SAG Awards: Modern Family, Thrones, Homeland, Boardwalk, Cards Lead Noms; Mad Men Shut Out; HTGAWM, Maslany and Aduba Get Nods

SAG Award Nominations 2015

Nominations for the 21st annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 25 on TNT/TBS, were announced this Wednesday morning, and Modern Family led the TV pack with four total nominations.

Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Homeland and Game of Thrones followed with three nods each. Mad Men was shut out for a second year in a row, while first-time nominees include Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany, Orange Is the New Black‘s Uzo Aduba and ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder (for series lead Viola Davis).

Check out this complete list of TV nominees, then do the Internet thing you do, expressing raves and rants in the Comments. (Next up, on Thursday morning: the Golden Globe noms!)

DRAMA ENSEMBLE
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards

DRAMA ACTRESS
Claire Danes, Homeland
Viola Davis, How to Get Away With Murder
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (WON IN 2014)
Robin Wright, House of Cards

DRAMA ACTOR
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Woody Harrelson, True Detective
Matthew McConaughey, True Detective
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

COMEDY ENSEMBLE
The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Modern Family (WON IN 2014)
Orange Is the New Black
Veep

COMEDY ACTRESS
Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (WON IN 2014)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

COMEDY ACTOR
Ty Burrell, Modern Family (WON IN 2014)
Louis CK, Louie

Richard Jenkins, Olive Kitteridge
Mark Ruffalo, The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thornton, Fargo

STUNT TEAM
24: Live Another Day
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones (WON IN 2014)
Homeland
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

1. Stephanie says:

Okay, I’m sure all the shows nominated are worthy, but I fail to understand how the stunt team at Arrow continuously fails to get nominated for awards when they are doing movie quality stunts every week. I realize that the shows nominated are much more high-profile, but that shouldn’t be a factor… it should be the quality of the stunts, no matter what show they are on. Okay… rant over. :)

2. No drama ensemble for The Good Wife, Mad Men, or Masters of Sex? For shame.

3. Anne says:

Yay Tatiana!

• dax says:

see.. till last year i hadn’t seen OB so i was kind of not bothered by immense anger shown by so many comments here on TVline against her being snubbed from Emmy and not winning. NOW, that i am all caught up in Orphan Black and Her highness of DoppelGangers, Tatiana Maslany… SHE HAS TO WIN!!!! :P

• Sheila says:

Very happy for Maslany. I love Orphan Black.

4. D. says:

Happy for Julianna Margulies and Tatiana Maslany! Based on this season, Homeland should win for best drama, hands down.

• mollytanner says:

This season Homeland has done a great job at using a brand new ensemble cast but at the same time keeping Carrie front-and-center. A lot of great characters.

• Wyngate says:

This was the worst season of Homeland yet, and I didn’t think it could get any worse than last year. This show ended at the end of Season 2. Poor writing, poor decisions,
        This used to be a riveting drama, and the only one of it’s kind. I will NOT be watching any more of it. And since Showtime doesn’t have any other shows worth watching, well…bye-bye!

5. Laurie says:

How Downton Abbey was recognized over Mad Men this season is shameful.

6. Mary Morris says:

How can the actor,Who plays Sue Heck on “The Middle” never receive a nomination? Also the show itself? These awards are political. The same people nominated year after year. There are other fantastic shows wonderful actors who are neglected. No wonder the ratings drop on theses award shows

7. Ma says:

“Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey” Enough already! They are so many other actresses far more worthy of this spot and it’s been going on for years now, smh.

8. Samantha says:

Yawn. Same shows & actors as last year (almost). Are TV shows really that bad that only the same few get nominated every year?

9. anna says:

what? no matt bomer from normal heart?

• abz says:

Was about to say just about that, but I guess maybe they don’t do nominations for Supporting Actors which is stupid because he deserves a win after he was robbed at the Emmy’s. Love Martin Freeman but Matt Bomer should’ve won IMO.

• Pam goodley says:

Martin Freeman from Fargo was superb better than,( in my opinion) BBT- who was very good.

• Skiwitch says:

Apparently they don’t recognize supporting actors on TV. I agree with your comments. I also love Martin Freeman and would have had no problem with him winning the Emmy in the lead actor category for Fargo, but he won for supporting actor on Sherlock. I watch Sherlock and love the show, but even though the acting is good, I think Matt Bomer deserved that Emmy. The only explanation I can come up with is that there were so many from TNH nominated in that category, the vote was split among them. They all were actually very good, but Matt’s performance was most intense.

10. rudsta says:

V.Davis from HTGAWM – bad choice. Talk of overacting! Not seen since CSI:Miami. Thankful the show didnot get a nod. Now the list of male actors – those are real actors – going to tough to select a winnerl

11. Lauren says:

Alison Tolman not getting a nod for Fargo = insane.

12. ajdito says:

Yay for Homeland! Just goes to show the value of their ensemble

13. Linda says:

If I see those same names nominated one more season, I will scream. I agree with commenters about this issue. Once I see Julie, Julianne, Eric and Maggie’s names listed, you may as well not watch. I don’t get how Orange and Nurse Jackie are comedies!! AND I’m over the moon that Frances McDorman in Olive Kitteridge is nominated.. if she doesn’t win, there’s a fix in for sure. And why is there a ‘stunt’ category at all? This is about acting. Have a separate award for such things – they’re important, but not to be acknowledged in an acting competition.

• abz says:

I get the frustration, but in all fairness, the Julianna Margulies nomination for TGW is extremely well-deserved I think. She and the show kill it season after season and this past season was their best.

14. Kyle says:

No Mindy Kaling? Come on! I am so sick of seeing Julie Bowen nominated for awards. Also, how can the Parks and Rec cast not be nominated?

15. M says:

I can’t believe Kerry was bumped by Viola.. Both should be nominated and not that terrible Claire Danes who keeps winning!!!

• ali says:

Claire Danes is actually brilliant in HL…and also she didn’t win last year so not sure where the “keeps winning” comes from…

• trainwreck says:

I agree .. Claire Danes knocks it out of the park and Homeland is better than ever. I remember how before S4 premiere, people were skeptic about the show w/o Brody.. but kudos to writers and the entire team to come up stronger and better!

• herman1959 says:

Why do say Kerry was “bumped” by Viola?

• Candice says:

What? Claire Danes IS the most talented actress of her generation. Absolutely deserves SAG, Globes, Emmy for her epic portrayal of Carrie Mathison!

16. Cass says:

Happy to see Tatiana and OitNB get some love, but so disappointed to see Rectify snubbed, one of the best ensembles ever.

17. Gallifreyan13 says:

Wow, another award show that completely ignores Son of Anarchy . Can’t say I’m surprised, award shows almost never nominate those who truly deserve it .

18. I can’t wait to see the SAG show next year. I going to make sure that my DVR will have room for me to tape the show and watch it later.

19. Tran says:

Mad Men getting shut out in a bad bad way. Not even the entire cast. The one category I was really excited about is the Best Stunt Team. What if 24: Live Another Day wins or last year’s winner in Game of Thrones.

20. Diogo says:

How come Jessica Lange is not nominated for Coven? It is beyond me!

• Giles says:

Because she already was nominated for Coven. It was before it even finished airing, which is odd since it’s considered a “miniseries.”

21. KC says:

Can Modern Family just please go away!

22. Sharon says:

Why is Outlander not on the list????

• Dawn Meade says:

My sentiments as well. Such a well acted ensemble and, let’s be fair, Caitriona Balfe is in almost every scene and it takes a hell of a lot to carry a big show like that!

• Holiday says:

Just because she’s in almost every scene doesn’t mean she’s good! :) All kidding aside, I don’t think Outlander has enough episodes and has been around long enough to be nominated. It has a lot of years ahead of it. I’m sure they’ll get their time in the sun.

23. Jodi says:

Bellamy Young should really be on the Supporting list.

24. christine says:

Where the hell is “Outlander”? Smh

25. Eny Kiss says:

well,it was about time Tat Maslany got a SAG nomination!!! she is hands down the most deserving..i hope she wins!

26. Ravenfan says:

No Mindy Kaling (sorry, Julie Bowen playing the same neurotic character for 10 years is not that funny!) or Chris Messina? And what about Parks and Rec for ensemble cast?

27. derek117 says:

I would have liked to see the Stunt Team from Arrow nominated. They’ve done excellent work for two seasons, and the season 2 finale fight between Oliver and Slade was deserved a nomination on it’s own.

28. chris1 says:

Downton Abbey! What a frakkin joke. These privileged idiots are getting on my last nerve.

29. Ari says:

Modern Family has dipped in quality over the past few seasons…

That’s all I’ll say about that.

• Ron says:

I’m gonna give MF just a little credit here. I do completely agree with you. However, I do feel like their current season has been much better than the last 2 seasons.

30. Cideric Rhyes says:

I think they should have desperate awards for cable/streaming and for netowrk. This is ridiculous that Viola is the only intersting new nominee. Winter Solider was totally snubbed in the stunt category for movies. I mean honestly they choose Days of Future Past and Hobbit over the Winter Solider, I mean really?

• herman1959 says:

If you meant to say they should have separate awards, I completely agree, but many have stated the same for awhile on this site and others – no one is listening!

31. Kevin says:

Very happy to see Homeland and Claire Danes nominated. Homeland has been absolutely spectacular this season. Also, I’m happy for Tatiana and Viola breaking into lead actress. I think the biggest snubs are Mad Men and Jeffrey Tambor in Transparent. Also, I don’t think Downton Abbey and Maggie Smith needed to be nominated. Last season wasn’t their best season.

32. S says:

I fail to understand how The Mindy Project, Scandal, and The Blacklist failed to garner any major nominations. James Spader is undeniably charismatic and cunning as Raymond Reddington, and pulls at your heart as he also surprises at every turn. I dare you to find something as fresh and cleverly comical as Minday Kaling and Chris Messina on The Mindy Project. And the company of Scandal rise to every occasion. Thrilled for many (Julianna Marguilies, Tatianna Maslany, William H. Macy, etc) but the snubs are glaring.

33. I’m happy to see the amazing Viola Davis here. Happy for Veep and Oitnb. Also, Homeland is great this season. So, well deserved

34. Arlene says:

That’s it for SOA? Is it because Hollywood can’t figure out how to use their DVR’s?

35. Joanne says:

Stupid stupid stupid waste of time. New year same nominees. I say once you win your name(s) should be taken out of the running. How many times should one person/show win? Enough w/ modern family already. And Jim Parsons. What about the other guys on the Big Bang? Never get a nod. There are so many others but always the same ones nominated.

36. Irina says:

No Outlander? Dissapionted…. Happy for Homeland, though.

37. matty says:

Why don’t they have a category for Miniseries or Movie Ensemble? and since SAG-Aftra is now one union why haven’t they added categories for daytime soaps? Soap actors are all SAG-AFtra members?

38. paul says:

If Viola Davis doesn’t win there is no justice in the world.

39. DanielleZ says:

Happy to see many of my favorite shows and actors nominated for SAG awards, including Boardwalk Empire, Homeland and House of Cards among the Drama Ensemble nominees! Also happy to see Steve Buscemi, Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Claire Danes, and Julianna Margulies nominated.

40. sims says:

What does Nick Offerman have to do to get a nomination???

41. Nick says:

So pleased for HTGAWM, OITNB, OB, Veep and House of Cards. Masters of Sex, Suits, the Newsroom, Looking (Jonathan Groff) Kerry Washington and a final nod to Sandra Oh for her work earlier in the year is missing though! Don’t understand how Jim Parsons is continually getting nominated… His work is great and I love the show, but it’s old news now, and he’s not bringing anything new (on this show) to the table… A nomination for him in The Normal Heart would of made more sense.

42. Sarah says:

Why is sons of anarchy not nominated for anything…amazing acting in their final season….disappointed

43. Candy77 says:

I cannot believe Sons of Anarchy; Charlie Hunnam, Katy Segal, Jimmy Smits; Dayton Callie; all of the cast, is not nominated for anything except stunts. They get snubbed again; but still deserve it more than any of these!

44. Margaretrose Wilkinson says:

What about the acting in Sons of anarchy? It was one of the best seasons ever! Directing was awesome!