Cupid Takes Aim on Arrow: Did She Kill Sara? Will Felicity Be a Target?

Arrow Cupid Sara Felicity

Albeit three months early for Valentine’s Day, Cupid makes her bow tonight on Arrow (The CW, 8/7c), setting her sights on Starling City’s enigmatic vigilante and anyone who ostensibly could come between them.

Amy Gumenick — whose previous TV credits include AMC’s TURN and the role of Supernatural‘s Young Mary Winchester — shared with TVLine a look at Cupid’s mission and whether the Arrow’s super-ardent admirer might figure in the ongoing “Who killed Sara?” mystery.

TVLINE | Now, I spotted you in the background of at least one other scene last week, before Cupid revealed herself the end. But was there a second Easter egg?
There were two. We see her outside of the gym as Laurel’s exiting, and we see her again walking past Diggle’s van.

TVLINE | I am admittedly rather in the dark about this DC Comics character. What’s Cupid’s deal?
Well, Cupid is a supervillain, as described by the DC comic book world. She exudes extreme strength as a martial artist and as a hand-to-hand fighter, and she also has an extreme emotional capacity. She’s definitely a bit mentally unstable and will meet no ends to get what she wants. Fundamentally, she is driven by love and will fight anyone and face anything for her love.

TVLINE | OK, so she just wants to be loved.
Exactly. [Laughs] See, she’s not that bad!

Draw Back Your Bow

TVLINE | Who was Carrie Cutter before she started stalking Arrow and killing “for” him?
Carrie worked as a cop for many years. She also worked in the military. She was asked — or forced, if you will — to leave law enforcement because of her unstable mental state.

TVLINE | Is that why we see her being “familiar” with Quentin Lance in the promo?
[Coyly] I believe so…. She has definitely crossed paths with these guys before, and though her badge was taken away, in her mind she is still doing [the job]. In a way, in becoming Cupid she found a way to get to and solve the crimes before they happen, rather than arriving after the fact.

TVLINE | How long as Carrie been carrying this torch for the Arrow?
This isn’t a sudden “love at first sight” situation. Perhaps it feels that way, but once she makes her mind up that he’s “the one,” she is determined to get him. How far back that goes is open for interpretation.

TVLINE | Even though Draw Back Your Bowher obsession is the Arrow, and not Oliver Queen, is Felicity perhaps seen as a threat? Or Laurel…?
I think that they are potential threats, but I don’t think Cupid is too worried about them.

TVLINE | In her quest, does Cupid make use of or “have her way with” other men?
Oh, absolutely. She has been in love, as touched upon in the comic books. But there is something different and bigger and more powerful about the love that she feels for Arrow. And yet she is a woman who knows how to get what she wants, so there’s definitely some manipulation, definitely some perhaps “inappropriate” use of other men…. She will do whatever it takes.

TVLINE | Because of her thing for Arrow, and because she obviously has some archery skills, are we going to wonder if it was she who killed Sara?
That question definitely is raised…. In the comic books, Black Canary is a big rival of Cupid’s; she sort of is the biggest obstacle in the way of her getting Arrow. So if I were investigating Sara’s death, I would definitely question her.

TVLINE | Who do you get to interact with most, of the main characters?
Most of my interactions are with Stephen [Amell]. But Arsenal (played by Colton Haynes) gets in my way, so I have to take care of him. And there are a few of Arrow’s enemies that I present to him as “gifts.”

TVLINE | How many episodes can we expect to have you around for?
Good question. We are discussing and plotting for future adventures, so there will hopefully be more. How many, I don’t have a number…. But there is definitely unfinished business that Cupid will return to take care of.

TVLINE | [Showrunner] Marc Guggenheim told me that this episode ends in a way that “will suggest exactly how and when and under what circumstances we’ll see Cupid again.”
Ooh, I like that! [Laughs] Let’s stick with that story.

1. GildedRose says:

I’m hoping Cupid does take aim at Felicity. As the woman Oliver loves, she’d obviously be “a threat.” Plus I’m seriously missing Oliver and Felicity time this season. A little danger to perk things up would be just what the doctor ordered.

• Claire says:

That would be nice wouldn’t it? I miss them too as well as original Team Arrow.

I am liking the sounds of Amy though! Looking forward to seeing her in action tonight. And it’s so nice to read yet another actresses interview who understands her character! And she’s just a guest star! I love Emily’s and Willah’s interviews for this reason.

• well says:

So you want Felicicty to be a damsel in distress?

• Kate says:

I love Olicity and I’m missing them as much as you but no. Please don’t put Felicity in danger. That happened to Laurel all the time and it got so boring. Felicity has already been in danger this season. Once is enough.

2. Riana says:

It’s already been hinted that Ra’s had Sara killed and we know Cupid didn’t do it because it would have to be someone that Sara knew.

3. If Hal Jordan is ever introduced on this show, it would be interesting to see what might happen if Cupid got her hands on a Zamaron Star Sapphire.

4. Foshi says:

So excited to see original team Arrow moments tonight. They have been missed on my screen. This villain also feels fun and refreshing after last weeks boring villain that hardly served to further any interesting story lines other than Oliver and Roy. Can’t wait for tonight as we will be having a live viewing party again.

• Enri says:

I’ve been missing original team arrow BIG time. Here’s hoping their scenes are for more than 1 minute.

• K says:

Me too. The show sucks without focus on original Team Arrow. Roy’s not so bad but he doesn’t add much. I’m not getting the same power that I did from Diggle, Felicity and Oliver when they worked together. They were always on fire. It was thrilling to watch at times.

• A says:

Oliver/Diggle/Felicity are why I watch, I hope we get a lot of focus on them tonight (and in the future) too.

• kath says:

Me too. Team Arrow (Oliver/Diggle/Felicity) are what make the show for me, and they’ve been missing far too much this season.

5. K says:

This actually sounds like fun! I’ve been really disappointed in this season so far so i’m nearly out of patience with Arrow but i’ll definitely check out this episode tonight.

6. Kate says:

It’s pretty obvious she didn’t kill Sara but that storyline is already so boring that I don’t even care. Looking forward to Cupid. I think AG looks fantastic. She was awesome in Supernatural.

7. ninamags says:

Mary Winchester, yay!
    She looks so different with red hair.
    Looking forward to this episode.

8. Lucy says:

I miss Team Arrow so much. Even a few seconds of them together in a flashback will help. I really hope we get to see them again. I have to admit that the season is hard for me. I’m pretty depressed about the lack of Team Arrow. And I’m even more depressed that Stephen Amell won’t be in the winter episodes. Given that he’s a big reason I watch the show, I guess I’ll be skipping until the spring.

• Maria says:

Why Stephen wont be in the winter episodes??

• Sparky says:

Couple of theories floating about that he goes up against Rhas and is captured or presumed dead. Then the others try to regroup and take up the mantle for him. He is missing for episodes 10-12 maybe back at the end of 12

9. FtheFrey says:

She didn’t kill Sara. My guess is that Thea did

• Briggs says:

Just because she’s short doesn’t mean she did it. And the logistics don’t support a (short) trip before big brother comes calling. Besides which, I’m still waiting for a motive. And nothing that’s already been said, because I don’t buy anything to do with Malcolm or the League.

• Jon says:

There’s another bellow average height female that Sara knew quite well…….Sin

• Briggs says:

That I buy a bit better, but I think that we’ll need a flashback to tell us when she learned to shoot a bow and arrow. :)

10. Brigid says:

I don’t understand this original team arrow talk. So you don’t like Roy added to the team because he is the only one added. I’m so glad none of you write for this show because it would honestly suck with the same 3 people saving the day on a weekly basis with no additional players to add more depth. Keep doing what your doing EP’s, this season is great!!!

11. kath says:

Amy Gumenick sounds fun and like she has a good grasp of her character.

I’m really put off by the clip of Ray and Felicity but maybe Cupid will save the episode for me.

12. nikki says:

“Familiar”? Does it mean poor Quentin finally gets some?

13. Briggs says:

Cupid sounds delicious. :) And I love her hair. I can’t wait to see how the show tackles her.

14. Maria says:

But why Cupid killed Sarah on wht basis? We havnet heard form her until tonites episode? Sarah never mention there was a lunatic out there pursuing her. We just know about Nyssa, but Cupid is a total stranger to us, unless Sarah knew her from her time at the League of Assasins but that storyline has never been shown up on screen in these 3 seasons. Mayeb Sarah let her down or dissapointed her in some way and for revenge Cupid killed her.

15. Nicolle says:

It seems that due to the addition of more characters it is the reaosn why the main characters of team arrow this season are like working independently or on own their own but not really together as a team. Each one has like their own story so the producers focus on that, just a few times this season so far we had been seeing team arrow working together.

16. Ninoska says:

Does anyone knows if the Suicide Squad will make an appeareance this season or not?