Exclusive

Bones Boss: Emily Deschanel's Pregnancy Will Be Written into Show

Bones Season 10 Pregnancy Emily Deschanel

Someone get Christine an “I’m The Big Sister” T-shirt!

Fox’s Bones has formally decided to write star Emily Deschanel’s real-life pregnancy into the series’ storyline, TVLine has learned.

“We are so happy for Emily,” showrunner Stephen Nathan says in an exclusive statement to TVLine. “As before, rather than try to hide this from a sophisticated audience, we are integrating her pregnancy into the show.

“Booth and Brennan, like most couples today, will continue to work, play and catch murderers — maybe they’re unique in this respect — as their family grows,” Nathan continues. “As with most new situations that have arisen in 10 years, we feel that this can only enhance the show. Although I’m sure there will be a vocal group of fans eager to attack me, I hope they will be pleasantly surprised by what we have in store.”

Word on the creative decision came days after the actress’ rep confirmed that she and husband David Hornsby are expecting Baby No. 2.

Deschanel’s son, Henry, was born in 2011; his birth coincided with the Season 7 arrival of Brennan and Booth’s daughter, Christine.

Bones fans, are you looking forward to the stork’s second visit to Brennan and Booth’s house? Tell us about it in the comments!

1. Sara says:

Meaning: They’re too lazy to try to hide it. And “sophisticated fans?” Hahaha

• Wow. Classy response. Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?

• Samantha says:

I’m sorry but why should Emily have to hide her pregnancy? She is an actress but that doesn’t mean that should stop her going out and living her life as well. It’s not lazy, it’s just not do-able. It makes a lot more sense to write in the pregnancy for Brennan because after all she is married now and it does seem like a rational next step in her and Booth’s relationship.

• aph1976 says:

I don’t think the show is being lazy.Plus Brennan being pregnant again could create more story possibilities.Plus having 2 kids may make Brennan and Booth think about the future more

• Eric says:

Why would they hide it? Generally TV shows hide the pregnancies because they would make no sense incorporating them into the shows, but in this case, it’s do-able. Booth and Brennan are married with one kid already. If Emily is pregnant again in real life, why not add it into the show? It’s not like it’s completely unbelievable that a married couple with one kid would get pregnant and have a second.

• Mel says:

Nothing to do with laziness. You’ve seen those shows with fruit bowl strategically placed (ie. HIMYM when Alison Hannigan was pregnant, even GA with Ellen Pompeo), or big fluffy coats (ie. Ginnifer Goodwin in OUAT). Better make it fit with the plotline as it makes perfect sense anyway)

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, and don’t forget Kerry Washington on Scandal.

• Kvivik says:

That one went to ridiculous lengths to be hidden.
          Also on Unforgettable they used frilly shirts (that totally trampled on the established character) and body doubles that could be seen a mile away to cover Poppy Montgomery’s pregnancy. It was horrible.

• Criminal Minds didn’t even hide AJ Cook’s pregnancy, they had JJ get pregnant after a fling with Will. And it worked well with AJ’s real life pregnancy. It would be funny to see how they’d hide a pregnancy if AJ gets pregnant again. Jennifer Love Hewitt just had a baby so that won’t be an issue. If she did get pregnant again, they may hide hers since she has no boyfriend/ husband as far as I know.

• Angela says:

Kate’s mentioned a guy named Chris on the show-I think he’s her husband.
          There are reasons when it might make sense to hide a woman’s pregnancy on a TV show, but at the same time, I think that would get really old after a while :p. So if it makes sense within the context of the show, why not? Any show that has actresses in its main cast, it’s inevitable some of them will get pregnant at some point, so might as well prepare for and deal with that possibility ahead of time.

• Katie says:

Jj is married on Criminal mind she married the father of her son

• Daisy says:

Yep, I think it would be cool to see Bones pregnant again. Just like in Once Upon A Time. That was a good way to make Snow pregnant again in Never land. I hope even thought Emilie (Belle) isn’t pregnant in real life that they show Rumbelle have a baby soon, they are married anyways. That would be cool to see.
        Back to Bones I hope by not hiding the pregnant Bones that the show will show her tell Angela and see her reaction. I wanted to see that in season 6 but they didn’t show they only showed Booth’s reaction so I hope they show at lease Angela’s reaction when she finds out she is pregnant.

• suzyku says:

Get over yourself!

• I agree with Sara that Bones decide not to hide the fact her character is going to have another baby.

• Bones is ace says:

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but the Bones writers decisions have got them this far. Trust them. If you are not a fan of the direction they have taken then why comment/ watch? I have been a fan from day one and will be till the end. I think it’s again perfect timing for Emily Deschanel to have a baby in the show. Congrats to her

• Samantha says:

I agree with everything you have said!! Bones is in it’s 10th season because of the writers and importantly because of the actors too. Trust the writers, they’ve got us this far, they know what they’re doing.

• I think it takes a lot more work to change the story and ad a baby (i.e. an unpredictable infant actor) than it does to hide a pregnancy.

• Ally says:

They don’t exactly write the entire season at once. It’s very easy to add in an element or remove an element. Hiding a pregnancy would cost far much more time because you’d be calculating every angle just to avoid a pregnant belly. Or you’d have to send a character away which is not ideal when it’s your titular character and you’ve done it before.

• Sabrina says:

They are not lazy. Incorporating Emily’s pregnancy in bones will be a great idea, Christine will have a knew play mate and there will be more story lines in the show (possibly)

• Shannon says:

I like it when they add it into the story line. Most shows don’t have that option but since Bones and Booth are together, they can make it happen…I don’t think it’s lazy…it takes real thought..

• Squeaki says:

On occassion production can hide a baby bump, Deschanel gained at least 40 pounds during her first pregnancy, how do you suggest they hide wider hips, bigger boobs and a fatter face, Sara?

• Brittany says:

Sounds Like you are calling yourself stupid lol do surprised at the word sophisticated. Negative Nancy.

2. Yay! I’m so excited to see how they work a new baby into the show.

• Stephanie says:

It bothers my how little they show Christine. I feel like Christine has gone from a baby to 1st grade so quickly. How many Christine’s have their been? Why the jump with her age? Maybe this will mean they incorporate Christine more,

• Samantha says:

They aged her to make it easier to include her within storylines. Would you rather have a baby that is hardly seen and always sleeping or a toddler that can speak and be included?

• Mary ann says:

She’s rarely included though anyway. Shes been seen what 2 times this season? I would like to really see some regular interaction with her parents and show what it really is like for working parents.

• Mar says:

She has actually been in 5 episodes this season, counting tomorrow’s that hasn’t aired yet, that’s half the season.

• The original twins, Ali and Susanne Hartman, who played Christine were replaced because when they got to the terrible twos, neither one would act when it came time. They just cried. That’s why Christine wasn’t even in Bones’ and Booth’s wedding. Neither of the twins would stop crying long enough to walk down the aisle. It’s a shame, too. They were absolutely adorable! The new Christine’s name is Sunnie PELANT! How ironic of a name is that???

• Tisha says:

By law children are only allowed to work so many hours on set. That’s why in a lot of shows the children are not show as much until they hit a legal age then they can become a more frequent cast member.

• Angela says:

Today is Oct. 2015. Again, Bones is NOT about the kids. With these newest Christine’s, the less the better. They are not good actors and their voices belong in a cartoon. They don’t fit in Bones at all.

3. Betty says:

I think it makes the most sense to include it in the show. I still enjoy watching so I look forward to what they have coming up. The actors are all so good together, they will make it work.

4. Frankie707 says:

I’m very happy to hear they’re writing it in. Heck I was hoping for a new B&B baby and once she gave away all the baby stuff you just knew it was the perfect time for a new arrival. 😃

5. Maggie says:

Congratulations! Why hide the arrival of new baby? It will be good for Christine.

6. Talisha says:

I can’t wait love B and B

7. Samantha says:

I couldn’t be happier! I love that Stephen Nathan said “I hope they will be pleasantly surprised by what we have in store” because it means only good things can be in store! Although I do hope it is different that Brennan’s pregnancy in season 7, I loved it of course, but I would jut love to see something totally different!
    Congratulations to Emily! xx

8. Morgane says:

Hmm … Stana Katic should get pregnant ahah ;-)

• Samantha says:

Bones is 10000x better than Castle!

• Rusty says:

Was that really necessary?

• abz says:

Uh no. They are both pretty much almost the exact same (similar format and similar characters) and suffer from the same problems IMO. The difference is that Bones has been on a lot longer and has clearly outstayed its welcome. The writing IS lazy and has been for several seasons now. I remember a lot of people hating Pelant and I got tired of him too near the end, but the episodes revolving around him were almost the only ones worth watching the entire 8th season. Only the rare 3-4 episodes a season nowaday can be considered interesting nowadays I think and the rest are filler because the cases are almost all the same, been there done that. Nothing is fresh and its only still on the air because people seem to continue to watch it for whatever reasons and I don’t think Fox can really afford to lose it.

• Jake says:

Meh – I watch both, and Castle’s writers are just flailing around coming up with “novel” ideas that aren’t good – first the lame end of the season delay of the wedding (I won’t even go into the rest of the episode itself), now with “Castle, PI” – really?

• I agree. That would be really interesting to see how Castle and Beckett react to that!

• Juliana says:

Yes, please! LOL And no, Castle is better. I love both, but Castle is better.

9. Kelley says:

I am so very very happy!! For those of you who thinks Parker is the “forgotten” child, remember, he lives with his mother and he is shown when needed. So I say bring on baby Booth!!

10. aph1976 says:

I’m not surprised that the show is writing the pregnancy because it might be hard to hide it because Emily plays one of the leads.Plus the show could do Bones being pregnant differently than last time.

11. Emily says:

I take this as really good news! I was thinking a few weeks ago actually we must be looking for a brother or sister for either Christine or Michael Vincent soon… looking forward to the expansion of the Bones family!!

12. Mariana Vidal says:

Fantastic! Writing Emily’s pregnancy into the storyline could only improve an already wondeful and entertaining show. Congratulations Emily Bones is my favorite show.

13. July Lark says:

zzzz, another baby, it would be nice if Booth took care of his TWO children he has now, he is losing “great dad” points fast as is great stepmom Br. Exactly when was the last time Parker was even mentioned on the show? Sad, just another child of a former relationship forgotten.

14. Jai says:

In my head, I see Angela and Brennan get pregnant at the same time and go through all of the ‘pregnancy stuff’ together; morning sickness, b***chiness, and all of that good stuff. It will make for great fun and I can’t wait to watch!

15. gaby says:

I’m very happy with the news… Only hope this time they act more like a normal couple, altough i know their not jaja I love them!!!!

• They are not as lovey dovey together, as they were with previous partners. That’s my opinion. 😜

• melissax says:

Yeah but that is because they are at work and must display professionalism. My husband and I worked together and we were very professional in front of others. People only knew we were together by others telling them we were…but off the clock we are lovey dove and always holding hands and such.

16. Lulibelle says:

And, I’m done. Bones was on “on the fence” show for me ever since they wrote the first pregnancy into it.

17. Danielle says:

Yayyy!!!! Congratulations to Emily and David H. I’m so happy for them! And YAY! Another B&B baby!!! 😃

18. Donna Ferriola says:

I think it is great and will add to the realistic storylines that Bones do. They show that you can gave a happy damily life and have productive important xareers also. Cheers to Bones!

19. Donna says:

And then Parker will dismantle the crib and just before Booth and Bones have him hauled off to jail for threatening “their” children, he’ll reveal he was making a miniature treehouse. Yawn. You people who want perfect families should read fanfiction. This used to be a show about solving crimes and now it’s about changing diapers. Yawn x2.

• dragons3 says:

Hardly. Christine is rarely shown and Parker is mentioned but hasn’t been shown in a long time, because he’s in London with his mother and step father.

• Donna says:

Parker is mentioned? Really? Since when? We’re in the whatever number it is episode this year and he hasn’t been mentioned AT ALL this season let alone actually shown. You must be watching another show.

• 1mars says:

IA, happy for the Hornsbys, but Bones is turning into Parenthood 2, what happened to crime fighting and realistic and innovative ways to headline current FBI or even lab interaction. All we get is relationship stories, that is when we do get to see the main couple together which isnt much. Dont even try to say less BnB cuz of her condition, if she can do 10-12 scenes, half can be with her leading man. What a concept.

20. 1mars says:

Quick, tell Kimberly, Christine is already a sister just nobody remembers that. Parker has been recast last summer but has yet to appear and the actor says last month he’s only doing his current series now, they will bring Parks in, maybe, to hear the joyous news and then ship him off the England again. Parenthood 2 , here we come.

• Kira says:

Kimberly suggested the shirt say “I’m the BIG sister” which would be true because right now she’s the little sister. I don’t think she meant any disrespect. Hopefully now that Parker has been recast he’ll show up more.

21. I am so happy for Bones and Booth. They make wonderful parents.

22. Lois says:

I’m exciting about a new baby Booth! Seems like a very natural progression in life for a happily married couple. The more the merrier! Can’t wait!

23. Darlene Dieno says:

I think it is really great. I have wondered if Dr. Brennan & Booth would have any more.

24. Bayoustarbaby says:

Yes, I think this is a great way to go. It only shows how strong the show is and this is the way life goes.

25. anna says:

a mini booth

26. John NYC says:

Happy for the actor, for the show it’s a meh for me.

27. Helen says:

I am completely utterly thrilled that a new baby is on the way for Bones and Booth!!! Yea!!!

28. kmw says:

Bones HAS NOT turned into PARENTHOOD. Last season how many times did we see Christine? Maybe two or three times at most. Married couples having children is normal part of life and actually Booth and Brennan having another child help them both. Please remember that Parker is living with his mother, because in cases with parents who do not live together custody usually will go to mother. Knowing that Parker is mostly overseas means that Christine really has a different relationship with him because of that. Of course that does not mean that they do not have meaningful times together, they are just off screen that is all. Before Brennan lost her parents when she was a teen she had a great relationship with her brother and Booth did not have a good relationship with his father. I realize they have not talked on screen about having another child, but it does not mean they have not. Emily should not have to work harder just to cover her belly because people think this show will not be crime show anymore. It would also not only be Emily working harder it would be the rest of the cast and crew as well Booth and Brennan will announce the news and move on. They will not have to show the stories they did the last time. This news will probably push Booth to acknowledge his PTSD and get help for it and maybe put Angela and Brennan in different point in their relationship.(Last year Angela told Hodgins she wanted another child. She might get jealous that she is not having another one yet.) Based on the last five to six episodes I HAVE watched this show has really been concerned with the cases and not on the relationships, even Daisy having her baby did not take too much air time. I Think it would be funny if Brennan was more nervous having this one than Christine, especially if she thinks or knows she is having a boy. I know I am rambling but I am excited because I believe we are going to get another year of BONES!!! Once again congrats to Emily and her husband, very happy for her.

• Eran says:

I was actually about to use the exact same reference to Parenthood in a reply when I saw yours and how it’s essentially said every thing I had going through my head. Truer words! :)

29. WayneAdneyC says:

It made better sense to try not to hide it and if the show boss is really sincere about us fans being sophisticated then why have they deliberately ignore Booth’s son Parker and the dynamic was and I guess still is, whenever he makes an appearance, for the Booth-Brennan relationship. So maybe he can be old enough to be a big half brother and/or another built-in babysitter.

30. Megan says:

I AM SO EXCITED!!! Congratulations to Emily and David. And as a loyal fan for 10 years I’m so excited for B&B baby #2!! This can only make the show better and grow stronger.

31. KC says:

They shouldn’t hide the fact that she’s pregnant, but it would be better if they just ended the show now.

32. Awesome….how about twins!!

33. Amanda says:

I am beyond excited to see what thus brings to my favorite show!!!!!

34. jj says:

I just hope this time they give it time for this baby to grow once he/she is born … unlike Christine.

35. Cheri Horton says:

I’m so happy for Emily and I think it’s the perfect timing for the show. I can’t wait to see how Booth handles Bones’s second pregnancy. Will he be as overprotective as he was with Christine?

Can’t wait to see all of the episodes!! I never miss a show and then I watch repeats everyday on TNT.

Bones Lover,
    Cheri

36. Cynthia Coleman says:

So happy for you.

37. Michelle says:

I’m excited to watch what unfolds I love Bones it is a great show , I miss Sweets.

38. Paula says:

Fabulous, I am so happy and pleased that her pregnancy is going to be written in. It will be a positive thing after everything they have gone through. It will also allow for a storyline whereby Sweet’s son Seely could be written in, in some compacity: the children playing together. Sweets son will hold a very special place in his heart and light. This may help all of them heal to some degree. There are so many directions this new storyline / pregnancy can go.

39. Betty says:

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!
    Can’t wait 😍😊😍😊😍😊

40. megan says:

Yay!!!!!! They are a great TV couple and I am so excited!!!! I have watched them grow since the show started. Can’t wait to find out if it is a boy or girl. Hope its a boy.

41. Lynette says:

I think that is a great idea! Csnt wait to see what you come up with!!

42. Brenda Nesbitt says:

I think it would be great.

43. Terry says:

love this show. Can’t wait for the new baby!

44. Bill says:

I for one thing it’s a great way to go with it!??

45. I think that is cool! They always try to hide them! I love the show I say congratulations to you!

46. Rose says:

I find it odd that Emily is on all these commercials to improve the environment, but then she keeps getting knocked up. That seems a bit hypercritical.

47. Elucia says:

I think this is a great idea! I’m so excited! I hope they have a son and I think it would be a great idea if Angela is expecting at the same time (Angela gives birth to a girl and Bones gives birth to a boy) and I also think it would be wonderful if they give birth on the same day :) Thank you for listening, your biggest fan, Elucia P.s I’ve been a fan of the show since the very first episode

48. melimo says:

Bones baby no 2 will hopefully send her even more crazy. In fact she will probably look for another unusual and yet significant birthplace. Wrigley field?

49. Ann says:

how wonderful for booth and bones. Yeah

50. Mary ann says:

I am pleased with the decision not to hide it. Normal couples often have more than one child however it hardly seems to matter as we rarely see Christine anyway. If Bones producers really want to be authentic show this couple actually DEALING with being working parents. We’ve seen Christine approximately twice all season. Also just because Emily is pregnant doesn’t mean she should barely be seen anymore with Booth. We get her in the beginning with Booth and the end of the ep lately and they are apart the rest of the time. She is as integral a part of the show as David is and can not be replaced by the character of Aubrey. I want to see Booth and Brennan not Booth and Aubrey.