Fargo Season 2 Scoop: Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons Snag Lead Roles

Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons headed to Fargo? You betcha!

The Spider-Man actress and Friday Night Lights star have landed starring roles in Season 2 of FX’s Emmy darling, the network announced today.

Dunst will play Peggy Blomquist, “a small town beautician with big city dreams who is trying to figure out who she really is and what she really wants as she struggles with traditional societal expectations.” Plemons will play her husband Ed, “a butcher’s assistant who wants to be supportive of his wife’s self-discovery, even if he doesn’t quite understand it.”

The cabler renewed Fargo last summer, promising a new 10-episode chapter of the anthology miniseries featuring new characters (played by all-new actors), a new period of time and a new true crime story.

Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice) and Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) reportedly are also being eyed for Season 2 roles, though FX has confirmed neither.

Fargo’s first season, which netted 18 Emmy nominations, was inspired by the Coen Brothers’ 1996 film of the same name and followed the fallout caused by murders in the Minnesota city of Bemidji.

FX also released a logline for Season 2: “Fargo’s new chapter, which will unfold over the course of 10 episodes, will travel back to 1979 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Luverne, Minnesota, where a young State Police Officer Lou Solverson (yet to be cast), recently back from Vietnam, will tackle an all new ‘true crime’ case. Solverson’s wife, Betsy, (yet to be cast) their four-year-old daughter, Molly (yet to be cast), and fellow officer, Ben Schmidt, (yet to be cast) will also be featured in the new installment.”

Season 2 will be influenced by the Cohen brothers’ Fargo, Miller’s Crossing and The Man Who Wasn’t There, executive producer Noah Hawley revealed at the show’s TCA panel in July. With the shift to 1979, a younger version of Keith Carradine’s character Lou Solverson, aka the father of Allison Tolman’s Molly, will be introduced. It was established on the show that in 1979, he worked on a Sioux Falls task force with one-day Duluth police lieutenant Ben Schmidt. The Lou that viewers meet in 1979 is a 33-year-old man recently returned from Vietnam who “thought he’d left the war behind and here it is, it’s domestic [now].”

Other Season 2 details from last summer’s panel:

* Molly’s mother will be introduced and fans may learn what happened to her, Hawley teased. Could Tolman possibly play her alter ego’s own mother? “I haven’t considered it,” Hawley admitted. “It seems a little gimmicky to me and like cheating. It’s something that’s certainly worth thinking about.”

* “Minnesota [and] North Dakota, that region is a character in the show,” Hawley said. “That’s part of the personality. Believe me, we would do Fargo, Honolulu, if we could get away with it. But we can’t.”

“It’s about strong women,” Hawley teased of the second-season setup when TVLine’s Michael Ausiello interviewed him (alongside fellow EP Warren Littlefield) on the 2014 Emmys red carpet (see the full Q&A below).

Excited about Dunst and Plemons climbing aboard Season 2? Sound off in the comments!

1. Dani says:

Lance! I want Joel Kinnaman for young Lou, if that storyline is still happening.

2. Spoiler Junkie says:

TODD aka METH DAMON!!!

First Jeffrey Donovan and Nick Offerman, now Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons – This is shaping up to be a great ensemble.

3. Ray says:

Ugh. Do not like Dunst. She’s such a mediocre actress.

4. Superhero says:

Hooray, Landry Clarke!

Ugh, Mary Jane…

5. I can’t wait to see Fargo season 2 finally debut. I hope that season one is available on DVD.

6. Eliza says:

Love Jesse Plemons.
    But wait a minute — Jeffrey Donovan & Nick Offerman might be cast? How did I miss this?! Yes, please. Make this happen.
    And someone above mentioned Joel Kinnaman as Lou…. I can excitedly entertain that idea.

7. jo jo jo says:

Hopefully Kristen D gets killed off in the second episode…By Lorne Malvo….”mind blown” seriously shes awfully… everyone else is fine…

8. selinakray says:

Seems like they might be eyeing Jeffrey Donovan for Lou… *Please* let that be the case! Perfect!

9. Tran says:

Casting Jesse Plemons is a good fit in the upcoming second season of Fargo. He was so great on both FNL and Breaking Bad.

10. Dennis says:

What about Colin Hanks?! 😱

11. johnhelvete says:

Reading comments about either Fargo or True Detective from posters who “loved” season 1 but dont want to watch season 2 without seeing a trailer/promo or even a pic of the actor in character, based on a perception that a certain actor is horrible, seems so misguided I dont know what else to say. It is 1994 all over again and bunch of Anne Rice fans are talking bleep about Tom Cruise before at least seeing a trailer for Interview With a Vampire.

• Gern Blanston says:

Speaking as one of those people, other than the Tobey Maguire Spider man films, I have never been able to make it through a movie where Kirsten Dunst was a character. And I only made it through Spider Man because he’s my second favorite superhero. If I can’t make it 90 minutes I really don’t think that I’ll be able to make it through 10 hours of her. Maybe if she only has 15 minutes of total screen time during the entirety of season 2 I’ll check it out on DVD. But, if she has screen time like Allsion Tolman or Colin Hanks did in season 1 I won’t be able to make it. She’s just one of those actors like Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, or Brad Pitt that just grate on my nerves. I think that almost everybody has an actor ot two that they can’t stand to watch. You apparently don’t but, most people do.

12. Joey Padron says:

Good casting. Can’t wait for season 2! Loved season 1.

13. SonOfCoul says:

Nick Offerman on Fargo?!?!?!?!?! They Better make that happen!! Michael Westen, too? Awesome.

14. Jules says:

Great for Jesse Plemons! Love him from FNL

15. Rich Abey says:

Despite all the great stuff being said about the show I still haven’t watched Season 1 of Fargo, though the fact that Kirsten Dunst is heading in Season 2 got me excited. So gonna check out S1 before the new season airs!

16. Fabian says:

I don’t know why people are hating on Kirsten Dunst! I love so many of her movies: Interview with the Vampire, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Dick, Bring It On, Get Over It, Bachelorette, etc. I haven’t seen in her a ton of dramatic roles, but I have heard that Melancholia is very good. I think her casting is a major coup for FX and a great career move for her. Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox now.