Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Once, NCIS, The 100, Vampire Diaries, Gotham, Bones, H50, Castle and More

Arrow Sara Returns 2015

Who’s due for at least one NCIS encore? Will Arrow‘s Sara be back with a dramatic bang? Why is Gotham turning into a literal circus? Will Rumple‘s hostages be released? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

I missed seeing DiNozzo Sr. during NCIS‘ holiday episodes. Will he be back at all this season? –Diane
You have great timing, because when I asked showrunner Gary Glasberg about it the other day, he and the writers happened to be in the process of breaking the episode that brings Tony’s dad back for another encore, with an eye on a possible March airdate. “We’re actually planning to see Mr. Robert Wagner a couple of times this season,” he added.

Will Laura Allen’s NCIS: New Orleans character become a “love interest” for Agent Pride, now that she is widowed and he is divorced? I thought they had great chemistry and would love to see it develop. –Loretta
Let’s allow the widow to weep just a bit, yes? Exec producer Gary Glasberg allowed that such a match-up is “very feasible” though not on the drawing board, yet. “We’re in the process of figuring out our Back 9 right now,” he said, “but we’ve been so pleased with everybody we’ve had on the guest cast.”

Caity Lotz is back on Arrow in Episode 13, “Canaries.” Any idea of what can we expect? –Catarina
Showrunner Marc Guggenheim sums it up as “a really cool episode” in which Lotz appears as (of course) Sara and Peter Stormare (Prison Break) reprises his role as the villain Vertigo, which is a purposeful season-premiere callback. “It’s an episode where a lot of things that we’ve been doing and setting up during the season really sort of come together,” Guggenheim says of the intent to bring things “full circle.” He adds, “It’s not a ‘climactic’ kind of episode, but there’s a feeling of a big payoff by the end of it.”

Will Michael Rowe be returning as Arrow‘s Deadshot this season? –Joanne
When I spoke to Marc Guggenheim two weeks ago, there was no word yet on a possible encore for the Suicide Squad’s sharpshooter.

Any scoop on Nashville? —Suzanne
Will’s about to find out that being gay and a popular country music artist don’t have to be mutually exclusive. The ABC soap is casting the recurring role of Kevin Shay, an openly gay singer-songwriter who is one of the most successful in all of Nashville. Kevin is described as handsome, tough — a “man’s man.” Which we think is code for “Will’s new man.”

Really would love some Gotham spoilers on Leslie Thompkins and Jim Gordon, for when the show returns (on Jan. 5). Have any to share? –Mickey
Hmm, already I’ve had both EP Danny Cannon and new recurring player Morena Baccarin preview Leslie’s arrival/impact on Jim’s life. So instead I will share with you the latest casting calls – including John Grayson and Mary Lloyd, teenage circus performers who will figure into Episode 16 and hint at the origin of a certain Boy Wonder. Episode 17, meanwhile, will introduce two recurring characters: Dr. Dulmacher (aka another Dollmaker), this time conceived as a mad European scientist, and Reggie Payne, an old army buddy of Alfred’s who has gone a bit to seed.

Do you have any upcoming storyline info for Bones‘ Angela and Hodgins? –Pam
I can meet you halfway, Pam, with this pair of provocative sound bites from Michaela Conlin: “I hear that Angela’s going to go undercover this season, and that we’re going to find out her real name. I’m dying to know what it is!”

Are the fairies that got sucked into the hat on Once Upon a Time really gone, or is the show going to delve more into the hat’s powers through the rest of the season? –Kip
I for some reason assumed that Blue & Co. had been quietly released during all the winter finale drama, but I was, well, wrong. “They’re still stuck in the hat,” series cocreator Adam Horowitz assured me. “And that issue is dealt with early on in [Season] 4B,” premiering March 1.

Any chance you talked with David Amann about the future of Castle? He has to know whether or not they should start wrapping up the storylines, doesn’t he? –Mandy
I did my best to nudge Amann on that issue — namely, the need to sign both Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic for any possible Season 8 (and beyond) – but the truth is that such matters are hammered out by other Powers That Be. “It’s kind of not up to me or [series creator] Andrew [Marlowe] – it’s really between the studio and [the actors],” he deferred. “We don’t have any control over that process, but internally we hope this all gets resolved sooner rather than later, so we can move forward.”

I seem to recall reading on TVLine that Billy Burke was going to be making an appearance on Major Crimes. Would you happen to have any scoop on that? –Estee
Yes, Burke will appear in the final two episodes of the season (airing Jan. 12 and 19) when Phillip Stroh resurfaces with a possible ace up his sleeve. Now representing himself in court, “Stroh has a right, as the defendant and as his own counselor, to interview the state’s witnesses — and part of the deal that he is forcing them to make includes an interview with Rusty Beck” aka the lad he’s tried to snuff on multiple occasions, show boss James Duff previews. Seeing the two Closer characters at long last face off on Major Crimes “is pretty awesome,” Duff says. “You have two amazing actors there in the room.”

You’re so goodMelina Kanakaredes to us Hawaii Five-0 fans. Care to be good to us some more? –SCDL
You know how Melina Kanakaredes will be guest-starring in a Spring 2015 episode? Here’s the 411 on her role: The CSI: NY alum is playing Karen, a Special Agent with the ATF who is tracking a serial arsonist with whom, we come to find out, she has a personal vendetta.

Do you have anything on what’s next on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? -Dee
As suggested by this piece of casting, Season 2B “absolutely” will delve into the mysterious Melinda May’s backstory, EP Maurissa Tancharoen assured me. “The long-awaited Cavalry story will be revealed.”

Any scoop on The 100‘s midseason finale? –Tara
There’s so much going on between the Grounders and the Ark survivors that one group — the kids at Mount Weather — don’t even make an appearance. Meanwhile, as Clarke tries to find a way to save Finn, flashbacks reveal why Raven owes him her life.

Kai is my new favourite character on The Vampire Diaries! Do you have any news on what’s coming up for him in 2015? — Maria
No good, Maria. No good is coming up for Kai. Executive producer Caroline Dries says the title for the Jan. 22 episode, “Woke Up With a Monster,” is directly related to Elena and Kai’s new situation. He’s not going to lift his cloaking spell until he gets exactly what he wants — and he wants to merge.

I don’t want to wait until January. What can you tell me about The Originals in 2015? — Katie
How’s this, Katie: Now that baby Hope is back in town, we’ll be learning more about her, including any powers she might already be developing. “We want to explore what makes the child of Klaus, a hybrid, and Hayley, a werewolf, completely different from any other child on this planet,” exec producer Michael Narducci says. “You’ll begin to see certain signs — subtle at first, then maybe not-so-subtle — in terms of how this baby is something completely unique.”

What’s the deal with Mindy Kaling’s mysterious black-and-white photos of her as a nurse and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Chris Messina dancing? Can we expect a 1940s dream sequence episode of The Mindy Project? –Amy
I can hereby confirm that… no, those fun photos are from something unrelated to the Fox comedy. But as a consolation prize, I can scoop for you that the role of Danny’s younger half-sister Dani – who was briefly glimpsed last season — apparently is being recast. To that end, the show is seeking a 12- or 13-year-old to play a restless and surly Goth type.

When will there Covert Affairs Season 5 Spoilersbe word on whether or not Covert Affairs has been renewed? –Tara
No word yet — on the eve of the season finale — but to hear one of the leads tell it, you better cross all your fingers and toes. “Where we end up at the end of this season, I hope it’s not the end,” Christopher Gorham shared with TVLine. “We don’t end the season on a cliffhanger in the traditional sense, so it could be the end. But it’s not the end that I think the audience would be happy with. And it’s certainly not how we would want to wrap up these characters’ stories.”

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email reporting by Vlada Gelman and Andy Swift)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Thank you for Major Crimes insides much appreciated :)

2. eva says:

Do you have anything on Chicago fire or pd

3. Christina says:

I’m kind of looking at Castle like this is the last season. Hope I’m wrong…but then again, for a show that used to be a must-watch, I’m two episodes behind and dragging my feet on it.

4. Christy says:

Everyone at Castle needs to figure stuff out!! Lol. Nathan says it’s not up to him, Amann says it’s not up to him… SOMEONE figure out what needs to be done and resign everyone!!

• S. says:

It’s best for it not to be between openly discussed or determined by the showrunners and the actors. Obviously the actors know whether they want to remain on the show ultimately, but the agents and studio are the ones dealing with that and playing hardball about who’s worth what to whom. It’s not a good idea for it to get too close to the situation on set. Could lead to unnecessary drama and sour relationships, besides which it’s not like David can say ‘oh pay’em whatever they want.’ It’s not his money. Really he’s hired by ABC the way the actors are. Rather than being on the other side of the negotiation, he’s on the same side. His job may depend on them wanting to continue with the show, but so does the key grip’s. It was never up to him. I feel like it’s a matter of time. I’d be stunned if they wrapped it up this year. I’m guessing Stana and Nathan will want producer credits. Not unusual at this stage of a show to grant that.

5. Kourt says:

The second half of episodes this season for castle will be telling. I will look for clues for whether or not the show will get a 8th season. It will come down to Nathan and Stana re-signing their contracts and not so much ratings.

• Moment says:

I suspect it won’t be a problem. If ABC care enough about the series they will offer improved contracts to them both and leave on the table as long as possible, literally down to the wire. I think this will likely happen, so when the usual flood of renewals from ABC come in next year, and Castles the last one, it’ll be a late announcement lol.

• Rich Abey says:

But logically & storyline wise Castle needs a Season 8 but not more. So signing the two leads up for 1 more season should not be that hard right? It would give the writers ample time to close up all the important arcs & even give a good send off to Rick’s dad (cause James Brolin is too good of an actor to miss out on another appearance). Most importantly they can give all the longtime fans the excellent farewell they deserve.

6. I will be glad that Will stop playing the closet because he isn’t good at it. More people are going to know that he isn’t in love with any women but he got the hot for a red blood men.

7. tamara says:

I assume Sara will haunt Laurel in some way considering who else is back.

8. Just one thing says:

Amann’s answer is pretty interesting: “We don’t have any control over that process, but internally we hope this all gets resolved sooner rather than later, so we can move forward.”
    Since this is one of the many ABC shows produced by ABC Studios, that seems like a vote of confidence from the network. Still, if it ends up being a done deal, they’d probably want it finalized by the winter TCAs. I guess. It would be interesting to know what’s holding up the proceedings.

• GPJ says:

Two word answer….Nathan Fillion. That’s what’s holding it up. If he no return, Castle kaput.

• S. says:

Nothing wrong with Nathan ‘holding up the proceedings’ as it were. He’s the titular character and it’s a lot of work. If ABC’s making bank, he deserves a fair cut.

• Just one thing says:

The network is likely not “making bank” off Castle, and they likely never have. Their studio arm has, no doubt. But as far as ad rates go, I think Castle has always garnered average success.
          What Castle DOES bring to the table, and has for several years, is stability. It’s the second longest-running show on ABC, and the second eldest one-hour by a three-year margin – even with their own significant gap from Greys.
          Without Castle next season, there would be a 6+ year gap between aging dramas, which isn’t a mind-boggling detail, but certainly plays a part in selling the overall ABC slate – especially since they don’t have The Voice like NBC, or Fox’s smattering of old animated series and moderately successful baby shows.
          That’s not to day I think Castle should or will get a season 8 with both leads signed on. I just think it’s (obviously) a business, and all five major parties – ABC, NF, SK, the studios and producers – will all have to make tough decisions that have nothing to do with fan-logic.

• Just one thing says:

That wouldn’t surprise me, though I don’t blame him for playing hardball.
        And no, I don’t think NF and SK are negotiating together, as so many seem to be saying. They strike me as two actors with completely different expectations and career goals, based on things they’ve consistently said and how they said them.

9. I can’t wait to see what the writer will come up with the Arrow’s series. I still hope that it will be good news for all the Sara’s fan.

10. Tracy says:

I hope Covert Affairs is renewed! It’s such a good show and whenever it ends it deserves a decent send off! I don’t think this would be it and the fans want more!

11. Estee says:

Thanks for answering my question. I Am so excited to see this “showdown”…now if only Stroh would demand to interview Brenda. ;)

12. Rook says:

“Raven owns him her life” I swear if Raven dies in Finn’s place I’m going to be crazy pissed. They better not kill her off.

• Alyse says:

I think she own him her life because he took the fall for her crime on the ark because she would have been killed since she’s 18. I hope they don’t kill her character off either.

13. Briggs says:

Canaries! I’m all for the elements of plot coming together. That’s why I’ve been hanging on, to see where they’re going with it. They have yet to disappoint me.
    We need more Deadshot. We just… need more Deadshot.
    Oh, you mean the contract problem is a thing? I thought that was just overreacting fans. *sigh* Well, I hope things go well, though why they wouldn’t is beyond me…

• I hope that the Task Force X which include Deadshot would get their own CW series.

• Briggs says:

As long as Diggle makes appearances once in a while, I’m fine with that.

• I forgot to include Diggle. He would be perfect on the Task Force X. I hope that he would appear on both Arrow and the Task Force X. I hope that Harley Quinn will appear on either the Arrow or the Flash. Better yet I hope that Harley Quinn will appear in the new Supergirl series.

• Briggs says:

I’m curious as to how she’d show up on Supergirl. I admit, my knowledge of Supergirl is rudimentary at best, but I don’t know when their paths would have crossed. But I *do* know that Harley is slated for the Suicide Squad movie, played by Margot Robbie.

• SonOfCoul says:

Sorry, guys….but TFX/Suicide Squad is waaaaaay too un-CW for the CW. Never gonna happen, beyond occasional appearances on Arrow and perhaps Flash.

• Azerty says:

As much as I would love a Task X show on the CW linked to the universe of Arrow/Flash, I have just heard of the movie Suicid Squad as another Batman v Superman spinoff with Will Smith as Deadshot; Jared Leto as the Joker, etc. I guess with this movie in development there is very few chance to have a SQ serie now.

• Arrowette says:

I totally agree with u we need more Deadshot how come the producer has not decided or there has not been talks to make a encore where we can see him again. Too bad. He needs to be back. lets cross fingers that he will be.

14. Moment says:

I didn’t see much wrong with the Falling Skies report, the casting was known for months but you had information that arguably wasn’t covered by Deadline. Perhaps you could slip into an inside scoop or when you next cover the series.

15. Pierrette Garant says:

Any news about Beauty and the Beast, who is my favorite serie.When does it start in 2015 –

16. Kristen says:

Am rather disappointed in the spoilers for the Originals. The second half of the season is going to be about the baby and her power? Wow, I wonder if they ran out of ideas regarding storylines for the originals themselves. I would have thought with all that history there should be something else they could pursue. I hope they don’t do that rapid aging plot device they always do on kids. This is starting to sound an awful lot like breaking dawn (sigh).

• The Recasts...opps sorry The Originals says:

Of course the baby is ‘special’ she is part snowflake on her mothers side. Sigh what happened to the ‘darker, more adult vampire show’ we were promised? So so so so much potential just thrown away.

• Kristen says:

I have been doing my best to get used to the recasts, but it’s been tough despite their talent. Still, I have been hanging in there because of my love for the original characters we saw on TVD-but if the second half is going to be about this super baby then I can’t see myself staying interested. I actually still haven’t seen the winter finale because the baby reunion and the pics of klaus taking a selfie really turned me off.

17. Grace says:

Thank you as always for the H50 scoop, and for covering the show so often! =)

18. Mel says:

Thanks for the NCIS spoiler. Two Tony-related scoops this week! It feels like, well, Christmas! Thank you and Happy Holidays.

19. Liv says:

Ok so how do Kai’s powers work exactly, Yeah he got bucket loads of traveler magic from mystic falls but the more he keeps using the clocking spell, the more the traveler magic drains out of him right? And wen the magic leaves Kai will it go back to form the MF dome?
    Not looking forward to Steroline, their relationship was propped up at Liz’s expense, who will probably die so as to just seal the deal.

20. as524 says:

Seeing Mr. Wagner more than once this season is very good news! Love how Wagner, Weatherly and Harmon all play off each other so well

21. Mel says:

In The Originals, do you think baby Hope will be a sort of Togepi? Remember that baby pokemon thatcould make sudden things happen. How about that for baby Hope?

22. I love NCIS, but I really wish they’d stop pushing Robert Wagner/DiNozzo Senior. We see more of him than all the other family members combined, and I’m just on overload. As for NCIS-NO, I don’t want Pride with anybody but his wife. Why can’t TPTB on this show let a couple be married?

23. Sam says:

I can’t wait to see Agent May backstory, I always wonder why her nickname is Cavalry.

24. Jennifer Dahlstrom says:

Any news about The Following? Will the network repeat any episodes before airing new ones?

25. Cobra says:

How is it that “Covert Affairs” is on the bubble, USA gives “White Collar” only six episodes for a final season, but still continues to renew the absolutely boring “Royal Pains.” Seriously USA>

26. Loving the spoilers on H50 as much as I like to ask a question but 90% of the time I already know what’s coming up in the episodes :p Keep them up Matt!

27. paul barrett says:

When can we have a crossover of ncis/ where dinozzo and kensi team up for comic capers?

28. Daisy says:

Excited to know what Angela’s real name!
    And for OUAT can I have a spoilers on whether Rumvelle will get back together, so I can know if I should keep watching or not. I am a HUGE Rumbelle fan!!!❤️

• gloria says:

It must be a really bad name if Angela had to change it.-bones
      I cant wait to see how blue swhen they see hook! Captain swan!-OUAT

29. Hope says:

Would like to know what is going to happen to my OTP Elijah and Haley, hopefully they wont ruin them. And I dont know regarding hope this sounds like a Breaking Dawn- dont want that. Hopefully they keep her as a baby for a while. If she has vampire in her, she would not age.

30. Anne says:

I used to watch Castle but I started to lose interest about half way through last season. I don’t even tape it anymore. Not really sure why……

31. Anna says:

The Originals spoilers about Elijah Mikaelson, PLEASE. Every new spoiler seems to be about the baby or Klaus or Hayley’s werewolves. What about Elijah?

32. Elaine says:

Covert Affairs is one of my favorite shows. I had no idea it is on the ropes. I really enjoy PP’s tough yet feminine portrayal of Annie Walker. Aren’t any NCIS-Ziva fans watching this show? Here’s your heroine.

33. kmw says:

Cannot wait to finally find out Angela’s real name . It seems though they are taking away undercover for Booth and Brennan and giving it to Angela instead Very worried about the direction this show is taking. Baby or not we need more scenes of Booth and Brennan TOGETHER AND NOT AUBREY

34. Maria a says:

Is it to late to ask if any of the castle cast will be at the pca tonight…