Celebrity Apprentice Season Premiere Recap: Pie of the Storm

Celebrity Apprentice returned for Round 7 on Sunday, bringing with it 16 new celebs, a couple new feuds and those two magical words we’ve all waited eight long months to hear: “Yah fiyahd!”

Donald Trump‘s first challenge for his minions contestants was to run pop-up bakeries for Pie Face — and as much as we all love a good dessert, let’s just skip to what we all came here to discuss: the fights.

Let’s begin with the guys (aka Team Vortex), who cooked up a surprising amount of drama — in addition to countless batches of gross/burnt pies. Seriously, who’d have expected Kevin Jonas, the second-least confrontational of all the Jonas Brothers, to ignite the first real feud of the new season? He had a lot to say about Geraldo Rivera’s lack of management skills (“that’s not how you motivate”), but wisely strayed from any cheap shots about the legendary newsman’s famed mustache. Also, I lost count of the number of times Rivera likened this week’s challenge to his experience covering war-torn nations worldwide.

Surprisingly, the ladies of Team Infinity — whose name was Kenya Moore’s idea, as I’m sure she’ll remind us all damn season — got along considerably well; even Moore and fellow Real Housewives star Brandi Glanville kept their sniping to a minimum. The only real pre-boardroom conflict came during confessionals, mostly Moore taking shots at former Cosby kid — and current project manager — Keshia Knight Pulliam. (Wait, a reality show where people say how they really feel behind each other’s back? Say it ain’t so.)

Things took a nasty turn, as they tend to, in the boardroom — especially when the women were asked who was responsible for their team’s epic loss. Vivica A. Fox broke down in tears as Moore pointed her evil little finger at Pulliam, who struggled to defend herself.

Ultimately, though, her defense wasn’t strong enough; Pulliam was the first to receive a pink slip this season.

Stray observations/questions from the premiere:

* How awkward was that whole conversation about why Keshia Knight Pulliam didn’t call Bill Cosby for a donation? (“I know he has deep pockets.” Um…)

* Kate Gosselin wasn’t nearly as outrageous as I — and I presume the producers — hoped she would be. Not only was she helpful, but she appeared extremely likable, avoiding any direct conflict. Has she turned over a new leaf, or is this just part of her strategy? Either way, I’m liking Kate 2.0.

* Does Ian Zeiring know that the Sharknado movies are just… movies? He seems pretty convinced of his shark-slayer status.

* Can we discuss this shot of Brandi Glanville, Kenya Moore and Andy Cohen? How much NBC/Bravo/Universal synergy can one Celebrity Apprentice episode handle?

* How much (more) do you love Gilbert Gottfried now?

OK, your turn to weigh in: Was Trump right to fire Pulliam first? Which celeb(s) are you rooting for this season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Tran says:

It’s been a long time coming for the return of Celebrity Apprentice. Didn’t expect to see Gilbert Gottfried in all of his glory.

2. chris says:

Wow clling bill cosby she got canned for not calling him trump has hit a new low thus will be talked about and not a good way!!!

3. RE: Bill Cosby, this season was filmed earlu 2014..evem before Joan Rivers died.

4. tjchurch2001 says:

No need for Cosby at all, even though that’s the only way anyone (even other celebs) know or care who she is…

…But why belittle the 7-grand Keshia raised?! It was still that much more than Kate, who has never earned money a day in her life (getting it all, same as Lorenzo’s exes, from John).

• DYS says:

Trying to rationalize why someone is kept over someone else is pointless because Trump always contradicts himself with his reasons and clearly tries to keep the potential drama causers or good “characters” for as long as possuble, for obvious reasons.

• I hope Ian Ziering or Shaun Johnson win !! Cannot stand aging ego maniac Geraldo! Hope he gets FIRED SOON.

5. Christine says:

Kate Gosselin’s overuse of “thank you” and “I really appreciate”, etc. was particularly annoying. She was trying WAY too hard to be polite, and it seemed really obvious she was trying too hard. Seemed very fake to me. And boring. That’s not why people tune in to this show.

• Terry D. says:

I agree! It was very fake!

• Jon says:

100% agree. Andy saying Kate was “extremely likable” really surprised me, since I thought she was phony, condescending and spoke to everyone as though they were her kids. NO WAY is she keeping this front up for many more episodes.

On another note, who knew Kevin Jonas was such a shade queen? He spent the entire episode making snippy comments about Geraldo and trading smirks with Trump. He was WAY more entertaining than I was expecting.

6. Bettie says:

I feel Kate should have gotten fired first since she didn’t raise any money at all as that is the reason that Fernando Lamas would have gotten fired tonight he raised the least amount on the men’s team if they would have not won. And I thought it was wrong to change these rules when it came to Keith Pulliam.

7. Figg says:

I think the Kate plus 8 chic should have been fired. She brought in No money . The Donald made the Wrong call.

8. Babybop says:

Kate should have been fired. She didn’t raise any money! And something about her just seems fake to me.

9. Marti lynn says:

I just felt bored. Didn’t ever take off. Sort of like a lead balloon.
    The only one with energy was Godfrey. Everyone else seemed tired.

• Marti lynn says:

Gottfried . Sorry, autocorrect changed it

• tjchurch2001 says:

When your only claims to fame are decade-old John Ritter movies & voicing a character the company basically killed on-screen, you better have energy, as you haven’t used it in a LONG time.

First ones to be fired? Brandi, Kate, & Kenya… Not “celebrities”, as they’re known on-camera & off by their real names & looks.

10. DesaRe says:

The entire time I listened to Piers Morgan and Donald Trump go on and on about how Keshia should have called Bill Cosby, I wondered how they feel now with the recent allegations against Mr. Cosby.

11. What the heck did Lorenzo Lamas do to himself? He’s almost completely unrecognizable!

12. ovponce says:

They missed the purpose big time with pulling the Cosby kid. The main purpose of the show
    is to raise big money for charity. Those two broke woman the cosby kid brought in, are there for
    a pay check and dont have a dime or knows anyone with a dime to give!!!! Trump missed the whole point of the show….

• tjchurch2001 says:

She didn’t bring them in; That was Trump’s decision. If it were hers, I’m sure she would also have never brought in Kate or a “real housewife”, as (unlike her) they are not there due to being talented in any way, let alone liked at all by potential customers.

13. David Ausiello says:

What’s the over/under on the number of times Kate cries this season? I’m thinking at least once per episode. So far, so good. Now whether the tears are real or not, that’s another question.

14. Matt Barnes says:

I’m not sure we were watching the same show. Kate was manipulative and controlling with her stupid taco comments and playing along with whatever side was going to make her seem “nice” but also save her butt. If you missed it, I fear she manipulated you as well.

15. Lisa says:

This show had a lot of bad plastic surgery. Kate looked terrible. Civics couldn’t move her neck or must of her face. Lenexa looked completely different. Kesha was the only one who looked like her natural self on the women’s team. Does my TV just have a bad picture?

• Caties says:

Definitely a lot of plastic surgery going on with the women – lots of overly smooth skin, with inflated lips and breasts.

16. Jack says:

Cant they get someone other than Trump to do this show? I would MAYBE consider tuning in if they would just remove him from the whole thing…

17. Heathers says:

Who is tjchurch talking about, being in John Ritter movies? I don’t know who some of the women are. I do not, nor will I ever watch a housewives show, so no idea of who those women are or their background. I agreed with Kate, they should call it a taco pie. She was not being manipulative. She does earn her own money. Someone below said she only got money from Jon. That is not true. She writes books and does public speaking engagements, while he waits tables at a diner.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Gilbert was a key part of the “Problem Child” films! (If not for his character, the child stays in the orphanage, & the movie is sitcom-length.) Unfortunately, his brief time on the show proves he is a problem child who never grew or matured.

18. tangie tange says:

1st of all anybody could have called bill c. ,and 2nd kate should have been exited, no money at all only playing on donalds sympathy and peirce went after only the black people and was mad that heraldo said terrel was third for least money

19. tangie tange says:

Ms america or ms usa you could have called cosby yourself and anybody else. kate should have been fired she did nada

20. davisjonk@hotmail.com says:

Don’t really care. Don’t watch the show

21. HAP says:

Anyone who watches this Trump show only encourages the dirt bag.

22. I am totally rooting for either Shaun Johnson, Ian Ziering, or Nick Jonas. Geraldo is an aging egomaniac who is a horrible team player. He is rude and inconsiderate of everyone on his team.

23. wayne says:

Gilbert Gottfried made it entertaining, Cant believe Trump fired Kevin Jonas and not Geraldo Rivera whom was a distraction to the whole team.(neat sweet). I think trump may have a scheduled appearance on Geraldos show coming up.

• tjchurch2001 says:

1] I don’t recall any time (outside of animated movies) Gilbert has ever made anything entertaining.

2] I didn’t see the episode where the Jonas Brother was fired (was watching with talent be something other than themselves), but from Episode 1, it was clear all he would do was critique any Project Manager that wasn’t him.

3] Geraldo’s shows have often included his name because he is not a distraction; You simply choose to pay attention or not. Before this week, he could have been dead (giving up troop locations can make that happen), & I wouldn’t have known.

24. tangie tange says:

i dont know why people are saying kat.e wad blindslided, no ,kate was trying to play trump card (no pont intended).kate should have been ousted day 1,she raised no money,terrel o. was fired for same reason,bye girl.