American Idol Return, Empire Series Debut Date Set at Fox

American Idol Season 14 Premiere Date

The search for the next American Idol starts… (insert dramatic Ryan Secrest pause here) on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2015.

Fox will kick off the reality singing competition’s Season 14 premiere that night with a one-hour episode at 8/7c, then wrap it up with a two-hour installment on Thursday, Jan. 8 at 8 pm.

During the opening eps, Idol‘s three returning judges — Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. — will hit auditions in Kansas City, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, New York and San Francisco. [The New York episodes will feature guest judge Adam Lambert, subbing for an absent Urban.]

Keeping with a theme, the network also will premiere its new music-industry drama Empire on Jan. 7 at 9/8c. The series, starring Terrence Howard (Law & Order: L.A.) and Taraji P. Henson (Person of Interest), follows a family vying for control of a hip-hop empire and features a soundtrack by Timbaland.

Psyched for Idol‘s return? Can’t wait to see and hear Empire? Tell us about it in the comments!

1. Steven says:

Couldn’t care less about Idol, but I’ll give Empire a try for Taraji P. Henson. I still miss her on Person of interest.

2. Moment says:

I think Empire will do well. That’s all I have to say really.

3. Sam says:

I hope Empire does well. It has a solid cast and great potential. Could be a great show for a network in need of some quality programming – Bones can only last for so long.

4. MLM says:

I watch the show every season, and I can’t wait. I was wondering how they’re going to do the show in one night per week without the 2nd night for voting results? I don’t like that idea, I like having a results show & guest performers, especially returning Idol alums performing their own songs.

• Apres Ski says:

You are all by yourself on that American Idol thingy! LOL!!!

• Jonathon says:

They are definitely not alone on American Idol. Watched it since season one and is only music reality show I’ll ever watch. I agree it should not go too many more seasons but definitely looking forward to another great year of it

• Lyn says:

I agree, but there’s 3 things I’d fix if I could.
          1. Stop showing JLO so much during the performances. Let the singer have their moment.
          2. Fix the sound system or rein in the band so they don’t overwhelm the vocals.
          3. Stop HCJ from being such a condescending prat.

• Timmah says:

Most likely you’ll have to wait until the next week for results.

5. Maria says:

I think American Idol is a show long over due. At the beginning in season 1 or 2 or even 3 and 4 it was ok., but season 14, really? Im already tired of that show. If it is cancelled many people wont miss it. I dont think it is that important now as it was before. It should be cancelled already. It was good when there was Paula Abdul, Simon and the other 2 judges, after that it started to decrease.

• Moment says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the show was canceled this season. The numbers have declined sharply. Not enough to cancel outright like The X Factor, but enough to show clear concern. If the trend continues it’s in trouble.

• Timmah says:

Idol jumped the shark a couple of seasons ago when a reject from a previous season won. It’s too easy these days for somebody with real star potential to get discovered by other means than hoping to make it through a series of humiliating cattle calls only to be upstaged by a trio of vain judges interested solely in promoting their own careers. So shows like these are left with the dregs and wannabes. I’ll probably still watch for the laughs though.

• Amy says:

“…only to be upstaged by a trio of vain judges interested solely in promoting their own careers” <<<<<<<<<<THAT!…is what has finally made me sick and tired of a show I used to love and have watched, faithfully for 9 of its 13 seasons. I think I'm finally sick of it enough not to tune in, except if I happen to channel surf some nights out of boredom! Idol is now a marketing tool for all the "brand$" concerned, least of which is the "potential star" they are to create…which leaves us suffering through all the butt-kissing close-ups of JLo all year, Harry's scene-stealing antics…even Keith, who I love, is getting to be a bit overkill. It's more about them now; the days of Kelly & Carrie type discoveries seems to no longer be their true focus of the show. Idol peaked Season 7, still my favorite…though I enjoyed Seasons 8 & 10 too, because of Kris Allen & Phil Phillips, respectively. It's been downhill every since and I would also not be surprised if this year is the last…nor would I care anymore.

6. alistaircrane says:

What about The Following and Wayward Pines?

7. Joey says:

Can’t do wrong with King Lear in a hip-hop setting.

8. KC says:

I’ll bet this is the final season for American Idol unless the numbers skyrocket.
    As for Empire – I predict a total tank. Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone is interested in this type of show. I know I’m not and most of the people I’ve talked to about it either 1) never even heard of it or 2) knew about it, but are not interested at all.

9. Tran says:

When will American Idol ever going to end? Guess no one knows.

10. Brandy says:

Disagree with all you haters. I CAN. NOT. WAIT. for Idol!

11. funbunn40 says:

My main interest wiil be Adam Lambert in NY judging for Keith Urban. Adam has appeared in some capacity every season since he was a contestant and has always been appreciative and loyal to those that have helped him along the way. It’s where Queen discovered him and now he’s had a sold out successful world tour fronting Queen. He was the most veratile, exciting contestant ever on that show and no one has come close since. funbunn40

12. Ally Oop says:

I haven’t watched Idol for a few years but I will check out Empire as I enjoy primetime soaps.

13. kitty says:

I will watch Idol only for the episodes Adam Lambert is on. Not interested otherwise. The show is pretty much done.

14. Terry says:

I rarely watch reality tv of any kind, it’s all pretty horrendous and I tried watching Idol/Xfactor etc but gave up on all of them after a couple of seasons. Same old rubbish all the time and real talent rarely gets anywhere coz it’s a popularity contest and might as well be big brother with music. (tho kelly C is ok) But I’m looking forward to seeing adam lambert doing his judgy thing I must admit. :)

15. Jeremy says:

Wow, people here are talking as if they have some personal grudge against idol. Why all the trash talk? You don’t like it, don’t watch it. I didn’t watch the last season and probably won’t watch this one, but I don’t mind it still being on air.

16. B says:

They need to vote that show off the air already.. I think it could use a 5-10 year break.. If it came back in time I think it could excite a lot more people and revitalize the series.. But if they keep shoving it down people’s throat that possibility is almost impossible. Right now people at sick of it but I don’t think they hate it, but if you keep going people are going to hate it and it’s going to be tough to bring it back. They need to preserve the legacy of the show and that isn’t going to happen if they beat it into obscurity.

17. Jack Rooney says:

American idol 2015 season is best ever. This is mostly due to the judges who are well spoken, entertaining and fun to listen to.

18. Darcel Stock says:

I love this show i cant hardly wait every week for this show to come on i really look forward to this show i dont want it to end