Ratings: State of Affairs Drops, Sleepy Ties Low, Dancing Hits High

State of Affairs Ratings

NBC’s State of Affairs drew 5.8 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating (per finals) on Monday night, dropping more than 25 percent from its premiere.

Opening the Peacock’s night, The Voice (9.6 mil/2.6) slipped 16 percent, to a series low for a performance show.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (14.9 mil/2.5) had its most watched outing of the season and tied the cycle’s demo high, coming its closest ever (one tenth) to a Voice telecast. Castle (9.6 mil/1.7) was down a tenth.

FOX | Gotham (6.1 mil/2.3) was steady with its fall finale but Sleepy Hollow (4.3 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth, tying its series low.

THE CW | The Originals (1.3 mil/0.6) ticked down a tenth, while Jane the Virgin (960K/0.4) was steady.

CBS | With football factored out… 2 Broke Girls (6.6 mil/1.6) dropped sharply, a Big Bang rerun (6.7 mil/1.5) matched The Millers‘ most recent numbers, Scorpion (9.3 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth and NCIS: LA (8.7 mil/1.5) slipped two tenths.

1. Moment says:

I think we all saw that State of Affairs drop coming. Also like I said last week, Castle would beat it lol. Anyways, ouch Sleepy Hollow stop dropping.

2. TV Fan says:

We had to turn off Sleepy Hollow last night because of the Ferguson press conference. We had missed so much that catching the ending would have been too confusing. We will watch it On Demand.

• Babygate says:

Same thing with me. Once it was interrupted I gave up and by the looks of it enough people reacted the same way and it impacted the ratings.

• Lindsay says:

I live close enough to Ferguson that Sleepy Hollow wasn’t even on at all (Luckily, there’ll be a repeat in the middle of the night on Saturday). I think that ABC was the only channel that showed anything at all. I don’t even know if I’ll be able to watch Person of Interest tonight :(

3. Tran says:

I’m so disappointed that State of Affairs dropped big time from last week’s premiere even though NBC had a breaking news interruption involving Obama’s situation about that infamous riot at Ferguson, Missouri as did CBS but only ABC didn’t have to do it because people were watching Castle for the entire hour. Another problem was the Bills-Jets game that was going to play on a Monday night because of a major snowstorm in Buffalo, NY. Let’s hope next Monday night won’t happen again and I don’t know how next week’s new episode of State of Affairs is going to hold up (ignore the Heigl haters).

• Lizo says:

I hope the Alfre-lovers outweigh the Heigl- haters.

• Tran says:

I really don’t care. Try not to get mad at me.

• Fran says:

Just curious, why do you reply to every comment that responds to you with this same answer? Even when it doesn’t even make sense?

• Tran says:

Why you whining and complaining about what I’ve said Fran? It’s my opinion not yours and I demand an apology from you so don’t hurt my feelings or do mean stuff towards me even if Jack Bauer was here (you ever watched 24?).

• Fran says:

Seriously, what on earth on you even talking about? Lol. Have a good one.

• RBA says:

Actually they were not watching Castle. Many parts of the country carried the last 15 to 20 minutes of DWTS in the first 30 minutes of Castle… If you look at the halves, Castle was 2.4 / 1.6 10.97 / 8.88. When adjustments do come in Castle will go down significantly.

• Moment says:

I seriously doubt Castle will get a significant adjustment down, you also shouldn’t look at the half hours to form such an argument. A show can get a 2.5/2.3 half hours and still stay at a 2.5 for example.

• Grey says:

Yeah, but “DWTS” also ran over a little on the west coast as well and we didn’t get our prime time pre-empted the way the rest of the country did. Don’t be surprised if “Castle” get adjusted down two tenths. I’m hoping not but last night was a mess and I don’t have very much faith in Nielsen’s system and accuracy on the best of nights. :-|

4. Remy says:

I missed over half of Sleepy Hollow due to the Ferguson press conference & Fox News updates. I’m sure many people just gave up. That’s why it’s numbers were so terribly low. It was a really good episode too with Ichabod & Abby finally back in their groove.

• angien84 says:

We only lost a minute or so of the show here-the breaking news about the outcome in Ferguson was super brief and we didn’t get any analysis afterward. Must’ve depended on where one lived or something.

5. John NYC says:

Penny and the HR guy bonding over their terror of Bernadette was hilarious.

6. Saynay says:

I’m increasingly preparing myself for Sleepy Hollow not making it to a 3rd season. The writers seem to have their heads in the sand about how bad this show has become. It’s even getting hard for me as a loyal weekly viewer to keep watching.

• Grey says:

I’m with you. Last night was the first time I gave up and didn’t really watch it. I caught maybe the last 15 minutes. It doesn’t *feel* like it did last season and I think the story has just gotten too convoluted – regardless of how outrageous the premise is to begin with – and bloated.

7. Jw says:

NCIS LA rating is 1.7 and it had 9.18 million

8. Ron says:

Because of the Ferguson news, I had to give up on Sleepy Hollow last night. I’ll watch it today. That said, I’m still (sadly) becoming more and more skeptical about a SH season 3 renewal. I’m not sure increasing the ep count to 18 was the right move.

• Lizo says:

I agree. Upping the episode count was ill advised. It’ll get renewed though. It’s pretty much Fox’s only show that has any buzz for it. But who knows, Fox is painfully stupid so….

• Moment says:

I think the main issue was humanising the headless horseman. Although it kinda had to be done, the moment it was, he went from being a threatening entity with immense power, to a troubled entity with human problems.

• Ron says:

Good point. Last season I didn’t view him as human, but this season I do–even when he is shown without a head. And I think that is kinda taking away from some of the experience.

• Moment says:

Yep, I agree. Though It does explain why he came after Ichabod quite relentlessly when they clashed in Season 1. My fav part from last season was when the horseman was captured, there was a real sense of accomplishment there, like they’ve just done the impossible.

• angien84 says:

See, that didn’t bother me. If anything it made him creepier and less sympathetic to me. Here’s a man who could’ve taken a good path but actively chose to turn evil, and he’s so powerful and yet making it personal at the same time. It makes one wonder if his once friendly demeanor was all an act, and if it wasn’t, seeing a good person turn evil so quickly could be enough to make anyone else wonder how much it’d take for them to turn evil, too (something I could see Crane and Abbie wondering about as time goes on). I find that whole concept rather unsettling and fascinating, personally.

• Grey says:

Excellent point! I think you may have hit the nail on the head. They should have kept him a mystery a little longer or had something equally menacing waiting in the wings.

I’m starting to get the bad feeling that this show is following down the same path of “Prison Break” (also a FOX show) in which the creators and producers planned out the origins and or first season really well but stupidly thought they could just make stuff up from there. No matter what your chances of success you have to have a five-year plan complete with trap doors (i.e. contingency plans for unforeseen cast changes etc.) for any show these days – drama, comedy, reality, whatever. Otherwise you run the very real risk of painting yourself into a corner.

9. Babybop says:

Even though every outlet seems confident that Sleepy Hollow will get renewed, I’m still nervous.

10. Ellinas1978 says:

They should just repeat all the shows they had to preempt because of the news. There is a reason we DVR rather than forced to watch commercials with OnDemand.

11. Jake says:

There was no problem for me watching Castle last night. It started at about 10:15, so I assume Dancing was interrupted for news coverage and ran over, but ABC did air the entire show with a late start. That’s all I watched last night (on broadcast, anyway; Major Crimes was on TNT, but of course that’s not in the broadcast ratings post.)

12. Grey says:

Last night was a hot mess in terms of ratings and pretty much a wash. It was like a perfect storm; MNF pre-emptions, news cut-ins and pre-emptions, a Presidential cut-in, delayed viewing with some shows airing out of their normal time slots or only partially airing (I think the east coast only got 15 minutes of “Sleepy Hollow”), and reality show over-runs (“DWTS”). About the only thing that didn’t happen last night was live coverage of aliens from outer space landing in Time Square! Even after the dust settles I really don’t see how any network or advertiser can make sense out of the final numbers once they come in. We need a “do over.”

• Kim says:

I live in NY and only about 2 minutes of Sleepy Hallow was interrupted due to Furguson, it looks like FOX tried to extend the episode in 10pm; since I watched the episode on my DVR the end was cutoff.

• Grey says:

Well I read a couple of posts from people on the east coast who said “Sleepy” got about 15 minutes in and the President cut in to do his speach. That took about 15 minutes or so *but* then either the national news or thier local news had to add their two cents onto what the president said and there went the rest of “Sleepy’s” broadcast. :-| I think different situations happened in different markets not just state by state. Like I said, it was a mess.

13. Para says:

bye bye Katharine Heigl!!

14. jorge de zamacona says:

I would have thought the show would have dropped that much in the first halve hour, totally inane, therefore boring.

15. Doll says:

State of Affairs looks too much like Scandal. I really don’t want to see Katherine POPE.

16. Range Rover says:

Katherine Heigl is taking a bad wrap from the public based on ancient news…old history and people just keep jumping on her with both feet. If she lived in Salem back in the day, the unfair witch hunters would have done her in. She is not Leona Helmsley.

17. TD says:

TV Guide description of “State of Affairs”: Depressed bureaucrat with a great wardrobe goes to meetings and commiserates with the President.