us a few episodes like they did with White Collar..such a disappointment….after 5 years with a show full of characters I loved it would have been nice to have some closure….I can add USA to my list of boycotted Networks….

• B says:

I don’t understand why they didn’t at least give them a chance to truly wrap it up. Yes, I believe the last season and a half or so have been less than stellar. But for a show with five seasons completed, they should at least to a shortened final run. Ugh, I’m so disappointed!

24. n says:

Dagnabbit! A great show that deserved more opportunities to explore multifaceted, engaging characters unlike anything else on TV. A rousing, resounding BOOOOOOOO to USA Network, followed by an equally loud Bronx cheer.

25. Babygate says:

I’m not surprised. The ratings have been on a downward spiral for the last few seasons. I personally preferred the original procedural approach to the story. Once they serialized it so heavily it became a bit too convoluted. I still enjoyed it though. It was a quality show but quite expensive so I’m not surprised. I’m actually more surprised it lasted this long. Now there’s only Suits left for me on USA as I’m still waiting to hear about Playing House.

26. Pat says:

This is a shock for me. I have watched this show from the beginning and I had hoped for some story lines to wrap up. I am truly sadden by this and will definitely miss COVERT AFFAIRS! 😞😞😞

27. Shib Neddeff says:

Sadly another good show cancelled probably replaced with some silly so called reality show
    Will miss Annie and Auggie

28. Leanne says:

Figures. Keeps the bad shows and cancels the good ones. USA is losing a lot of viewers.

29. Diane says:

Unbelievable! Loved this show. What’s the matter with USA. They always cancel good shows.

30. Patricia roddy says:

I am devastated that they canceled covert affairs it’s my favorite show very disappointed in USA network.

31. pecola says:

Can’t believe they axed this and kept the awful Graceland.

32. VB says:

We have watched USA’s programs religiously for years, Burn Notice (my personal favorite), White Collar, Unecssary Roughness and Covert Affairs were programs we waited for with great anticipation every new season. Now the only 2 shows we watch on USA are Suits and Royal Pains. How can these great shows get cancelled in favor of all the junky reality shows? There are no new shows on USA that I’m even remotely interested in.

• Susan says:

I agree with you, VB. The only shows left that we like are Royal Pains and Suits. They keep canceling good shows and put junk reality shows on like Chrisley Knows Best. That show sucks! Makes you really wonder what is wrong with USA.

33. The Truth says:

Jesus. Finally. Show was horrible.

34. Jajacm says:

I hate all the new shows they have brought on. I keep watching the station less and less when in the past I felt that was one of the only channels to watch.

35. Dean says:

Given the number of shows USA have in development and the fact ratings were low even by cable standards this doesn’t surprise me. But it saddens me that so many ‘fun action’ dramas have ended on USA over the past few years from Burn Notice, to Psych, In Plain Sight, White Collar, now Covert Affairs.

• ChellemaBelle says:

AMEN! My thoughts exactly… everything you listed was a must-watch on my list.

I’d just add one more that bummed me out (from another network– Leverage). Librarians is good, but I keep imagining it so much better if they had Hardison & Parker.

36. Daisy says:

Well then. We can assume Annie got married and runs around the world spying with her hot spy husband and Auggie lives happily every after in not-a-spy land. The end.

37. Alichat says:

Oh come on!!! They have to give us 6 episodes like they did with White Collar…..to wrap things up. That finale can not be how they end things!

38. Sarah says:

I’m sad, but not surprised. I was hoping they would give it a shorter final season, though, like they did for White Collar.

39. Viv says:

Wait… what??? But… I honestly didn´t see that coming. So many loose ends. Not happy at all!

40. Tran says:

Covert Affairs was so great from the beginning but I thought the Season 4 arc with Gregory Itzin who fans of 24 will always remember him as the villainous commander in chief Charles Logan was the darkest season ever. This news makes me very sad.

41. Cobra says:

What is it with USA? They are cancelling all of their flagship shows!
    Now, “Burn Notice” met a logical conclusion point, but “White Collar” certainly still had places it could go.
    Meanwhile, they continue to renew stuff like “Satisfaction” and “Sirens”? “Royal Pains”? Seriously?
    The only show left worth watching on the network is “Suits.”

42. SL says:

I am still catching up, but very disappointed it’s cancelled as it was getting better. I just wished they didn’t give up on auggie and Annie being together as I loved them as a couple. In my thoughts the show was getting better and more intriguing. Maybe Netflix or some other network will pick it up. USA network used to be my favorite cable network and was good to its shows but lately not so much.

43. Heather says:

oh nooooooo!!!!

44. Mike D says:

Watched it from the beginning when it was almost a different show. Really enjoyed the changed perspective. Was hoping for at least one more season. I have no more reason to watch USA network. So long.

45. CJ says:

Had a feeling this was coming but it’s still really disappointing. It would’ve been nice to have gotten a short final season a la Burn Notice and White Collar…but whatever. It was good while it lasted.

46. Heathers says:

M3crnate- I totally agree. Not much left on USA. I read that Suits is going to delve more I to the personal lives side, and not such dark toned work related topics. I stopped watching Graceland season 2 after 3-4 episodes. It sucked.

• RUCookie says:

I too struggled with Graceland this year; tuned out in the middle and caught the end (with no problem catching up). It really lost the thrill and the cast chemistry. I did watch Satisfaction, but it definitely is not a feel good show. All I really have left on USA is Suits… and that is sad. I used to watch this channel all the time.

47. cdhaskell says:

I am sorry to read the end of Convert Affair. Good luck to the cast future role.

48. Katrina says:

Re: Covert Affairs Cancellation
    NOOOOOOOO! I love love love this show and have watched it since it’s beginning. I’m so sad. This is such a smart entertaining show. Wonderful characters, fantastically talented actors. Each season end I can’t wait for the next season to start. I think this is a wrong move for USA Network. Boo hiss.

49. amysue4772 says:

I have an idea, USA Network should stupidly cancel all its good shows. Oh wait, they already did