Parks and Recreation's Final Season: Dates Set for Premiere... and Finale

Parks Recreation Final Season Premiere Date

NBC’s Parks and Recreation will begin to say goodbye on Tuesday, Jan. 13 — two days after series lead Amy Poehler cohosts the Golden Globes with gal pal Tina Fey.

Parks and Rec‘s final season will air new episodes back-to-back every Tuesday at 8/7c, until its hourlong series finale arrives on Feb. 24, leading out of The Voice.

“Mike Schur and Amy Poehler, along with their incredible producers, cast and crew, have given us one of the great television comedies of all time, and we’re inordinately proud of Parks and Recreation,” NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement. “In an effort to give it the send-off it deserves, we wanted to ‘eventize’ the final season to maximize the impact of these episodes, which really do take the show to a new level. The highly anticipated one-hour finale will air behind The Voice in order to lead the largest audience possible into what promises to be a very special hour of television.”

What do you think of the weekly double-pumps for Parks and Rec‘s farewell run? And are you any closer to being ready to say goodbye to Leslie, Ben, Ron et al?

1. Brock says:

Feels like a “burn off” to me. Shame. Love the show and I’ll watch. But screwed again.

• Ray says:

I think the double episode airing has more to do with the fact that all of NBC’s comedies have failed miserably and now they need to plug as many holes in the schedule as they can.

• ScrubsGuy says:

I guess we know now what “we peacock comedy” means at NBC, given that they have totally destroyed their entire comedy lineup so totally and completely.

• Reality says:

True, but you can’t look a gift horse in the mouth. The only reason Parks made it this long is because of the critical acclaim and NBC’s ratings woes.

• Network says:

Oh if the internet is good at anything, it’s finding something to complain about even where there isn’t anything to complain about.

2. Christina says:

It’s seems like they are in a rush to the finale, which no fan is. It’s disappointing.

3. Nairdan says:

13 episodes in 7 weeks? That´s f…ing humiliating for such a great show.

• ... says:

Yeah, seven seasons is a total middle finger to a show that would’ve been cancelled had it aired on ABC, CBS, or FOX.

• Meag says:

Why would it have been cancelled? Everyone I know loves this show and agrees it’s one of the last decent shows left. Most comedies get stale so fast these days, and the ones that are good end way too early. It used to be normal for crap shows to air for many seasons now the good ones can’t make it.

• Elizabeth says:

Agreed 100%. NBC never supported this brilliant show and it makes me livid.

• DF12398 says:

i think giving it 7 seasons (and a final season announcement so it can wrap up on its own terms) is a pretty big sign of support

• Network says:

Prior to the voice NBC had nothing. It would have been stupid of them not to launch new shows off that which parks was not at the time. On any other network parks would have been cancelled. Keeping it on the air was as much support as NBC could give it.

4. Ron says:

Echoing what’s already been said, I’m not pleased about the rushed nature of the final season. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled we even got a seventh season. But, despite how much Greenblatt wants to try to spin it, this clearly shows a lack of regard, I feel, for the show. Cramming an entire season into essentially a month is not the kind of treatment this show deserves. It definitely feels like they just want to be rid of Parks & Rec and call it a wrap. Pleased about the seventh season, not pleased about the way it’s getting burned off.

• ... says:

Why should the show be anything of a priority for them? It’s over and it was never a ratings performer anyway, so they’re using it to plug a hole and get them to the next cycle of The Voice. The victim complex that Parks and Recreation fans have is ridiculous.

• Patrick says:

Agreed. I love the show now, but the vast majority of the first season was completely unwatchable. It was bad. Really, really bad. It did find its footing, and it is now a very good show. It isn’t great, but it’s really good.
        Just be thankful that a show that started so horribly was given time to find its footing. Plus, why complain. I am thrilled to be getting an hour of TV during a time block where I don’t typically have anything to watch. Hooray for me.

• Meag says:

Well, I found the first season to be one of my favourites actually and I know many other fans who like it as well. Anyone I know who gave this show a chance understood the charm, but people who poo-pooed it like you didn’t get into it. I think TV is just failing, so they need to fill all the slots with addictive junk TV, like everything else in life.

• Sean says:

I saw your name and couldn’t help but read your entire post with a “Swanson” voice.

5. Ella says:

What?! Why such a quick airing of the final episodes? There’s no time to savor the episodes or prepare for the end! At least it gets this much, I guesss. I don’t want to say goodbye yet!

6. Tricia says:

TUESDAY?! Why’d it have to be Tuesday?

7. Michelle says:

I don’t love that it’s being rushed because I wanted to savor the final episodes. Then again, I was sure they were going to hold the episodes until summer or burn them off on Friday night or ship them over to Netflix, so I think I’m kind of ok with the schedule. January 13 can’t come soon enough.

8. EDDIE says:

this actually isn’t that bad because->
    -we get Parks and rec back earlier than I would have thought (in January)
    -we get to see how parks performs in a non Thursday half-hour
    -back to back airings isn’t that big of a deal (scrubs did it for like 3 years)
    -The final episode is airing behind the voice which is NBC’s most watched show
    all in all I think NBC is treating parks and recreations final run of episodes pretty well.

9. webly3 says:

Wow. “In an effort to give it the send-off it deserves, we wanted to ‘eventize’ the final season to maximize the impact of these episodes, which really do take the show to a new level.” That was BS. Parks & Rec deserves to be on for 13 weeks like all other shows. If NBC can handle a horrible show like Bad Judge for 13 weeks, it should give Parks & Rec 13 weeks.

10. John Longo says:

This is a pure and simple burn off on a night the show has never aired on. That said, NBC gave this amazing series 7 seasons and closure. As a fan of this show, how can I ever ask for more? How is this any different from binge watching an entire series in a weekend?
    Parks fans, enjoy it. I will. There is no reason to be petty or snarky or crap on NBC – this was a low rated show that never lived up to the Office’s ratings but constantly out shined its predecessor on every level. Just sit back relax and enjoy the first 2 months of 2014 because March is going to suck.

It is surprising that they aren’t using Chris Pratt’s new status IT man to really help sell the final season.

• Reality says:

Great point about binge watching. It amazes me that people are so hostile over this scheduling decision because most of them likely watch whole seasons of shows on Netflix in one sitting.

11. GuessWhat says:

I would have rather had 13 weekly installments.
    But then again, I am smart and NBC is not.
    hahahhaa

• Network says:

Putting the finale with its highest rated show will give the show its first chance at something larger than its usual pittance of a rating. Not only is that smart, since the finale will record an uptick in viewers but will expose more people to a brilliant show that just never caught on.

12. Pia says:

I first discovered Parks and Rec when I binge-watched the first few seasons on Netflix. I’m sad to see it go, but maybe this “eventizing” will capture some of the magic of seeing the show for the first time.

13. JDH says:

How are they supposed to air all 13 episodes back to back when it’s an uneven number???

14. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show have a premiere date for final season! Hope they do well on Tuesdays going against NCIS and The Flash in the ratings.

15. Joey Padron says:

And it is weird they’ll be on Tuesdays. I’m used to the show being on Thursdays. Sad it will end quick.

16. Tran says:

Tuesdays should do just fine for the final season of Parks & Rec.

17. Mr. Hankey says:

They have the star of the #1 and #3 movie of 2014, who has another blockbuster arriving in theaters shortly after May Sweeps, and they decide keep his show on air for only 7 weeks instead of for 13. It doesn’t make too much sense to me, but I’m just glad it’s back for a final season.

18. analog says:

Sucks that it feels like they’re burning off the episodes. NBC is an idiot.

• Network says:

Networks don’t burn off a show during a sweeps period. Burn off means a network runs a show during a time period that no one would care about like summer or on Saturday nights. Tuesday’s during February sweeps is not one of those periods

19. kmw says:

Not everyone binge watches television shows. I am sorry but this is disrespectful to one the funniest shows NBC has had in a while. I know it has never been a ratings winner but is rushing the goodbye for the fans. It will probably do fine after THE VOICE but I do not think this the best way to go out. Good luck to all the cast and thanks for seven great seasons

20. Amie says:

Not ready for it to be over! No!

21. Ig says:

NBC has been more than fair to Parks Parenthood and Community
    CBS is canceling the Mentalist with 10 million viewers and at least they have a chance
    to end with dignity.

22. Ugh says:

NBC can make up as many words as they want…”eventize” my a**. We’re Park and Rec viewers, so you can’t really fool us. I guess NBC wants to make room for some more crappy TV instead of giving this good and smart show the send off it deserves. Leslie Knope would not approve of this sham!

23. Dan says:

I’m almost glad that they’re rushing through the episodes so that I can completely stop watching NBC.

24. dman6015 says:

Thank you, Netflix! That’s why they’re experimenting with P&R.

25. Geoff Gentry says:

NCIS and The Flash air at 8pm. So wrong to have P&R compete against them. So unhappy with this!