Christine Cavanaugh, Voice of Rugrats' Chuckie, Dead at 51

Christine Cavanaugh Dead Rugrats Chuckie

Christine Cavanaugh, an actress who voiced Rugrats‘ Chuckie and the title character in the film Babe, has died. She was 51.

Cavanaugh passed away on Dec. 22; the cause of death is unknown, TMZ.com reports.

She worked steadily throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, lending her voice to television series including The Critic, Darkwing Duck and Dexter’s Laboratory.

Cavanaugh also appeared in guest roles on The X-Files, Cheers and ER, among others.

Per an obituary in the Los Angeles Times, Cavanaugh retired from acting in 2001.

1. m says:

What the…. I had absolutely no idea, is this really a joke? I was sad when she retired, now even sadder when she passed away. my brain is hurting now!

2. Steven says:

Her episode of The X Files was on the other night on Chiller. I had no idea she was also the voice of Chucky. I’m so sad now!

3. Erin says:

So very sad. Chuckie was my favorite Rugrat, and I still enjoy watching the reruns and movies with the little one.

4. kmw says:

I am so sorry. Her episode of THE X-FILES was great. Wow so sad

5. Angela says:

Oh, no! This is sad news-“Rugrats” was one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid, and I loved Chuckie.
    That really sucks. I’m sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace.

6. Archie says:

This is so sad! She was such an adept voice and actress; plus she was only 51. I’ve seen video of her doing voice-over work and she really loved it.

7. thisismenow says:

Such terrible news! May she RIP.

8. Really a damned shame. Not so much that she died as it is that no one seemed to report it until 8 days later. =( She was a good soul and she’ll be missed. <3

9. Keith says:

She was Dory in Pee Wee’sBig Adventure !

• smschira says:

I don’t mean to nitpick, I just don’t want any other rumors starting. Dottie in Pee Wee’s Big Adventure was Elizabeth (E.G.) Daily who voiced Tommy in Rugrats. She’s alive and was a contestant on The Voice a season or two ago. This is very sad, Rugrats was part of my childhood and I loved Chuckie. She will be missed.

10. ninamags says:

Aww, that’s a shame. That “Small Potatoes” episode of X-Files is a classic.

11. CJ says:

This is so sad :( She was incredibly talented and voiced so many memorable characters. Such a shame.

12. Matt Thornton says:

One of the most iconic and greatest Voice Actors of the 90’s. I will remember always as one of my favourites!

13. Sheila says:

I checked some other sites and it turns out that she had a form of leukemia.

14. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear about her passing. Fan of characters she voiced. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. RIP.

15. Tran says:

So sad about her passing. Her voice-over work in animated series was the best including the voice of Chuckie on Rugrats. Think her voice as Babe is by far my favorite.

16. Ron says:

This is such sad, sad news. She voiced some of my favorite childhood characters ever. I mean, who didn’t love Babe? And Chuckie was always, still is, and always will be my favorite character from Rugrats. And of course her voice work as Dexter in Dexter’s Laboratory was amazing. Also, she voiced Oblina in Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, which, in my opinion, was one of the more underrated shows that I grew up with. And Oblina was my favorite character in that show too. With her passing, she takes such a significant portion of my childhood with her. Like I said, it’s not that she just voiced characters in some of my favorite shows; she was the voice of my favorite characters within some of my favorite shows. Because of that, I’ll forever be grateful to Miss Cavanaugh for bringing joy to my childhood and providing life to characters that I still love to this day and that I still feel connections to (especially good ol’ Chuckie).

• Angela says:

Aw, I forgot about Oblina! Dang. This makes me all the sadder. Like you said, it feels like part of your childhood died.

17. A part of my childhood just died… =( RIP.

18. tahina says:

I remember her from The X-Files , Small Potatoes episode, as the girl who got pregnant by Luke Skywalker. Thought that her voice sounded peculiar while humming Star Wars theme song. It was really funny.

God rest her in peace.

19. David4 says:

Oh no! She was great even as a live action actress. She will be missed!

20. Lee says:

Aww. I remember her as Mona on Salute Your Shorts. She will be missed.

21. Joey says:

“LIfe is so hard, Tommy. Sometimes I think it’s the hardest thing there is.”

22. Letti says:

Oh no! :( I have just started rewatching Rugrats to show it for my little sister. Favourite show of my childhood. Rest in Peace Christine.

23. Jorge says:

My condolences to all that knew her. It is a shock that this had to happen especially at this time of the year. She was not sick at all, was in good health and was working until her last day. May she RIP. I see that she lived away from her family members. She was such a good person.

24. Jorge says:

She passed away the same day as producer Heather Ervin age 39. May they both RIP

25. Carl Martinez says:

My aunt and uncle raised Chris after her moms death so I knew her quite well. She was a beautiful woman and had a huge heart. We will miss her dearly. Love you and rest in peace