Extant Season 2: Who's In? Who's Out?

Extant Season 2 Cast

CBS’ Extant is readying some of its cast for blastoff.

Due in part to a shift in storyline focus for Season 2 — in which Halle Berry’s Molly will search for her alien offspring — original players Goran Visnjic and Camryn Manheim will only return for a couple episodes, our sister site Deadline reports, while Hiroyuki Sanada and Michael O’Neill won’t return at all.

So, who’s definitely on board for Season 2 of the of the summertime drama? In addition to series lead Berry, Pierce Gagnon (who plays Molly’s android son Ethan) and Grace Gummer (Humanichs partner Julie Gelineau) will return as series regulars, while a few new roles have yet to be cast.

Extant premiered in July to 9.6 million viewers and a 1.6 rating, but by its Sept. 17 finale had slipped to 5.4 mil/1.0. TVLine readers gave the season as a whole a grade of “C+.” It, along with Under the Dome, was granted a renewal in early October.

1. Joe says:

What about Tyler hiltons character? Will he be coming back?

2. Jase says:

I think it’s strange that Goran Visnjic will only appear in a couple episodes but Grace Gummer will be back as series regular. I didn’t find the character Julie to be all that interesting.

3. Isobel says:

Will Odin be returning if it’s expanding on the Julie subplot?

4. JeffDJ says:

I’m still surprised that this was renewed, given the lukewarm reception it got for the most part.

5. webly3 says:

I don’t really understand why Goran would be demoted unless he is killed off. Season 2 will definitely be interesting…

• Kristen says:

I am also surprised Goran won’t be in much but Julie will. That doesn’t make sense considering he’s the main character’s husband and made Ethan. Overall, I know the series was really slow and had pacing issues, but I actually really liked the climax and how it turned out. I am curious to see what happens next with the alien baby.

• Luana says:

He’s the only reason I watched Extant also, could’ve kept GORAN in, I believe someone wanted him gone! Over Sad.

6. Mollytanner says:

I hope Maury Sterling stays on, he plays such a different character than Max on Homeland. And of course Louis Gossett Jr.

7. Jenna says:

The only reason I watched this show last summer was Goran Visnjic. I don’t even like sci-fi. I ended up liking it well enough. I especially enjoyed Ethan and the dynamic between John/Ethan and Molly/Ethan and their family. I’m very disappointed that Goran won’t be a regular and I fear what that means for his character. I guess I won’t be watching season 2. Bummer.

8. daviddavid says:

Goran gone? How can they realistically move forward? Isn’t he Halle’s husband? Last season for sure. Am quite certain that Halle had a second season written into her original contract. Will be gone by mid-season.

• dman6015 says:

He’ll be there in the first episode to send her off on her journey, then be in the last episode to welcome her home. Everything in between will be a road trip far away from home.

9. Television says:

That is really dumb to get rid of the main cast members. I personally liked the actual robotic scientist, the husband. It was great seeing him be a dad to the robot boy and invent things.

10. Grey says:

The whole show should be out. I still don’t understand how this got renewed with the bad ratings and bad content. I don’t what leverage Berry has with CBS but it must be awesome. (And yes I know the show did well overseas apparently but this is America. It should have been cancelled here.)

11. Lynn says:

The best part of watching this show was Goran and also his relationship with their “son.” I didn’t watch it for Halle Berry.

The networks are missing out by not having Goran as a major player in a crime or drama series … he’s a very worthy actor!

12. mollytanner says:

Extant has a sweet deal with Amazon (same as Under the Dome), so I imagine CBS is not in a hurry to cancel either of them.

13. herman1959 says:

Yes, we knew Ethan wouldn’t stay dead/gone (whatever)! Too bad about Goran, though, I loved him and I thought that by the end of the run he and Halle had developed some chemistry, but I couldn’t care less about the other two not returning . I’m looking forward it.

14. Rick Katze says:

This show is forgettable. Too bad CBS didn’t remember an unforgettable show which they canceled. Or even an intelligent show. I can only assume Berry had a two year commitment even if it was not publicly stated.

15. arabfem says:

Oh No! Goran and especially Camryn were the only thing that made Halle’s character semi-likeable. They kept her grounded and have her character depth that Halle want able to portray on her own. I also really liked the Hasimoto mystery. I found his storyline intriguing and was frustrated with the wasted potential of it as they abandoned it completely in the finale. Boo!

16. Scotty Parks says:

You can bet that this show won’t get a Third Season Renewal Now. Haven’t producers learned that you don’t fix what’s not broken? Oh well at least it’s got a Second season.

17. kirads09 says:

So essentially everyone who held any interest for me will not be on in S2. Well, I am crossing this one off my list.

18. kirads09 says:

Hopefully this means more Hiroshi Hatake on Helix. He is always so very – cryptic. Yet 100% engaging at the same time.

19. Lisa says:

Goran was one of the main reasons for watching the show! These people have no idea what they’re doing. Molly & John were perfect together

20. Lisa says:

Stupid! John & Molly were great together

21. Selma says:

Wow. I thought Goran was great. I don’t understand what’s going on here. The best part of the show was the dynamics of the Woods family, all 3

22. Steve Butler says:

I liked season 1, quite disappointed that season 1 is just about to make a debut on English TV when I watched the whole series 2 months ago. Can’t wait for the second series

23. mikeam1978 says:

“Extant” had a fantastic first season, but I’m disappointed to hear about these developments. I really liked Goran Visnjic. I hope this isn’t a case where the network screws up a good thing they had. Then again, because the late-fall start for a number of shows and Thursday Night Football, CBS has been making some incredibly bad decisions lately.

24. Coral Showell says:

I am waiting for season 2. I love the show and look forward to it every week. If i could not watch it i would record it. Please do another season. I loved it.

25. Britt931 says:

I looked forward to this show every week. It was something different. I loved the lead actors. Hope with Goran gone (will miss him) that the writer’s will portray Halle’s character as clever and strong (yet vulnerable) – it’s time to let the fear-drive develop into fierce-drive.

26. Ken Volk says:

The changes indicate to me that the show will devolve into a typical bang-bang / search and find storyline, albeit with a few sci-fi wiz bangs, in the same way The Matrix became a dud. All the interesting twists that were developed are halted right in their tracks, with new, intriguing concepts a thing of the past. Sad.

27. Alexis says:

we want season 2 of extant… is a good series please want the second season

28. Michelle says:

You can’t recast or delete in real life, so, without Gorin and Camryn, I won’t be inclined to watch this….. what kind of Husband (Gorin) would he be if he didn’t help his wife search for her “son”?This demeans this character, and is unacceptable. And to get rid of the “Best Friend” too? The title of the show should be called “All About Halle” :(

29. Lora Nunley says:

I loved Extant and Under the Dome. I just wish they were back on now.

30. Natasha says:

It was a super talked about show on twitter and also it usually is trending on twitter when its on! I liked the show alot ,but I like sci fi as well. I didn’t know the other character was Meryl Streep’s daughter. I also don’t understand how Molly’s hubby is not going to be a part of season two as a whole? How will they write around that!

31. AladdinSane says:

Without Camryn Manheim this series is DullsVille. Zzzzzzzz

32. Nikki Gorey says:

Wow…another sophomore show ruined with a bunch of stupid changes. Goran’s out? Yep…so is this viewer. Peace out CBS

33. lisa says:

Extents Goran V of course they take him off the show they (TV stations) always get u excited about a series then mess it all up nothing unusual there S**** an under the dome was and is a great show

• Gloria Lillibridge says:

Eh, I only watched last year for Goran. Halle is way overrated. Without Goran, not watching anymore. Same goes for UNDER THE DONE. Got so confusing. There are too many shows on, so don’t have to stay with ones that get confusing or boring.

34. Luana says:

Really miss both Goran and Can run, disappointed that the show felt it necessary to exclude them!

35. Leroy says:

Look CBS, it’s very simple. Everybody here on TVline agrees that the moment you decided to kill of Goran Visnjic, you killed of half of your viewers. We (obviously me including) all agree that Goran Visnjic is a much talented actor and a much interesting character for the series than Julie, portrayed by Grace Gummer, who by the way was back as series regular. Personally I believe that it is a big mistake to kill off a relative right next to the main star of the show (which is obviously Halle Berry). Now, there are some solutions in order to bring back Visnjic and restore balance to the universe at hand.
    1. You could do the time travel trick and undo everything
    2. You could do a reboot

Cheers to that!

• Dona ivancic says:

I completely agree with this comment right here. CBS shouldn’t have killed such a versatile character that Goran Visnjic was playing, I mean John Woods was freakin’ awesome. Aside from that, Visnjic in my opinion is really a talented actor capable of much more, only if given the opportunity.
      Now, Grace Gummer, I don’t have her as much, but there is a great chance that many more do, because of her annoying character.
      I like your idea about time travel :)

36. Caitlin says:

I hoped that they wouldn’t kill of this series like they killed “Under the Dome”. “Extant” was awesome, because it promised a lot of great things on the start of Season 1, and during Season 1. Since then, the idea has been lost, and a lot of characters among which was Goran Visnjic were literally swiped away from the screen. Goran Visnjic has ended his contract with CBS in the second season with an explosive last appearance. The show’s ratings have declined since then, and neither Halle Berry, nor Jeffrey Dean Morgan can bring them back. It seems that the people loved the character of Goran Visnjic, and the series producer Steven Spielberg should reconsider his strategy and maybe change his cards.

37. Aimee says:

Not that I’m complaining, but the series kinda died. Maybe they can pull this off if a third series is announced and the producers give new life to the cast and script. Interestingly though, I coincide with the rest of the people here and I gotta say that Goran Visnjic was a good actor for the series. He brought many viewers to the show, because a lot of people follow him for his role in ER.

38. Brittny says:

After watching the first two episodes of the TV Series “Extant” here is my initial verdict of this new television series, produced under the wing of Steven Spielberg. When it comes to the small screen, as I recall, the master of modern cinema has two successful projects “Band of Brothers” and Terra Nova. This time, Steven doesn’t experiment too much, and goes for the genre of science fiction.
    First of all, let me start with the fact that “Extant” is quite different and has a unique vibe like no other TV show previously produced by the hand of this eminent producer and director. All this thanks to the obvious parallels from “Artificial Intelligence” and “Minority Report”, produced by the same Spielberg. The series begins with the humanization of robots, introducing robot-child, here called “Humanics”. The overall style is easy to understand, although we are not immediately aware of the true protagonist or the hero.
    Although it is a Sci-Fi series, still it is only partially affected by the topic of space travel. So, fans of this kind of fantasy should be able to enjoy this content, as this genre often falls short. In this light, “Extant” looks very promising, as the storyline and the mysteries surrounding, offer quite a thrill. The series could possibly transform into something massive, and based on the above mentioned, find its own unique persona, because, television is the perfect place to experiment and make something previously unheard. Whether this will come true, we’ll have to wait and see in the third season of the TV show.
    Other advantages of the show worth mentioning are the phenomenal acting work and the technical side. In the series, for some unknown reason, opposite what is considered as the usual for television projects, here we have a voice-over. The stenography, and all the props and ornaments, are made at a high level of quality. The futuristic world is pictured in a detail-rich and skillful way. Sound and music also add up to the overall atmosphere.
    As for the actors, all of them are in place. The talents of Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic, we have seen more than once. Here, they show their best sides. Her role is quite emotional, versatile and complex, and the actress copes great with it. On the other side, he is also intelligent and pragmatic. In “Extant” Goran Visnjic plays a scientist, a robotic engineer, but also a loving husband eager to extend his opening invention. Such professionalism is to some extend expected from such proven actors like Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic. The main discovery of the series was probably Pierce Gagnon, who also did a great job portraying his character, in spite of his young age and, surprisingly, not a bit annoying. The rest do not spoil the picture, even though their characters are still plainly not disclosed.
    In conclusion, despite the significant amount of borrowed elements, in my opinion the show is worth watching and has the right to exist. The fact that such projects rarely indulge us on TV is even a bigger reason to see it. As a fan of fiction, the ubiquitous references seemed quite funny to me. The scenario is well fitted, so I guess I was pleased with the show.

• Ruby says:

WOW! There is no other way to put this, except you talk and write like an expert. I’ve never seen a movie or a TV series from this perspective and reading this review gave me another angle to how to experience things while sitting in front of a TV. Your compliments about Spielberg, Berry and even Goran Visnjic are sublimed and I couldn’t find myself in a position or a situation where I would be able to compliment somebody like that.

• Fan says:

I completely agree with you.
      The only thing that differs my exact thought to yours is that the series was made with hope that everything will be better for the next season. Except that, it really hasn’t. From season 1 to season 2 you can see Goran and Halle celebrating that their series will be put into production. They probably don’t even knew that what they filmed will be any good to the public. And that it what I don’t like – the skepticism / and the reality in the same time. So, they should have been encouraged and made sure that mentally they wouldn’t feel the pressure if something happen to the series…
      Plus I forgot what was I about to say next… so cheers to that!