Jane the Virgin Fall Finale Recap: Once Upon a Time in the Czech Republic

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Fall Finale Recap

Jane the Virgin‘s Rafael may be one shady Solano.

On Monday night’s fall finale, Michael’s investigation into Sin Rostro leads him to Jane’s current beau, putting an ominous cloud over the couple’s new relationship.

Meanwhile, Petra makes a surprising play for Jane and Rafael’s baby, a move that ultimately uncovers her traumatic history in the Czech Republic.

Let’s review the episode’s biggest surprises:

RAFAEL: DRUG DEALER? | Michael suspects that Rafael is “shady” and may be tied to — if not actually be — Sin Rostro. However, he’s got no evidence to back up his suspicions. So he enlists his brother Billy, who’s now working at the hotel, to dig around. Billy snatches Rafael’s wallet and finds a key sewn into it. (Weirdest hiding place for a secret key ever, yes? You only flip that wallet open all the time.) Eventually, they discover it belongs to a safe in Raf’s office, which holds money, a burner phone and multiple passports. This is not looking good. Even worse: When Michael obtains a warrant to officially search the safe, the items are missing, and Rafael sure does look smug about it, doesn’t he? On the bright side, Michael and Nadine accidentally discover a secret passageway under the bathtub in the missing Serbian’s room.

NATALIA EXPOSED | Petra shows up at Jane and Rafael’s sonogram and declares that she wants to be a part of the baby’s life. Of course, Jane and Rafael are having none of that, but Petra is a smart cookie who comes prepared: She reminds her soon-to-be ex-husband about the adoption contract they drew up when they considered surrogacy, so by law, she has a claim on Jane’s baby. Rafael wants to pay Petra to get her to back off, but Jane sees throwing money around as nothing more than a Band-Aid. Rafael calls her thinking naive, but decides to go with her plan: She’ll act as an informant for Michael’s investigation and record her conversations with Petra. Her strategy goes awry when the blonde reveals she really does want the child because she lost her father, who died trapped behind the Iron Wall. It seems like a legitimately genuine sentiment — until a quick visit to Wikipedia (I assume) reveals that Petra’s story doesn’t match up with the historical timeline and that she’s been using someone else’s identity. It’s enough to get Petra to give up her plan.

As for Petra’s real story: Milos was her first love back in the Czech Republic, and he did not take their breakup well. In fact, he tried to hurt Petra by spraying a chemical on her, but it landed on her mother instead, who then was hit by a car. Ivan came to her to warn her about Milos and offered to get her out of the country using a different alias. It’s not quite as dramatic or as shocking as I was expecting, but if it means we get accidental hostage Ivan trying to figure out how to break free of his cuffs by watching Rogelio’s soap, I’m all for it.

ROMANTIC COMPLICATIONS | Money isn’t the only thing Jane and Rafael disagree about in the episode. The two also have differing views on education and religion. Jane wants her child to go to Sunday school. Rafael offers a compromise: a private school with a religious bent. Jane is slightly horrified, since public school means more diversity and less chance of becoming an entitled snob. But the way they take down Petra — by going with Jane’s plan, while throwing money at a P.I. — proves “we’re better together,” Rafael declares, and the rest? They’ll figure it out.

ALBA’S TUMBLE | After enjoying the booze at an awards show afterparty, a drunk Alba goes to give Petra a piece of her mind. She overhears Ivan begging for help and encounters Petra’s mother, who sends her down a flight of stairs. ¡Ay no!

Finally, some memorable lines and odds and ends:

* With her sassy spunk and her sacrificing her romantic relationships for Jane’s sake, Xo is turning into quite the lovable mother. I might go so far as to describe her as Lorelai Gilmore-meets-Tami Taylor. She even forgives Jane for describing her as putting “the loose in Lucy” in one of her short stories and submits the consent form for it to be published. “I am not going to be the reason you miss your window,” she tells her daughter.

* “A hug from Rogelio is like a rabbit’s foot: lucky, rare and soft to the touch,” Rogelio says, offering Xo one before her meeting with a record producer.

* How cute is Rafael on his first bus ride ever? I look forward to him learning how to do laundry. No credit-card slot there, so that should be interesting.

* If only my printer talked to me as I wrote this recap…

Jane the Virgin fans, do you think Rafael is tied to his hotel’s criminal happenings? Did the Petra backstory live up to your expectations? Grade the episode via the poll, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. sarah31733 says:

This show is amazing. I’m loving everything about it and Jane is a top 5 female character on TV whether network or cable. Oh, and if Jane and Raphael aren’t the end game I’m going to cry.

2. C. says:

I was pretty meh on the Petra reveal…not that it wasn’t good. I just don’t really care about Petra at all unless it has something to do with Jane and the baby directly. However, when her mom pushed abuela down the stairs, sweet lord, I gasped so loudly. Did not see that coming. I personally think Billy is tied into the Sin Rostro stuff in a major way.

• Lizzie says:

i think he is tied with sin rostro too. Sin Rostro was there before Billy went to jail and now he’s out and he’s back (??) Also the whole passports missing after him and Michael saw the passports in the safe was a little curious. Love love love this show. And I hope Abuela is ok but in true novela fashion we will not know who pushed her down.

3. Kam says:

You guys missed the fact that Petra’s mom IS NOT ACTUALLY A PARAPLEGIC. She stood up when she pushed Alba down the stairs. Good finale though!

4. Please tell me grandma isn’t dead? :( also I would have liked to have seen Luisa in this episode or at least her adventures in the nut house.

5. madhatter360 says:

Petra’s adoption contract plan has one major flaw. Jane never signed it. Just because she and Rafael were considering surrogacy and made a contract it doesn’t mean that Jane can be held to it because she never signed it.
    “The section of Florida law that permits and outlines the genetic surrogacy procedure is described in Florida Statute 63.212(1)(i). This law provides that a couple wishing to enter into such an arrangement must sign an agreement with a surrogate for her to carry the biological child of the intended father. The surrogate agrees that upon birth, the intended couple will obtain custody and later adopt the child. Signed consents are required prior to birth and are subject to revocation within seven days after birth.”
    At least they got it right that surrogacy is legal in florida.

• Sean C. says:

Having gone to law school, even without knowing the express statutory language, it’s thuddingly obvious that a contract Jane didn’t sign can’t affect her legal rights one way or another. That said, the show never suggested she was likely to win, just that she would drag things out, which is also an exaggeration (you could get this dismissed in ten minutes), but it’s a more excusable fudge, and it was resolved by episode’s end.

• rachelrtw says:

I thought that too. Also, how can Jane even be held to it when she’s technically not a surrogate at all? A surrogate would be Jane carrying a baby made from Petra’s egg and Rafael’s sperm, fertilised outside the womb and then implanted. I suppose technically Jane is more of an egg donor.

Besides, they could also throw it out on the grounds that Petra used the sperm sample without Rafael’s knowledge of consent.

6. Dany says:

Also if Petra is not really her name than wouldn’t her marriage to Rafael be annulled? No marriage, no claim to baby.

7. valleria93 says:

Okay, I do not watch show, my sister does so I don’t know if there was any Czech in this episode, but she sent me a video a few weeks back with two people talking “Czech” and that was really lame. First The Vampire Diaries, now this show, they could have hired an expert to help them with the language, if they want to use it so much, please, CW, step up your game.

• Ema B. says:

Agree 100 %!! Im Czech. I watched few episodes and when they start talking Czech I could not understand one single word, I had to listen again and again and actually read the subtitles to figure out what words they are actually saying. VERY VERY LAME, same with The Vampire Diaries, with that one I still have no idea what they were saying..

8. Wordsmith says:

I still maintain that the narrator is somehow going to turn out to be Sin Rostro. Who better to be the “faceless” drug lord?

9. Amanda says:

I guess I’m in the minority on how fed up with Jane I am. She is sooooooooooo flip-floppy it’s insane. Just because she’s a virgin, doesn’t mean that she has to behave like some silly school girl, she can be a virgin with some sense. So Raf is allowed to do all these things to her and she is just “ok” with it. But Michael does one thing she doesn’t like and she leaves him? Is anyone ever going to address that or are we suppose to be so swept up in the faux love affair that we forget that HUGE fact? I hope Raf isn’t as great as she thought he was and when she tries to go back to Michael, he rejects her, because honestly that is what she deserves!

• Sara says:

What has Raf done to her? Michael lied to her on many occasions.

• Emma says:

This. And if it’s because that poster actually thinks Raf really is Sin Rostro, then they haven’t watched enough TV. The fact that they’re putting it out there now means he isn’t.

• Claire Barker says:

Yea what HAS raf done to her? Michael is completely selfish hated him from when he tried to make jane choose between him and the baby and then lied to her just so she wouldn’t keep it

• Amanda says:

He is a COP!!!!!!!!! He wasn’t lying to her, he COULDN’T tell her that’s a BIG BIG HUGE difference! So there was one lie that he was working with Petra. THAT’S IT! All the rest of this stuff was a part of his investigation and he can’t just go telling his whole investigation to her, he’ll get fired!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRED! FIRED! I’m really in my feelings because people forget the his position!. But Raf……where to begin! First, he still hasn’t told Jane his complete past, how he got Petra, etc. That’s funny, this is the same reason most of you don’t like Michael. His whole fit about her being a virgin, Michael didn’t do that. The fact that she is going against ALL all ALL of her morales, just for him, is just plain stupid! If she was this dumb, she wouldn’t be a virgin!

• Cara says:

I hear u about him being a cop right but u forgetting something… Michael REMOVED EVIDENCE FROM AN ACTIVE CRIME SCENE!!! Remember that?? Wen zaz was mudered and he went back for petras something( cant remember wat it was) so she wouldnt get arrested?? If anything can get him fired AND arrested its that!!! So I dont buy that he didnt tell her a bout zaz and petra because he could get fired… he didnt tell her cuz he didnt want to because he knew that jane would not give up that baby and he didnt want her to keep it. I mean I don’t think rafael is mr goody too shoes either but everything that michael did from protecting petra to hiding the affair from jane is for his own selfish reasons; even this vendetta he has against rafael now cuz we all know he is not sin rostro. So dont paint michael as innocent in all this cuz he is very scheming and deceptive.

• rachelrtw says:

I like Michael, but he could have told her. He debated about telling her, the narrator told us so – and she also sat in the car and read his freaking case files with him. He had no objections to giving her details about his work.

10. Sara says:

so anyone else think Petra’s mom (with the scarred face) could be sin rostro? we’ve seen her be pretty cold and calculating–punching her daughter in the face–and wasn’t it her key card that was used to access the stairwell that went to zas’ room? just sayin..one more possibility. Also–love this show!!!!

11. Claire Barker says:

I honestly dont think Rafael is Sin Rostro but he is hiding something which depresses me cuz I love him and Jane together soooo cute! Michael is a stick in the mud and needs to go far far away right now and take petra’s stupid face and her creepy zombie looking mother with him and speaking of mother dracula I am completely convinced shes associated with sin rostro and would not be surprised if it was her but im not gonna speculate, dont really care who it is as long as its not rafael or rogelio. My big concern is what the hell rafael is hiding and more importantly what am I supposed to do until january 19???

12. Sabina says:

I love this show ! To be honest I was suprised in first episodes ,that they chose Czech Republic. So my reaction was like : OMG OMG this is my country !!!

• Ema B. says:

though they refer to the Czech Republic and “speak” Czech, the signs in the Czech Republic scene have English words on and their Czech is so not Czech :(