Despite The Mentalist's Coupling, Final Season 'Is Not Fifty Shades of Grey'

The Mentalist Final Season

As CBS’ The Mentalist uncorks its seventh and final, 13-episode season this Sunday at 9:30/8:30c, series lead Simon Baker has but one wish for his character.

“I want a nude sex scene,” the Aussie actor told TVLine during a press call to preview the procedural’s farewell run.

Playing along, leading lady Robin Tunney quickly jumped in to quip,”That’s really just for, you know, the wrap party, for the crew to watch. Because we can’t allow any nudity [on camera].”

Baker clarified that he was in fact joking, though his point was that after seven seasons, there’s very little left to give that’s new. “The truth is that as an actor you put so much skin in the f–king game that at the end, I am just happy to scrape my skeleton together and walk out of here in one piece.”

Tunney’s own wish, meanwhile, already has been granted, in that the show she has called home since 2008 is being afforded that rare opportunity to end things on its own terms, and thus with a proper coda. “I have gotten [my wish] — that we actually got a definitive last season and they can tie everything up,” she said. “It is really unusual to be putting it to bed in the proper way.”

Of course, what sets this season apart from the half-dozen before it is that reformed con man Patrick Jane and CBI-turned-FBI Agent Teresa Lisbon are entering it as a consummated romantic pairing, having professed their feelings for one another — sealed with a kiss — in the May finale.

Tunney recalls a Season 1 press conference in which she, Baker and series creator Bruno Heller avowed that Jane and Lisbon would never hook up, “and I think we were telling the truth,” she says. Regardless, here we are, though all involved parties make clear that the romantic wrinkle will not overtake the show’s final episodes, either with angst, arguing or overly ardent interludes.

“These two are never going to be Who’s Afraid of Virgina Wolf,” says Heller, while Tunney herself adds, “Season 7 is not Fifty Shades of Grey done by The Mentalist.” Rather, Heller sums up the pairing as “a very sort of Jane Austen type of romance… between two people you’ve known for years, and you can see they are made for each other not in a fiery, crazy way, but in a human, gentle, correct way.”

Baker says of the “Jisbon” romance, “We are not exploring the obvious side of having a relationship in the workplace but more the pitfalls and speed bumps that you come up against when you know someone so well and then decide to have a relationship with them.”

Especially when Jane has pulled Lisbon away from the attractive future she had mapped out with FBI Agent Marcus Pike (played by Pedro Pascal) to offer her… what, exactly? That question surfaces in the premiere, and shall be addressed throughout the final salvo.

“This season is very much about the reconfiguring of a relationship that has been based on a mission, on a shared desire,” says Heller. “Now that the mission is over, they have to find out, as much as they love each other, how can they live together, and what will they do with their lives?

1. JoyAnne says:

I’m just going to sit back. Enjoy a show that doesn’t thrust either heaps of dead bodies or sex in my face. Simon and Robin are great together and so are the rest of the team. I’m sure going to miss it when it ends. Thank goodness for DVDs or iTunes episodes. 👍👍

2. DL says:

I adore both the actors and the characters quite a bit, but I’ve been unable to recommit to watching the show after being so severely disappointed by the end of Red John. That said, I’m thrilled they’re getting a proper send-off. Good for them.

• Lizo says:

I absolutely loved the end of the Red John story. It was thrilling, kept me guessing, and was painfully intimate when it came down to the final kill.

3. Tran says:

I’m so excited to see how the final 13 episodes of Mentalist is going to fare. Hope Jane & Lisbon gives Castle & Beckett a run for their money.

4. James says:

Did you say “Jisbon” out loud? …obviously not, or you wouldn’t have typed it.

• Lauren says:

Or he’s older than 13.

• DarkDefender says:

Jisbon is the actual Jane/Lisbon shipper moniker. I have always thought it was the oddest choice, but it seemed to have stuck (no pun intended)

• kiwirevengefan says:

As a non-American who is older than 13 can you please explain what is wrong with the name Jisbon? I’ve tried saying is out loud but nothing comes to mind! But you have got me really curious now!

5. Lizo says:

Oh so excited!! Ever since the first episode, I’ve been totally on board with these two as friends or lovers, whichever way it felt best for them to tell the story. Them coming together last season felt really organic and I’m super excited for the mature way Heller sees the pair. Be a nice change from what we see on tv most of the time.

6. Kim R says:

I actually found the first part of the episode kind of awkward. I’ve never felt a lot of romantic chemistry between Jane and Lisbon. It was a bit “clunky”. Other than that, I really enjoy the interactions of the team and how it all comes together in the solving of the crime. I’m in until the end. :)

7. amadeline says:

If you’re a lucky Canadian, like me, the first episode has already aired and it was wonderful! I’ll probably watch it again on Sunday! The final season is going to be everything I hoped and a fitting end to this great series.

8. Rich Abey says:

Really pumped for this final season. The Mentalist has been one of the few shows that have maintained its original charm over the course of a long run (barring the outofsorts second half of Season 6). It has this unique appeal, mainly thanks to Simon Baker’s wonderful potrayal, which kept me coming back year after year & I will dearly miss it. So looking forward to The Mentalist bowing out with the same charm & appeal it captured our hearts to start with!

9. HAZEL says:

It may not be the final season, CBS have quoted “There may be a possibility of a season 8.

10. macchief says:

What future did Lisbon have mapped out with Pike? All there was was moving to DC and be married to him. There was nothing shown that said that that future was any better then what she could have with Jane. I mean Pike was divorced, and he never explain why that was. And as I know about the male race, just because he said that he loved her and wanted to get married doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t possibly cheat. Nothing about Pike, to me at least, pointed towards the nice guy type that they said he was.

11. TrickyGreyArea says:

I was never really interested in Jane and Lisbon as a romantic couple and kind of dreaded the day they went there…but Simon Baker was so good in last season’s finale that he sold it for me. I don’t love it, but I will probably still tune in for the final season.

12. debbiedowner says:

Can’t get into the Lisbon/Jane romance (I don’t see the attraction), but I will watch the show because I’m a fan. I just hope it’s not an every episode thing.

13. gerry says:

Love the new thought of Patrick and Lisbon together, They are perfect for each other, just took Jane losing her to realize it. I have been waiting for the new season for 3 months.

• Charlotte Green says:

In the seventh season, I don’t understand why Patrick and Theresa can’t get married and have what Pike offering. They are both single, Patrick has money, and they love each other.

14. Joanne says:

I am glad to see that the show is back. I thought it had been cancelled when it wasn’t in the CBS fall line-up. I am curious to see how the writers will portray Jane and Lisbon in a romantic relationship. I am glad there is a final season to cap off a show that I have enjoyed for years.

15. shay says:

I always wanted those two to hook up. I don’t mind that this is the last season, as long as the show ends on a high note. And they actually do end it instead of being like most canceled shows, and leave everyone hung out to dry.

16. LBROWN says:

HMMM IN THIS ARTICLE HELLER SAYS THE COUPLE WILL TAKE WHAT THEY HAVE HAD IN A WORK ENVINMENT OUTSIDE AND SEE HOW IT WORKS. JUST WONDERING, THE SAME THING HAPPENED IN THE GUARDIAN…WORKPLACE DREW THEM TOGETHER BUT OUTSIDE WAS HARD…OR MAYBE THIS IS BAKERS WAY OF MIXING THINGS UP IN HIS INDEVERS AND LEAVES HIMSELF A BACK DOOR SO TO SPEAK SO THAT HE CAN MOVE ON. AS A VIEWER I LOVE IT AS HE GIVES SO MUCH BUT HATE THAT HE CANNOT DO IT FOREVER. AHH, WELL WHILE WE HAVE THE SHOW.. HERE’S TO MR. BAKERS NEW ADVENTURE.

17. vicki says:

Hate to see this show end. Love that Jane and Lisbon got together. Wish a spin off with the two would start up.

18. Franny says:

I love this show. I don’t understand why this is final season. Could the lack of viewers be the reason? I know that many times in the last two seasons that our network has replaced this show with other interrupting shows or would have it on late because of ball games. I have this show on record and the time schedule would be later, so the show was not recorded many times. Please rethink taking this show off
    Franny C

19. Carolyn Thompson says:

I have enjoyed every episode of this adventure. Thank you CBSfor giving us this experience. You go people!!!

20. Julie Reeve says:

Why did the network decide to cancel the Mentalist?It is still such a great show! It is by far the best show on television! I am very sad that it is ending!

21. M. Lawson says:

Both my husband and I absolutely love this show. Can’t imagine a week without it! Love all the characters. When we missed a show, we watched on On Demand. It’s a rare show that we both watch faithfully . We’ve been know to take the laptop on my lunch hour just so we can pull up the show and watch it. There has to be a Season 8!