Preview: ABC's Forever to Reveal Henry's Mystery Caller in Fall Finale

Forever Season 1 Preview Ioan Gruffudd

Remember how it took The Mentalist nearly six seasons to let us know who Red John was?

Forever fans won’t even have to wait 12 episodes to learn who’s behind the mysterious calls Henry has been receiving since the ABC drama’s pilot.

If the reveal — which takes place in Tuesday’s midseason finale (10/9c) — seems like it arrived quickly, you’re in good company.

“It was a bit of a shock to me that we would do it so early in the process,” star Ioan Gruffudd tells TVLine. “I was imagining that there would be something to that effect toward the end of the season.”

But the actor adds that once audiences see the caller, a man who refers to himself as “Adam” and claims to be immortal like Henry, the storytelling possibilities deepen.

“If you think about it, now we can go back in time and see the character in my past several times over, and have the fun and enjoyment of the audiences knowing he’s the mystery caller but Henry not knowing,” Gruffudd says. “There is a lot of scope there.”

Plus, “as much as it’s been a thorn in Henry’s side from the beginning of this show, now he’s got a chance to put a face to it, to see how formidable a foe [Adam] really is,” he adds.

And with that knowledge, maybe the medical examiner will gain a slight advantage on his cagey caller, who lured him into a cab and then sped away at the end of last week’s episode?

Perhaps, Gruffudd says, “We’ll see Henry getting one over on him.”

Forever fans, log your guesses about the caller’s identity in the comments below!

1. Jenna says:

Appreciate the update! I hope the reveal isn’t because the show might now make it past season 1. It’s a cute program with a fun cast and Ioan is so charming. Adore his relationship with Abe.

2. Kay says:

Good, can’t wait…Really like this show! Also love Abe and Henry together…

3. Cathy says:

Very exciting! Can’t wait for this episode!!!

4. Gern Blanston says:

I’ve had this feeling since the pilot that the caller is his partner’s dead husband. But, they haven’t brought that plot point up in a while so, I hope that I am wrong.

5. Collette says:

Totally in love with this show and Mr. Gruffudd. Just entered into an “If ever” pact with my husband. His is Jennifer Lopez. I think his chances are better than mine LOL

6. Nico says:

As a Canadian, I’ve seen it courtesy of CTV, and let me say, I love this show but I was a little underwhelmed. For a mid-season finale it wasn’t as meaningful as I hoped. From a storytelling perspective it was solid and built for a very interesting second half but really my expectations were too high. This show is essentially an Immortal Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty story which is a great premise for a show. Unfortunately, It’s not meeting my expectaions, which as i mentioned before are far too high. That said not a bad episode, a solid “B+” episode. As a comparator, Castle’s mid season finale was a “A-” or “A”. I want this show to get another season, but my confidence isn’t very high and this didn’t help it.

• chad says:

Thank you. I couldn’t find anything online anywhere to indicate that it was on ctv tonight. I just watched it and trying to look up other people’s opinion, I couldn’t find anything, not even a message board where someone else mentioned seeing it.

I felt underwhelmed by the killers identity. I was expecting someone from a previous episode, but unless I’m mistaken we never saw him before tonight. There was a certain camera shot that had me suspect the person of being the caller in the episode.

• Nico says:

Careful about spoilers some might not want to know. The US fans haven’t seen it yet. That said, you are right, the reveal wasn’t that interesting and within the confines of the episode it was kind of obvious if you have a good ear. They also teased it with Henry’s flashbacks but you wouldn’t know it until after the episode was done.

• chad says:

Ya I was trying my hardest to word it so it wouldn’t spoil, while still ensuring you understood what I meant. It unlocks potential for some great story lines in the future, but it really felt like it fell short of the hype, especially since I read an article earlier where a producer or someone was commenting on the big reveal. They made it sound bigger than it was.

7. chad says:

Just saw the episode. The only thing confusing me more than the identity of the caller is why every source online says it premiers tomorrow, though it premiered on ctvto earlier tonight, at least here in Ontario.

Honestly though, I have no memory of the caller appearing prior to this episode, so once people have watched the episode, someone let me know if we saw him before or this was the first time.

• Nico says:

We get it a day early in Canada. ABC doesn’t Air it until Tuesday.

• chad says:

That was what I figured, however I’m surprised I was unable to find a single mention of it anywhere online. I thought at least some message boards would have had a discussion but I found nothing.

8. tahina says:

Oh, but then see what happened to The Mentalist after Red John saga. But Forever don’t think will live up to it’s name, unfortunately, ’cause really enjoy it! But glad getting news bits once in a while!

9. the anonymous caller is the psychiatrist in the next episode his name is louis.

• Cooper says:

WHY would you spoil it 4 people who haven’t had a chance 2C it: Shouldn’t they get the same chance of discovery as you did?!?

10. pamela says:

I’ve always thought that “Adam” will be revealed as Jo’s dead husband since the beginning, will find out soon :)

11. Danielle H. says:

First off.. those trying to post actual spoilers in the comments… eff off.. it hasn’t aired in America yet which is where this site is out out.

I was shocked at first that they were doing this this early, but honestly I think it will punch things up a bit. I like this show alright, but it has been really up and down. It really hasn’t been a “O man, I really want to watch Forever tonight !” Situation until this episode, which I think this reveal is so good for it. I think if they could just throw in a couple more twists in there and thicken the back plot once and awhile it would really elevate it. I think the last few eps have been the best.

I also really hope they don’t have Henry sleep with the detective for a long time if ever. Can we please just have a show to never go there?

12. Thanh says:

I hope Forever gives the show proper resolution, because chances aren’t good it’ll get renewed. I’m still keeping up with the show, because I find it mostly entertaining, but I’ll be upset if the show ends on a cliffhanger this finale, especially when it’s clearly not a ratings winner.

• Cooper says:

Actually, #Forever is doing really well in the L+7 including C+ 3 & 7 and in the foreign markets so don’t be such a Debbie Downer! This was the Fall Finale, halfway through the Full season of 22 episodes.