The Originals' Claire Holt on Rebekah Reuniting With Marcel, Giving Up Hope

The Originals Rebekah Marcel

The Mikaelsons “start to fall back into their familiar patterns” when Rebekah returns to New Orleans on The Originals‘ Dec. 8 midseason finale (The CW, 8/7c) — but does that mean a rekindling of the Rebekah/Marcel flame is in order?

“I will say that I definitely shot a scene with him,” Claire Holt tells TVLine of her screen time with Charles Michael Davis, “but I can’t say whether it’s romantic or positive or whatever.”

RELATED Fall Finales 2014: Exclusive Photos and Spoilers on 24 Midseason Climaxes

Either way, Holt says her two episodes back — the first of which aired Nov. 24 — were “beautiful” to shoot because “when Rebekah left in Episode 116, it was just a crazy time for her. There was a lot of tension and friction [with her brothers], so this is one of the few times the family can come back together on the same team.” (Well, almost the entire family.)

The most difficult part of Rebekah’s visit, of course, will be returning baby Hope to her parents, a task Holt admits her character struggles with. Big time.

“We learn how much raising Hope has led Rebekah to crave that child of her own, even more so now than she already did,” Holt explains. “She knows Hayley is Hope’s mother, and she has to return her, but she’s fiercely protective and loves that child. It’s going to be difficult for her.”

And even though Rebekah is only slated to appear in these final two episodes of 2014, Holt reminds us the possibility for another visit is always open.

“I love this show,” she says, “and you never know where the story is going to go. I wouldn’t shut the door.”

What do you hope the future holds for Rebekah, Marcel and the rest of the Big Easy’s supernatural residents? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

1. Laura says:

Does this mean Hope is coming back on the show?

2. Leslie says:

Sounds to me like Hope will be coming home to be with her parents.

3. Mica says:

I have a feeling Esther will successfully move Rebekah into Cami’s body. While I think Leah Marie Pipes is the best actress on the show, nobody can replace Holt as Rebekah. It will be a way for them to bring Rebekah back and not have to worry about Holt’s schedule. Guess we’ll see!

4. Melanie says:

I still don’t understand why Holt left the show. You finally get your own spin off show and leave in its first season? That’s a little strange.

• Mary Kate says:

Apparently she never wanted to be that role for that long in the first place. I read somewhere that she worked it out with the producers before TO was even picked up. I agree though, why give up a steady job?!

• Anesu says:

I think it was really a combination of factors , she said she wanted time with her family shes australian. Season 1 of the originals was her fourth season playing Rebekah, thats like 4 years its completely plausable shed want to do somethingelse.
      She has a new job on NBC’s Aquarious as a series regular.

5. sarah j says:

I like Clare Holt and I can see her wanting the leave the show or reduce the amount of episodes she is in if she was exhausted. However her original departure came at the same time her NBC show was picked up. So I am sure part of the reason was because she was going to be the lead on the new show. That would make her more exhausted than she was on when filming the Originals. There may be more to the story than we all know!

6. Sara says:

So, the writers really don’t get that a lot of fans are completely turned off by Hope’s presence then? Ugh. The one smart thing they did was to have Hope be off screen.

7. Donna MaMa says:

I heard that she did not like being in Canada, she wanted to be in LA. Strange cause Haley is an Aussie as well, so she had company from her homeland

8. I don’t get it tbh….this show was sold on the family aspect from TVD aka Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah now we have Klaus, Elijah and Khol honestly its a very male leading show if you dont count Hayley or Cami.

• lechatnoir says:

its very male dominated and that’s a great thing . The vampire chicas are annoying with their mundane love triangles. The fellas should feast on them and move to the next ones . I am not bothered by Hailie , I just find her soulless .Even the Swamp vampires have more interesting screen presence than her.

9. Lexy says:

I would absolutely love to see Rebekah back on the Originals full time, but strictly as Claire Holt. I like Leah Pipes, but I like her as Cami and Claire as Rebekah. It is the Originals after all. Am I crazy that I want to have Freya make an appearance? I know she’s “dead”, but Ansel made an appearance and died again. I know she was human, but she did have the bloodline of a witch, no? I wouldn’t like to see her put into anyone’s body though.
    I would absolutely love to see more Rebekah though.

10. Atiya Spence says:

I want the family back together. I love The Originals so much.

11. zed says:

Well, they will probably move Rebekah into Cami’s body- whatever…one more Original gone i.e. one more original actor gone. Btw, it is reported that Claire is/was testing for Supergirl….I hope she gets the role…I will be watching that show… As for the rest of the Mikaelson drama- if the Hope returns than there will be drama about keeping her safe… and I guess Dahlia will appear at some point and probably take her…and then maybe Esther, Klaus and co will have to join forces to fight the wicked aunt witch…

12. Amy says:

Thank god they’re gonna show some more Rebekah/Marcel scenes! Honestly some of the best parts of the show last season were their scenes together especially the first couple of episodes where they were building up the sexual tension between the two. I know she’s only back for two episodes but still I’m excited. Cami/Marcel is just off and doesn’t feel right, Macel/Rebekah was just perfect, Marcel had more chemistry with Rebekah than any other romantic interest she’s had on tvd/originals, Stefan, Damon, and Matt included…..

13. KeityTee says:

Mmh!!I love the chemestry between Rebekah and Marcel.#Rebel#

14. Irene says:

I think it is a great but will be better if rebekah and marcel were together