Paul Rosolie: Eaten Alive by Anaconda on Discovery Special?

Eaten Alive Paul Rosolie

Did you hear the one about the guy who willingly fed himself to an anaconda?

No, that’s not the set-up to a really questionable joke; noted naturalist Paul Rosolie literally served himself to an anaconda during Sunday’s appropriately titled Discovery special Eaten Alive — or, at least, he intended to.

Anticipation for the two-hour event had been building ever since the network announced it in November, but not everyone’s rally cries were of support. The most notable pushback came, unsurprisingly, from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), which chastised the entire affair as an act of abuse.

It certainly helped Rosolie’s defense that the whole stunt was designed to promote rainforest preservation. He recently told People, “I wanted to try to do something that would shock people and get a lot of attention and to start a conversation on a bigger stage than it is right now. We have to organize and get smart about it. It’s a massive issue, but it’s easy for it to be out of sight, out of mind.”

Unlike Discovery’s last major event — daredevil Nik Wallenda tight-rope walked (while blindfolded!) across two Chicago skyscrapers — Rosolie’s reptilian encounter was pre-taped, though Discovery was able to keep the real surprise a secret: Rosolie tapped out at the last minute! The constriction proved to be too much for him, so he cut the stunt short.

Given that it didn’t work out exactly as teased, was Eaten Alive worth all the hype? Grade Rosolie’s big stunt below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Robin says:

Did not watch, but happy the snake was okay.

2. Ronald Roman says:

But, but..,he was NOT eaten alive.He was constricted alive,until his arm went numb!

3. Amy says:

LAME. SO misleading

4. mister big says:

This guy inspired me. Im a hude feminist and obsesed with womens rights and equality, so starting tomorow, I will be looking for a woman to shove my penis down their throat. I feel my forced love will show the world women need love whether they know it or not.

• Big Mike says:

…….that’s not funny. You know that, right?

• Ryan says:

I think you missed the metaphor. How does man-handling and forcing wildlife to do something that irritates it show your support for the wilderness? This Paul fellow was essentially trying to rape the anaconda’s digestive tract.

• mister big says:

Ryan thank you but hes right,…I spelled huge H.U.D.E and thants not funny.

• r0ckmypants says:

It wasn’t irritated. Anacondas quite often regurgitate their food, and there was even a clip of it shown during the special. And he never actually entered the digestive tract, or even really got into its mouth. Rosolie has been studying and working with anacondas for years; it’s not like he one day woke up and decided to do some crazy daredevil stunt just for the thrill of it. They walked away with new information about the snake and its habitat and were given a platform to discuss the dangers rain forests face from modernization… I really don’t understand the hate for this guy.

5. Me says:

You are a complete tool and a total idiot.

6. buttercupp85 says:

What he wanted to do…is literally my nightmare. NIGHTMARE. I have a phobia about snakes. That scene in Indiana Jones? also my worst nightmare.

7. Dianna Webb says:

Discovery I am having a severe loss of faith in the producers of your network. The feel of the show from the start had a mockumentary tone. From shaky cameras, the team, and even the documentation of the snake itself. It is sad I must do homework and my own research before watching one of your specials to see if it is actually science or science fiction. This one could have been a bigger success if the message and time was taken to give the bigger issue of conservation the respect it deserves. I wasted 1 hour waiting, then changed the channel. Too boring and just frankly figured out nothing was going to happen, I wanted to see the beautiful snake. Could have cared less about the guy getting eaten or not. Show me more about the floating forest, the gorous jaguars, examine the black camion indigenous only to there. Make it a 4 part mini-series. But stop offending my intelligence with this garbage.

• r0ckmypants says:

“Show me more about the floating forest, the gorous jaguars, examine the black camion indigenous only to there.”

They did show the floating forest. And he wasn’t there to study caimons or jaguars, so why would they examine them? And if you changed the channel after an hour, then you missed everything having to do with the “beautiful snake.”

8. Chris Leonardi says:

I generally think PETA are a bunch of morons, but in this case I agree with them. If he went through with this, they would have had to cut open the snake to get him out, killing it in the process.

• r0ckmypants says:

No, they wouldn’t. He was attached to an oxygen supply and monitoring equipment that they would have pulled on to extract him, initiating the snake’s regurgitation reflex.

9. pam says:

I’m amazed people actually believe that he was going to be eaten. Knew from the get go that wasn’t going to happen. Still it did garner viewers so I suppose that was the point. People are sooo gullible!

10. cjeffery7 says:

i cannot describe how big my eye roll is right now.

11. J says:

This can’t be rated anything but a fail. It’s the epitome of a fail.

They didn’t even advertise it as “guy attempts to get eaten by a snake”, it was “Guy gets eaten by a snake”. They straight up lied.

Discovery.com’s description: “naturalist and wildlife filmmaker Paul Rosolie enters the belly of an anaconda in a snake-proof suit.”

12. BONNIE EMIGH says:

GREAT WAY TO GET PEOPLE AWARE OF THE SNAKE. THINK ABOUT IT WHERE GOOD OR BAD PEOPLE ARE TALKING.

13. Phil says:

Discovery should stick with programming that is clearly intended to educate the public rather than attempting to compete with stupid ‘reality TV programming’. This type of programming does little to forward any kind of conservation message. Programming like this and Discovery’s ridiculous Megladon episodes produced for Shark Week were insults to intelligent people.

What will Discovery do for ratings Next?