Post Mortems

Happyland Post Mortem: EP Explains Lucy's Season Finale Betrayal

Happyland Season Finale

Happyland didn’t quite live up to its name during Tuesday’s finale, as a freak storm ripped through the theme park, exposing the season’s most twisted secret yet — and leaving two key employees appropriately speechless.

RELATED Victoria Justice Thriller Eye Candy Gets January 2015 Premiere Date on MTV

Below, Happyland creator Ben Epstein gives TVLine the inside scoop on Ian and Lucy’s reunion, how Will and Harper can hope to recover from the betrayal, and what’s next for the first family of Happyland — should the MTV drama be renewed for a second season.

Ready? Let’s do this…

TVLINE | Not gonna lie, I wish I’d gotten to see Will and Harper confront Ian and Lucy. Was this always the ending you planned for?
To be honest, we went back and forth about whether to include Will and Harper coming in at all. We originally thought it might be better to end with the anticipation of them coming up the stairs, letting Lucy and Ian have a straight-up romantic moment, as opposed to an “Oh, s—t! What’s going to happen next?” moment. We ultimately decided to end it this way because it felt more exciting, which ties into the theme of the show: You can’t have happiness without consequences, and there’s always something undermining the fairytale nature of the place they’re living in.

TVLINE | Will and Harper acknowledging that they both know Ian and Lucy’s secret added a whole extra layer of weirdness.
Exactly. That was a fun moment because we were very careful about who found out the big secret along the way. Finally, at the end of the season, basically everyone knows, and it’s going to pretty irrelevant to most of the characters very soon. So we figured we might as well make one last joke about it.

Happyland Series PremiereTVLINE | Ian and Lucy still had chemistry, even when they thought they were related. Was that a hard line for you guys to walk?
Yeah, there always had to be a balance. We didn’t want to imply there wasn’t a connection between them, but we also didn’t want to overly sexualize their connection; this isn’t a show where either of them are jonesing to hook up with their sibling. What we were trying to chart over the course of the season was the different ways you can care about someone you have a connection with. Eventually, they started to connect as friends — and almost as siblings — before this bomb about Ian’s real paternity went off.

TVLINE | This was a pretty intense betrayal. Can this foursome ever move past it?
Everyone will have to recover in their own way. It’ll give us an opportunity to see sides of these characters we’ve never seen before. Will has been frustrated with Lucy in the past, but she’s never betrayed him like this. It’ll be interesting to see how Lucy reacts to having hurt him in front of everybody else.

TVLINE | One thing I did like in the finale was seeing James so willing to accept Lucy as his daughter.
We had a “no villains” policy in the writers room, which sounds strange for a soap, because you do want to have people who are scheming and conniving. Theodore’s the closest thing we have to that, but he’s really just trying to protect his family, so I don’t see him as a bad guy. James wanting to be a part of Lucy’s life sets up a very different status quo for Lucy heading into Season 2.

Happyland Season 1

TVLINE | And what about James and Elena? Can you ever envision a future in which they’re together publicly?
That’s a great question, one that would be wonderful to explore in Season 2. That’s the question this finale asks when Elena says, “What happens now?” James’ wife is back, we know she’s also been screwing around as well, and now he has a daughter. Also, the truth about Ian not being a Chandler is coming out at a horrible time for this guy who’s trying to re-establish himself as the head of this company.

TVLINE | And just to be clear: Ian was the last Chandler to know about this?
Yes. Of the immediate Chandlers, he’s the only one who didn’t know. Theodore put the pieces together and has known for a while. He’s a smart guy; no one ever told him that Lucy is James’ daughter, but Theodore figured it out by the way they were acting. So yes, Ian was absolutely the last to know, which is why he was so despondent in that scene with Lucy when he said he was planning to leave Happyland.

Your thoughts on Happyland‘s season finale? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your reactions and hopes for the future.

1. Billie says:

When will the new season start? Can’t wait to see the confrontation after they’re caught.

2. Jennipher says:

I will like to have a other season to see how everything plays out .these are my questions :is Ian and Lucy going to be a couple in , how is Will and Harper going to react , and Will James and Elena suddenly be a family. Can’t for season 2 😭😶📺

3. Christian says:

Have I been the only one to notice this show’s abysmal ratings? No way it’s getting a 2nd season.

4. Jared says:

Based on the ratings for Happyland I cant really see how MTV could justify another season. For whatever reason I wish the show was developed as an hour long comedy/drama instead of a half hour.

• johnhelvete says:

The half hour format works for the show IMO. It is a travesty that the running time of the finale was less than 19 minutes instead of 21 minutes plus though. I would guess 95% chance the show is cancelled.

5. georgia says:

I love this show and i hope it’s renewed!!

6. Ray says:

This show is awful. I don’t understand why MTV ever ordered it to series.

• lilstrick7 says:

I’d rather watch HAPPYLAND then another reality show about kids getting pregnant!

• Jonathan says:

At least in my opinion, 1 of the reasons why “RJ Berger” didn’t work out was because the humor ran dry and the whole concept became unrealistic, I think the show started out okay, but it got too complicated,

• tsevca says:

Too complicated? It would be good workplace comedy, those parts were fun, but the only guy the main character had chemistry with was, for the most of the season, her brother. That wasn´t drama, that was grose. It was clear he must somehow not be her brother, all the other guys had absolutely no chemistry with her, otherwise it would be just too weird.

7. Deanna colõn says:

I can’t wait for season 2!!! I love this show and I can’t wait to see more of Ian and Lucy.

8. Christi says:

Wow, that finale was crazy. I know this was kind of your goal in writing this, but I’m kind of pissed that there isn’t a show next week. If this show isn’t renewed, I will cry.

9. lilstrick7 says:

Please renew HAPPYLAND for a 2nd season. I’m so tired of TEEN MOM and most of the other 400 “Reality” shows. I love HAPPYLAND. I rank it and love that it’s along side of AWKARD & FAKING IT!

10. Haley says:

I really like this show, and after that crazy ending, I REALLY hope it gets renewed. The line up of Awkward, Faking It, and Happyland was genius comedy after comedy. I really hope it makes a season 2 so they can prove even more this show deserves to be on MTV

11. celeste says:

I absolutely love this show! And the ending was crazy I must say I really didn’t see that coming, I really hope they get renewed for a 2nd season if not I will cry!! So many unanswered questions!!

12. 123girl says:

When will season 2 start? I really can’t wait, I love this show

13. Michelle says:

I hope they play a new season it was awesome

14. Brittany says:

How can we help get happy land renewed? I love this show and want it to continue. I would love to help!

15. Lexi says:

I just love this show so much! I like how it plays a little off of Disney. I’ll be working in Disney for a College internship and this just makes me even more excited. Please let there be a season 2!!

16. Emily says:

This show is amazing! It’s possible for the ratings to go up if it’s renewed for a second season. You can’t give up so easily MTV!

17. Paris says:

I love this show. I hope they renew it because it is way better than Awkward and Faking It. There are so many questions I have and I want to know if Lucy ends up with Ian or Will. Also I don’t care for Harper or Theodore.

18. Lakelyn says:

THEY GAVE ME BUTTERFLIES I LOVE THEM TOGETHER. wow. Im kinda insane.

19. Fatima says:

When will season 2 be released?and what will happen in the first episode.BTW if you are are reading this there are lots of fans on the TV series “Happyland” so if you will put the tv show back on for us to enjoy. Also u finishe the last episode on a good part and wwe would like to know what Will and Haper would say of Ian and Lucy making out.As I say this myself I love this show and I love th characters in the show. So if you may continue the show for the fan as I am repeating it like 3 times.

20. raven thomas says:

I think it should have been more added to the episode, but it did leave me in suspense and hope season 2 answer my questions!!!!

21. hannah says:

I NEED A SEASON 2 PLEASE!!! Awkward, Faking It, Happyland. Genius.

22. Christina says:

I hate that I never contributed to ratings (watched it on demand) but this show is so addictive! Hope it’s renewed !!!! Love that the main character is hispanic :) it’s a refreshing change and makes it relate-able (for me, at least!)

23. brandi says:

This ended perfectly and needs to continue!! Can NOT wait for the next season. I would be devastated if this tv show doesn’t continue! Please continue. Waiting for more!!!! #Loveit! #favoriteshow!

24. Alondra says:

THIS SHOW IS SOOOOO GOOD . PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER SEASON !👌

25. Brenda says:

Please bring back season 2 of Happy Land i love it .and id rather watch this then teen mom .i was bummed out when i watched the finale cause i didnt want it to end.im deffinitly gonna buy seasen 1 on dvd and hope theres more seasons to come so i can buy them to.:)

26. Brenda says:

Pleeeeease bring back Happy Land for season 2 i love it, id rather watch Happy Land then teen mom.I was bummed out when i watched the finale cause i wanted to see more.

27. kelsylane123 says:

When will we find out if it’s renewed? I loved the Tuesday lineup -but I wish it would move to Thursday!!

28. sami says:

Did the show get renewed!!!

29. Ashley E. says:

I gave it a C the Episode ended so weird Plus I felt like Haper and will were standing there watching in shock for a little too long it became awkward to watch but the episode was very interesting and really good I do feel there should be a season two!!!!

30. Lylo says:

Happyland is a great refreshing show. I’m hoping to see more of ian, lucy and the whole gang and how they’ll all turn out. It’s very depressing when a tv show just quits after 1-2 seasons. Hopefull for more seasons :)

31. Nat says:

Hoping for a second season. I love shane harper. A second season that would answer all the questions would be decent. Oh and an amp-up in romance dept. wouldn’t also be bad :))

32. laura says:

WOULD LOVE A SEASON 2

33. Camille says:

More good feedbacks are good right? Enough to make a season 2? Boo-hoo with the rating. Lot of people here still loved it. SEASON 2 will be great!!!!

34. meena mangroo says:

This show is awesome. I love it so much really really hope there is a season 2

35. Larissa says:

SEASON 2 PLEASE. I love this show so much and there are too many loose ends! I will be very sad if this show doesn’t get renewed. SEASON 2 SEASON 2 SEASON 2

36. Chloe says:

i really hope there will be a second season I know a lot of people might have thought this show sucks but its so awesome to me, this is the type of show that id never miss an episode of, they have to make a second season!!!

37. erica says:

I hope they make a second season I love this show. My question is what’s gonna happen with Ian and Lucy?? Are Harper and Will gonna get back together?? Will you guys continue to a second season?? So many questions!!

38. Bri says:

I really want it to come back I cried because it was over plzzzzz bring it back I beg keeping my fingers crossed

39. Kelsey hale says:

When dose season 2 start?

40. Bianca Santis says:

It got cancelled peeps! Sorry

41. Jeni says:

I loved Happyland! I would much rather watch this than teen pregnancies any day. Please bring it back!

42. Ainsley says:

I absolutely love this show! So hooked! Can their please be a new season?! When does it start?

43. Krystel says:

I am so disappointed that MTV cancelled Season 2. This is really the only show on their network that I take time out to watch

44. annabella says:

omg I hate the end it is so depressing it would be more fun if will and harper also would hook up but nobody would tell eachother

45. nikiy says:

Enjoy season 1 looking forward to seeing. Season 2

46. Hey I’m from Denmark, and I would like if there’s coming a new season. Love this show.TOTALLY.

47. nikki says:

I love this show so much

48. Ana says:

This my favorite show bring it back I miss watching it

49. dontanae says:

there really need’s to be another season please when will it come back on it is November 17th 2015 and they still didn’t put happy bland back on i think all of happy land fans well the people who likes the show and wants to see it back on again should totally come together and write MTV somehow someway we need to let them know that we want happy land season 2!

50. Ella says:

I hope ther is a season 2 or episode 9 at lest. I lobe this show there is so much drama and love how they ended on a boom shell every episode and on the last on so I think there has to be a season 2