ESPN Anchor Stuart Scott Dead at 49 — Watch His Peers' Emotional Tributes

ESPN Stuart Scott Dead

Longtime ESPN anchor Stuart Scott died on Sunday morning following a seven-year battle with cancer. He was 49.

Scott joined ESPN in 1993, and did some of his first on-camera work as part of ESPN2’s SportsSmash segments. When Keith Olbermann moved from SportsNight to SportsCenter, Scott succeeded him in the anchor chair.

“He was like a ball of fire walking in the door,” ESPN SVP Mark Gross recalls of Scott’s arrival. “I had never met anybody like Stuart Scott.”

Scott — whose contributions also included Monday Night Countdown and NBA coverage for ABC — coined many a catchphrase during his 21-year run, including his trademark “Boo-Yah!” and “As cool as the other side of the pillow.”

At this summer’s ESPYS awards ceremony, in accepting the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance on the heels of another round of cancer surgery, Scott shared: “When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Scott is survived by his two daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15.

ESPN released a must-see remembrance video, and Scott’s longtime SportsCenter co-anchor Rich Eisen gave a heartfelt on-air tribute.

Below, ESPN’s Hannah Storm delivers the emotional news of Scott’s passing:

1. jalahyacinth says:

My heart goes out to his family, especially his children.

2. CourtTV says:

Very sad to hear this news. RIP.

3. Jenna says:

Truly sad about this news. He was a beloved fellow Tar Heel. RIP to a great man!

4. LADY_in_MD says:

This is a very sad day
    He was a great man who had a love for sports
    condolences to his family and colleagues

5. Jim says:

When I see what he’s done, with the style & class he’s shown, and through all he’s gone through, it makes me need to be a better man, husband & father. Heaven just got a lot hipper & better dressed. He changed ESPN in so many ways that will live on. Boo-Yah, Stu, Boo-Yah!

6. Tran says:

BOO-YAH FOREVER. RIP Stuart Scott :-(

7. Andrea says:

This just sucks! Condolences to his family and most especially his daughters, whom he profoundly loved. I recommend viewing the clip of Rich Eisen paying tribute to Stuart on the NFL Network. It is very touching, but it will make you sob.

8. thisismenow says:

May he RIP. My condolences to his family.

9. Robby Horine says:

49 is too damn young!

10. I’d like to find out more? I’d care to find out some additional information.

11. Lori says:

So sad to hear about his passing. What a wonderful man and excellent example for us all.

12. This is an extremely sad day to hear of such a talented sportscaster and loving father gone too soon. You will be remembered and you will be missed. Sending love and hugs to his friends and family – especially his children.

13. David4 says:

God damn cancer! :(

14. Wendy says:

Gone too soon. He was a classy man. Boo-yah, Stuart.

15. Tiffany says:

Loved and Love him

16. How He Lived says:

If how you live is how your beat cancer then Stuart Scott beat it a thousand times over. An inspiration to all, the example of strength, courage and hope, may he rest in peace. His families, especially his two very brave daughters are in my thoughts and prayers.

17. kouya says:

A very steep mountain my friend that you conquered three times, Rest and one day we’ll see you on the other side. RIP

18. Leigh says:

Growing up watching his broadcasts and seeing how he contributed to the way sports are now analyzed on ESPN will always be with me. He made watching the recaps fun. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort at this sad time.

19. Betty says:

RIP Stuart! You will always be Cool like the other side of a Pillow.

20. Brigid says:

Too young to go. What a great anchor! When I think of ESPN, he is who I think of. So very sad, I pray for his family.

21. I had just finished watching the Cardinals/Panthers playoff game on Saturday, and I saw Steve Levy signing off. I said to my friend, “I wonder how Stu is doing. I haven’t seen him on TV in awhile.” Little did I know that he’d be gone the very next morning. Stu was a game-changer at ESPN, and his courage during his three(!) bouts with cancer is amazing. My heart goes out to his family and friends. And speaking of friends, do yourself a favor and watch Rich Eisen’s tribute to Stu on NFL Network yesterday morning. Booyah, Stu. RIP.

22. ab says:

hello!,ӏ really like yiur writing very a lot!
    share we bbe in cntɑct more approximately your article onn AOL?
    I need a specialist in this house tto ѕolve my problem. Maybe that is you!
    Taking а look ahead to peer you.

23. В 1860 году молодой швейцарский часовщик Эдуард Хоэр основывает
    в швейцарском городе Сент-Имье, что в самом сердце Юрских
    гор, собственную часовую мастерскую.
    Эдуард движим страстным желанием покорить время, с помощью сложных механических инструментов исследовать
    мельчайшие частицы этой загадочной субстанции, которая испокон
    веков владеет умами людей. Спустя 152 года ТАG Heuer становится мировым лидером в производстве престижных высокоточных хронографов и
    первой швейцарской часовой компанией, выпустившей
    механические хронографы с точностью измерения до 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000
    и 5/10000 секунды. В пользу технического ноу-хау компании TAG Heuer и её места в истории швейцарского часового дела говорят 7 Женевских часовых Гран-при, присужденные за последние 10 лет.
    Этой наградой были отмечены не только
    выдающиеся шедевры в ряду предельно сложных
    механических хронографов, такие как Calibre 360 или Mikrotimer Flying
    1000, но и невероятно красивые женские модели, такие, например, как tag heuer цена в 2005
    году. Посланниками марки являются такие звезды, как Камерон Диас, Леонардо ДиКаприо и
    Мария Шарапова. Марка TAG
    Heuer является одной из немногих швейцарских часовых компаний, которые выпускают механические часы
    класса люкс с часовыми механизмами, корпусами и циферблатами
    собственного производства. Бренд TAG Heuer производит часовые механизмы Calibre 1887, Haute Horlogerie
    V4, Mikrograph 100, Мikrotimer 1000 и Mokritourbillons Grandes Complications.

24. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and
    I am inspired! Very useful info particularly thhe last part :
    ) I take care off such info a lot. I was seeking ths certain info for a very long time.
    Thanks and best of luck.

25. Victoria Barber Shop, on the East side of ‘Connor St.
    between Wellington as well as Sparks.

26. instawiz says:

The even more shares as well as likes you get, the a lot more it will certainly increase the level of
    count on.

27. We deal with anabolic steroids for stacks, cycles, human grade hormones,
    ancillaries for post cycle therapy, sexual
    improvements and fat burners supplements.

28. Excellent article. I will be facing many of these issues as
    well..

29. Hello, everything is going nicely here and
    ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s in fact good, keep up writing.