Ratings: Peter Pan Flies Half as High as Sound of Music, Reign and Bones Rise

Peter Pan Live!

Peter Pan Live! proved not as lively as NBC’s year-ago Sound of Music production.

Delivering 9.1 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, the Williams-and-Walken showcase was down 50 percent from SOML‘s fast nationals, yet it gave the Peacock its second highest-rated non-sports Thursday in three years, and its second most-watched one in more than five years.

For the deep-divers, Pan‘s half hours went like this: 11.4 mil/2.7 > 10.8 mil/2.8 > 9.6 mil/2.5 > 8.6 mil/2.3 > 7.4 mil/2.0 > 7 mil/1.8.

Describing the network as “very pleased” with the results, NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement, “We didn’t expect to reach the same rating as The Sound of Music since that was the first live movie event of its kind in over 50 years. But the high-wire act of Peter Pan was a joy for everyone involved…. I love these live events and we’re already working on putting the next one together” — the previously announced The Music Man.

Elsewhere on the night….

CBS | Pending NFL preemption-related adjustments: Leading out of a Big Bang rerun, Mom (10.6 mil/2.5) matched its last non-holiday outing, while Two and a Half Men (10.4 mil/2.5), The McCarthys (8.3 mil/2.0) and Elementary (8.6 mil/1.8) all are currently looking at gains.

FOX | Bones (6 mil/1.5) rose 13 percent and two tenths, while the penultimate Gracepoint (3.6 mil/0.9) was up 17 percent and two tenths.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.5 mil/0.7) ticked down a tenth to match its series low, while Reign (1.25 mil/0.5) rose 14 percent and two tenths.

ABC | The Taste‘s two-hour season opener did 3.3 mil and a 0.9, matching its Season 2 finale numbers.

More to come….

1. Kim says:

Didn’t NBC already announce The Music Man for next year?

2. Jeff. says:

West Side Story! Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Ariana Grande. Let’s make this happen.

3. al says:

I wouldn’t use the word “soar”
    I mean was 50% below Sound of Music-which would be only around a 2.5/2.6 in demo, and 10 million- I mean its okay but not impressive

4. Gail says:

Kiss Me Kate
    My Fair Lady
    Funny Girl

• Hbomb says:

I know!! So many cool options and they go with the vanilla-est AND boring-est ones. . . .

• Alice says:

I think they are trying to pick musicals with a family appeal. Casts that include a few prominent child roles and a story that isn’t just about the romance. That said the film version of Music Man was very, very white, and I hope they diversify the cast for the live event. It’s set in the American mid-west, there’s absolutely no reason any of the characters in that show, including Harold Hill and Marion, can’t be POC.

• Paul says:

There’s every reason not to change the ethnicity. Meredith Wilson wrote Music Man about a time when Iowa had virtually no diversity and mixed race romance would turn the narrative into a very different thing. Why do people try to co-opt the work of white authors instead of writing something original that speaks to their viewpoint? More to the point, why should they feel entitled to ask that it be changed? it’s a work about white people by a white author and should stay that way.

• Whatevah says:

Guys and Dolls!

5. Jessica says:

White Christmas!

6. Lizo says:

I enjoyed it. But I have to admit I was less excited for this than SOM because it feels as if Peter Pan is everywhere these days. OUAT just did it, there was that awful SyFy series, there’s a new movie coming out, etc. get kinda fatigued.

• J.Norman says:

Peter Pan did OK. About what many thought it would do.
      The PR statements from Greenblatt is predictable and is really all he can say. I do think (NBC) expected much better.

Last year the Sound Of Music success was a combination of a beloved story starring a very popular star personality. The success caught everyone – including NBC – totally by surprise
      So they jumped on a bandwagon.
      This time around it had a (somewhat) tired and often told story combined with a – making it on sheer talent – lead actress.
      You know, On NBC and the the daughter of Brian Williams.
      Still it didn’t perform horribly at all, it was doomed, however, to fall far short of last years bolt of lightning.

• Patrick says:

Plus, Carrie Underwood was, and is, a huge country music star with a large built in fan base. Allison Williams, who is a fine actress, lacks that fan base. Her biggest work is a polarizing Girls.
      If this is going to be a thing for NBC or other nets going forward, you are going to have to cast bigger name “stars” in the lead roles to get fans to watch.

• lizo says:

that is also a very good point. I overlooked the Carrie factor. Going forward they definitely need to hone in on the star factor. Cause Chris Walken certainly doesn’t do it either haha

7. Drew says:

Peter Pan didn’t have the appeal that SOML had. It looked like a disaster from the moment that casting started and it lived up to that. Everything from casting to directing to costuming made me cringe.
    Next year they need to cast someone whose Daddy didn’t pull some strings. Actually it might be fun to take a poll for who should star in The Music Man.

• Drew says:

Now I’m trying to cast The Music Man. If this dude doesn’t ooze charisma the whole point is lost.
      Is Zachary Levi too obvious? Disarming and charismatic enough to be a good con artist.

• analog says:

It might be NPH. The producers are working with him on the Oscars.

• Drew says:

I could see that. Someone with comic timing would be good, to sell the swindling lines with personality.

Plus this would free Zachary Levi up for the Chuck movie that NBC should air next Black Friday.

• Lyn says:

We’re almost spoiled for choice for Harold Hill. NPH, Harry Connick JR, Adam Lambert, Hugh Jackman, Eric McCormick. For Marian I’d go with Anne Hathaway or Kat McPhee. Eulalie Shinn: Laurie Metcalf or Debra Messing. Mayor Shinn: John O’Hurley [perfect pompous windbag]. Marcellus is a bit more difficult. Brooklynesque but able to sing and dance. I don’t know if Willie Garson [Mozzie on White Collar] can sing, but he’d do.

• Drew says:

I can’t watch Adam Lambert. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

• Mary says:

I think he would be great for it. Well respected in TV and Broadway – probably would pull in big numbers for them as long as they gave him good supporting cast.

• Gail says:

Hugh Jackman as Prof Harold Hill would be awesome and will never happen. As has been pointed out the actors need to commit 3 months to these shows which limits the people willing to do it.

8. Lyn says:

Desert Song [with the enthralling Sigmund Romberg score].
    Kismet [gotta love Borodin]
    Guys & Dolls [preferably with Harry Connick Jr. as Nathan Detroit]
    South Pacific
    Singing In The Rain

9. Tran says:

Guess Peter Pan wasn’t as great than Sound of Music was last year. What other live musicals does NBC have planned in store next year? My list of candidates: Annie, Mamma Mia, Chicago, West Side Story and The Music Man.

10. Boiler says:

With the Bears on CBS n Chicago fear they over rated. Too bad for Elementary if true. Why do 3.3 million care about the Taste? Go to other networks that have this crap

11. A says:

Bones went up due to mainly the TBBT on repeat….next week when it’s 200th ep will go up against a new TBBT and sadly it will down again…wish next week was the repeat of TBBT cos his ep was meh

• Ella says:

I’mm hoping next week’s Bones ratings will still be okay because it isn’t competing with Grey’s Anatomy on top of TBBT. At least DVR ratings might be better

• July Lark says:

TBBT was down 2 points and Gray’s replacement down at least .5 and Bones only gained .2, hmm, maybe it due to making BnB your middle aged mom and dad now, dumbing down Bth to having to take days off for an online driving test and making newbie agent the new Bones lead. ugh, suddenly the 3 month hiatus is looking mighty good now.

12. ggny says:

So what we can take from it is that it was WAY to long.

13. wrstlgirl says:

Reign was great last night. It was a very intense episode.

14. Iakovos says:

I suspect everyone is thrilled ABC’s buzzy dramas are on hiatus until January 29. Glad to see CBS holds its own. Figured BIG BANG would compete well with PETER PAN LIVE! Happy to see McCARTHYS (I must be one of the few fans) hang on, too. Never really cared for PETER PAN, even as a kid. THE SOUND OF MUSIC would draw more adults and that is why I think is partly why its numbers were higher than PETER PAN.

15. kmw says:

Great that Bones rose considering we knew Booth was not going to be heavy in this episode. I know it was not going up against Greys or a new TBBT but given the fans frustration with show right know it is very good news. Hopefully next with 200th episode will better

16. Jen says:

I wonder how much effect the general backlash over SOM (the casting, the wooden acting, etc.) had on the ratings for this production

17. Moment says:

I suspect Two and a Half Men, Mom and Elementary will tumble in the finals. By up to what 5 tenths maybe?

18. Jest obraźliwe dla normalnie myślących ludzi!!!

19. Babygate says:

I tuned in last night during the Peter Pan has found a mother scene and Christopher Walken looked drunk, high and lost, like he had forgotten his lines. It was such a disaster I immediately changed the channel. That was the worst piece of casting ever.

20. AW says:

How about Les Miz Live with Hugh Jackman?

21. kmw says:

I Still think Bones doing better last was good especially because you never know how many were willing to DVR it watch PETER PAN live. Last nights episode was better only because Wendall had the bigger story but that was because David Boreanaz was not really available The scene in the FBI office is a perfect example of why some of us are upset. They used to banter like that ALL the time. The last 5 episodes they have had ONLY 3 scenes together per episode. I liked Aubrey at the beginning but this too much. Sweets was never shoved down our throats like this. How many more episodes does Booth need to trust Aubrey? I cannot see ratings for Bones ever getting even a little bit better after next weeks show. I hate to say it but without Booth and Brennan leading cases at least most of the way thru it has been mostly boring. Add to that no real romantic interaction (talking about sex is NOT to me considered showing romantic affection). We do not necessarily need to SEE sex scenes but all they are doing at home is talking about their day. There is more to romance than just sex of course but they are not really acting like a couple in love, especially given how they were apart this past summer. Right now Bones is proving why tv shows do not marry off their couples. Bones has David and Emily, two actors who have great chemistry together and right now it is being wasted Hoping for better shows to come after break

22. Moment says:

That’s the sound of the four CBS shows falling hard in the finals. I think I was a bit generous with my prediction, though I wasn’t far off lol.

23. Laura C says:

I didn’t watch Peter Pan. I’m glad that Bones is doing well even though I’m still mad at them for killing off Sweets.

24. kmw says:

Some of the things that I thought about Bones has just been confirmed. Still would like to know how it would be easier for them to be in the field later rather than now. I hope they can find a way to give them more scenes together

25. Dick Whitman says:

Peter Pan: To die will be an awfully big adventure.
    At the point in this 3 hour marathon when Peter made that statement I thought to myself, “Take me with you Peter, please take me with you.”