BBC America Slates Luther Season 4

luther-bbc-america-2015

Set aside your anxieties about who’ll play the title character in Fox’s proposed U.S. remake of Luther.

For the moment, it’s time to celebrate the fact that BBC America will be bringing back the original, British flavor — played by Idris Elba — for a fourth season, sometime in 2015.

The network announced Wednesday that creator Neil Cross is planning a two-part miniseries continuation of the Emmy-nominated, London-set crime drama — with Elba back in the title role of the morally ambiguous detective.

“Ever since we said goodbye to John Luther on Southwark Bridge, there’s hardly been a minute when I didn’t wonder what happened next,” Cross said in a release. “So I decided to find out. We’re putting the band back together; Luther is coming back where he belongs. Back to the BBC. Back to London. And back to work.”

Fresh Luther episodes will begin shooting in March 2015, with a premiere date later in the year.

On Tuesday, Fox gave a pilot commitment to an American adaptation of the series, with Cross set to write, as well as executive-produce along with Elba, who was not immediately attached to reprise his role stateside.

At this year’s Emmys, the actor told TVLine’s Michael Ausiello that his series — which aired its third season finale in 2013 — was not finished, that it was “one of those shows that can keep going and going.”

1. torimelching says:

Awesome. Can’t wait. More Idris is always a great thing.

2. Command says:

I’M SO HAPPY

3. Moment says:

I get the feeling this was probably in the works for a little while now. I read earlier today that the actor thought another season or a movie would happen.

4. T says:

Great news ! I’m concerned about Ruth Wilson’s return now though.

5. tony says:

Why would the BBC slate its own show? And the article doesn’t back up the headline.

6. Morgan says:

Please say that Ruth Wilson will be tagging along.

7. supertech14 says:

So excited-can’t wait!!

8. ann says:

This is the perfect TV day. Both Luther and Longmire coming back!!!

9. Dr. M says:

Thunder, stolen. Sorry Fox.

10. Marc says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Ned says:

One of my favorite shows ever. Can’t wait to see what Luther does next!

12. Alicia says:

Still bummed about Justin’s death.

• lori grundman says:

Me, too. I understand they did it for the storyline, but I think it was a critical error. The chemistry between him and John was very strong. They jacked up a really good partnership.

13. Joyce says:

What a great show. The acting and writing is excellent. So glad it will continue.

14. Luis says:

On the one hand, I want to turn back flips, I love “Luther” so damn much. On the other hand, I thought the image of Luther driving off with Alice Morgan was the perfect image to close the book on the series. I’m afraid bringing Luther and Alice back would be gilding the lily. I guess I will have to trust the writers.

15. Sarah says:

Yay!!!! Now we may finally be able to see Luther and Alice kiss and actually have some passionate physical interactions. I love seeing them together, but I never understood why the show gave them zero love scenes together?

16. Linda Zigler says:

Can’t wait for the 4 th season uk cop shows rule!! Lol USA shows not so much. :) hurry up BBC America

17. Linda Zigler says:

Happy happy joy for the 4th season :)

18. John Diggs says:

I am a huge fan of the show and of Idiris Alba! I Can’t tell you how excited I am to hear that DCI Luther is making a comeback.

19. I just finished bingewatching Luther. Awesome series. I cannot wait til Season 4.

20. Jemma Bennett says:

So excited for season 4!

21. Elizabeth says:

cant wait! i wonder if Alice is coming back too.

22. James ware says:

sadly Ruth Wilson is not returning to the show but the creator and executive producer promises this will be the scariest season Yet with exciting new stories.

23. Meddie says:

I just started watching on Netflix from season 1 last week…I was addicted by the time ep 1 ended. I literally just finished the Ripley death scene 10 mins ago and still wiping tears! I dont know how I never watched this show before but Im excited for season 4!!

24. lori grundman says:

I love Luther. It’s smart and real and you can relate to his struggle to stay within the confines of the law. The judicial system is a monster. It has to be, to work at that level and sometimes the monster breaks down. .that must be so frustrating for a copper.
    3 thumbs if I had them.
    And, Idris should be the next James Bond! Sexiest one we’ll have had in some time!

25. Steven says:

Easily one of the best kept secrets of great television. I have gotten to the point that I can’t wat h the best shows on a week by week basis. Luther was one that I needed to binge watch because I wouldn’t be able to wait a week to find out what happened next. Between Sense8, True Detective, Penny Dreadful and Luther, my faith in good television returned from a long hiatus.

26. Susan Royston says:

I am beyond excited to know Luther is coming back. Awesome shoe

27. I’m beyond excited Luther’s coming back
    My husband & I love the show. But please give him some happiness, ok

28. linda says:

I began my quick addiction to Luther last year n have been waiting patiently for more episodes. However it is now August 2015 n yet no premier date has been announced. Where is Luther? Luther Luther Luther Luther . Lol

29. It’s now November, where’s Luther ?

30. j hubbard says:

please bring Ruth Wilson back. her chemistry — as a brilliant sociopath analyzing love and approaching it sideways – combined with Idris Elba’s excruciating self knowledge and ethics is unsurpassed on television.