Katey Sagal Joins Kurt Sutter's New FX Drama The Bastard Executioner

The Bastard Executioner Cast Katey Sagal

Sons of Anarchy power couple Kurt Sutter and Katey Sagal are looking to make lightning strike twice.

The real-life husband and wife team will reunite on Sutter’s in-the-works FX follow-up, The Bastard Executioner.

Sagal confirmed that she will appear in the period drama during a conference call with reporters.

“I’m going to be in it,” she said. “We don’t know in what capacity yet, because he’s just starting to work on it. But that’s where we’re going. I will definitely be involved with it.”

The project, which was ordered to pilot by FX late last year, revolves around a warrior knight in King Edward III’s charge. The titular character, having retired from fighting due to psychological burnout and turmoil, must pick his sword back up — and swing it on the necks of the damned – when violence rears its ugly head again.

Sons of Anarchy‘s series finale is set to air on Tuesday, Dec. 9 on FX. (Reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Allan says:

She’ll probably sing the tune that goes over the 15 minute long montage at the end of every episode.

So pretty much what she does now.

2. Lisa says:

I love Katey but I had hoped SoA was gonna be her last project with Kurt for a while. She gets so much unnecessary flack and dismissal for this relationship… She is very talented actress and I’m sure she can still get work on her own but bc she’s the boss’ wife, people scream nepotism and dismiss her. I don’t find it fair and I know she’s better than what her husband give her anyways.

• Andrew Barba says:

Why would she want to go on her own she’s with the biggest writer in television today!

• Brooke says:

Anyone who dismisses her wouldn’t know acting if it hit them over the head. She’s supremely talented. Her husband is an exceptional writer. So of course professionally I’m sure it’s wonderful for them to get to take advantage of that. And I’m sure working together makes their home life easier, because they’re not away from each other for long hours on the set. Win-win. Anyone who says otherwise is just breathing out hot air.

• Josh says:

Who’d dismiss her? She’s been on two long running shows, plus a longish running comedy. She’s been a bigger deal before he is for a while.

• Paul says:

The two shows you’re referring to were roles she played because combination of her physical appearance, unusual size and cartoonish voice and delivery made her a good fit for comedic roles. Her part on a drama like Sons of Anarchy was so far beyond her reach as an actor it was painful to watch at times, down right laughable at others. The very physical characteristics which worked for her in the other roles made her character in SOA so utterly ridiculous and intolerable near the end that fans of the show were posting weekly for her character to be killed off and offering suggestions on how to do it as brutally as possible.

• We were posting for her to die because of who she was in the show and what she did, not who she is in real life and definitely not because of anything having to do with her “physical characteristics.” LOL! I really just have to laugh at the your sheer ignorance of the entire series and apparent stupidity in your post!

• Sandra says:

I think she is a very good actress and brought a lot to the show.

• Vicky says:

Stop Hating. Katy & hubby are talented people who work well together. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? How many married folks are able to work together? Love THE SONS

• David Guirao says:

Katey is a superb actress and has done much work no including her husband. The person who really got screwed from this series was the star, Charlie Hunnam. He should have been in 50 Shades of gray but so many idiots cried out he wasn’t the man for the part. Usually this doesn’t matter once someone is cast as they prove these people wrong. Ann Rice hated the casting of Tom Cruise as LeStat in Interview with a Vampire but was proven wrong and admitted he was perfect after the movie shot. For some reason Charlie Hunnam was replaced and they blammed it on SOA shooting schedule but that was B/S. He graciously has never told the true story. Charlie was a gay man in Queer as Folk, the British Edition and so being Jax meant he sure wasn’t type cast but suddenly being Jax he wasn’t sexy enough. Let me tell you that boy is hard as a rock and cut. He is beautiful when he is cleaned up from playing Jax. Katey is moving right into another series but Charlie is the guy getting screwed. He is a wonderful actor who deserved that movie if not for the cry baby’s who think actors are the characters they play. Acting people, ACTING. We become whatever character is on the page and that is why they call us ACTORS. Will the idiots in this world ever understand what it is that we do before they lock us into a fictional character. Can’t wait till Charlie Hunnam is in a part that blows everyones mind. Revenge is sweet.

• Sandra says:

I think Charlie Hunnam is the best actor ever. I mean as good as, if not better than, Robert Mitchum, Clark Gable, John Wayne, Sean Connery. He was fabulous in SOA. His acting amazed me. I cannot believe SOA is almost over. It is such a wonderful TV series, it should never end! I hope he stars in the upcoming projects Kurt Sutter has.

• lolo says:

No he didnt want to do Shades of Grey he backed out

3. Awesome! I love Katey. I’ll definitely be watching this.

4. Snarky's Day says:

‘Game of Crones’!

5. Stacie says:

I am so excited! ! The greatest writing mind and the beautifully talented actress together again has got to be great. Can’t wait! !!

• Absolutely agree!! AND, just because her husband is famous, doesn’t mean she’s getting these parts because of that… She get’s them because she’s been a great addition to his show. ALL shows NEED a villain, drama @ a shock factor or they would be boring, and she did that…. Along with ALL the actor’s on this show. The one thing I felt disappointed to watch was “The After Show” … and what sucks is that I wanted to watch it to hear about their experiences, but having to listen to Kurt Sutter talk was utterly painful! It takes him 10 minutes to finish a sentence because he said “UMM” SO MANY TIMES!! Dude, you should stick to writing and let sexy Charlie talk!!

6. linda ramon says:

Mr.sutter u r onr freakin awesome writer and yes i am saddened to see soa be over with but cant wait to c what u have waiting for ……

7. Marie says:

Can’t wait to see Sutter’s next work!

8. Anne says:

Now I have a reason to watch it. She’s simply divine.

9. Bill Mcamis says:

Don’t see how anything could be as good as SOA but I look forward to finding out. If it by Curt I’m sure it will be great.

10. The Truth says:

She has way to much plastic surgery to be in a period piece! Her husband ruins his shows by casting her all the time she is Peg Bundy always will be, can not believe her as anything else she played it for over 300 episodes hard to lose that! Her husband just likes to have her gang banged and likes watching her blow guys on screen I guess it turns him on, wonder what her kids think? She doesn’t seem to care. I think they are very low class vile vulgar people but thats just my opinion! Her husband looks like one of the Hanson Brothers from the movie Slap Shot.

• Wow. Look who’s calling someone low class

• Lily says:

Plastic surgery? You’re nuts! I think you like watching the show with your husband and kids and you all get off on each other.

• ruth says:

Idiot!! She is a great actress

• sandy says:

The part she played in soa was amazing and katey is what made the show amazing. You obviously haven’t watched good acting have you..please go watch your cartoons and stfu

• Sandra says:

I think Katey is a good actress and I liked her a lot in SOA. I also liked everyone of the cast members and think they all were good. However, it was Charlie Hunnam who made the show what it was. His acting throughout the series was phenomenal! I hate the fact that the show is over and certainly hope that he plays the lead in the Bastard Executioner. He would make any show he is in great.

11. Christian says:

I believe SOA, went for a season too long…It should of ended with Clay..This last season has missed tgat bakance of humour and violence and has similarities with The Shield’s final season.. dont get me wrong, I love the show, but there is too many story lines, that havent been dealt with and there is only 3 episodes left..

12. Josh says:

I hope she appears in a comedy again. Sure she’s terrific at drama, but she’s great at comedy too. Maybe a dramedy?

13. Jojo says:

She has had way to much plastic surgery to do a period piece, don’t actors relize when they get all this work done on there faces they limit what they can do as a actor? Also her husband kept having raped and sexually abused he was the show runner on SOA I find that very odd. Maybe they like that in some kinky way really a classy couple huh?

14. Nathan Allen says:

I am really bummed that son’s is coming to an end is there anyway we can save the series?

15. Darla says:

I was just wondering on sons of anarchy why Jax never found out what Gemma did; helping plot his father’s death? What was the point of Tara finding out she was involved if Jax would never find out?

16. gjakogi40k says:

“Katey Sagal Teases Killer Gemma-Jax Climax, Insists Her Character ‘Is Not a Psychopath’”

you know she’s crazy when she doesn’t think a psychopathic grandma who killed her daughter in law isn’t “psycho”

17. Vicky says:

SONS OF ANARCHY is one of the top ten shows produced ON TV PERIOD. Thanks for the journey. The writers, producer and Exceptional Actors took me to a community in America that I never knew.

18. Donna says:

Any one from soa going to be in your new show ??

19. Sandra says:

Will Charlie Hunnam be in the Bastard Executioner?

20. Gina says:

Awesome I’m so excited. I love Katey sagel an Kurt Sutter is such a entertaining genius!! An if she wants to sing in every show that’s fine by me to..what a power couple!!

21. abby says:

I think Katy is a remarkable woman and kurt a very talent writer.and yes looking forward to they next show.can’t wait….love these guys

22. hollie says:

Why do people care how much she sings? Or if she’s in a lot of things her husband writes? Its a great show, she has an awesome, unique voice, she’s a great actress and he’s a great writer…

23. Lori Fullerton says:

SOA was absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much.
    Is there an airing date scheduled for “The Bastards” ?

Eagerly anticipating…..
    Lori Fullerton

24. Nothing will ever come close to soa. It was epic,life changing,untouchable.sutter nailed it,anything else will be mediocre.

25. john Lafosse says:

Is charlie hunnam going to be in the new movie bastard executioner?

26. Paul says:

Wow, terrible news. I would have been interested in checking out the new series but after the way Sutter allowed his efforts to prop up his wife’s non-existent career without him to wreck the last 2 and half to 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy I’ll pass now.

27. Compton' Cutie says:

Omg! I’m so obsessed wit SOA😇 I HAVE ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY HOOKED ALSO. I hate to see it go. Love all the music 🎶 they played etc.
    Like that song (Make it rain ☔) by:Ed Sheeran
    The bomb 💣 but I will be tuning in to the TBE👍

28. Bex says:

I loved the spiritual side of Jax in the finale and its spiritual side period. When Nero asks, “where will you go”?”. Jax says he doesn’t know (Heaven or Hell). Understanding JT’s death, the realization that the homeless woman was just biding her time to take Jax “home”. Brilliant and beautiful. Sad but peaceful……

29. Nancy says:

Knew that was coming. Too horribly boring. He’ll probably use his “preferred” plot threads in this medieval mess. Rapes, murders and sodomy. He has no originality, is at best a mediocre storyteller and his wife isn’t young or beautiful enough to be anything other than a caricature of herself or a biker skank.

30. Liz says:

Hey, maybe Charlie Hunnam will be another great addition….just sayin

• San says:

I agree! Charlie would be and I sure hope he is the lead character! Charlie Hunnam is a great actor and would be a plus to any TV series / movie he is in. The fact that he is extremely good looking and has a great body is a double plus!

31. Jan.vanhaften says:

Love katey an Kurt this executioner will be a hit!

32. imtrubl says:

Tuesday night was sooo boring without SOA last night! I didn’t know what to do with myself! Boo! Meh!😓

33. J. Veltri says:

Would like spin-offs re Jax’s sons,, The First Nine and a follow-up on Tig and Venus. SOA best ever. Have dvds.

34. Stephanie Dafoe says:

when does the show start

• Sandra says:

• Sandra says:

I was hoping Charlie Hunnam would be in it. SOA was a really good well written TV series and all the actors in it were very good. However, Charlie Hunnam is who made the show what it was. He and Katey Sagal were really good together as mother and son.

35. Deb says:

I started watching this because I thought Charlie would be in it.. so bummed!