Post Mortem: Hart of Dixie Boss on Zoe's Surprise, Lemon's True Love

Hart of Dixie Season 4 Spoilers

The following contains spoilers for Monday night’s season premiere of Hart of Dixie.

Hart of Dixie‘s Season 4 premiere sneak peek on Monday night brought a handsome new addition to Bluebell, but it’s one that’s still on the way that shocked Zoe.

After hooking up with Wade — though failing to win back his heart, sadly — the doc discovered she was pregnant.

Meanwhile, Lemon returned from her singles cruise with a saintly doctor of her own — but their romance is all a ruse.

Below, executive producer Leila Gerstein previews how Zoe and Wade will deal with their bun in the oven. The EP also reveals when we’ll learn to whom Lemon’s heart belongs and what’s in store for AnnaBeth.

TVLINE | How much did Rachel Bilson’s pregnancy impact the arc for Zoe? Was that something you always wanted to do? Or did you have to speed up the arc?
It’s not like I had a humongous plan for what Season 4 was. When you’ve done 66 episodes, you don’t even have time to think. I knew the endgame, but I didn’t know how we were going to get there… Rachel being pregnant and the decision to write her pregnancy in definitely became the creative choice that fueled what her and Wade’s relationship was. If that character got pregnant, that’s it. That’s going to be the most important thing that’s ever going to happen to her, and her and Wade.

Yes, that really dictated what the season was, but I was so grateful because it really gave us a new way to the story. I like to think I would, but I’m not sure that I could have, come up with something as great. Maybe I would have had her get pregnant later on, but to know that I had to write her pregnancy into the first episode because she was already six months pregnant… We really just had to expedite things. It just makes a very clear story. It was very clear to me the second that I knew she was pregnant, they’re going to have sex, because I’m not going to have her have someone else’s baby.

TVLINE | It’s such a big thing for the characters. How does it change them?
The idea that you’re going to be a parent— as somebody who is a parent —suddenly you’re like, “Oh, my God.” You have to cut through the bullsh-t. You have to grow up. Because from the moment you find out, you have, what, seven-and-a-half months to figure out how to be a grown up and take care of someone else? There’s not going to be time for that, “Will they or won’t they?” They’re going to have to figure it out really fast, because someone else is going to be dependent on them.

TVLINE | In the next episode, Zoe seems to be in the headspace of, “I’m going to do this alone.” Is Wade going to come around and make a go of it in a more committed way?
All of this will be answered in Episode 3. Like, so fast.

TVLINE | Lemon and Henry are pretending to date, but could that turn into a legit romance?
Her heart is not with Henry Dalton. We will know exactly where Lemon’s heart lies by the end of Episode 3.

TVLINE | What’s going on in AnnaBeth’s love life?
AnnaBeth, at the end of Season 3, broke up with Davis Polk because she realized she still has feelings for Lavon. Those feelings have not gone away, and AnnaBeth does not know that Lavon is in love with her best friend. So that is going to lead to some complications in the early part of the year. But this is a big season for AnnaBeth. She’s going to embark on a new career and find new love. Things are looking very good for AnnaBeth.

TVLINE | And what about Cricket, who came out of the closet?
This will be the year where Cricket starts dating her first woman. She’s still kooky, adorable Cricket. She’s exactly the same.

1. B says:

Phew, big sigh of relief. I was afraid after watching that we missed a hook up with a different guy in the 8 week time jump.

• Courtney says:

Omg! I agree! I was so worried

• HaMo says:

Ohhh Dear God, what a relief.. I was worried too ❤️ I simply love the serie, but I live in Denmark, where the serie isn’t popular, so I have to watch it om the internet.. I don’t know what to do when it ends 😭😪😔😣

2. rebecca says:

When I first heard the Rachel Bilson was pregnant, I thought maybe they’d do a flash forward on the last episode to Zoe being pregnant in the future, but I love that they actually wrote the pregnancy in! This show just makes me smile.

• Boiler says:

Rebecca your last sentence says it all…the show makes you smile. That is why it would be a shame if it was done after this year

3. Jurbd says:

By far the best episode of Hart of Dixie!!! The right amount of emotional scenes mixed with the right amount of light hearted Bluebell-esque scenes! Amazing!!!

4. Cort says:

This episode just made me so happy. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

5. Bwhit says:

That was an awesome episode! I can’t wait to see the Bluebell way that Wade finds out. Once all the shock and relationship drama settles, I am so excited to see how Zoe and Wade deal with the pregnancy. No matter what happens with Lemon, I just want George and Lavon to be buddies again.

6. ashley says:

“heterosexual tomfoolery” made me laugh.

7. I have a question : on january 9th will they re-run this episode or will they air the second one ?

8. Melosm says:

Gosh, I love this show. 10 episodes is not enough!!

9. Celesta Ham says:

This show is a real feel good shoe it makes you smile,laugh,and cry..Luv the way you handled the pregnancy and tonites show was great lovin the new twists….Please don’t let them cancel this show its the best on the cw..AWESOME JOB

10. Cindy says:

Wow – guess that answers the “Blind Item” awhile back.

• CC says:

I don’t think this is the Blind Item because it has been announced for a while and I’m sure by TVLine that they were writing Rachel’s pregnancy into the show – I think the Blind Item of a main character getting pregnant is for another show :)

• Jess says:

Yeah, the blind item is for Mindy Lahiri on The Mindy Project. :)

• Mel says:

Is The CW one of the big network Ausiello referred to?
      “Bonus clues: The series in question airs on one of the Big 5 broadcast networks (i.e. not cable), and it has been around for more than two but fewer than six seasons.”

11. Cass says:

I’m so over watching Lavon and George fight over Lemon. Seriously, why would they both fall for her again and at the same time? AB is all sorts of amazing, and I really wanted Lavon to come to the realization that he gave up a great woman, but with this new sad development, AB is just way too good for him.

12. Sutton says:

Love this show! The CW doesn’t really factor in DVR ratings so everyone watch it live so we can get a fifth season!!!

13. Rebecca Z says:

Yay! Loved it but seemed a little rushed, I guess you have to do that when your actress is pregnant! Really wondering how Wade will find out and how he will take it! If Lemon falls for Lavon, would AB and GT be too weird?

• TG says:

I think AB will end up with George while Lemon will choose Lavon. Happy ending for all, especially Zoe and Wade. Loved it tonight! So happy HOD is back!

14. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Happy the show is back. Can’t wait for more new episodes in January!

15. Awesome episode…Zoe and Wade both admitted their love…both said they were sorry for hurting each other…and God bless Earl for his continued support. Now Zoe and Wade have to work out their trust issues and concentrate on being good parents. Thank you Leila…this makes up for S3. Hope we get a S5.

• Kristen says:

I loved this episode. After the dry spell that was season 3, it was so great to finally see Zoe and Wade interact again. I know they had to rush their storyline, but I am just so happy we get Zade again 😊 it’s about time 😄 had missed them so much!

16. Jill says:

I really enjoyed this episode from the idyllic first scene of the Bluebell town square with Leila Gerstein and her daughter strolling through to end scene Zoe’s freakout in bed after learning she’s pregnant. It had heartfelt moments (Zoe and Wade’s serious talk), slapstick moments(the whole firefighter training story line), trick editing (Lavon & George at the bar talking to Wade), and another of Sergeant Jeffries many ailments. I thought I knew what was going to happen after all the promos and teasers we’ve gotten, but even knowing all the big things, the story still managed to surprise me, and leave me wondering, “What’s Wade going to say?’ The production team is well on its way to righting all the wrongs of Season 3.

• Kristen says:

Totally agree! Weathering through Joel and Zoe’s cousin was brutal last year, but one episode into season 4 and all that is forgotten😊 I just hope it’s enough to save a 5th season but if not, at least we get these 10 episodes!

• I agree…I’m looking forward to the next episode with great anticipation…last year I dreaded each episode because it focused on the boring Joel storyline. HOD is back on track with the characters we love to love. Thank goodness.

17. Delores Pauldo says:

The creator should have told you all the truth about this pregnancy story line. Rachel didn’t suppose to get that part. It was given to her like everything else. You people are stupid to believe in that show. Wade didn’t want to be with her and he said so. Being pregnant and not telling him just like in real life she didn’t tell nobody. Bad way to tell that you are Pregnant in real life.

• Lizard says:

Wade surely enough confessed to Zoe that he still IS IN LOVE WITH HER on last nights episode. He has trust issues with her because Zoe broke his heart as well! I couldn’t really believe it when he was expressing himself it really brought me up to perspective on how WADE truly feels about ZOE after dating Vivian Wilkes, Zoe’s cousin. I really thought Wade was over Zoe forgotten about those three magic words (I LOVE YOU, ZOE HART). Rachel Bilson is a phenomenal actress and for her to involve her pregnancy to be apart of a show is really nice. Leila Gerstein is a very creative writer and very well can’t give everything away so fast especially in Season 3 that’s why it played out the way it did. Yes we dragged through it but it was well worth it because Wade did alot of growing up! He even had hands on training with being a Step-Dad to his ex girl Vivian Wilkes. Zoe is scared and I bet alot is going through her mind about being pregnant with Wade’s baby I truly hated her reaction when Wade was at the door telling her let’s have dinner and she totally shuts him out :-( I am so looking forward to the second episode.

18. Carla Krae says:

I used to like this show…..now I’m kind of hate-watching it. They’ve made George and Lavon idiots, Wade and Zoe is totally forced…… I’m watching for AnnaBeth.

• Lizard says:

This show is amazing maybe you feel hate watching it because of how it’s playing out for Zoe and Wade the hesitation of starting their Love again and the reasons why they are hesitating. That has to be explained because no one really jumps into a relationship with an ex that cheated on you or an ex that came back with another boyfriend after you told them you LOVED them. These are real life situations and it’s really bringing a lot of things into cue. I know that Lavon and George seem real goofy but it’s because of this one woman LEMON. Lemon is so Southern and has value and kindness and respect. Why George is pining over Lemon again is really perplexing me I really started finding George having feeling for her back in Season 3 amazing and fresh. It made me feel for their relationship because of the 15 years they were together. When they separated it was for a good reason they needed a lot of growing up to do. And quite frankly they have Lemon has changed beyond the old season 1 Lemon she began doing everything on her own without her fathers help trying to on that path mend her heart and try to find at least someone to aide her. But nevertheless she somehow gave up on Love and focused more on herself the cruise she was on was nothing but to satisfy her grandmother and her pokey nose that’s always sniveled in Lemon’s life. George dated…. and dated and found Tansy Truit I believe George was headed in the right direction when he found Tansy but Tansy wasn’t patient enough to wait for George and her relationship to be much more stronger and meant more before she up and left bluebell and started dating Scooter Mcgreevy. There’s so much apart of this show some many in’s and out’s it’s really turning out to be a GREAT show with a lot of comedy and LOVE I just hope they include Rose, Burt Reynolds!!!! and finally really mend those holes in other characters stories which I’ve read is going to happen. So sit tight don’t just give up on DIXIE yet!

19. Leonie1988 says:

I rated it B, because it didn’t have enough AB in it. And I find George and Lavon to be ridiculous. That George loves Lemon isn’t random, they built up to it, but Lavon? There was hardly any indication.
    But I loved how AB supported Cricket (she has a date!) and Zoe was not as annoying as normal. Good development! Though she should have pulled him into her house and told him about her pregnancy. But I guess we wouldn’t have a show anymore if she had done that. She has to process it herself first I guess.

20. Calliope says:

So…if episode 3 answers how Wade responds to Zoe’s pregnancy AND answers where Lemon’s heart lies…what exactly does episode 2 do? O_o

• Alice says:

Zoe freaking out about her pregnancy and her future, Lemon and AB trying to find out who is pregnant, Wade probably being the last person in Bluebell to find out, Lemon’s fake relationship getting busted

21. Katherine215 says:

I love this show so freaking much. I started smiling from the first moment it started and didn’t stop until it was over. And then I rewatched some of my favorite parts and smiled all over again. I can’t wait to see how Zoe and Wade process having a baby together. Zoe was great in this episode, not nearly has zainy and high-pitched as she often is, and I love her this way. I don’t mind crazy Zoe, but it’s nice to see some balance. I’m excited to see who ends up with whom. I was hoping for George/Tansy, but it sounds like Tansy isn’t for him. I could see George and AB. If it’s Lemon/Lavon, I really want to see them fall in love since we haven’t seen much of them together romantically since early season 1.

22. Gerri says:

No one is asking if this is the last season? It would be a shame, but if they know now I hope they wrap it up with a neat little bow. Guess it depends on the ratings.
    As for the pregnancy. When she thought to seduce Wade did she forget she was off the pill? or they not use a condom. Still a funny realization. (p.s. WHY would she just leave her bloodwork on the counter for AnnaBeth to sneak a peak at, even if she thought it was Lemon’s)

23. Eimear says:

Seriously, what is with Zoe and the leopard print outfits????

24. Brian Reed says:

Its an awesome for those breasts. Damn she looks good.

25. Mandy says:

If you start from the beginning of the show you’ll find that Zoe and George were meant to be together. They’re perfect for each other but they just have very bad timing. The series was suppose to end with Zoe and George finally getting together! Wade was suppose to be a distraction for Zoe. Wade cheated on Zoe!!! Cheating is end game. They both can’t trust each other. Now that the show is ending the creators want to cater to the fans which majority feel that Zoe and Wade should be together– this is bull poo poo. I want Zoe to be with George!

• In S1 Zoe and George flirted but he was engaged to Lemon. Then Wade came into the picture and his fun/sexy banter with Zoe showed off their chemistry and their attraction. Now, Zoe is pregnant with Wade’s baby…so there will never be a “Zorge”…please get over it.

26. PG says:

My sincerest compliments to the cast. They did an amazing job. Must have been tough to put together an entire episode without a script to follow. Adlibbing isn’t easy, we all know that.

The unborn child, poor thing. What a romantic way to conceive it. The mother barging in with a pack of beer, far too make-up on, and… no, I’m not going there, and the father making clear that it’s just meaningless sex, looking deeply into the said mother’s ey… breasts. Wade has changed so much that he’s circled around to being the same old Wade he’s always been. He can resist an ILY, but he can’t resist a… what’s the word… an intercourse, now can he?

Zoe wants to prove that she’s serious by being absurd, and a little slutty too. It’s a strategy, might even work. She would make an excellent out-of-the-box thinker, if only she could think. Naturally, when you’re in love with a man you think you belong with, and he’s the father of your unborn child, and he’s just told you that he loves you back, well, naturally you tell him to piss off. Who wouldn’t do that? It’s the law, in some countries.

Wade suffers from a severe case of memory loss. Not only did he forget that, despite his wrecked heart and the new boyfriend, he was more than eager to be with Zoe when she came back to Bluebell, he also forgot that he wasn’t adjusting to the idea of her being gone forever at all. He (and Lavon as well) was totally counting on her coming back. That’s the very first thing he told her, “Hey, doc, figured you’d be back”. He also forgot that “I can’t trust you” was Zoe’s line, not his. No, wait, they were adlibbing, I’m forgetting things too. And a lot of people seem to have forgotten that between S2 and S4 there was S3, 22 episodes of it.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out whose heart is wrecked at the moment. Wade’s after whatever happened to Gerstein’s narrative vein (and the script), Zoe’s after Wade’s rejection or Wade’s after Zoe’s… what was that? Right, after Zoe’s attempt at figuring out how to be a grown up.

27. Jerene says:

I love watching Hart of Dixie. It’s a real feel good show. I love all the characters. I’ve always wanted to see Wade and Zoe together. I just LOVE THIS SHOW, PLEASE DON’T LET THIS BE THE LAST SESSION.

• PG says:

You sure you want a season 5? You might find out that Wade was in a roll and impregnated a bunch of other girls during the two-month time jump. I wouldn’t put it past the “creator” to go there. In this show, the central couple can’t be normal and happy – or even a couple – for more than 10-15 minutes, so something bad would have to happen to break them up or something. Just think about it.

28. Zoe was supposed to end up with George. That’s why I watched the show. They have better chemistry.

29. mandi says:

I love this show and I like wade and Zoe together

30. I can’t believe that Zoe is pregnant this season is going to be full pact with drama.

31. This season is going to be full packed with drama of course of which I love!

32. Cindy Lampton says:

I have gone on Netflix and watched the first 3 seasons. I love all the characters, but as a Christian, I certainly don’t particularly like all the sexual overtones. I like Zoe and whomever she likes at the time liking each other, but I find it distasteful to have sex flung into all the dialogue. A lot of people I surmise possibly enjoy the show, but wish it was not so ‘in our faces’ with the sex stuff. Please consider that you can keep the characters individual personalities, but please tone that part down. And No Cricket coming out of the closet. Not happy about that. Overall, other than those 2 very big points, I enjoy the interaction with the people. Lemon is definitely my favorite, hands down.

33. Autum says:

I wanted Zoe and George end up together. That was the original goal of the series even if they gave them 1 night no one knows about and the baby could be his.

34. Crystal Summers says:

I love this show!!! I’m hoping for divine. Intervention and they continue with more seasons.

35. Lauren says:

I’m so confused. How did zoe do a blood test of herself and it say lemon on it? I don’t know if I wasn’t paying attention but can someone please explain.

36. verycherry says:

I think they went over the top this season. Where is the romance with the couples? They have Lavon and George trying to win Lemon like two school boys. I want to see Lavon acting like a mayor again and George acting like a lawyer again. The writers have screwed everything up. They need some of us to write the scripts for them.

37. dee herriman says:

why do you have to have a show on with gay people why can’t you just have straight people. it’s like you’re trying to cram these people down our throats. its not accepted as much as you think. and this is talking smart about TV. don’t get mad its just a comment, and I’m not the only one that feels this way.

38. tstep says:

I love this show and i don’t understand why they canceled it. It was one of the more wholesome shows on tv. I guess if nobodys running around naked, killed somebody, having an affair it isn’t worth renewing for another season.