Newsroom Series Finale Recap: The Man of La Mancha Takes a Bow

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Sunday’s series finale of The Newsroom.

Will McAvoy’s quixotic mission to civilize comes to an end in the series finale of The Newsroom, so it’s only fitting for the series to look back on how much progress the News Night anchor has made — as a journalist and a human being — in the four years since we first met him.

Verdict: Goodness gracious, what a complete ass he was when this whole thing started, eh?

The flashback-heavy episode, framed by Charlie’s funeral, illuminates the path that led Mac to accept the News Night executive producer gig and — in true Aaron Sorkin fashion — ties up every loose end for every major character, then dumps a suffocating layer of schmaltz over the entire affair.

Some parts (like Don and Sloan’s passing of blame about who pushed Charlie over the edge) were laugh-out-loud funny. Others (like that garage hootenanny) were ridiculous. Read on as I review how it all wraps up — and make sure to grade the episode and the season at the bottom of the post!

WILL MCAVOY LASSOS STORK! | We open with Charlie’s funeral, with everyone except Mac singing and looking somber. She’s outside on the phone with her doctor, learning that she’s pregnant — a fact she immediately shares with Will upon returning to the service. The news makes Will remember back to 2010, when he was a boorish jerk who didn’t even know Maggie’s name. In the flashback, Charlie and Will go out for drinks; the older man chastises Will for making his show, though highly rated, a huge snoozefest. Then, he tells Will he should think about having kids someday: “Being a father: It lives up to the hype.” The grin on McAvoy’s face when we cut back to the service is sweet, especially among all the sorrow.The Newsroom Series Finale Recap

IN WHICH MAC’S FUTURE IS DECIDED FOR HER | After the service ends, Mac barely has time to tell Will she’s seven weeks along before Leona pulls her into Lucas Pruit’s limo for the ride to the cemetery. While Mac looks on in confusion as to why she’s there, Leona outlines Pruit’s latest public image crisis: In the past few days, there have been articles on income disparity between men and women at one of his other companies (a soft drink brand called Kwench, to which Leona dry notes, “You know that’s not how you spell that word.” Ha!) and on how he hired hookers (though he calls them “models”) to appear at his 35th birthday party.

The ride goes like this: Pruit says something douchey, Leona says something zingy, Mac looks on like a cocker spaniel whose tennis ball just rolled under the couch. Repeat a few times. Meanwhile, other flashbacks show us Charlie recruiting a depressed Mac while she’s doing some serious mid-day bowling and drinking. She’s been stabbed while in a war zone, she’s got a job lined up as the EP of a Chew-like daytime talk show, and she’s in serious need of a shower but Charlie thinks she and Will will spur each other to greatness, despite the fact that McAvoy seems to hate her to her very core. After Will’s explosion at the college speaking gig, Mac’s on board — and she recruits Jim to come to ACN with her.

THE DAWN OF SLOAN-DON | Meanwhile, Don and Sloan spend the ride to the boneyard relating Charlie’s last moments to Will. Sloan looks really remorseful as she recounts her takedown of the ACNgage guy, but then adds, “”But there’s another part of the story that Don’s going to tell you about that strongly suggests it was him and not me that precipitated the death of our very close friend and leader. Do you want to hear Don tell you that part of the story?” Heh. Time for more flashbacks! Short version: Sloan and Don met in 2010, but they didn’t care much for each other. She eventually like-liked him, but didn’t pursue anything because she saw him kissing Maggie.

And Mags? In the present day, she’s offered an opportunity to interview for a field-producer spot in the network’s Washington, D.C. bureau. Jim’s on board; he’s actually the one who recommended her for the position. But does he want her to go because he believes in her or because he’s trying to put space between them, three mere days after their hook-up on the flight to Havana? More on that in a minute.

PRUIT LEANS IN | The gathering after Charlie’s burial provides Leona more opportunity to school Pruit on how to be a badass CEO (AKA how to get the public to forget that you are a vile individual). She tells him to hire a news director who’ll fight with him every day; that way, he’ll ensure that he’s got a quality news operation instead of the dreck he hypes up 24/7. Mac still doesn’t get what’s going down, but don’t worry, mama: Your husband’s about to make the situation clear to everyone in attendance.

“The new president of ACN is MacKenzie McHale,” he broadcasts, and — wait a minute. Did I miss the part where ANYONE INVOLVED IN THIS DECISION ASKED MAC IF SHE EVEN WANTED THE JOB? Oy, Sorkin.

But wait, that’s not even the most absurd thing that takes place at the event! Will finds Charlie’s teenage grandson, who was mentioned during one of the flashbacks as being a musical savant. The kid is upset and noodling around in his tricked-out garage rehearsal space, so Will picks up a guitar and starts playing “That’s How I Got to Memphis,” with the boy — and oh look, Jim’s here on backup guitar and harmony! Then Gary CooperNotThatOne arrives to play percussion alongside Charlie’s younger grandson, who’s nodding his head like it’s all happening, man, annnnnnd I’m out. Too much, Sorkin. Too much. (If you liked this scene, hit the comments and tell me why I’m wrong.)

ALL’S WELL THAT… | So with Mac’s pregnancy basically out in the open, thanks to an un-slick Will, and her in Charlie’s old post, Mac promotes Jim to EP of News Night. (She’d wanted Don, but he wants to stay with the 10 pm hour.) “I won’t let you down,” Harper promises his boss, who replies, “You never have.” (Clearly she’s forgotten about the whole Mitt Romney interview debacle.)

Jim nearly trips over himself running out to the newsroom to offer the News Night senior producer gig to Maggie… who turns it down, because “I want to be a field producer. It’s D.C. I want to be in line for the White House.” They dance around what this all means, both finally admitting that their new thing is much more than a hook-up. Mags asks Jim about the success rate of his previous long-distance relationships, and he says they all failed. “Why is this different?” she wonders. “I wasn’t in love with them,” he says. To reiterate a point I made last episode: Maggie and Jim’s story is sweet… but too little, too late on this one, Newsroom.

Who else needs resolution. Ah, Neal. He’s back in the ACN newsroom, shutting down the ACNgage guy Sloan ate for lunch in the last episode and telling his team they’re going to completely rebuild the network’s site.

And Sloan and Don? Well, they’re Sloan and Don. They’ll be fine. He even gives her the bow tie Charlie’s wife gave Don. I bring them up mainly to praise, one last time Olivia Munn’s brilliance as Sloan Sabbith. She was great before the series paired her with Thomas Sadoski’s Don; after, they were electric together. Sloan, I’ll miss you the most.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the finale? How about the season on the whole? Grade both via the polls below, then hit the comments to elaborate!

1. Gabriel Anthony says:

Jeff Daniels submited “Election Night part II ” and got an Emmy nomination. If he submits THIS episodes, he night evento win. What a great actor, and what a awesome series final e (despite Jim)

2. Madz says:

I liked singing scene because the song “How I Got to Memphis” mirrors Will and Mac’s relationship

3. Lauren says:

A fitting end to a spectacular show and end of the Sorkin TV era.

• Blind_leading_the_blind says:

An era when it’s OK to base 3/4 episodes on leaked documents and take the moral high ground, but in real life declare it’s ‘morally treasonous and spectacularly dishonorable.’

• It didn’t take any such ‘moral high ground’ on the subject of leaking documents of national security though. The high ground they took was on journalistic integrity where one of the most important elements is never to reveal a source without the sources express permission but which are the kind of journalistic integrity that’s being degraded both by governmental abuse and the race to the bottom that news organisations seem to almost all be engaged in in an attempt to attract eyes.

And the story the leaked documents focused on wasn’t even a national security issue, its about a PR company whose actions caused unnecessary distress, turmoil and death which was then covered up so they faded no consequences. When it came to a national security issue (Snowden) Sorkins own views were made clear about his actions when it came to national security leaks as they had Jim express them

4. Michael says:

What was the importance of the tie Charlie left for Don?

5. Elsa says:

I loved loved loved the finale.
    And yes, I liked the scene in the garage because of the meaning of the song, as explained in an earlier scene. They finally all got to where they were supposed to be.
    I cried a little during Will’s speech at the end. Newsroom, I will miss you.

6. G. says:

I’m on the fence about the garage scene … but the fact that no one asked McKenzie if she wanted the job or not is pretty classic Sorkin. He fails the Bechdel test in his own unique ways from time to time. It is cute, when it is not something that causes me to roll my eyes.

Very glad to be rid of Maggie and Jim and their storyline. I thought it was odd that Neal’s scenes involved no other cast members … was it done solo? Two months ago? It really stood out for me, in a bad way.

I’ll definitely miss Charlie. And Jane Fonda. And how intelligently Sorkin is able to put issues forth for discussion, whether I agree with his viewpoints or not. But I still think The Newsroom is proof of why Sorkin needs handlers — nay, collaborators (a la Tommy Schlamme) — to make TV that will sit in the Greatest Shows of All Time pantheon. I’m sad it’s over, and I’m glad it’s over.

I thank Mr. Sorkin greatly for his work … and I hope the next show he writes is better than this. Talk about ambivalence.

• Benington says:

I do not disagree that Tommy Schlamme is an asset to any production that he is involved in. But the show from day one has been beautifully, intelligently and eloquently written from beginning to end. My God, please get off your high horse and accept that no piece of writing and dialogue is without criticism if you are looking for it… and enjoy.

• Trevor says:

I have to say, that wasn’t really a matter of Sorkin disrespecting the a female character. It reminded me of The West Wing, when Will (a man) was officially hired to the White House, and they told him at his informal induction ceremony, rather than actually offering him the job.

7. Tom says:

The garage scene nearly had me crying

8. pARA says:

I FEEL THE FIRST 3 EPS ARE SO MUCH BETTER AND THE LAST 3. BUT LOVED THE SHOW, WILL KEEP WATCHING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

9. Tom says:

And seriously, this episode just has me wanting more. This can’t be the end. Granted I don’t, for some reason, care that much about Matt Santos’ presidency, but I DO want to see this new lineup in action. I want to see Mac fighting with Ryan. I want to see Maggie take DC by storm. I want to see Jim fill Mac’s shoes, and Neal take the digital side to new heights.

And FSM damn it, I still want to know about the death threats and such from season 1. RESOLUTION! Come on Sorkin, give us more!

10. Judy says:

I loved it and am quite sad it is over.

11. Paul Waas says:

I still don’t get why the tie was given to Sloan?

• MA says:

I think because, in the end, she was the one of the two of them most affected by Charlie’s death. It hit her the hardest because she blamed herself. So Don gave her the tie to say the same thing to her Nancy said to him: Charlie loved you and was proud of you and was thrilled you stood up to him.

12. Kyle says:

I must say in a matter of only three short seasons this show has made me fall in love with the writing, characters, and everything. Not many shows can do that now-a-days. Such an amazing end to an amazing series. The cast is just incredible which made the show even better than it was. Also, one of the best series finales recently, just in the fact that it tied everything up, mirrored the series with flashbacks which I thought were brilliant, and also made us happy and not going “really that’s it?!” like in most shows this TV season (True Blood). I will not be afraid to admit that I did cried at almost every moment. The last scene was perfect! “Good Evening!” We will miss you, Newsroom!

13. Deborah says:

Quality, thought provoking television will be missing with the loss of the series. Cast was exceptional! The character development and professional and personal growth was such a pleasure to watch! Very short sighted of HBO to end such a wonderfully delightful show! Would have thought HBO possessed more courage and vision in programming! Would have loved to see how the writers tackled some of the current issues in the news!

14. ronnie says:

The Garage scene goes back to Will and Charlie’s early meeting where he said he was a more than just a newsman. And the song was reflective of his relationship with Mac. Also, it was used as a reflection of what kind of Dad Will would be, since we will never get to see those scenes. And as for the bow tie, if you don’t understand the symbolism of it, then you never understood Charlie’s character.

15. denise says:

Loved this show, so sorry it’s over.

16. Donna Halper says:

Kimberly, you ARE wrong about the “That’s How I Got to Memphis” scene. First, Jeff Daniels has a very convincing way with a song– I recall his version of “Alabammy Bound” in Purple Rose of Cairo. But in this case, the scene works because these are characters who often can’t say what they mean, or who say the wrong thing. Music provides a way for them to communicate those feelings. Earlier in the show, we were told something about the symbolism of this song, which Charlie Skinner was playing (in a flashback to 2010); “Memphis” represents finding yourself, finding the right place, being where you’re supposed to be, even if you realize you should have tried to get there sooner.

At that moment, Will McAvoy, who had begun the series as an arrogant jerk, is where he is supposed to be, even if it took him a while: he is now able to show some compassion and reach out to Charlie’s grandsons in a way that matters to them– through music. But the song also touches a chord with others at Charlie’s funeral, who are looking for some respite from the sadness of missing him. Charlie’s Memphis was the newsroom and ACN. Will is going to carry on the good fight, but he is also finding ways to express concern for others, rather than just focusing on himself. I thought it was a very effective (and affectionate) scene. (And in spite of its well-documented faults, I am going to miss “The Newsroom.”)

• rowan77 says:

Maybe I’m wrong but Kimberly also seemed to have a problem with Charlie’s grandson getting into jamming with Will, Jim & Gary. And about that I respectfully disagree with her. It was established that the grandson’s ability to play any instrument within a day showed not only talent, but a love of music. Anyone who plays because they love it (as opposed to getting chicks/being able to say they have a band/fame/etc) will jam with anyone who can bring something to the table. It doesn’t matter how old someone is, if they can play or sing – or both – it’s great fun. So I bought that people who love music and can play or sing very well joining in and singing. Those are the types of people I know.

I also had a problem with Mac not seeming to have a say (I know it was done for effect – surprise! – but it doesn’t come off quite as well as Sorkin imagined, I think. And like I said last week, we’re about a year too late for us to care about Jim and Maggie’s relationship.

Schmaltz and all, I enjoyed the episode. And I still want Sorkin to have a Don and Sloan Sunday Brunch web-series.

• I agree I come from a music loving family and at events like this the easiest thing to do is for someone to get out the guitar and everyone start jamming. For people like the grandson and Will who love music, this is there way of being supportive and eltting out emotions.

• Gwen says:

Very well said, Donna! Yes, “The Newsroom” had its faults, but it is still one of the most intelligently-written shows on television, especially when compared to the dreck that passes for “drama” on other shows. I thought the garage/music scene was perfect and not at all out of place in the story. I will miss “The Newsroom” very much. Congratulations to all involved in making it.

• Colleen Lee says:

I agree with you Donna the garage scene was important as Charlie Skinner said re his grandson. Memphis is finding yourself or finding the right place to be and as Charlie said of his grandson MEMPHIS is where you should be , and a boy from CT can be there and love Country music. It gives the entire cast a time to unwind and see the good in it all. Yes, we are not idiots we can assume that jobs are offered we do not like undergrads need all things spelled out to us.

I loved the NEWSROOM like I loves THE WEST WING to me Sorkin is an amazing film maker.

I will never forget the song re MEMPHIS to me it meant my daughter who is far away she is my MEMPHIS<

17. cindy says:

Olivia Munn was AMAZING as Sloan. She inhabited her role. Disagree with the author on the ‘schmaltz.’ It was the perfect ending. Love the characters! Love the writing! Love the acting! Love it all! Aaron, please don’t leave television…..

18. MA says:

I don’t know…I’ve loved this show since the start, but this felt really rushed to me. Plus, other than Don and maybe Maggie, no one seemed excited to do the news. I felt sad that Mac was taking over a thankless job just because Pruitt needed better PR, even though I agree with Will that it doesn’t matter and you don’t turn that down. But she had to give up a job she loved to do it. And I didn’t buy Pruitt’s turn-around. A couple of days before, he wanted to fire Mac. And what relationship does he have with Leona that she has pull with him? That said, I liked the garage scene because the song was about Will and Mackenzie more than anything, though it seems odd she didn’t hear it. (At least, I didn’t see her in there.) I liked the flashbacks and all things Don/Sloan and Neal’s smack-down of Bree and company. I think this could have worked fine if it had been longer.
    ***
    Also, I’ve never had a single issue with the feminism or female characters or anything like that on this show, but I raised an eyebrow that Pruitt didn’t actually offer Mac the job, and instead told her husband to announce it. I know Sorkin was going for a surprise there, but…I didn’t like it.

• night pa says:

just to add to the last bit of your comment… I agree I didn’t like it either and I’ll add I didn’t like the way Jim just told Maggie flatly to cancel the interview and just stay here because I’m hiring you… the way he did it was such an I’m the man I’ll make the decisions manner… as opposed to having an honest discussion about what she really wants as he’s now in a new position.

19. phil coates says:

Like so many critics today, you apparently have a problem with romantic idealism and sentimentality. You neither understand nor like it.That is shown by your failure to grasp why what you belittlingly called the garage hootenanny worked and made dramatic and idealistic sense.

20. Ryan Paulish says:

The music scene in the garage is awesome in my opinion: and here’s why. Earlier in the episode, Charlie is talking to Will (I believe, i am not too sure on this on the fact i am studying for finals, had to make rom for the finale though) and he makes a comment saying that he showed the grandson Bo the song, and how he said that the song is not describing going to Memphis, but saying the wherever you are it was meant to be (or something along those lines, again-a college student). So as Will started playing the song, you can see Bo recall the song, and forget about those questions he was asking Will about Charlie like: Did he feel pain when he died. And Bo realized that this is where he needed to be. You can not look at the Jim hopping in as a the reason why you hate this scene. I found it very moving. Also, if Charlie showed Will the song and he took the time to learn it, maybe, just maybe, Charlie showed many more people the song and it touched them just as it did to Will and Bo, so that can possibly explain all of them joining in on the song like Will and Bo were street performers. Overall, i thought this episode was very good. After all, after watching the Dexter series finale nothing can ever be as bad as that. I Give this episode an overall 8/10. One thing i would change, however, is when at the end of the entire episode, instead of Will saying “Good Evening,” I would have much preferred him to say “Good Evening, I’m Will McAvoy”

• CountryQueen says:

Regarding the last words. I think that was to demonstrate that Will is no longer just thinking about himself. At the start of the series he was a self-obsessed jerk who only cared about ratings. Now, he cares about his team and the product they are putting out.

21. Viv says:

I thought the garage scene was great. It was a nice moment and they did something like it back in season 1 so it didn´t bother me at all.
    I didn´t get the tie thing either. It somehow felt like there was a flashback missing that would have explained it. But okay…

All in all I was pretty happy with this finale. I will really miss this series. It was one of the few series I was always excited about. And if it only was for this brilliant, brilliant cast.

22. Emily says:

I love reading your recaps Kimberly! You’re honest and funny, but you’re also not afraid to criticize, which is a nice change. Thanks for the great coverage!

23. Jeff H says:

I really enjoyed the finale and even teared up a couple of time. I agree that there were a couple of scenes that were a little too much (such as Mac not understanding what was going on in the conversations and not being asked if she wanted the job) BUT I disagree with your assessment of the music scene. It thought it was fitting and appropriate. First, there have been several mentions of Will playing the guitar in the series. Second, it was a good tie-in to the history of Will & Charlie, Will’s impending fatherhood, and him being htere for Charlies grandsons. Thind, I have been to many occasions where people with musical talent and the presence of instraments leads to playing & singing songs – and yes, even at post funeral gatherings.

So yes, I liked the scene very much (plus I have always liked that song).

24. E. Lake says:

It was Brilliant.
    It was “Must see TV” that made you question and think.
    It will be sorely missed.
    It created my favorite emotion…
    Laughter through tears.
    And Who knew,
    “It’s how I got to Memphis.”

• jtbyheart says:

I love your comments, E. Lake….they show that you “get it”, insofar as knowing the brilliance, the heart, and the talent of Aaron Sorkin ~ unlike his critics! I agree with you wholeheartedly….although I must admit that the “punster” in me laughed at the one line you wrote, thinking I would have written: “It will be ‘Sorkinly’ missed!!” And miss it, I “Will”!! (Pun you twice, shame on me!). It’s always great to discover that there is someone else like-minded ~ you and I “get” the real Aaron Sorkin, and I will miss him and the show as much as I already miss his ‘Newsroom’ characters!! Doesn’t it feel as though we lost some friends last Sunday night??! But then, that’s why DVD Libraries are created, and why/how Sorkin is SO GOOD!!!

25. Ann McKee says:

I loved it all, Charlie passing broke my heart, but no one lives forever no matter how bad it hurts. I had full trust in Aaron sealing the deal by letting everyone’s story have it’s beginning, middle, and end. Jeff Daniel Is a wonderful singer and instrumentalist and I believe the session in the garage was fitting, Charlie’s grandson who he said was a savant with instruments and his best friends singing him away to the next life! Perfect, plain and simple.

26. BBussey says:

Why is it that most reviewers these days can’t review something without throwing in snark remarks to show how clever they are, instead of simply reviewing the episode with some structured exposition backing up the analysis? The episode was extremely well-written. The garage scene was not “hootenanny” and worked because it was properly staged earlier in the episode, and it served to convey a message not easily spoken (as someone pointed out in an earlier post)

Why would one watch (or critique) a Sorkin show and not be willing to give it his/her full undivided attention? Because you can’t watch an episode of a Sorkin show casually and expect to pick up all or even most of what occurred during the episode. And this review is written as if the reviewer didn’t give it her full undivided attention.

27. It wasn’t what I was expecting with
    all those flashbacks, and I would’ve
    liked a lengthier & more traditional
    eulogy of Will’s mentor Charlie. But
    after reading comments below, I am
    impressed how this show wrapped up
    and the themes of resolution.
    Memphis song w/kids a nice touch, Daniels has played guitar in past.
    I was a pretty big fan of this news show
    especially with all the crap on cable tv.
    I wish it had been on longer…in an era of
    some questionable series endings, I give
    Newsroom an A-.

28. Khaatim says:

sloan reminds me of a female Josh Lyman, who was my favorite West Wing Character, along with Charlie.

29. Hannah says:

I will indeed miss Sloan the most as well. Bravo Olivia Munn for a great run on the series.

The whole cast is exceptional. I will miss this show.

• cuius says:

Let’s hope Olivia Munn can use this as a platform to a new show, and leave behind some of her more “exotic” happenings

30. Dare I point out the irony of a misspelling in an article about journalists? I mean, really?

And I quote:

“The flashback-heavy episode, framed by Charlie’s funeral, illuminates the path that led Mac to accept the News Night executive producer gig and — in true Aaron Sorkin fashion — ties up every lose {sic} end for every major character, then dumps a suffocating layer of schmaltz over the entire affair.”

LOOSE. Not lose.

That said, what an absolutely fantastic series finale. Well done, Mr. Sorkin. Bravo.

“It is one thing to write as poet and another to write as a historian: the poet can recount or sing about things not as they were, but as they should have been, and the historian must write about them not as they should have been, but as they were, without adding or subtracting anything from the truth.” – Don Quixote

31. Donna Ferriola says:

I liked Newsroom, like Westwing, because of the dialogue between the characters. I loved all the couples and am so glad they tied everything up happily. I have to say Sloan and Don, besides Will and Mac. I would have liked Maggie and Jims love story to have started before the last season but at least they got together in the end. I also liked when they all jammed with Memphis because it lightened up a very depressing occasion that Charlie would have loved because he loved his grandsons and his Newsroom family.

32. Rico says:

Terrible shame critics were so steadfastly hard on this show. It really is a loss for the ever-dimming hope for intelligent, thoughtful, quality television. This was a great series that will be sorely missed.

33. Meredith says:

You don’t get scenes like the one in the garage because you are not a sentimental person. Or you just don’t get it because your brain does not function in that way. Either way it was an amazing show that will sorely be missed regardless of how much crap you talk

34. sia says:

I will miss this show tremendously. There are so little shows left with intelligence, quick wit and such superb acting.

35. Dan says:

Okay…here goes…you are WRONG sir. That is more to the heart of what actually happens when you are trying to get through to a child/grandchild who just lost their “Granpa”. You seem to not be very familiar with the fact that the root of a lot of good musical sessions are rooted in hopefully -temporary – misery, you break down that brick wall between you and someone you care about that is hurting any way you can. Whatever way you go about it is the right one – because – at its heart is a sincere attempt to extend to someone the reassurance that you are there for them. Keeping busy doing the very thing your Granpa bragged about your being good at is an excellent breakthrough opportunity for your misery to gain some first signs of perspective. It is where the flood of fond memories return. The roots of folk music, and a great many negro spirituals all come from the retelling of these types of moments. Again… you Sir, and that snivelling ass from the New York Times, are BOTH wrong. You are in full agreement with each others’ assessment, so, you are both smugly wrong.

• Agree to disagree. Also, if we’re going to be formal, it’s “ma’am.” — KR

• Tina Dowdall says:

To Madam Roots, What in the hell is agree to disagree supposed to mean ? You obviously do not actually read what people write and thus it is a waste of time replying to you at all. Sorry for mistakenly identifying you as male. I did not read the byline correctly. You wasted any of the lazy energy of your reply on that shoulder chip you enjoy carrying.

Dan

Sent from my iPad

36. j says:

Something that will forever bother me- The tech guys are making a list of overrated movies, and they include Gravity. The episode takes place in late June 2013, and Gravity didn’t come out until October. NERD RAGE.
    That being said: I liked it a lot and I thought it was a decent ending. However, having now seen the full 3rd season, I think season 2’s finale would have been a fine place to stop.

37. Solid enough finale. Not my favorite ever, and its hard to measure it against some of the other finales we’ve had (I definitely liked it more than Boardwalk Empire’s, that’s for sure). Still for a show that doesn’t really have a defined ending by default it worked fine. Just a shame most of the season felt a bit wasted.

38. Why Don't Writers Proofread? says:

The writer wrote “…Leona pulls her into Ray Pruit’s limo…” Who the hell is Ray Pruit? She can’t even keep the characters’ names straight? Kind of hard to take any criticisms seriously after that.

39. it was perfect.
    i’m gonna miss this show SO MUCH.

40. I loved the series and even the admitingly hokey guitar session. Plus I love Sorkin flashbacks. Plus the title of the episode What sort Of Day Has It Been originality! Ok so he did use it for every series he did, still a cool title for an episode.

41. So, exactly who played Bo in the garage scene? I don’t see any credit for him…although IMDB does credit his brother Ned…..??

42. Patricia Gardner says:

I loved the show for so many reasons, too many to name – loved seeing the news done right; loved the depiction of a rational, reasonable republican; nice to know that other people recognize the crap passed off as news nowadays; etc., etc., etc. I liked the music scene. I don’t read too much into it. The kid was hurting, Will was trying to help him feel better and that scene showed the kid that his grandfather was proud of him and talked about him and that Will listened and cared. I can say, from personal experience, that little things like that make a big impact in times like that. So, I liked it. Plus, it introduced me to a song I had never heard but fell in love with.

43. The garage scene sealed this episode as one of my favorite finales. Was it a little bit corny, yes. But that’s what finales are all about and it is hard to find one without a little corn. Through the life of a series we get to know characters and fall in love with them and like everything wrapped up with a pretty bow and I thought will being a sweet guy and stepping in for Charlie as a new friend/grandfather was sweet and showed his growth as a person and it also echoed his relationship with Mac (I see how one could see this as forced just to give john gallagher jr. a reason to sing and play the guitar sort of just like the moment with Katherine McPhee on Scorpion. My final thoughts, I loved how Sorkin the last 2 minutes were.

44. eric says:

Does anyone know who the actor is that played Charlie Skinner’s grandson that plays the double bass? Looks familiar

45. Julio says:

I want a Sloan Sabbith spin off series, now.

46. C. says:

So bummed that it’s over. My husband, 20 year old son and I loved, loved, loved the show and each week/hiatus couldn’t wait for the next one. Will likely cancel HBO now as it was the only must-see program in its entire lineup.

47. Phil says:

Newsroom:
    Best series I have ever watched. Sorkin is Ian incredibly good writer. All of the characters were spot on.

48. Tom says:

Really liked song that was sung in garage scene. Thought it portrayed the journey everyone in the newsroom has experienced.

49. Coal. says:

Thank you Sorkin. Tv is like fashion, meaning it goes through various trends, currently the popular form of story telling is sensationalism and melodrama so the brilliance of your writing was lost on so-called entertainment journalists and critics. I doubt even if The West Wing had started now it would have been met with critical acclaim. To quote Neil, to anyone who thought this show was terrible in particular the first season “you embarrass me”. *drops mic”

50. T says:

Any scene that involves John Gallagher Jr. singing is a winner in my book. No matter how cheesy or schmaltzy.