Galavant Recap: A Little Knight Music — Grade ABC's New Musical-Comedy

Galavant King Richard

ABC cued up Galavant, its musical-comedy “extravaganza” on Sunday night. Did the first two episodes of the midseason series leave you whistling a happy tune?

Exec-produced by Dan Fogelman (The Neighbors) and with music from Alan Menken and Glenn Slater (Tangled), Galavant stars Joshua Sasse (Rogue) in the title role, as a knight whose armor loses its lustre after his lady love, Madelena (Mallory Jansen), gets kidnapped by — and then agrees to wed — the wealthy King Richard (Psych‘s Timothy Omundson).

Galavant is roused from his defeatist doldrums by his squire Sid (Luke Youngblood), who introduces him to Isabella, a princess who offers her kingdom of Valencia’s priceless gem in trade for Galavant besting King Richard. (What Isabella is hiding is that her parents were not, as she claims, murdered by Richard, and that she in fact is working on behalf of the king to lure Madelena’s true love into a trap.)

Low on funds early into their quest, Galavant, Isabella and Sid stop by a jousting tournament, where Gal goes through a Rocky-like training montage in preparation to face Sir Jean Hamm (guest star John Stamos) in the finals. For good measure, Isabella plies Jean with absinthe the night before, but Galavant shows up for the tourney all cramped up from training, and what results is the lamest joust ever, leaving patrons restless, Sir Jean puking into (and out of) his helmet, and Galavant winning by a Rocky II-like hair.

Meanwhile at the castle, King Richard asks his henchman Gareth (Vinnie Jones) to help him “butch up” and thus perhaps finally get his bride into bed. Richard makes some progress with his slightly gruffer new ‘tude, to the point that he and Madelena — who’s semi-discreetly been getting jolly with the jester — join in the ballad “Maybe You’re Not the Worst Thing Ever” (embedded below).

Next week: A visit to Sid’s (Jewish) hometown reveals that he’s been lying to his folks about his career, while King Richard throws a (rather dreary) ball for his Valencian prisoners. Also, Galavant & Co. come across a band of land-locked pirates led by Downton Abbey‘s Hugh Bonneville.

1. Ron says:

I can see where this show isn’t for everyone. But I absolutely loved it! It definitely appeals to my type of humor.

• TV Gord says:

Galavant is everything that Glee should have been. It’s funny and not overbearing. It won’t become one of my top shows, but I hope it gets all of the success that Glee never deserved.

• Dave says:

I Think Its A good SHOW But it should of premiered during the winter break for ratings but other than that I think it would do good ratings wise.

• Ann says:

Glee was good in it’s first season. It started going downhill in Season 2.

• Jared says:

Umm I’m sorry but Glee is and will always be one of the most creative shows to ever grace television. If it wasn’t for the success of Glee, you wouldn’t even have a show like this on TV.

• tjchurch2001 says:

It WAS a great show… Which is why it had so far to fall, & did so surprisingly quickly. (Need a point? How about Ryan promising the end of tribute episodes, & then having 2 or 3 for the same artist or group.)

If “Glee” & “Idol” were (at this point, finally/rightfully) gone, you’d have more shows the quality of this one.

2. The only thing better than the show were the promos for other show with the same musical stylings as Galavant.

3. Sheila says:

I really liked it! The songs were fun, and everybody did a great job. Yay, Timothy Omundson!

4. wrstlgirl says:

That was actually quite entertaining and those promos. Applause ABC!!

5. Rod says:

Silly, goofy and a little bit bawdy. It was great pee your pants / milk squirting out of your nose fun unlike anything else on television.

6. Sandy Coryell says:

The film is cute but the commercials set to the same music was a little over the top.

7. Tran says:

Really don’t know why millions of people like Galavant. In my opinion, it’s a musical flop. Thumbs up or thumbs down on it?

8. celticcol says:

bad bad bad. the dialogue and writing is terrible. the songs are all one key and have horrible lyrics. the story is virtually non-existant. Really? Couldn’t they hire better writers? Save your money and go see spamalot or something monty python did. Seriously, if you like medieval stuff, fantasy, etc. this is a horrible disappointment.

• Ann says:

Save our money? Did you even watch or are you confusing this show, which is free on ABC, with a movie that you paid to watch?

• Maryann says:

I detested Monty Python and Spamalot but loved this show! Obviously, tastes differ. I think the people who compared it to Princess Bride and Men in Tights were closer to right.

• Jack says:

“save your money”? Someone is charging you to watch ABC? Because most people get it for free…

• Lana says:

I totally agree!! I love musicals so I was hoping I would love this but I ended erasing 15 minutes before the end of the two episodes and I canceled my DVR. I loved Timothy’s King Richard but the rest was not good.

9. Whimsical says:

Love the songs. Wish they were in a better show.

• TV Gord says:

Um, you like the songs but not the show? What better show would you see them on, All In The Family?

• Anthony says:

A person can enjoy the songs and not be impressed by the script surrounding the songs.

• Whimsical says:

Thank you for getting it. I’d give the songs an A, but the cliche ridden, lame script surrounding them a D-.

• Ann says:

I think the cliches and the slapstick goofiness and the lameness of the script is what makes it endearing. It’s a throwback to old Mel Brooks comedies, or comedies like Princess Bride which were goofy and sometimes lame as well, but we still love those things.

10. Wazzer says:

My daughter and I loved it!! We enjoyed the music, the humor…it’s just what TV needs right now. We will tune in weekly!

11. Keeks says:

This show is hilarious. So much better than I expected it to be!

12. c-mo says:

Loved it!!! I laughed through the whole thing and thought the song lyrics were incredibly witty and quite creative in their irreverence. While I thought the promos for the other shows sung to the Galavant theme was fabulous the first couple of times each promo was shown, it got old by the fourth/fifth time.

13. Jamey says:

Very entertaining! Loved the promos! Will be looking forward to more episodes!

14. Karen MT says:

It had me cracking up within the first five minutes. I expected cheesiness, and that’s what I got. It’s like a cross between Monty Python and Men in Tights. My only issue was they used the same tune for every song in the first episode/half hour, but at least I didn’t hear it again in the second episode.

15. vane says:

I liked it bt made me miss once upon a time 😒

16. Alice says:

Kinda disappointed they didn’t use the raunchier version of the first song. Did it not make it past the censors?

• I noticed that they altered the “we’re gonna do it!” scene between Richard and Madalena. One of the original trailers actually had him go “By doing it, I mean sex.”, but that line was changed. I guess ABC didn’t want them saying it that direct?

17. DarkDefender says:

This was so bad, it was good. Not sure about the song lyrics.. But I’ll watch again.

18. Lyle says:

I enjoy a good musical. This however is NOT what I would call a good musical. In my book, epic fail!!

19. tjchurch2001 says:

Decent, but I kept waiting for credits that claimed the script-writer was the lyricist; Felt more like an opera, with the plot sometimes changing just so a song could be placed, or vice-versa.

20. DramaMomma says:

Please, please, please tell me that Jon Hamm is going to pop up as some point playing Sir Jean Stamos!

21. Kevin davies says:

Echoes of Black Adder, Monty Python with joust a little Disney

Tired of “True Loves Kiss” fixes all. Lets hope for a clever and original ending without going into the woods

My wife gets a kick out of male characters that are over the top and full of themselves She was cracking up, she sees humor in things she can relate to, so I am worried that this says something about me

22. Emily Morgan says:

I enjoyed it all. It was funny, entertaining and different. I’ll watch it every time.

23. I loved it! The tunes are going to be stuck in my head big time. My friend and I were quoting back and forth during both episodes (I GOT GRAVY ON MY TUMMY FLOWERS). It reminded me of Dr. Horrible. A++, will absolutely tune in next week.

24. Et al says:

I enjoyed that a lot! Looking forward to the other 6 episodes.

25. In a word: BRILLIANT! Top knotch writing, acting and the songs were HILARIOUS! In all ways Monty-Python worthy! And I also LOVED the promos for other shows that carried over the Galavant musical theme. ABC deserves MAJOR KUDOS for actually presenting some intelligent programming to the viewing public. BRAVO!

26. Tyler says:

Boring.

27. Carla Krae says:

Exactly what I need this month. Been looking forward to Galavant and was not disappointed. My other half laughed, too, and he doesn’t like musicals.

28. Stanislava says:

I hate musicals,but I saw the preview for the show a month ago and I just loved it!And what do you know,last night It was even better than I expected!

29. ? says:

By all rights this should have been terrible, but instead it was awesome.

“How did you get on the horse?”
    “I slept on the horse.”

30. Brigid says:

I thought it was great! Very funny and enjoyable cast. I’ll be tuning in each week!

31. Joseph says:

The cynic in me says the show only exists to help Alan Menken get another shot at an Emmy award and join the exclusive club of people who have won all four awards (Grammy, Oscar, Tony, and Emmy).

32. Tony says:

What is that annoying jibe, it’s like a thorn in the side! You can run but, you can’t hide, It’s Gallllaaaavvvvannnt!

33. Robby Horine says:

Galavant shows that “Yo Mama” jokes were old in Medieval times.

And typical of a woman. Throwing away love for money. Story of my life.

34. murley says:

I had been looking forward to this show and it did not disappoint. It had some truly hysterical throw away lines and sight gags. My husband and I were cracking up. He doesn’t like musicals and I love them and we both thought it was great. The princess bride/Monty Python/Mel brooks comparisons are apt. I plan on saving it on the Dvr because it feels like an instant classic that I will want to rewatch.

35. lame says:

Have to agree with the person who said “it was so bad it was good”. It was actually soooo bad it was good. lol

36. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Gave the show an A! At first I wasn’t sure if this sh*t was going to be that funny but it cracked me up!…. It’s Game Of Thrones on some F’d up steroids. Will watch it again this Sunday along w/ Resurrection!

37. ABC says:

Joy from beginning to end. They even used the melody from the title song on a host of commercials, including the local weather here in LA. Best new show of 2015 (all 5 days of it)!

38. Day says:

This was excellent! It reminded me of “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” (which is my favorite Mel Brooks.)

39. Kir2 says:

I wanted to like it, I really did.. Please, oh pretty please, stop using the same song for every single commercial related to the network.

40. Bella says:

It was horrible. Stupid. Poorly acted. The only thing that was halfway decent was the music.

41. RD says:

That was just bad. Unfunny and very bad.

42. Craig Hansen says:

Yawn.

It’s a family-hour show full of sex jokes… and not even subtle ones.

If it had been a bit more Princess Bride and a bit less Playboy Channel, I might have been on board. But… no.

43. jax says:

Fun show, BUT not a good fit for Sunday at 8pm viewers who watch Once Upon a Time with their family. Luckily, we missed the show Sunday and I caught the encore last night. Won’t be watching Galavant with my 10 year old any time soon – once sex joke after another! I am irked because ABC has advertised this constantly during Once and made it seem family friendly. It is not foreigner kids or tweens.

44. Keys says:

I know Monty Python, I loved Monty Python, Galavant is no Month Python. Horrible.

45. Rose says:

This show is WONDERFUL!!! It doesn’t take itself seriously which I think is great. The comedy styling balances pretty evenly back and forth between Obvious and Subtle. As it was advertised to be, it really does feel like a cross between Robin Hood Men In Tights and The Princess Bride, and if you don’t like those movies then you have no business watching comedies. It is just pure fun. Not everything on TV needs to be groundbreaking or genius for heaven sakes. Can’t things just be fun anymore? People need to lighten up and get a sense of humor, and WATCH THIS SHOW! You will be glad you gave yourself a break from all the other crap you watch. I know this is only a 4 week thing, but I truly wish it would continue. Or at least, maybe a 4 week event once a year every year?? Make it happen Powers That Be!