Mindy Project Recap: Space Invaders

The Mindy Project Season 3 Recap

Quick quiz: This week’s Mindy Project is a…

1. … sharply written, wicked half hour of comedy?

2. … well-crafted way of forwarding Mindy and Danny’s relationship?

3. … an excuse to have nearly every male member of the cast shed his shirt?

Oh, you know the answer is all of the above. (And yes, Peter, I said “male member.” Stop snickering.)

Dr. Prentiss’ slow evolution from Dartmouth frat jerk to actual adult provides the main plot for Tuesday’s episode, but what’s far more interesting is how the manchild helps Danny — whom we saw have a mini, mental relationship freak-out in last week’s installment — inch ever closer to making a decision about his future with Mindy.

Plus, Danny and Peter wind up in the shower together. And that’s just plain funny.

Let’s review what happens in “What About Peter?”

PETER’S NEW PLACE | When Mindy and Peter stop by his apartment on the way to a Rihanna appearance, she’s horrified by his disgusting, fratty roommates and the general slovenliness of the place. Peter himself isn’t very happy with the way things are, so Mindy sets him up as a renter for Danny’s spare apartment.

Danny’s not psyched about the idea, but Peter’s plea that he needs a “grown-up living situation. Right now, I’m a grown-up who lives like The Situation” (heh) sways Dr. Castellano to give him a lease.

Of course, it’s not long before he’s spending the night on Danny’s couch — Peter’s old roomies destroyed his bed before he moved out” — and showering in Danny’s bathroom.

The latter is a hilarious sequence that begins with Chris Messina removing his scrub top and uttering, “Give me some of that brown butter” as he steps into the steam, thinking he’s meeting Mindy, and ends with wet, nude Danny and Peter getting stuck in the door as they both try to exit the stall quickly. It’s not even Christmas yet, Mindy Project, and you’re already doling out the gifts.

MAKE ROOM FOR MINDY | Mindy argues on Peter’s behalf, but when she finds out from Danny’s contractor that her guy is thinking about combining the apartments to “make room for family,” she (naturally) assumes that means he wants her to move in. So she does an abrupt about-face and evicts Peter… who throws a giant party that trashes the space and lands him in the hospital.

The party also provides the backdrop for Mindy to realize that Danny wasn’t thinking about their family when he asked the contractor about combining units; he had Ma in mind. (Side note: What else is new?) But when Dr. C visits his colleague in the hospital, even though Peter’s “legit concussed,” he points out that Danny knows Mindy’s looking to get married and he should have known she’d be thinking about moving in.

TWO’S COMPANY? | So Danny makes the least romantic offer ever for his lady to move into Casa Castellano — “I’m nervous about it, really, really nervous, but if you want to move in, I want to give it a try” — and I am very proud of Mindy when she turns him down. She doesn’t want to do it unless he’s as excited and certain about their future as she is, she says, asserting that “I’m going to be fine, no matter what happens.” (I like this side of Mindy. It would be nice to see it come out a little more often.)

Naturally, Danny then decides that he does want to live with Mindy. “Well, then, you should ask me sometime when you’re not really, really nervous,” she says. Get it, girl!

MORGAN THE MANNY | Elsewhere, Lauren leaves her son, Henry, with Jeremy. The gig turns into a wailing mess — for both babysitter and babysittee — until Morgan shows up and has the magic touch… which involves removing his shirt. (Don’t worry; it’s weird, but not gross). When the men realize that the baby only likes Jeremy when he’s hurt, the Brit proceeds to take part in slapstick — despite the fact that he bruises “like a peach” — until the kiddo falls asleep. Did you happen to catch Jeremy’s line that maybe he isn’t cut out for dating a woman with kids? Could there will be hope for Lauren and Peter? Should there be?

Now it’s your turn. What was your favorite line from the episode? Did Mindy speak for us all when she said, “Those reading glasses are making me horny?” Sound off in the comments!

1. mary says:

Best episode of the season in my opinion! I loved Mindy and Peter’s relationship being highlighted. I loved Mindy, Danny and Peter- they are the dream team of this show. I loved that there was no Annette. Most of all I FLOVED that last scene, how Mindy handled Danny and how Mindy Kaling played it.

I love Mindy & Danny together and there is no question it makes the show stronger but Danny is acting like a selfish mamas boy ass who is way to wrapped up in his issues and frankly Mindy could do much better (and I love Danny) so I am glad she is setting boundaries and standing up for herself. That last scene was perfection!

• Ray says:

I must disagree. I found this episode weak for a number of reasons. First of all, the bit with Danny finding Peter in the shower instead of Mindy was telegraphed from a mile away. Really obvious and lazy writing. Likewise, who didn’t see the misunderstanding about the second apartment coming? Clearly Danny had been reserving the space for his Ma, Anette.

Also, by and large Hindus don’t eat beef. Mindy has made it a point to declare that she is a Hindu several times on the show so her polishing off two large steaks in one sitting doesn’t right with me.

• Veronica says:

I’m thinking maybe Mindy isn’t such a great Hindu, which is something that has been stated throughout the series with lines like, “Obviously I’m pretty sure I’m Hindu” and her thinking she could easily convert to Christianity for her minister boyfriend. She’s also pretty excited about Christmas every year. Steak has been mentioned before too. So she’s similar to my Jewish college roommate, who didn’t eat pork and called herself Orthodox but scarfed down the Howard Johnson fried clams and pepperoni pizza (both forbidden to observant Jews). Was my roommate poorly-written or just a real person?

P.S. Raj on Big Bang Theory also eats burgers, and he is FROM India. So perhaps offbeat television characters aren’t the best practitioners.

Great episode, though I do wonder why Mindy would want to stick with Danny when it would inevitably involve his mom moving in with them. She doesn’t strike me as the type that wouldn’t be bothered by it, unless she’s thinking Annette could watch the kids while she works.

• Mary says:

Are you serious? It’s a religious doctrine that doesn’t mean all the members of that religion follow it. I know this by all my Jewish and Muslim friends who eat more bacon then I do and my mormon friends who can’t get enough coffee. Just because the character is a religion doesn’t mean she’d follow all of its rules, that is absurd very few people in the world do that. So that is a ridiculous complaint about the episode.

Yes the shower scene was obvious but it was still funny. The last scene was not obvious, it flipped the script so I can overlook one trope scene.

• Jay says:

I can confirm I am Hindu and eat beef (so clearly not a very good one like Mindy)

• S. says:

I think it was supposed to be obvious. We all knew that had to be Peter in there, so instead of a ‘wow so funny, turns out that was Peter!’ it was about watching Danny about to make a huge mistake after a funny comment about, I think, brown butter. Whether it’s the moving in storyline or the babysitting one, they’re sending up tropes, not playing into them. They do it all the time with standard rom com situations.

2. S. says:

Great recap. High five on the “male member” joke because I am a child. I enjoyed seeing Peter’s frat buddy Pubes, and yes also the fact that Mindy told Danny to ask her to move in when he wasn’t really really nervous. He looked like he was actually gonna take her up on that. Also, when he’s thinking about Nanette moving in, it could mean that she has a nice, big, safe place in the city while he and Mindy get a place of their own together. Just a slight tweak to his plan means everybody, including the Mindy/Danny fandom, wins. Speaking of the future, I hope the Christmas episode gives us more Danny in red glasses making a gingerbread house.

3. NJ says:

Yesterday I read an article in the guardian about how ‘Seinfeld’ Mindy Lahiri was . And boom! Kramer reference :)

4. I.R.E. says:

Yeah, I think Peter should change his mind of staying put in this show. He’s doing okay, but if he has some problems on his own, then he should continue explaining more.

Well I still look forward for one more additional episode to make it 22 and I also still look forward for increasing this show’s main cast from 8 to 12 members. Well if Allison Tolman cannot return and Tracey Wingfield is recurring more, then Tracey should be one of the 12 members and we can forget about Allison peacefully. Zoe Jarman should be finished earning money on her alternative job as a writer of Workaholics so she can return to this show and catch up with this show’s main cast as the other of the 12 members in this show.

Beverly, Annette, Dot, Jean and Tamra are absent in this episode.

I’m glad Morgan taught Jeremy how to take care of Lauren’s baby. But of course, Morgan made a mistake in the end on his own and Jeremy knows how to solve the problem one second afterwards, which is funny.

5. Sarah T. says:

Good episode. I like how they’re playing Danny as a little nervous. I don’t really think he’s unsure about his relationship with Mindy, I think she’s just pushing him out of his comfort zone (in a good way). Really wish Peter was sticking around! He’s such a great addition to this cast and has such good interaction with the rest of the crew.