Kiefer Sutherland on Doing More 24: 'I Don't See Myself Going Back to It'

24 Spinoff

Could it be that Jack Bauer has clocked out for the very last time?

In a feature interview with the UK’s Telegraph (to promote his and Stephen Fry’s Sky Playhouse Presents two-hander, Marked), Sutherland seems resigned to leave Jack in Russian custody, as he was at the close of last summer’s 24: Live Another Day limited series.

This despite rumblings, from as recent as September, that Imagine Entertainment chairman Brian Grazer was looking to revive the 24 feature film idea.

“Me, I don’t see going back to it,” Sutherland said of the prospect of more 24. “We had set out to do 12 episodes [of Live Another Day] to end the show and deal with some of the past history of the show. It was also an irresistible opportunity to go shoot in England. So for all of those reasons it made sense to do that last season.”

Of course, Sutherland acknowledges that he has mulled Jack Bauer’s metaphorical epitaph before.

“I think I said the same thing at the end of Season 8,” the final 24 season until Live Another Day came along. “So I would hate to be held to that.”

1. cw says:

I wish he was serious about his statement, but if the price is right, Jack’s back! Money talks and the “whisper” dialogue talks. Enough already! Wait, I don’t have to watch so why am I complaining? Enjoy people.

2. Tran says:

I’m always a huge fan of 24 since the very beginning. Whether it’s going to be a Season 10 or a feature film, I’m definitely hooked on either one of them and give Jack Bauer a proper “happy ending”. If only I should say DAMMIT!!!

3. Moment says:

Someone just needs to pitch a good idea to him, and if the moneys good, I don’t see why he won’t do more.

4. Steven says:

So pay him enough and fly him to Paris to shoot it and he’s in.

5. Brent says:

C’mon!! Just make more already!!

6. Hubert Hennesey says:

There will be more Jack. Why? We will pay.

7. I doubt Kiefer would pass up the opportunity to film in Russia, especially if Tony is back, released from prison for the exclusive cause to break Jack out. Then Jack and Tony (and Chloe) spend 12 hours escaping the former USSR

• David4 says:

I doubt the network would be allowed to film in Russia right now.

• Ron says:

Maybe they can’t film in Russia but they could film in former Eastern Block countries that look like Russia, i.e. Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, etc.

• Moment says:

You wouldn’t need to film in Russia, just find some suitably dank warehouse, convert into some holding cells. Preferably somewhere remote and have him rescued in the opening moments of the season, and then timeskip with Jack back in the US. Then cover anything of interest as the day goes on. Jack could open up.. That’s how I would do it anyway.

• Iyanz says:

Good idea. We want Tony back and Jack needs to have a happier ending. Kim needs to step up with Tony and go get dad. Little Terry needs her grandfather around. Chloe is the only analysis they need.

• alex says:

Hell man what you say about them excaping from Russia would be perfect but they need to make it a full 24 that was the only problem with live another day is the show is called 24 not 12

8. acurat says:

I agree with those that say money talks. The ratings held up to season 8’s by matching and beating most weeks ratings except for two weeks overall. Not bad for a show that had been off the air after 8 years (out of 9 as the strike canceled one of those years from going straight through). In any case,I would be for another season with Yvonne Strahovski riding shot gun. From her Chuck days she transfered well to this as her new show.

9. Tommy says:

It was the best show on TV. Lets hope 24 will start again.

10. UCHENNA MAZELI says:

WISH IT WILL GET UP TO SEASON UNLIMITED,I LOVE THAT JACK BAUER CHARACTER A WHOLE LOT.DONT TAKE A WALK,BRO

11. dj says:

Come on Jack, we KNOW Chloe slipped you a GPS tracking device before you flew off. She won’t rest until she saves you…..

12. Natasha says:

The ending was horrible! I was excited to see the show come back, because I thought, “Great! Now I’ll get the ending I wanted in the first place1” Boy was I wrong. I really wanted Jack to die at the end. I mean the show revolves around his actions in a 24 hr period. It made perfect sense that the show would end when he died. As soon as that happened, fade to black, show the end of the countdown timer and move on. I can’t be the only one who thought that would make the perfect ending for this show!

• Tran says:

Totally agree about that ending. They should have give Jack Bauer a “happy ending” instead of turning himself over to the Russians ever since the event of Day 8 and he would have gone back to L.A. to see his daughter Kim again. If Season 10 is going to be its last, they would definitely have a happy ending for Jack but if he doesn’t, DAMMIT!!! Also, they could bring back Chloe O’Brian and possibly Tony Almeida depending on whether he’s still bad like he did in Day 7 or save Jack from the Russians so that they could be back together again maybe for the last time.

13. M3rc Nate says:

I want a Yvonne Strahovski 24 season, lets say 12 episodes, hell maybe even a full season (24), and in the last few episodes her character is in BIG trouble, like taking hostage or grabbed by the baddies and is gonna get killed, and in comes (with no leaks or “spoilers” of his upcoming guest star) Jack (Kiefer), he is in a episode or two, we learn what he is up to (if anything), and then he goes back into the shadows and she continues her mission in the last episode or two.

14. Sir Lord says:

I think that One Jack Bauer should find peace and happiness to end his character run because since Day One, he has never had a fair chance to experience love, peace, and happiness beyond one hour on the clock as Renee lives on in our memories!

15. Sheldon W. says:

I still say that Yvonne Strahovski’s Agent Kate Morgan would make a good lead character for a 24 revamp.

16. Pat says:

In other words, He wants more $$$$$

17. kmw says:

It could be about money, but the way FOX is bleeding this season(and considering FOX blew 50 million dollars on UTOPIA), if they did get him to come back there is no way they would do another long distance location. I know at the end of the last series FOX wanted them to come back, but who knows? It will be more likely they will do a movie. Less time and strain on him. 24 did well when it came back, especially considering it hadn’t been on air for awhile, so maybe they will convince him to change his mind. If I were FOX I would do whatever I could to get him to come back, even for 10 episodes. FOX is in desperate need of help

18. Judy says:

Do it Jack! Your fans deserve more. We dealt with Walt Whitman but your different.

19. Mark says:

I’m on board to what 24 no matter what it’s about. Whether he in the gulag, Siberia or even serving his time doing community service in Russia. Just don’t want to see it end like that from the last episode of 24-LAD.

20. Don j. says:

Kiefer reportedly took a huge pay cut to make Live Another Day. If FOX can cough up the money, there is no way he turns it down.

21. Got to have more Jack Bauer! Bust his ass out of the gulag now!

22. Rich Abey says:

Yes people say Kiefer is just twisting his words to get a pay-rise if the show returns for another limited episode outing but remember the fact that he has played this character for 9yrs now & that he is quite considerate about maintaining the legacy of the show. 24 was a groundbreaking show in the 2000’s, in a similar way that Breaking Bad was groundbreaking in the 2010’s. So we all want it, if it returns, to maintain very high standards, like it did this year. I see the show returning for 1 more outing maybe the year after in 2016 with another fresh setting…fingers crossed!

23. dman6015 says:

He’ll cave in about 3 years when nothing else in his career pans out.

24. Anthony says:

A few months ago he said he missed Jack Bauer and the EP’s were saying they still had a ton more of ideas of where they could take the story now it could be done? NOOOOOOO!!! I’m not trying to hear that. Especially after Soilitary. They blew the door wide open. Why make that if it wasn’t going to return somehow? JACK NEEDS TO BE BACK!! His journey can’t end with him in a Russian prison.It didn’t end for him in a Chinese prison so keeping all the hope alive that he will be back. Pitch an EPIC AWESOME STORY SCRIPT to him. Give him all the money in the world because he is just PHENOMENAL at what he does and at playing Jack Bauer. Definitely bring back Kate.There is still more to her story to be told too. Laying down her badge the way she did? I’m like nope you have to come back I need more of you. And you have to bring back Chloe. Jack’s bestest friend in the whole wide world. And then just unleash wrath on the all Russians and get Jack out of that place. This is not the end. IT CAN’T BE!!

25. Jaquie says:

Guess you can always want one more, but as a fan who’s watched this show and analyzed it so closely over and over, I think one more story would fit well. Maybe another TV movie. With Tony’s little extra added in the bonus features it really feels like they’re gearing up for more.

A show like this deserves closure. Tony’s little stunt opens things up again. I’ll take one more of anything, and if they think there’s more story to be told, all the merrier!

Bring back the Jack Bauer Power Hour!

26. kathy says:

I just retired & just found this show, now totally a fan. hope for more episodes. it has been proved that it’s possible to make a great show without out foul language and graphic sex.
    thanks more than I can say.

27. Gladys says:

We Watch 24 all over the world and it would be Nice to Watch my favourite jack on action

28. Tom Dooley says:

Make 24 with another agent you dont need jack bauer!

29. mikefromuniontown says:

I think that in time , and soon, a Russia on site filming would be possible. And it would be a chance to mend the damage by WORKING WITH THE RUSSIANS instead of fighting them. And being a huge fan of 24, since I began “to torrent and binge watch” in 2006, On site in Russia would provide the best ending. The plot would definitely involve Tony to get Jack out but but, we would have have our Heroes suddenly working WITH THE RUSSIANS to AVOID the EXTREMISTS hardliners IN BOTH COUNTRIES (AND THE SHADOW GOVERNMENT) WHO WANT WORLD WAR 3! Its a PERFECT PLOT and would sell all over the world inlight of the tension! Hey Joel Surnow, since the EQUALIZER DAYS buddy, GET Howard and the boys ON BOARD b4 I send CONTROL after you all. Don’t kill off the ONLY show on TV that has EVER been this good. Take Care (ps you can find me so may I be an extra in the background in Russia?) As the FSB/ CIA they both can find me lol!

30. Sandy says:

I think the reality is that there are so many “24” fans that we will never get enough of Jack Bauer. The actors need to realize that the fans want more of “24”, Keifer makes the show. They need to bring Tony Almada back to assist Jack in being broken out of the Russian prison!!! Chloe needs to be involved in bringing them both home working closely with the new CTU unit and the President !! Someone needs to make sure the actors are paid well and get them under contract until they have a contract for at least 14 seasons !!!

• Iyanz says:

31. Stephanie Pierquet says:

I need more 24 please!

32. Chris Moore says:

You can’t leave it with Jack in the hands of those dirty commies. Jack deserves better than that. I liked it better with him as a fugitive, at least he was free

33. kuria chege says:

I just want season 10.then that is it.He cant just remain in russia.was up man

34. am a big fun of 24 frm kenya I jst wish tat jack could go for more episodes till even season 24 then he finish the mission together with Tony,chloe and even former president wyne to break him frm Russia prison

35. Fact is, they cannot leave it like that. LAD was left on a cliffhanger, Jack and Kim need to be reunited. The blu-ray extra on LAD doesn’t tie up with what Kiefer has said here about not returning. It doesn’t make sense not to have Jack back for Series 10 or further. If he truly believes in not coming back then there is NO point whatsoever in proceeding with Series 10 onward. Leave it be and join the countless shows that finish or get axed with a finish that doesn’t make sense.

36. Jaga says:

PLEASE DONT STOP 24.. ITS THE BEST SERIES EVER… NONE CAN BEAT IT..
    LET IT GET TO SEASON 100.. JUST DONT STOP…

JACK BAUER IS JUST TOO INTRIGUING ,, DAMMMMMM

37. okey says:

pls kifer dont leave us go for season 10

38. chuck agar says:

I love 24 but Kefer is right 24 has came to a end but never to late for action movies put Jack’s skills to the test how about the new Die Hard movie with Willis

39. Edwin says:

jack am from kenya we are your fun don’t keep us that long we are waiting for season 10.okay 24without Jack is not24

40. Michael Nelson says:

I feel Kiefer if he doesn’t want to do it but being a die hard fan since season 1 i would love 4 there to b a season 11 or on tha movie screen I,M ALL IN

41. Ruth Meyer says:

Can’t leave him in Russian custody for being an American hero for like 9 times in a row.

42. Tess says:

we need season 10, then Jack can retire. ALL other TV shows like “Homeland” etc is just spinoffs of 24. Keifer, I am a South African citizen and watched this series since season 1. The show is phenominal! Theresa

43. nana kwame says:

I have been watching this series over and over again. I will continue to do that till Jack cums back on the radar.
    24 is the best. Jack we want more.
    #concernfanfromGhana#

44. Deniz says:

Hope yolu’re continue

45. Cliff says:

Make a movie with a happy ending just like the redemption, its long time I followed jack’s heroic tactics to finish with him losing everything, the job, the woman Audrey, he deserve to be rescued by another president like in season 6 from the chinese.

Make atleast four hours, part 2 and part 3 of redemption :)

46. Chainz says:

I have a fun of 24 since season 1 and Jack is my favorite actor please Jack go for season 10

47. Chainz says:

I have been a fun of 24 since season 1 and Jack is my favorite actor please Jack go for season 10

48. Melvin Spicer says:

Please Kiefer Sutherland, please come back! Bring Jack back! Bring Jack Bauer home, where hero’s belong! America loves 24. America loves Kiefer Sutherland. America loves Jack Bauer! Please come back, Jack! Come back home!

49. Peter Charles Culver says:

Hello I am from UK and the suspense of 24 watching all its Intriguing play has about wore me out with excitement. Cmon Jack one Last Series … Please and I will buy a bottle of my Fav… Jack D.. Even its name is famous JACK… should Help X

• Bill says:

Hello Jack please more seasons will be fin. Pls dont let your fans down, we love you and we love your show. Thank you.