Gilmore Girls Matriarch Kelly Bishop 'Sad, Stunned' By Death of TV Hubby Edward Herrmann

unnamed-5

The sudden death of beloved Gilmore Girls patriarch Edward Herrmann on Wednesday has left his former TV family in mourning.

Kelly Bishop, who played the actor’s Gilmore wife Emily during the show’s seven-year run, shared the following remembrance with TVLine:

We, the Gilmore Girls family, are so terribly sad and somewhat stunned. We only learned about his illness a week or so ago. I got a call from [Edward’s wife] Star Monday night asking if I wanted to come to the hospital to say good-bye. I went yesterday and was able to give Ed love from Lauren [Graham], Alexis [Bledel] and Amy [Sherman-Palladino]… I have so many fond memories of our time together on Gilmore Girls and since, mainly via email. I think everyone who knew or worked with Ed found him to be absolutely delightful… Everything looks a little dim, as if the lights went down.

1. Wenders says:

I love that his wife called her so she could come say goodbye and give some love from the cast. RIP, Mr. Herrmann.

2. Eric7740 says:

Awh, that is so incredibly sweet, it makes me sad. Love the Gilmores!!!

3. SANDY says:

He was a wonderful actor, I loved watching him on Gilmore Girls and other movies I have seen him in.R.I.P.Edward.

4. jim says:

Very sad, I have seen him in many shows and always enjoyed him. My condolences to his family and the cast of Gilmore Girls and all his friends.

5. Babygate says:

I was just watching him on Grey’s Anatomy and thinking about how funny he was. This is so sad…

6. Kris says:

Terrific actor. I remember him from so many shows. RIP

7. fineparent says:

Completely believed him in every character he played, but loved him the most as Richard Gilmore. He was a gift rarely seen today in character actors. Peace be with his family.

8. David4 says:

OH NO! Another beloved TV star is gone! He did wonderful work on Gilmore Girls and narrating History Channel shows.

9. jalahyacinth says:

“Everything looks a little dim, as if the lights went down.” Amen, Kelly, Amen.

10. tazzy says:

So very sad to hear of his passing. Great actor. Great person.

11. Traci says:

What a sad but fitting sentiment at the end of her statement. Kelly Bishop, like her alter ego, Emily Gilmore, has class.

12. Patrick says:

RIP. He was one of those fantastic supporting characters who will always be remembered. He, perhaps more than anyone in that fantastic cast, hit his notes and lines perfectly. On a more successful show (from a ratings standpoint), he would have won multiple Emmys.
    That said, his death probably is the final nail in the coffin of a GG reunion. He was so key to the show that his absence would cast a pall over the entire thing. It would have been a hard sell to get the financing to make this film given how the show ended, and it now may be an impossible sell. There is always crowdsourcing, but I’m not sure they can raise enough money for getting the rights and paying that large cast enough to do this.

• ChrisGa says:

Agreed–he, Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop consistently gave Emmy-caliber performances during that show’s run.

• David4 says:

I don’t know. I doubt that if he lived another 20 years we would ever get a movie, but his death could cause the plot for the movie.

The movie starts with Lorelai and Luke’s wedding. Lorelai’s parents aren’t there, because they don’t approve of Luke. Some time passes and Lorelai finds out that her father died. It brings all the Gilmore Girls together again and Emily finally realizes that Lorelai is happy with Luke and that’s the only thing that matters in life.

• Mary Tarpinian says:

it is very important to remember that Hermann had a very long career.. years before the Gilmore Girls.. he is better known for his portrayal of FDR, and William Randolph Hearst in The Cats Meow. among so many other roles as a younger man.. Regardless of whether it was a “supporting” role or not, Hermann stood head and shoulders above the rest…and considering how very successful the Gilmore Girls was, it wouldnt be hard to do a movie at all… in an ironic sort of way his absence could make for an interesting story line of how Emily wants to do more with her life since she no longer had Richard to care for… maybe try to work with Lorelei at The DragonFly? or start her own business… the possbilities are there….

13. Laurie says:

So very touching for her to go and say her goodbyes.

14. ravenda says:

Very sad. I really loved his work in The Lost Boys.

15. Yogi Chelsea says:

Okay, now I’m just weeping.

16. gocooking says:

I wached Gilmore Girls and loved his charcter. He also kept cropping upp in movies I wtched unwxpectedly and each time I enjoyed his work. A great loss to the entertainment industry.R.I.P Ed Hermmann.

17. Debbie Hill says:

Such a wonderful actor. He will be greatly missed.

18. debbie fullan says:

Loved watching Gilmore Girls. He was an amazing actor. You will be missed. RIP Edward

19. Barbara says:

So sad! What a wonderful actor! May he Rest In Peace.

20. Ariella says:

Honestly crying right now. He will be sorely missed.

21. Liz says:

So sad… Such a great actor.

22. karen says:

we are so sorry about the lost of hermann

23. Mary Tarpinian says:

He was an elegant classy man who was just amazing in every part he ever played. How lucky that a younger generation got to know him as Richard Gilmore in The Gilmore Girls.. and how even luckier that those of us who know him from his work of years ago got to enjoy him every week on television… The theatre/movies and television were better for having him trod their stages..R.I. P. Mr. Hermann

24. shannon says:

I was sad to hear of his passing we will miss him as richard gilmore

25. Good bye Papa Gilmore. Real life or t.v, one of the few men that I’ve ever admired

26. I’ve actually been a fan of his since I was a teenager who watched Born Yesterday in the mid 90s. Love him in Gilmore Girls. This is so heartbreaking. A beautiful and incredible light that burned out way too soon. My condolences to the family and friends of Edward Herrmann.

27. Cynthia says:

I am saddened by the loss of our beloved Mr. Gilmore. My daughter and I still watch the reruns of the show and have jokingly called our own relationship a Lorelei and Rory type relationship. My sympathies are with the entire family.

28. Susan says:

Mr. And Mrs. Gilmore seemed like family. What a wonderful actor and likable character he was…. RIP.

29. Barb Bauernschmidt says:

That montage was so sweet! I still watch reruns. Will miss seeing and hearing the voice of this great actor!

30. tania says:

Una gran pérdida. Gran actor. Echaré de menos a Richard Gilmore :(

31. He will be missed such a great actor.Love watching Gilmore Girls.

32. Teodoronag says:

Приветствую, много активных пользователей на форуме.
    Хотелось бы узнать кто нибудь зарабатывает в интернете?

33. I love the Gilmore Girls! Have all DVD’s !!!! I find it to be a fun loving down to home show ! they would get a 100 % my vote but still we will be miss Richard Gilmore RIP Herrman, mostly likely he will be watching from above and you be sure he will let you know in some way he is there,!! Best of luck to all ! :)