Amy Adams Hosts SNL: Watch Video of Best and Worst Sketches

The ingredients for Saturday Night Live’s Christmas-themed episode – hosted by five-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams, with squeal-inducing musical guests One Direction and sketch-rich fodder from this week’s Sony Pictures/North Korea hacking scandal – had visions of guffaws dancing in our heads.

Though an all-over-the-place opening monologue — highlighted by a welcome cameo from SNL alum Kristin Wiig (“Isn’t this the second time you’ve crashed my monologue?” asked Adams) and a cast sing-along of “We Need a Little Christmas” – wasn’t exactly memorable, the show’s strongest moments managed to create just enough holiday cheer to make it worthwhile.

Here are my picks for best and worst sketches of the night:

Best: Cold Open Featuring Dr. Evil
Shrieks of joy engulfed Studio 8H as “A Very Somber Christmas With Sam Smith” was pre-empted by none other than Dr. Evil (welcome back, Mike Myers!), who wasted no time in skewering North Korea (“You’re one of the most evil countries in the world, and your act of war is to kill a movie?”) and Sony Pictures (“they haven’t had a hit since The Walkman”) while tossing in a few inevitable Austin Powers classics (“what are you gonna do next … ask for one million dollars?”).

Best: “Serial’ The Christmas Surprise
Ready for a little Christmas magic? Sure, this top-notch pre-taped parody investigating mysterious Christmas gift-giver ‘Chris’ (or was it Kris?) was perhaps overly long and slightly repetitive at times, but its best (and funniest) moments were in the wealth of subtle details (and of course the brilliant Cecily Strong as Sarah Koenig). Grainy, archival footage, brilliantly odd courtroom sketches, and assorted delightful sound-bites abounded, so rewind and repeat — because this is SNL parody at its very best.

Best: Kim Jong-un on “Weekend Update”
It was all-too-brief, but Bobby Moynihan’s expected reprise of the North Korean leader was a welcome sight, delivering some biting humor (“I’m not afraid OK, I got this”) highlighted by that ever-expanding barrage of red laser sights dotting his chest. With just enough time to hit the exit, the suddenly spooked Moynihan’s offered those sharpshooters this little reminder: “Whoa, whoa, whoa … I’m Seth Rogen everybody!”

Worst: A Very Cuban Christmas
OK, there have been far worse SNL sketches, but this one disappointed mostly for sheer wasted potential: Kenan Thompson’s Cuba Gooding Jr. and Jay Pharoah’s President Obama fell especially flat, with only Kate McKinnon’s maniacal Diana Nyad (“I swam to Cuba … 90 miles of open ocean, ya little bitch!”) providing a brief flurry of comedic relief.

Worst: Girlfriends Talk Show
Once again, there may have been worse sketches tonight, but let’s play up the disappointment factor; shouldn’t a walk-on cameo from all five One Direction boys amount to more than some very loud in-studio screaming and an all-too random sketch-ending dance party?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Adams as a host? What was your favorite sketch? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Tom says:

Thank the FSM you included Girlfriends Talk Show as worst, I’ve never cared for that sketch

2. Tammy says:

Serial Christmas was fantastic! (Then I went to bed.)

3. Rdub says:

“— highlighted by a welcome cameo from SNL alum Kristin Wiig”
    Really? I’m gonna say not.

• Patrick says:

Thank you. I never found her funny.

• S. says:

Exactly. And what I wanna know is how was Garth and Kim not a ‘worst’? I actually was moved to yell at the tv when I realized what I was about to be subjected to yet again. That’s an improv game, not characters, and it never fails to be cringeworthy. It’s the same thing every time and the only ones who seem to be amused by it are Fred and Kristen. I guess I should be grateful we didn’t have to see the Lawrence Welk sketch. Mike Myers saved us from that.

4. Tran says:

I give the Amy Adams episode of SNL a B. Still can’t stand the Girlfriends Talk Show as one of the most overrated sketches of all time unlike The Californians (another overrated one). Overall, the actress who was best known as Lois Lane in Man Of Steel did her best but couldn’t hold her ground since the first time she’s hosted back in 2008. On the other hand, it was a good way to end SNL in 2014.

• Riana says:

She’s definitely best known for Enchanted.

• Stop says:

She’s not best known for any role.

• Network says:

Can 2015 finally be the year people in the comments section will finally stop writing opinion as though it were cold hard fact? i I think Amy Adams has had a very impressive and rich body of work that has many different things that people would know her from.

• Tai says:

We can hope. But it’s the Internet. I’ve given up hoping people will stop believing their opinion to be a fact we should all be believing. Just never going to happen.

• S. says:

I was all set to assume Enchanted was what she was best known for (and maybe amongst families that’s true) but according to Box Office Mojo, Man of Steel turns out to be her highest grossing film. Huh. I didn’t see it so I had no idea. Forgot she was even in it. So in conclusion, we’re all still ridiculous. ;)

• John NYC says:

Her Academy Award nomination, and her Golden Globe win for American Hustle would seem to put that film right up there on her resume.

• RUCookie says:

I find it unny that an Oscar nominted actress is downplayed by you (who seem to either be too lazy to look up information or unwilling to watch something less than mainstream) – for shame, Amy Adams is an amazing actress that can definitely carry her own.

5. That might have been one of the best Cold Opens all year.

• Network says:

The only thing I was hoping when I first saw it was that Dr. Evil was going to claim responsibility but it was still excellent. I thought by the 3rd movie I was done with Dr. Evil but it was great seeing him again.

6. missteeks says:

No boy band cameo can top Super Size It so they should just stop trying.

7. Network says:

I loved the asian American doll sketch. I don’t think it could have been more on point.

8. Robert W. Humbucker says:

I don’t bother to watch SNL anymore. This summary was all I needed.

9. Truth be known, Pit Bull would not have had anything to do with that Cuba sketch. Remember when Beyonce and Jay-Z went to Cuba? Pit Bull was not a happy camper and was very outspoken about it.

10. Brian says:

Where was Justin Timberlake or Jimmy Fallon when they host the Christmas Show they are always good

11. keith says:

Lots of pre taped things for a live sketch show. No office Xmas party fans?

12. puck says:

Worst episode of the year. Unfunny, boring and stupid.