Girl Meets World Recap: The Curious Case of Shawn Hunter

What began as an epic reunion 13 years in the making (Cory + Shawn 4ever!) quickly devolved into the most uncomfortably real holiday ever on Friday’s Girl Meets World.

RELATED Girl Meets World: Eric, Mr. Feeny & More Returning in Season 2 — First Photo

Was it Thanksgiving? Was it Christmas? Was it both? We may never get the answer to those questions, but thanks to multiple awkward interrogations, we did learn the reason Shawn left New York 13 years ago: He felt left out after Cory and Topanga had Riley!

Naturally, it was Shawn’s mini-me Maya — I love that they addressed that head-on, by the way — who got him to eventually admit the truth. I see a lot of bonding in their future, especially now that we know Shawn will be back more in Season 2.

GMW‘s ambiguous holiday episode also featured the return of (most of) Cory’s family, including his parents and younger brother Joshua, who was a lot younger the last time we saw him. Now he’s the “cool uncle,” yet another sore spot for Shawn. (Maya, meanwhile, could not be more thirsty for Josh, and she makes no apologies for it.)

It was great to see the old gang again — I especially loved Topanga and Amy’s relationship as in-laws — but did anyone else think it was weird that no one mentioned Eric? Or Morgan? Or Angela? Oh well, they’ll all have their day.

I now leave you with my favorite quotes from the episode:

* “Minkus reproduced?!” — Shawn to Cory upon meeting Farkle

* “Look at this, my favorite person in the world… and my wife!” — Cory to Shawn and Topanga

What was your favorite part of tonight’s episode? Any lingering questions? Drop a comment with all your thoughts below.

1. Best episode yet from Girl Meets World. You have a great story to tell and no heavy handed Disney “Lesson of the Week.” If the show can continue being this good, it may one day rival it’s predecessor. Also, is it wrong that I want Maya to become Riley’s Aunt?

2. Cobra says:

For anyone who ever watched the original show, this episode was a real treat.
    -Cory and Shawn sleeping and “yipping.” – “Interesting, in my class, Mr. Hunter handles the yipping.”
    – “Li-ar.”
    -Cory and Shawn singing and dancing
    -“My whole life.”

• Seuss says:

Yes, yes, yes! You nailed it. I loved this ep. It had a tinge of the old Boy Meets World glory days. Now I’m just waiting on some Eric time, but so glad to hear Shawn will be around for season 2.

3. Network says:

The Shawn and Cory show act was my fave along with Joshua’s version later in the episode (Auggie saying “I would never watch that show” made me lol”). This show is great the way it is. It strikes the same right tone Degrassi did when it first rebooted. Some side stories with the old generation here and there are fine and good but it’s a new show with a new cast and that’s where the main stories should be. All my opinion obviously (which will now be hit with replies of others who still in this day and age think it’s fine to state opinions as facts)

• Laura says:

I agree both that this feels similar to what Degrassi did and that it’s the right way to go. This show needs to stand on its own.

4. Todd says:

It was Christmas. Most people don’t exchange presents on Thanksgiving.

5. Jebbypal says:

I’ve been a long time follower of first Ausiello pre-tvline, and then TVLine itself. However, if 2 things are not remedied soon I will be swearing it off:
    First, Stop having auto-play videos down at the bottom of pages. Autoplay videos in general suck, and they are even worse when they are actual Ads instead of related to the story I clicked on.

Second, STOP having ads that auto-open the app store on apple devices. I’m sick of 2/5 stories on TVline doing this, especially since once the feature is triggered, it happens constantly meaning I have to give up on reading the article I wanted to read. Sometimes I can stop it, but then I get error messages every five seconds – this visit to this page it’s tried to trigger it every 15 seconds.

I know you have to make money on your site, but you should do it in a way that doesn’t drive away readers and subscribers.

• Cobra says:

THIRD, please monitor the comments section for people complaining about ads not related to the content while posting comments not related to the content.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The “app store” issue has been investigated thoroughly by our technical team, and it has been determined to be a user-side issue born of a sketchy gaming app that’s floating around out there. Our tech team nonetheless is working diligently to identity the malicious bug and somehow insulate TVLINE users from it. –Mgmt.

• LemonLime says:

Hey Matt, I know Ausiello is going through a really hard family time right now, but I wanted to say you’ve done a great job just really being there for us Ausholes so we don’t feel Michael’s absense too hard. Kudos.

• LemonLime says:

And the rest of the TVLine gang as well, of course. I don’t mean to leave anyone out, you are all awesome.

• Sorry Guys I Hate Ads says:

Adblocking software takes care of the ads…

• Chris says:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s TVLine’s fault, I assumed it was more of an Apple thing (Definitely on Safari, haven’t tested if it does it on Chrome). There are tons of webpages that do it. It’s annoying, sure, but it only takes a few seconds to switch back so it’s not a huge deal. Now if it crashed my browser and reset what I was reading then I’d be a little miffed.

6. samantha says:

More more more shawn

7. Lynne says:

“Minkus reproduced?!” was the exact thing I said when I found out Farkle was his son. Loved that.
    I did find it strange that no one mentioned Eric or Morgan. I was expecting something explaining their absence. Eric was at Feeny’s (you know he would!) and Morgan maybe with her boyfriend or husband’s family this time? Something!! No mention of Angela I get because she and Shawn have not been together for almost 15 years!!! Dont think someone would pine over their ex for THAT long.
    Cute nostalgic episode for us Boy fans and I will admit I teared up when Shawn was talking about when Riley was born, time, weight and all. Loved seeing Alan, Amy and Josh but I NEED PLAYS WITH SQUIRRELS!!!! :D

8. A. D. says:

Was an AMAZING episode!!!

9. Bozo says:

The show has really hit its stride these last five episodes. They’re mixing good humor with meaningful stories. I look forward to the show whenever I know it’s going to be on because I know it will make me smile.

10. Amanda says:

It was great!!! Reminded me so much of the show I grew up with and loved seeing Shawn, Cory parents, and Joshua back. Looking forward to seeing more of them as well as Eric and Mr. Feeny next season. Am a bit confused at conversation with Shawn and Maya seemed to make it hint that they share the same father. It doesn’t fit with the original show’s timeline but seemed like the writers were trying to make it seem like they’re half siblings.

• Lynne says:

Impossible for them having same father. Chet died before Josh was born.

• julie says:

I think that Maya and Shawn weren’t hinting at being related. They were getting to know each other for the first time. They were surprised by their similarities between their interests they discussed at the bakery and their personal histories and experiences.

• Jazmine says:

I was thinking more of him becoming a father figure for her. Since he said ‘ill never let anyone grow up like that’ and Riley wanted them to get close

• Sarah says:

Agreed. Shawn gets her. He’s doing what Mr. Turner did for him: giving Maya someone stable, someone who would watch out for her.

Also see similarities between Maya’s dad going off and having a family, and Chet’s first wife going off and having her own, which is how Jack came to be. It’s possible that Maya may have reached out to her dad’s family to try and connect with her halfsiblings (if she has any), but seemingly getting rejected like Shawn did (Jack’s mom hid all of Shawn’s letters to Jack when Shawn was 8 and wanted to write to him).

• Dys says:

The writers weren’t trying to hint that they were siblings, they were just trying to hunt that they have similarities in their lives.

• Amanda Grace says:

I thought it was more of a hint that Shawn might be Mia’s dad and the other family was the Mathews but that’s just what I thought so.

• Adam Lenhardt says:

I agree. At the same time, I’m glad the show stated that Shawn would never let a kid grow up that way. If he IS Maya’s dad, he doesn’t know he’s Maya’s dad.

The finale’s supposed to have a big revelation, so my guess is that we’ll know, one way or the other.

• Adam Lenhardt says:

Another theory I like is that Jack turns out to be Maya’s deadbeat dad.

• Amanda says:

Both of those theories would work. I thought maybe he was her dad too but Maya has mentioned her father before. It was just weird with how the writers wrote it. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought Shawn and Maya were related. Maya being Jack’s daughter and Shawn’s niece would work too.

• Angela says:

Please STOP with the “Shawn is Maya’s dad” stuff it’s gotten tiresome overall. Shawn would NEVER abandon his kid and Maya KNOWS who her father is *sigh*

• Jake says:

We don’t actually know Maya does know who her dad is. All we know is that he has a different family, and that was the only thing mentioned about him previously as well. Its definitely possible but we’ll see what happens

• Jake says:

That’s what I thought too, I wish they made that part just a little more clear cause i’ve been dying to figure out what that last part really meant

• Jake says:

Actually, upon further inspection, Cory tells Shawn to meet someone and start a life. Maya could definitely hook Shawn and her mother up, and he could even end up not letting her live the way he did, and not be her real father at all.

• Nicole says:

To me it made it sound more like Shawn and Maya would end up having the same relationship Shawn had with Mr. Turner.

• Amanda says:

I could totally see that happening. The writing just confused me as it seemed like Maya was trying to make a point to Shawn that they were related. Seems like a lot of other viewers thought the same as me and some that Shawn is her father. I also like the theory that Shawn’s half-brother Jack is Maya’s father.

• erica says:

I took it more as an implication that Shawn would end up being a father-figure for Maya since he was saying that he would never want anyone to grow up without parents who were there for them. I suppose it’s totally plausible that Shawn just gets married and has kids, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the writers made Shawn (for all intents and purposes) be the Mr. Turner for Maya.

• Alicia says:

The way I understood it, theor talk made Shawn realize or acknowledge he would never do that to his own family. Maybe he’s been scared to commit because he was afraid he would turn out like his parents.

• Adam says:

I was thinking they was hinting that Shawn was mayas father

11. Tom says:

Eric and Morgan could have other places to be

12. Jenny B says:

zomg, that was by far the best episode of the series so far!

13. waynedeeny says:

Love that Shawn was on the show best show ever.

14. Ah, nice. Well, it’s not surprising given his reaction in the wedding episode in the original series.

15. Stacie says:

-Not at all surprised that this was the best episode of the series. They mixed the old crew well with the new crew, including Josh, who fit right in perfectly, a great blend of Cory and Eric. I love Shawn, and I think by bringing him back it brought back the old silly Cory. Sure Cory has his more serious and touching moments but he is also silly, and he hasn’t been that silly this series because most of the focus has been on the 2 girls.
    -Also it was definitely Christmas because there was a Christmas tree and presents.
    -I loved loved loved that they brought back the sleeping bit by Shawn and Cory. That was from maybe 2nd season Boy Meets World when Cory and Shawn were sleeping in Mr. Turner’s class and one of them was doing the snoring and the other was doing the “yip yip yips” and they wake up and see Feeny and Turner standing there watching them. Great call back. One that only real loyal Boy Meets World fans will identify because they only did it one time I believe. So great.
    -Great Minkus reference. So smart.
    -I hope they bring back Angela. I mean I know she “abandoned” Shawn for a year, but that was like 12 years ago. I think if she is available it would be amazing if she returned and they reunited.

16. Joey Padron says:

Great episode. It was good to see Cory & Shawn together again like in Boy Meets World. Good to see Cory’s parents again. Teenage Joshua is good. Can’t wait to see Shawn again in season 2!

17. Kate from Jax says:

I ended up being way more nostalgic during this episode than I thought I would be! It was back to TGIF, but I’m in my own house and own couch now! It was funny and I loved the Maya/Riley and Shawn/Corey relationship. Yeah, I would make this regular viewing if Shawn was on more often. I haven’t felt so much like a child of the 90s for quite a while!

18. mdbchud says:

Absolutely perfect. Exactly what I wanted. Love this cast. Perfect way to bring Shawn in and give him organic reasons to be around occasionally. Hope for the same thing when Eric returns.

19. Brandy says:

This episode made me so happy, and really made me wish Shawn was a regular. It really felt like Boy Meets World again for the first time.

20. 4theloveoffilm says:

Aside from no mention of the missing alums, the episode was PERFECTION. I loved, loved, loved it. Perfect blend of comedy and sentiment.

21. NoJoe says:

I think that scene between Shawn and Maya DOES possibly imply he is her father at least based on exactly how it was done unless it was a mistake on the writer’s part they didn’t catch. Throughout the entire episode she is very cold toward Shawn and we are immediately given a believable reason: Riley thinks Shawn hates her so Maya being the same kind of best friend that Shawn is to Cory, it would make sense she would take huge objection to that and protect her best friend. But then Shawn proves himself (as always) then Riley realizes/understands and forgives him and then makes Shawn and Maya talk to each other to see their similarities; again you’re not expecting anything because being Cory’s daughter there’s no way Riley doesn’t know Shawn’s story so its not as if Riley is trying to get anything out of it. But then when Shawn starts seeing Maya has the same parental problems as he did then says “I would never let a kid grow up like that” and Maya keeps asking “you wouldn’t?” (and you can tell each new time she asks, she’s asking challengingly) and he keeps saying no then when she asks for the third time Shawn goes “No” followed by a pause then a very “oh crap” kind of “oh…”. Again unless it was a mistake on the writer’s part they didn’t realize at least to me there’s no other reason for the scene and dialogue to be written like that other than at least implying if not subtly revealing that Shawn IS her father. Jack possibly being Maya’s father thus Shawn being her uncle wouldn’t be a bad idea but if that’s the case, that technically has nothing to do with Shawn and his actions and lead Maya to ask HIM those questions. I truly feel no other reason would cause Shawn (or anybody) to all of a sudden say “oh” like that in that type of conversation. Maya keeping on asking the questions is her trying to get him to realize the truth of the matter.

• NoJoe says:

And actually after watching it again, maybe Riley DOES know something…. Because she tells Cory and Shawn in her room “she has her eyes set on a much bigger prize” as if she wants Maya to confront Shawn and have Shawn realize as well. I didn’t notice that last night. But again, that scene had just too much in it for that NOT to be the case. But again just my opinion.

• Shaun says:

maybe the prize was him taking Maya with them.

• Amanda says:

That’s part of the reaction I saw thought like I said in my comment above I took it as being they shared the same father and Shawn was part of his other family. However seeing the theory about Shawn’s brother Jack that would fit to me too. Jack then basically would’ve done the exact same thing Chet did. If Shawn was Maya’s dad I agree he had no knowledge of it. However we know Maya knows her dad so I think it being Jack is more likely now and would explain Shawn having a bigger role next season.

• Kaitlyn says:

Well, at one point Shawn “knew who his mom was” but she wasn’t really his mom. Some stripper was. Maybe Shawn and Mayas mom were together, Shawn left, mom found out she was pregnant, got with another guy, so according to Maya, this guy was her dad. When really it was Shawn all along without him or Maya knowing. That’s what I think at least. It would clear up the whole thing about the dad who left and started another family.

• Mel says:

The “oh” part was because Maya was trying to make Shawn realize that he DID do that with Riley – not his own daughter. So now he’ll be around more to make amends with Riley.

• Angela says:

OMG NO IT DOESN’T. I feel like banging my head against the wall. The GMW Writer’s already said Shawn is NOT Maya’s father

• Langston says:

I think what they meant by that scene was that they both realized Riley’s bigger plan.
      Then I’m not for sure, but to me I think the bigger plan is her wanting Shawn to have a bit of a father figure (sort of like Mr. Turner).

22. MattySi says:

Best episode of GMW ever! I laughed, I cried, I watched it twice!

23. Not going to lie I totally got teary eyed during this episode. It was so good to see Shawn and Cory back together. Also loved Topanga saying “All my life” LOL. Have to agree that it was weird that there was no mention of Eric or Morgan.

24. Denae Aranda says:

What’s Joshua real full name I want info about him

25. Jared Munson says:

I’m going to break up this theory: The writers confirmed on their twitter page that Shawn is not Maya’s father.

26. J says:

Could Shawn be Maya’s father

• Jared Munson says:

“.@laurens123410 Shawn is not Maya’s dad. But will learn a lesson from Maya’s dad.” – @GMWWriters

• NJMark says:

Once some fans get something in their heads, it’s hard for them to let go, no matter what the facts.

To dispense with the annoying “Bring back Pam!” crowd, the (now-cancelled) “Dallas” revival explicitly declared that Pam died in 1989. The death certificate was found, and her doctor explained how Cliff Barnes paid him off to keep quiet so that Christopher – a dreaded Ewing – couldn’t inherit her shares of Barnes’s company.

But no. All we got out of that was “the death certificate’s fake! Bring back Pam!”

27. Justin Kean says:

I think there will be a twist with Shawn. Maybe he is Mia’s dad. It makes since, especially in his and Mia’s Conversation.

28. lordgray says:

What a beautifull episode. I laughed really hard when Farkle appeared, and loved the Maya/Shawn moments. Am I the only one who wishes a storyline like the one Mr Turner/Shawn had but with Shawn/Maya?

29. Angel says:

Can Shawn stay forever?

30. Ken Luong says:

You just set it on the part where Sean said ” Minkus Reproduced?!?!?!”. That was the most funniest part ever!!!!!!

31. Nick says:

Andy: Did you notice, they kept saying that Shawn treated Riley awkwardly previously but near the end of the episode, Shawn said it had been 13 years? Did I miss something?

32. Shannon says:

Shawn is not Mya’s father, please accept that. What Mya was referencing is the fact Shawn loves Riley so much that he couldn’t look at her, but five minutes after Riley was born he took off and let Riley grow up thinking he hated her.

33. Ram510 says:

That was the best episode they’ve had yet!
    And I hope they at least mention of not cameo the rest of the gang. Eric, Morgan, Angela and Shawns brother Jack and even Rachel are missed and I think it’d be nice to give the fans at least that much to know what has happened to them
    Also I t was clear to me (at least by the end) that it was Christmas since thier was a tree and the exchanges gifts.

34. Ram510 says:

I wonder how they were able to change Will Friedle’s mind on doing the show. Anyhow it’s going to be great to have him in the show.
    Is thier any word on when a new episode will air?

35. Kristina says:

SO much awesome in one episode!!! I found it really weird that they didn’t mention Eric at all (I forgot about Morgan lol). I love this show, but bringing back some of the original characters took it to a whole new level. Hoping for more of the same!

36. wsh 71 says:

I really enjoyed the entire episode it hit hard on a LOT of the feelings that Shawn had. I really thought that the episode was hinting that Mia and Shawn are related but to have his character step in so Mia has an adult in her life that’s dependable will be awesome! Thanks for an old/new Christmas episode for the whole family :)

37. Concerned says:

Well it seems to me the writers are hinting Shawn IS the father I mean right? Why else say all that

38. bubbly says:

ALot of people think that shawn is mayas dad or something and thats what maya was hinting it, in there conversation but i think she was more hinting at the fact that she has grown up in the same situation as he did (still is) and he has let her.

39. rachelle says:

LOVED this episode. I love this freaking show! It’s so adorable and it makes me feel like I’m a kid again. It’s sweet and warm. I screamed when Shawn came on and texted my sister in all caps about how happy I was! I missed him so much! I wish he’d drop by the show more often in the future (like twice a season). Like others have mentioned, I laughed and I cried. The nostalgia! I saved this episode to watch over and over again. I will keep watching this show until it’s no longer on the air.

40. Shannon says:

Riley’s “plan” will be revealed in an upcoming episode – Girl Meets Master Plan ;)

41. Nicole says:

I loved the part when Uncle Josh was singing in the girls bedroom. “Two grown men in a girls bedroom window and nobody thinks thats wierd. A wink😜” lol. Though actually my actual favorite part was when the family was in the livingroom and Uncle Josh said, “You grew up gorgeous” lol. Hehehehehehehehe!!!!

42. aeromel78 says:

Why do you keep saying we don’t know what holiday it was? It was clearly Christmas, ya know, on account of the tree and the exchange of presents that don’t normally happen on other holidays.

I was SO excited for this episode and it didn’t disappoint. Can’t wait to me of Corey and Shawn, as well as Shawn’s mentoring relationship with the girls. I think he’ll be a great father-figure for Maya.

43. Markida says:

“hi Mrs. Corey, Hi Mr. Corey,” Best line ever!

44. HeidiG says:

The best part by far was Cory and Shawn sleeping on the couch!

45. Johannah says:

My favorite quotes form the “Home for the Holidays”
    1.I’ll say yeah last says Shawn to Maya then Maya says yeah and then Shawn says yeah and then Maya says to the air yeah

46. Ray says:

I’ll admit it, I loved Mayas jab about Shawn being Coreys ” boyfriend “, we all know if he didnt get with Topanga, they would have gotten together

47. Kali davis says:

When maya and Shawn are at the window talking and he said “I will never let my kids be raised like that” saying he will not raise them like he was raised and maya asked 2 times, I got a weird feeling that Shawn may be Maya’s dad? What’s up with that ? I didn’t understand. I would really like to know.

48. Emily says:

Shawn is not Maya’s father, but Riley wants them (Shawn and Maya) to have each other, to fill the void they’re both dealing with in terms of crappy childhood home lives. This gives Shawn reason to be around more, thus keeping fans happy.

49. Laniez says:

It was nice to now that her uncle cared

50. macchief says:

I forgot about Morgan, I noticed Eric missing and not being mentioned but somehow I forgot about Morgan.