TVLine Items: JAG Vet to Scorpion, Amy Adams' SNL Promos and More

David James Elliott

Former JAG star David James Elliott is returning to the network he once called home.

Elliot will guest-star in an upcoming episode of Scorpion, according to The Hollywood Reporter, playing a former Secret Service agent named Bruce Jones. When terrorists threaten to break into a nuclear missile silo, Bruce turns to the Scorpion gang to recover an important, 15-year-old memory.

It’s possible Bruce could become a recurring character.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Dax Shepard (Parenthood) will pay a second visit to NBC’s About a Boy in the Jan. 13 episode, according to THR. Shepard made his first cameo in Season 1.

* NBC has released promos for Amy Adams’ upcoming turn as Saturday Night Live host. Who knew the Enchanted star was also a One Direction superfan?

* Julian McMahon (Nip/TuckCharmed) and Daisy Betts (Chicago Fire) have joined the cast of Syfy’s Childhood’s End, premiering in 2015. Based on Arthur C. Clarke’s novel, the six-hour miniseries finds a group of powerful aliens assuming control of earth, stripping mankind of its culture and identity.

* ABC’s The Great Christmas Light Fight has been renewed for a third season, airing in 2015.

* A&E Network’s Nightwatch will premiere Thursday, Jan. 22, at 10 pm. Produced by Dick Wolf (Law & OrderChicago Fire), the new reality series follows elite teams of late-night emergency responders in New Orleans.

1. CJ says:

I’m excited to see Crosby back on About a Boy, but I was even more excited to see that Dax Shepard directed the Christmas episode!

• Shazzer says:

Isn’t Scorpion a semi spinoff of NCIS, in that they exist in the same world, since NCIS characters have shown up? And isn’t NCIS a direct spinoff of JAG? They should have just had DJE come back as his title character or cast someone else as Bruce. I think people would love to see what that old character is up to these days.

2. bj says:

Ohhh…DJE.! How nice. I hope Bruce becomes a recurring character.

I love Daisy Betts. I’m glad she’s got another series. Would love to see her in uniform again though.

3. Pat says:

When I first started watching Scorpion, I was not sure if I would like it. Well, it turns out that I have fallen in love with it! I find it so very unique having the main characters playing highly intelligent people who work together for the government, each with their own special qualities that are used in every episode. So I say, Bravo to this show.

4. SonOfCoul says:

But, doesn’t Scorpion take place within the NCIS/JAG Universe? Strange to have him playing a different character…even though it has been many years.

• Jared Munson says:

Although Chedwiggen and a few others have returned to NCIS in their former roles, it’s becoming more like Law & Order now where they play other characters. Scott Grimes guested on NCIS as Dinozzo’s partner, then starred in the Red backdoor eps.

• Keith says:

No, Scorpion is NOT in the JAG/NCIS universe…

• Newo says:

Linda Hunt appeared in one of the early episodes as her character Hetty, so i would say it is in that universe

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep. Hetty is in the SCORPION universe and Vance is in the NCIS LA universe, so by the transitive property taught to me in high school, NCIS is in the SCORPION universe.

• KeithH says:

Come on man… “In the universe” implies common EPs, writers, etc… in this case, all there are characters from one show appearing on another with the Hetty on Scorpion…

• Shazzer says:

:P to you Keith!

5. Joey Padron says:

Happy Crosby will be back on About a Boy. I wish his wife and his kids would guest star on the show.

6. Tran says:

Can’t wait for David James Elliott’s return to TV but this time for his guest starring stint on Scorpion. As for SNL, so excited for Amy Adams and One Direction in the last episode of 2014. Wonder if the ladies of SNL can do another holiday hit like it did in last year’s Do It On My Twin Bed featuring Jimmy Fallon.

7. aurat22 says:

Thank You so much for the early Christmas present! So glad Julian McMahon will be back on TV if only in a mini series. Now if Spike would just announce they are adding the Chairman starring Julian to it’s schedule I’d be even happier!

8. Jake says:

I like DJE, hope he becomes a recurring character on Scorpion.