Is the Undercover Boss Being Played? Are You Missing Trophy Wife Anew? Is Angela Kinsey Ab Fab? And More Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The Comeback, The Mentalist, The Librarians, Major Crimes, Benched, New Year’s Eve specials and more!

1 | In The Comeback‘s Emmy-themed finale, why were there only five (versus the standard six) nominees in Valerie’s category? And at what point in finale did you start your weeping? (Our tears began when Valerie checked her phone in the lobby.) Also, wasn’t Val’s gown a definite “10 Best”?

2 | What’s your theory on “whatever” it is The Librarians’ Jenkins and Dulaque once used to be? Lovers, or…?

3 | On The Mentalist, would the FBI really have elected to expend valuable resources to poke around a solved — and politically volatile — murder case, purely based on Jane’s (admittedly reliable) “instincts”?

CSI4 | After a string of slight TV-movies and myriad reality shows with wife Tori, did Dean McDermott impress you with his CSI turn as a se‎x offender/murder suspect?

5 | Let’s be cynical for a moment: At this point, at least some Undercover Boss underlings have to be wise to the jig and thus are sure to spill a sob story to the camera crew-followed “trainee,” right?

6 | Did that “I love you” between Mike & Molly’s Carl and Victoria make you a bit misty-eyed? #Carltoria

7 | On Major Crimes, was the murderer’s confession/rationale for killing his special needs child A) ghoulish, B) loathsome, C) reprehensibly selfish or D) All of the above?

8 | Why did USA Network burn off It Takes a Choir — based on the inspiring, emotional BBC series The Choir — during a random weekday marathon?

9 | Did the last Selfie ever (streaming on Hulu) bring on the feels with that ending montage? And are you kind of hating yourself for rooting for Freddy and Eliza after their sweet final scene?20Qs-GroundFloor

10 | We know Ground Floor is a sitcom, but wouldn’t Harvard’s creepy behavior warrant a talking-to from HR? And have they been overdressing Jenny this season, thus diminishing the upstairs/downstairs conceit? Also: Odd/disappointing that they didn’t give Briga Heelan a wink-wink scene with Undateable costar Brent “Baby Bird” Morin?

11 | Did seeing young Albert Tsai crack wise on Benched make you miss Trophy Wife all over again? And how funny was it to hear Community’s gentle Shirley (that is, guest star Yvette Nicole Brown) let loose with some cable-TV cusses, as a records room clerk?

12 | Were Today hosts Al Roker and Hoda Kotb — who are normally based out of New York — serious when complaining about the “cold” while narrating California’s Tournament of Roses Parade?

20Qs-Seacrest13 | Possibly the strangest out-of-context closed captioning from ABC’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve special? Also, following her performance in frigid NYC, will there ever be an occasion when Taylor Swift doesn’t bare her midriff? And is there something admittedly sweet about how Jenny McCarthy met future husband Donnie Wahlberg during a previous telecast?

14 | As wordplay goes, does that Internet service provider’s “half-fast” ad campaign make you giggle just a bit every time?

15 | Whoa, can we talk BadJudge_Kinseyabout Angela Kinsey’s abs?‎ No wonder her Bad Judge divorcee had a 24-year-old bartender chasing after her!

16 | Were we asleep (or had stopped watching) when A to Z tweaked Katey Sagal’s “They will date for….” intro to reflect the show’s abbreviated run?

17 | No one is disputing Todd Blackledge’s claim that Alabama punter JK Scott is a “tall drink of water,” but was ESPN’s coverage of the Sugar Bowl really the appropriate venue for the commentator to declare his crush on the athlete?

1. torimelching says:

10. Yes, I was a little upset that they didn’t have a sceen together. Hopefully ‘Baby Bird’ will be back.

2. #7 – Definitely all of the above.

#13 – There is nothing sweet about Jenny McCarthy.

3. ... says:

1. I started crying when Val learned what was in the text message. And then it got worse when she made it to Mickey. As dark, and darkly funny, as this season was, it found an emotional side that season one didn’t have. Or at least not to this extent.
    11. I still think The Neighbors got the shaft worse than Trophy Wife did.

4. S. says:

#02-My thinking is brothers or past best friends. Can’t wait to find out which, I’m really loving this show.

5. Kristina says:

16) They change the time that Andrew and Zelda will date for in every episode. Since the beginning. So, yeah, you guys were asleep. ;)

• wgsecretary says:

And I believe that the original run was only set for 13 episodes. So, while it was cancelled, we still get to see the whole first season.

• Kait says:

Pretty sure it went from 8 months and some odd days and hours to the change in this newest episode to 5 months and odd extra time. Unless it was counting down days and hours it’s always been 8 months until now. Or they went back and edited them all now to 5 months.

6. m3rcnate says:

3) To be fair, Jane has a successful case rate of like 99% or maybe even 100% from what we have seen/heard…so why would they doubt him?

5) Yeah its been that way for a long time…but i dont watch the show ever since it became about D-list companies (some bikini bar company? psh please)

10) Yeah, Ground Floor hasn’t been as good this season IMO. I think a big part of it has to do with them shifting the focus from Jenny & Brody’s chemistry/romance/flirting to Brody and Mansfield. There just isn’t that sexy flirty spark that there was in the first season…which is disappointing. Just because they are dating doesn’t mean you take the focus off of them. As for how she dresses, yeah I have to agree. She is supposedly this basically broke chick, yet she’s wearing what i’d expect the real actress to wear, expensive fashionable clothes…dont get me wrong in the first season she wore nice dresses and heels but she looked natural, not like she had a stylist.

15) Okay so I have had a crush on Angela Kinsey ever since she started appearing on the Late Late Show, but wow if you check out her twitter there are some pics…wow shes in her 40’s?! Bangin cut body of a 24 year old athlete….wow smokin hot and a gorgeous face too. (And adorable personality).

7. Viv says:

2. I will go with brothers for the moment. John Larroquette is just great. I have so much fun watching this series!

8. Kay says:

2 Thank goodness for DVR. Must have missed those hints
    3 Loved Mentalist with CBI but no way FBI would let him insult powers that be.
    4 He was almost as believable as a host i
    on Food Network.
    5 Saw that coming after episode 5
    7 Definitely D.
    12 When in Rome
    17 The statement would have been just as inappropriate if made by female commentator.

9. Kate says:

2. My main theory is that they are brothers, maybe not in actual blood and were just raised together or something. I am rolling around the idea, entirely because DuLac’s henchwoman’s name is Lamia, is that they are either a) DuLac is either Zeus or Hades and Jenkins is Poseidon. The Greek gods idea being totally up this show’s alley (or they are Odin and, well, whoever if the show maybe wants to do the Norse interpretation of things). Or b) Given that DuLac was on some sort of accord with the Fae representative, they are members of a Fae type group of maybe tricksters.

• S. says:

Not Odin. Santa was Odin in the Christmas episode.

• E says:

The fairy’s representative recognized Dulac as “the son of Ban.”

Ban is almost certainly King Ban, father of Lancelot du Lac, who was raised by a fairy (the Lady of the Lake).

Jenkins — well, my first thought was Merlin. But perhaps the connection is less direct. “Jenkins” is an old Cornish name which translates into English as “Little John” — another figure of legend.

The Robin Hood mythos says Little John was a towering figure. John Larroquette is 6’4″, which would certainly qualify in Robin’s day.

10. HAP says:

#11- Totally miss Trophy Wife. However, I have to wonder if Michaela Watkins would have been able to survive acting on Trophy Wife and writing and producing Benched.

11. c-mo says:

11. I haven’t been able to watch “Benched” yet but just seeing the picture of Albert Tsai made me miss “Trophy Wife”…thanks for ruining my lovely Ovation marathon of the BBC’s P&P. :(

12. Tom says:

~
    People rooted for Freddy and Eliza?
    ~
    ~
    Apparently not in this world. I don’t know what you mean by overdressing, course I’m not one to notice fashion. And I WONDERED why the dude looked so familiar! Duh! Yeah that woulda been awesome.
    ~
    ~
    That sounds like must see TV to me, sorry I’ve missed it. Thank the FSM for on demand
    ~
    ~
    I sadly don’t recall where it was at on the previous episode so I can not comment, will be interesting to see how they end things.

13. #4; People forget he was actually a pretty decent actor before he got into Tori’s Spell(ing) — See what I did there?

14. Guest says:

11. The only characters worth missing on The Trophy Wife were Diane and her two kids, they were the funny ones, sorry but Albert Tsai character was annoying as F.

15. Jenna says:

Thanks for the update and all that you do..especially the Forever updates. Still curious about where Matthew Goode is headed in 2015…based on the recent NY Times article..it kind of sounds that he’s headed for Downton over The Good Wife..bummer..it would be a loss. can’t he do both?

16. Abby says:

If Katherine Webb can become famous simply for having a pretty face, it’s only fair that men be objectified in football, too. That said, I’m in full support of networks hiring broadcasters from this century who just talk sports and leave the superficial stuff to magazines!

I’m totally cynical, so re: Undercover Boss. Those sob stories are sussed out by HR or franchise managers, and played up for entertainment by producers. I half believe that some of the employees are faking it to help give their employers good publicity, but that the bosses are totally in on it, too.

I know I should feel absolutely nothing for either Dean OR Tori, but I straight up pity them both. Their relationship started with cheating, and the facts are that cheaters never really change. Then its all compounded by the fact they have almost NO career prospects outside their reality TV contracts, and they’re stuck in a nightmare that literally no one is interested in hearing about. Dean is stuck playing TV versions of his public bad guy self, and Tori could only get an acting job if her father was still living. I feel nothing but pity but wish them both luck.

17. Tyler says:

Albert Tsai sucks the air out of every comedy, just like Sean Hayes.

18. prish says:

Yes! Trophy Wife! Trophy Wife! Trophy Wife! Bring it back, suits.

19. grazelled says:

10. Baby Bird…miss you too.
    11. Miss Trophy Wife and Enlisted…gone too soon.
    12. Not exactly sure how it was in Pasadena overnight on NY’s Eve but I live about an 70 miles east of that city in the Yucaipa foothills and we got up to 39 for the high on 12/31-1/1. There’s still snow on areas of lawns, roofs, fences, etc. Today we had a heat wave at 44 for a high. On NY’s Rocking Eve they said there was more snow in parts of So. Cal than in New York.

20. KevyB says:

When I saw Albert Tsai I actually yelled, “Yay!” Someone sign this boy up as a regular STAT! Doesn’t Lily need an older brother on Modern Family???

21. amicam says:

#7 ALL OF THE ABOVE, omg that guy deserved having Julio sicced on him just as much as the horrible cousin/father from 3×01.

22. sanchopanza says:

#5 – It has to be set up. First, if they were counting on fooling people with those disguises they’re fooling themselves. All of them look awful, and lots of them look creepy. No one ever comments on the ridiculous idea that a weird-looking dude like that would be in any kind of work contest and didn’t spruce himself up. It’s bizarre that they always get paired up with employees that have outgoing personalities and engage in personal conversations with strangers – especially strangers who look creepy. And of course they want us to believe that these people never watched Undercover Boss, after how long has this show been on the air? Puh-leeze.

23. Craig Paananen says:

I know that Bad Judge was a little corny, but what’s the matter with a little humor instead of all the killing on tv. No one can get interested in a show anymore because they get cancelled before they get a chance!

• Nik says:

True. Bad Judge was funny and I liked Selfie too but the networks are bound and determined to run themselves into the ground by putting on schlock reality TV because it’s cheap to make. As for the violent shows? Those play too but watch for those to get KO’ed when the single cells running the networks go for cheaper and cheaper (and trashier) programming. No wonder the cablers like USA, TNT, AMC and all the others are booming because they’re actually putting on some good series, not crap fests like the major 4 networks are.

24. gts says:

16. I have stopped watching, but I think open A to Z each episode they say how much additional time they will date for. So, the first episode it was like 8 months, and then in a couple episodes in was like 7 months because they had already dated for a month.

25. #7 All of the above for sure! Major Crimes killed with that one! :)

26. cyclone says:

16. About the A to Z tweaking the intro…I thought the same thing but as I still have all the episodes still saved to my DVR (I really believed in this show) I went back and checked, the intro changed every week. Each week a Week and some change was shaved off to reflect the passing time.

27. Ange says:

The A to Z intro was changed immediately after the announcement that it would be cancelled. I noticed.

28. Becky says:

Can’t wait for regular schedule to come back. This list of shows is terrible. Who watches any of this cr*p?

29. Jan says:

#8 — Excellent question! I happened upon the “marathon” just by accident. I love the BBC series and was happy when I heard Gareth was coming to the US. There ARE people out here who enjoy such upbeat entertainment, USA network.

30. dman6015 says:

5. I cannot believe that anyone, in any workplace, would not suspect Undercover Boss when some dude shows up obviously wearing a wig and fake beard/mustache, WITH A CAMERA CREW. Of course they’re being played. I’m also beginning to suspect that the show’s producers are pre-screening the employees to get good sob stories and the one guy who should be fired.