Ratings: Sunday Night Football Surges, Once Slips to Low, Mentalist Rises

Once Upon a Time Season 4 Ratings

ABC’s Once Upon a Time wrapped Season 4A with 5.6 million total viewers and a series low 1.7 demo rating, down 10 percent and three tenths week-to-week and off 12 percent and two tenths from last year’s winter finale.

Season-to-date, Once is up 6 and 13 percent, ABC notes.

Leading into Once, some Disney/Broadway special-mercial did just 2.9 mil and a 0.5. Come 9 pm, Barbara Walters’ two-hour Fascinating People special averaged 7.7 mil/1.4, down 13 and 33 percent from last year.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Sunday Night Football (21.8 mil/7.7) surged 20 and 26 percent from last week’s fast nationals, drawing its best overnights since Sept. 7.

CBS | Undercover Boss returned to 9 mil and a 1.7, up 10 percent and a tenth from its previous premiere (which aired on a Friday). The Mentalist (8.4 mil/1.3) rose two tenths, while CSI (7.4 mil/1.2) was steady.

FOX | Sandwiched amid repeats and with no football boost, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.5 mil/1.5) and Bob’s Burgers (2.5 mil/1.2) both dropped sharply.

1. A. D. says:

They need to do a Once Frozen spinoff!

• Remy says:

You’re kidding right? The Frozen Arc was the worst thing to happen to OUAT. I’m excited it’s finally over.

• Brian G. says:

I didn’t think the actual frozen characters were bad. Elsa and Ana were fine. I actually really liked the actress playing Ana, and thought she was great. The horrible part was Elizabeth Mitchell. She was AWFUL as the ice queen, and the whole story line that she played was just bad…..

• Moment says:

I think the main problem is that the writers can’t seem to keep viewers interested in the arc until the end.

• Rich Abey says:

The problem is not with the arc but it’s with too many episodes being committed to the Frozen storyline. The writers need to work on getting their storyline lengths consistently. For example the 22 episode season-long arc of Season 1 (which is still OUAT’s bench mark of tight tense quality storytelling) was timed to perfection, while Season 2 as a whole should have been a half-season arc, the 2 half-season arcs of Season 3 were excellent while again they have fallen short as the Frozen arc should have been 5-6 tight episodes. Season 4 would have worked better if the Frozen arc & the Cruelle de ville/Maleficient arcs were meshed together.

2. kd86953 says:

Those OUAT numbers…ouch. I get they needed to introduce the villains for 4B but I think last week’s episode should have been the midseason finale. Or if any episode should have been two hours long, it should have been this one –lots to pack in and things felt dis jointed and rushed.

3. Eric7740 says:

OUAT was AWESOME last night!!!! Hopefully our viewers come back for 4B, because it looks amazing!!!

4. sanay says:

Last night’s eppy of OUAT was surprisingly decent in the sense that I’m actually looking forward to 4B. That Frozen arc couldn’t end soon enough.

5. Tran says:

Great to see Morena Baccarin back on last night’s episode of The Mentalist. Still missed her as Jessica Brody on Homeland.

• arial2 says:

I only wished she’d gotten away again. I like it better when she may or may not show up on Patrick’s doorstep. One criminal I don’t mind being “on the run.”

6. Drew says:

Once Upon a Time keeps getting worse and worse. It’s gone from being funny bad to being cringe bad… which is not a good thing. I am not at all surprised that the ratings are going down.

7. Christina says:

I liked the Frozen arc, but I missed the two hour episode weeks ago and just haven’t been watching since. It was almost a barrier to re-entry. Didn’t have the time to make it up, and then just figured it was easier to wait and binge the last 5 episodes over the break.
    If any Nielsen viewers did the same, I’m sure that affected the ratings for the last couple weeks.

• Moment says:

I honestly don’t think that made much of a difference, the ratings have been falling since the premiere. It premiered to a 3.5(After corrections) and is now at a 1.7.

• Katherine215 says:

I was out of town for the two hour episode, and several episodes collected before I faced getting through that one. I really liked the Frozen arc, but having to commit 2 hours (or 90ish minutes on the DVR) during the busy fall season is definitely a barrier. I think they would have been better served making the last two episodes the two hour episode instead.

8. arial2 says:

Re Mentalist: I loved that Patrick countered Teresa’s grilling about Erica Flynn with his own question about Teresa and Walter Mashburn (miss that character a lot!); it’s only fair…