Lauren Graham Remembers Gilmore Dad Edward Herrmann: 'He Lit Up Any Room He Entered'

Edward Herrmann Death

Lauren Graham is the latest Gilmore Girls star to pay tribute to late actor Edward Herrmann, who died Wednesday of brain cancer.

Graham, who played Herrmann’s daughter Lorelai on the beloved dramedy, shared the following statement with TVLine:

Ed Herrmann’s combination of pure charisma plus his distinctive voice lit up any room he entered. He had a gentlemanly manner, a wicked sense of humor, and a sharp wit. He was well-read, interesting, and just plain fun to be around. He had deep respect and love for the craft of acting and led by example. You wanted to be better prepared, or just plain better, because he always was. He brought such humor and humanity to all his work, but I know the character of Richard Gilmore had a special place in his heart. He loved our show and was touched by the enthusiasm of its fans.

1. edlowthegreat says:

So sad Indeed.

Also she played his only daughter. Not his eldest daughter

2. Laurie says:

All these statements are showing us how much he was loved. Very sweet and heartfelt words from Lauren Graham.

3. ChrisGa says:

I shed a tear hearing this new; what a wonderful actor EH was. There are very few shows no longer on the air that I miss more than Gilmore Girls.

4. Sandy says:

So very sad! Truly lost another wonderful actor. I still watch the Gilmore Girls and he was marvelous. RIP

5. RIP Edward Herrmann, I wish that ABC Family would show a marathon of the Gilmore Girls feature the best episode of Edward Herrmann.

6. karen says:

Such a sad loss an ultimate gentleman outstanding actor he will b e nissed

7. Allyson says:

He will always be Richard Gilmore to me! He will be missed! May he rest in peace.

8. Cassie says:

I am very deeply saddened tonight to learn of the sudden passing of beloved actor Edward Hermann, grandfather to Rory Gilmore on Gilmore Girls. I cannot begin to describe the impact that this show has had on my life. Edward taught us so many amazing lessons via this show and left a lasting imprint on so many youth of my generation. I still watch this show on a weekly basis, as there is so much to learn from this show, it is important to constantly remember all that this show has to teach us.

I truly believe that Edward Hermann left a legacy upon this world throughout his career as a talented actor. Edward will be deeply missed by all who knew him, both intimately and through his many acting roles.

I would like to send out my heartfelt sympathies to Edward’s family and close friends and to tell you that we are all sharing in your grief. May you find comfort and solace in this difficult time.

• Sherry says:

I graduated from high school with Ed and he was always in our school plays and our Class President. Well liked, always funny and a classy guy. The class of 1961 at Grosse Pointe High School will deeply miss him.

9. Amy Lockman says:

How sad!!!!enjoyed watching the Gilmore show so much,still miss it!!!

10. Becky B says:

Gilmore Girls is the BEST show in the entire world in my opinion. Richard Gilmore’s acting in Gilmore Girls cannot be replaced, now especially we’ll never get to hear those three last little words from Amy Sherman Palladino

11. ScorpionGlow says:

This truly saddens me.

12. Rebecca says:

Still one of my favorite shows. How sad. Really did enjoy him.

13. Lyn says:

I keep remembering his zany turn in the film Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. He was a true actor’s actor. RIP

14. Sandra says:

Loved him, as I did all of the actors who played characters on that show, which was brilliant.

15. Doug Henning says:

If they ever do another FDR show, they’ll need a new voice or copy his!!!!

16. Manny says:

See you on Netflix…GG is the greatest show. Thanks for the good times~

17. My heart is broken…..Along with Frasier, this show was brilliantly witty and fun and Richard Gilmore was a fabulous role model for us all. He and Kelly Bishop had a marvelous chemistry and I loved the Friday night dinner scenes the best of all. They were hysterical. I am so saddened and feel a personal loss. I think all Gilmore Girls fans feel a personal loss. It was just that kind of show….I have to go and cry now. Rest in peace, Mr. Hermannn. You will be sorely missed.

18. Mary Dallas says:

I’m deeply saddened by this awful news. I loved his portrayal of Richard Gilmore. The man was a genius. What breaks my heart even more is that, if Amy decided to have a Gilmore Girls reunion, it just wouldn’t be the same without him. =,(

19. Nancy Johnson says:

Well said, Lauren. What a great loss for his family, friends, and fans. I’ll never forget him dancing with Kelly to “Mary Me Bill” at their second wedding.

20. Dot Westgarth says:

I was sad when I read that Edward Herrmann had died. I have a few DVD’s of films that he was in. I recently watched Paper Chase he was good in everything I watched him in. My condolences to his family.

21. Vicki M says:

Mr. Hermann was a wonderful actor. He will always be Richard Gilmore. What a great time for a Gilmore Girls reunion movie remembering this wonderful man and the character he portrayed so well.

22. Jeanne Goodman says:

So sad to hear of Edward Herrmann’s death. I always watched The Gilmore Girls with my youngest daughter, who is the same age as the character Rory. I just recently began rewatching the show from the very beginning on NETFLIX. Edward Hermmann added so much to the series, bringing such depth to the part.

23. Jill Sidock says:

I was so sadden at the loss of Edward Herrmann. When i saw he pic on a fb post of a friend, who also loves Gilmore girls, i said WAIT to my husband who was the one viewing fb. I made he go back to the pic , i said too him ” oh my gosh, did he die”. I couldn’t believe it. Gilmore Girls come into my life at a time of great loss in my life, with the passing of my precious dad. It made me fell better and to this day i watch ABC family everyday that Gilmore Girls runs…EVERYDAY….SO the loss of Edward was devastating too me. Im praying for his family and his acting family as well and may all the fans be comforted with his memories. RIP

24. Hello, all is going fine here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing data, that’s genuinely fine, keep up writing.

25. Collette Le Paven says:

I’ve started watching this Show on Netflix, and I must say I was Stunned 1st of all to discover this sad news, and I wanted to know his name and so forth because of just like they say above because he is a well spoken, respectful and genuine Gentleman on the SHOW and it shows
    that he is really in his element, it is Who he is off screen also.

Class is Class; This Quality is Genuine in your Genes.

I really like this Man, and keep thinking present tense because I am on Season 3 and
    want to keep that in my thoughts