Walking Dead Spinoff Setting Revealed

The Walking Dead Spinoff

The zombie apocalypse is spreading to the Left Coast!

One of the key unanswered questions surrounding AMC’s in-the-works Walking Dead spinoff — where will it be set? — can now be revealed.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the potential series (the pilot of which will be shot in early 2015) will be based in… Los Angeles.

Yep, the zombies are going Hollywood.

AMC promised that TWD: 2.0 will shed light on a new, previously unseen corner of the zombie apocalypse — perhaps one where the living outnumber the undead. “Almost from the beginning of The Walking Dead (which is set in Atlanta), fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world,” AMC President Charlie Collier said in September.

It’s unclear if the show will actually be shot in L.A., or another city that could double as the City of Angels (i.e. Vancouver).

As TVLine previously reported, there’s buzz that the offshoot — penned by showrunner Dave Erickson and TWD creator Robert Kirkman — will be a prequel of sorts, one that would chronicle the early days of the epidemic and the effort to contain it.

The still-growing cast includes Cliff Curtis (Gang Related), Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince‘s Tom Riddle) and Aussie actress Alycia Debnam Carey (McLeod’s Daughters).

An AMC rep declined to comment or confirm anything beyond ordering the pilot.

1. Kat says:

Pretty stoked for this, the world of TWD has a lot of stories it could uncover!

2. aph1976 says:

It makes sense for the spinoff to be in a different setting than The Walking Dead and that way they can tell different kind of stories.

• Moment says:

Also it gives the writers more freedom as to who they can and can’t kill off. Given that the main series is a ‘take’ on the comic book material, some key characters simply can’t be killed too soon. And when someone does die in this spinoff series, no one will see it coming beforehand.

• lechatnoir says:

kill off AND add . Hopefully we’ll have more a multi coloured cast from the get go . It is important to reflect the entire human spectrum . Its so dull when the entire cast is monochromatic.

• Riley says:

I was hoping for a younger, less family-centric take on the post-apocalyptic, so the LA setting might lend itself to this. Hopefully it’ll go for a lighter tone as well. Last thing we need is another hour a week of mopey conversations about ‘the way things were and the person I used to be’.

• redo says:

Why do people on here always have to make everything about race? Just let it be. Guess the 4 black people on TWD aren’t enough for you? Write BET or Telemundo if you want a show of all ethnic characters.

• B says:

Some people are never happy unless everything is like a Benetton poster from the 80s.

• dogwhopper says:

Even to say when you are white and get to see white people all the time. You have zero empathy for other people who have totally different experiences. Stop being so selfish and realize others don’t get to see themselves represented and would love to have that experience. I mean think about it. How can I know you are white? But it is 100% true, you ARE white. Your tone reveals everything about you. Open your eyes to other peoples experiences.

• peterego says:

Easy to say when you are white and get to see white people all the time. You have zero empathy for other people who have totally different experiences. Stop being so selfish and realize others don’t get to see themselves represented and would love to have that experience. I mean think about it. How can I know you are white? But it is 100% true, you ARE white. Your tone reveals everything about you. Open your eyes to other peoples experiences.

• Martin Blank says:

Are you Schizophrenic….is it peterego or dogwhopper…I bet dogwhopper, because your probably best friend is Mike Vick…..right? At the end of this season, going into next season, of the featured characters, 7 are White, 5 are Black 1 Latino and 1 Asian. If anybody should be complaining, it should be Asians and Latinos, you need to watch more Tyler Perry movies to satisfy your racial issues!

• Martin Blank says:

What TWD are you watching, the character (skin colors I assume you are referring to) make up is more than reflective of American society…..

3. Geo says:

Please not a prequel. A spin-off, yes. But unless they’re genuinely gonna reveal something surprising about what caused the zombie apocalypse, I don’t see why we need to watch unfold what we already know is going to unfold. I’m so sick of prequels. Move forward, please.

• DL says:

Being that Rick’s story and timeline will be isolated from this new story, I wouldn’t really call it a prequel. While it may begin at an earlier place in time, I can’t help but think of it as simply a different storyline with a different set of circumstances.

4. lqza says:

Stopped watching a while back, I certainly do not want anymore.

5. Linda Magoon says:

Why not actually shot in Los Angeles? I don’t understand the reason to shot somewhere else. That city could use the jobs, it would bring. I have a cousin who lives in Vancouver, she says it rains to much.

• I got a feeling that thank to the tax program that the spin-off program will tape either Vancouver,Canada or Georgia and claim that it is LA,CA. Gov. Brown took to long to pass the new Tax law to help keep the Hollywood film/tv program in Hollywood,Ca.

6. grandmal006 says:

Why not film in Los Angeles? They can use the jobs that shooting there would bring. I have a cousin that lives in Vancouver, she says it rains to much.

7. AJ says:

“Almost from the beginning of The Walking Dead on AMC, fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world,”

Yes, other parts of the world meaning somewhere else, not America again. Almost every zombie movie takes place in America.

8. Rich says:

Sure keep the queers happy with a “gay” character.Why is it necessary to keep adding gays to TV plots?Are the that powerful 3% that get whatever they want?

9. I would be surprised if the spinoff show will be tape in LA,CA. It will be tape in Canada city which will double as LA.

10. soakedpancakes says:

There were a few reports about three weeks ago that the spin-off (called ‘Cobalt’) would shoot in Pennsylvania. Haven’t heard anything since. I wonder if that was a hoax?

11. shaw says:

I would have preferred Seattle or Portland over la at least then the weather could have been a story for dramatic purposes

• the girl says:

I was just thinking the same thing. I would rather see how the people of Chicago are surviving, not just the walkers, but the weather, the differences in food and water options, etc. I realize it is easier to imagine survivors in warmer climates, and if something like this happened the FIRST thing I would want to do is get crazy far away from anywhere with snow in the winter. But then, what is it like to try to travel that far? To plot a course out of state? etc. I’m okay with LA but I was hoping for a cold weather locale.

• CX316 says:

Pretty much the opposite of what happened in World War Z (the book, I mean) people migrated north to the snow line because zombies would freeze solid in winter. Of course, that plan DID backfire when the food ran out, but still.

12. emman says:

I hope it’s not a prequel but I like the idea that the living outnumbered the walkers.

13. Drew says:

Why Los Angeles? After decades of being stuck in LA, shows have finally started moving away from that setting. We have a whole beautiful country here. Why not go somewhere new?

14. tonilost says:

Previously read that Pennsylvania was being used for the series, oh well.

15. Mikel says:

I would like to know if it will be aired opposite the months of TWD. I would be nice to have something to look forward to during walkiydead breaks to have an alternate zombie show to fill in the blanks hopefully on Sunday nights.

16. Alanistic says:

“fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world,”

Yet the spin-off is also set in America.

• Drew says:

LA is 2,175 miles away from Atlanta. That is more than double the distance between Paris and Prague. America is a very large country. Just because it’s the same country does not mean it’s not another part of the world. Even culturally speaking, there would be differences (expect less blowing the heads off of walkers and more trying to communicate with them through interpretive dance…Okay, I’m joking. Kinda.)

• CX316 says:

Also by moving from east coast to west you ensure that your two groups will never have the chance to run into each other (since the east coast gang is headed north)

17. Jason says:

Desperate airstrikes on zombie hordes, please, Mr. Kirkman.

18. Karyn Mucklow says:

Well done, Michael! You scooped the big dogs with the most important TV information since, who killed JR!

19. jazzyt2u says:

Here’s what would be cool. Since the Walking Dead has a huge following and the spin-off is in LA, they could have random celebrities appear as themselves… but dead…. LOL

20. kathy kidd says:

When is the premier date, I’m so anxious to find out

21. M3rc Nate says:

Lame…and even lamer if its shot in Vancouver for LA. I get why so many shows settings were in LA in the past, because that’s where they shot almost everything, and fine, w/e, i accepted it but damn im tired of it. The world doesn’t start and end in LA and NYC….however TWD was set in Georgia and they are actually filming there, and that is awesome. So it sucks for them to go back to the typical route of “cheap Vancouver for LA”.

Where should they go? Detroit IMO. Go to Google and search: “businessinsider drone footage of a desolate detroit”
    Its already a post-apocalyptic world!

Overall as long as they aren’t on sets and are on actual roads and in actual woods etc then im happy, the real key to whether this show is any good or not is the characters…if we are introduced to the characters and they are annoying, or melodramatic, or any of that crap…im out.

22. Jayne says:

I’m really excited for this. I’ve always loved zombie movies that start from the beginning. While I love the Walking Dead, it will be awesome to see the start and how people react. I can’t wait!!

23. At first I was thinking “How can they find anywhere in LA to film that would be underpopulated?” I live here and unless they film on the outskirts of LA (which is a possibility) it would be difficult to make it “zombie apocalypse” ready…I would love to be zombified, though, so bring it on down here TWD!!

24. The “Walking Dead” spin-off will take place in Los Angeles . . . Which means the zombies will move even slower, because they’ll constantly be stuck in traffic.

25. Jodie says:

Pretty sure Alycia Debnam Carey wasn’t in McLeods Daughters….

26. Dana says:

LOVE Cliff Curtis

• I got a feeling that the spin-off series will claim to be in LA but it will be tape either in Atlanta,Ga or in Canada to make it look like LA,Canada. It is the city that will offer the best tax break. It was the reason why ABC’S Mistresses move from LA to Canada for the third season.

27. Ray says:

Why not in Long Creek, SC? It’s plenty of nothing here, tax breaks! Job opportunities, right here at the foot hills, beautiful mountains! !! Need I go on ? Oh, and a chance for me to be on the show !!!! Now, that would be nice !!!

28. Carl says:

I think in real life a scenario like this would have much more of a Christian element. People would turn to Christ if a zombie apocalypse were to actually happen.

29. Rob Denham says:

How would the anti-gun liberals in LA survive? Hit the Walkers with their murses? They’d have to take the dog out, first.
    You could go anywhere in the world with this; TWD: Britain would would be cool. Thing is, no matter where you take it, the stories are all going to be somewhat the same. We all, even those who didn’t read the comics, know something bad has to happen in the next couple weeks; they can’t get anywhere safe or comfortable, or the show ends.