Selfie Finale Recap: Hair and Now

“Clear waves, full spiral, can’t lose.”

Eliza Dooley’s hair game may be on point, but as we rediscovered at the top of Tuesday’s Selfie series finale, she’s still striking out in the self-confidence department.

Naturally, Henry was quick to swoop in and suggest that Eliza find a role model to set her on the right path. After turning down Joan — whose best life advice was, “You can never have too much bath tissue” — and getting a hard “pass!” from Charmonique, Eliza shifted her focus to an unlikely third option: Corynn McWaters, the mean girl who made Eliza’s tween years a living hell.

But when it was revealed that Corynn, now a best-selling author, had adopted Eliza’s own tragic backstory as her own to sell more books, Eliza realized that her true role model… is herself. More specifically, it’s her 12-year-old “butt” self, who would be pretty happy with Eliza’s present-day success and happiness (not to mention her relationship with Freddy, because come. on.)

Meanwhile, Henry confronted his own sketchy past — he used to lie about being good at skateboarding — with a trip to the local skate park, which ended… well, like this:

Selfie Series Finale

Fortunately, his epic wipeout wasn’t totally in vain; Henry’s brush with death led him to adapt a new “no fear” motto, which he promised to invoke upon his next encounter with a naked Eliza. “Next time, I’ll be ready.”

Unfortunately, there won’t be a next time, as this was Selfie‘s final (half) hour. And while the series didn’t get the kind of closure fans might have wanted, you can’t say it didn’t end on a hopeful note.

OK, time to weigh in on Selfie‘s big finale: Are you cool with the way things ended? Did the closing montage — along with Henry calling Eliza “cool” — send you into an emotional tizzy? Watch the episode below, grade it and drop a comment with your full review.

1. I liked this episode, because self love, etc and I loved Eliza’s journey.
    I wish they would’ve added a final scene to show like possibilities of things happening between Henry and Eliza or a final scene where they were together. I’ll miss this show a lot :(

2. Roger says:

Wish it didn’t end. Still hoping for a miracle Hulu could pick it up as one of their original shows. Great multi diverse cast. Quite a gem.

• Me too.
      I was one that hated the title, thought the pilot weak, abandoned the show when was cancelled… But the moment I started to watch the episodes aired on Hulu I fell for it. The back six are the best ones. God, I need Selfie back. Just love Henry and Eliza!!!

3. Samantha says:

This was such a good show. I wish Hulu or someone else would pick it up

4. jan says:

I use to watch this show with my teen daughter we both liked it a lot.come on hulu pick it up..or even Netflix as long as I can see more episodes..

5. Stephanie says:

Loved this show. This episode was awesome but now I feel bad because I didn’t know it was the final episode :( I really want it to continue

6. Lia says:

I really love this show. It made me so sad watching the last episode. I really did love it and it was so funny! I am still hoping someone will pick it up, like Hulu or anyone! Please save this show it is so amazing!

7. Alicia says:

Why does it have to end? I’ve grown to love this show… I officially hate ABC, not only for canceling this but for the B… in Apt 23, too. Please, TV gods, save Selfie!!!

8. Tiffany says:

Eliza’s “started from the bottom now we’re here” had me in stitches!

I loved this show so much, signed up for Hulu plus just to watch it. What are the chances of it getting picked up by Hulu or any other streaming service for season 2?

• KFlowers says:

None. Hulu is a distribution hub, not a production company. On top of the fact that it is owned by the other station heads, there is no way that they are going to produce a product to go against their currently aired shows. Sorry. It was good, getting better and now it’s gone.

9. Michelle says:

I am so sad right now! Such a fun show with a FANTASTIC ensemble cast… Cut short way too soon. Boo ABC! Getting rid of awesome, original shows (::cough cough:: Pushing Daisies, B in Apt 23 ::cough::) for reality CRAP!

Hulu? Netflix? Yahoo? Amazon? Anyone? Please? Tvline? Help?

10. erin says:

I loved this show, hate it wasn’t picked up.

11. jojo says:

I can’t believe this is the episode.. the final one. … great great show. Shouldn’t have been cxl. So many more crappie shows

12. paris lemay says:

Best comedy that was never promoted by ABC
    most people I know never heard of it
    until you tell them to watch it on hulu. Then
    they all come back and say how good the show is.

13. BrittBrat says:

I’m really going to miss this show. I wish we had more than 13 episodes if we couldn’t get a second season.

14. indri says:

uh i really want to see henry and eliza together..I will miss this couple

15. Abby says:

Hulu needs to pick this up. It is a charming show and ABC did not give it a chance.

16. Moriah Eisenhower says:

Is there no hope it could be picked up by another station or an online distributor like Netflix or Amazon? I mean it’s critically loved and has a cult – like following. I guess I am just a dreamer…

17. Regina says:

Uggggggh ABC should be voted “most butt” for canceling this! Why must they ruin everything I love????

18. lauren685 says:

Wait, what? This was the finale. I hated it because it gave me no closure. Loved the episode just hated it for a finale. I quit you network tv. Really, really, really loved the show 😢

19. Nicole says:

So many feels! I wish we had more but impressed how they ended under the circumstances. This episode had everything that makes this show great.

20. Netty says:

So sad that this great show was cancelled, here’s hoping for a miracle pick up.

21. Annie says:

ABC first broke my heart when they cancelled the quirky and delightful Pushing Daisies. Now they cancel Selfie, a charming show that was just finding its footing, after only giving it 6 episodes? They should’ve at least given it a whole season. Fool me once, shame on you, ABC. Fool me twice – not sure I’ll ever tune in to a pilot from them again anytime soon. Screw you, ABC.

22. Pilar says:

Totally bummed that they cancelled the show. I too keep hoping that another network will pick it up. It was such a great series. Light hearted, feel good and fun. I was happy with the last episode and Henry finally coming around to realize how he felt.

23. Babybop says:

I loved it. So cute. The source materials for this show (Pygmalion and My Fair Lady) didn’t exactly have a tied up ending either, so I suppose it’s fitting. If a miracle happens and somehow the show does get picked up, I’ll continue to watch.

24. Ana says:

I didn’t like the season finale cause it doesn’t give you much closure :( kinda giving me false hope that it will continue airing….hoping that Hulu grabs it!!

25. Leah says:

A true gem that has quickly evolved into must-watch show. Great cast, very lovable and endearing. Wish it wasn’t gone too soon…

26. tstephen51 says:

I wish they’d give them one final hour long episode to wrap up the story.

27. Rute says:

I just finished watching the episode, and it made me so sad to know there won’t be more! I absolutely love this show, and I really hope that by some miracle someone picks it up for another season. Really gonna miss Eliza and Henry!

28. christine says:

Its a shame. Ill miss Eliza and Henry.

29. dman6015 says:

This is a prime example of a network being too trigger happy. All network execs are putzes.

30. Stanislava says:

Love the show!Would have loved for it to continue :(

31. megan says:

I don’t want to watch the finale yet, cuz then that means it’s truly the end :-( I really enjoyed this show and like the rest of the commenters, I’m sad to see it go and I wish ABC actually gave it a chance!

32. fancy says:

I love this show….a lot. It’s so fun to watch the interaction (attraction?) between Eliza and Henry. I wish there’s more romance in this episode. A little disappointed Teddy is the one who snuggled with Eliza at the end. Wish there would be Season 2 =(

33. Didn'tWork says:

I have to laugh at EW’s “outrage” at Selfie’s cancellation when the EW staffers slammed it hard when it first started, and told folks it was basicallyan unwatchable waste of time. It’s a little late to pretend you were on the Selfie Bandwagon now EW…..

34. Gissel says:

Why? Why? Why does it have to end?! I want to see them together! Only 13 episodes yet I cried like I’ve been seeing this show for years. I really love the cast. HULU PICK IT UP FOR SEASON 2

35. jay says:

eliza and henry were such fun. Gone far far too soon.

36. javadude54 says:

The video is only available to Hulu Plus subscribers but the trailer was nice.

37. Ana says:

noooooo it cant end like this, more seasons please :((

38. what was the song used during the henry-falling-for-eliza montage? :)

39. joy says:

Can someone explain to me why they cancelled this show. It’s got potential.

I’ll really miss this show.

40. Ris says:

Good last ep. Doubt they’ll extend it at another network since gillam and cho are actualy movie stars and have movie dates to meet.

41. johnny says:

I found it! “Summer home” by typhoon Im so gutted this show has ended I loved Karen gillan!

42. kb23 says:

Will they release this season on DVD?

43. Dee says:

It was a great episode. I’m sad to see it go. I wasn’t loving the pilot but gave it another go and i was hooked. Hopefully Hulu or Netfix or even TBS can give it a chance. i think it’s built up a fan base probably no where near what ABC was expecting but it has one for sure. wish i’d have seen Eliza and Henry at least kiss, but i content with the possibility it will happen Henry goes with the NO FEAR motto. I will miss Eliza’s vocabulary, Henry’s straight laced ways, Charmonique’s Sassy-ness and just looking at Freddy…lol

44. I didn’t like the last episode..because i had to watch it knowing it was the last one! I really loved the show, it had great characters and a rarely good chemistry between Eliza and Henry. Such a shame for it to end…hope it will be picked up by some channel!

45. Claire says:

The only thing I didn’t like about this episode was that it was the last one. :( Bring back, Selfie!

46. Tanny says:

This show never ever should have been cancelled. I mean why? It was brilliant. I wish they’d care more about what people want to see rather than the ratings. I mean i know the ratings dropped because not many people were watching it, but still. I don’t think that many people would have wanted the show to be cancelled. And Eliza Dooley is smoking HOT. Very few actresses who’re hotter in television atm! God i am gonna miss this show. a. lot. It’s almost like when Happy Endings was cancelled.

47. N.Anderson says:

Can once ABC GIVE US THE FINALE WE WANT. WHAT A WASTE OF HALF HOUR.THAT IS THE LAST TIME I SEE ABC. MAYBE I AM ONLY ONE PERSON, BUT THAT IS HOW SOMETIMES THINGS START TO END. BYE BYE ABC.

48. Lily says:

Is there a grade that goes like “why godddddd why?” I just can’t believe It just ended like that, I think all the people who keep watching the show, wanted to see Henry and Eliza work things out, and be together. I’m really gonna miss this show :(

49. Mike says:

It’s a real shame that this show was cancelled before it even got a chance to start. I felt the initial episode held promise and I was in love with it by episode 2. Finally a funny half hour of comedy and romance to watch on Tuesday nights (or any night). It kills me that “Two Broke Girls” is allowed to exist (still can’t figure that one out, and I’ve watched a few episodes from all over the timeline, just to be sure I wasn’t missing something). Even “Manhattan Love Story” was a fairly decent show, and rounded out a good hour.

I wasn’t disappointed in the final episode. I thought it was great for what it was. It wrapped up all the loose ends and answered all the questions is was supposed to and (as it should), it set up a really nice lead into the second season. Unfortunately, that second season may never happen, so it feels like a letdown. But, given that it wasn’t written as an ending to the show (only the season), I think it was remarkably well done. The entire show, cast, everything about it was brilliant, original and entertaining. Again, a real shame. I missed it before it even ended and still can’t believe ABC would let such a great show drop from its lineup

50. eric says:

Was I the only one that thought the scene with Eliza and her current boyf sweet? Haha. Im a dude and went “awwww” during that scene.
    Although I did like the montage scene too