DWTS Season 19 Semifinals Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

dancing-with-the-stars-dwts-recap-week-9-results-tommy-chong-sadie-robertson

A number of intriguing questions lingered going into Week 10 – beyond the usual, “Whaaaa? The semi-finals are already here?” – of Dancing With the Stars: Would a rumored groin injury be the downfall of one of Season 19’s shiniest stars, Alfonso Ribeiro? Could 76-year-old Tommy Chong continue to defy the odds, the judges and his own ballroom limitations to escape elimination yet again? Might the remaining trio of fierce and fabulous females — Sadie Robertson, Janel Parrish, and Bethany Mota – reach next week’s finale?

With the Mirrorball trophy so tantalizingly close, tonight’s live show required our celebs to perform two dances, to “Plugged/Unplugged” versions of the same song, while special guests such as The Voice finalist Christina Grimmie and You Tube sensation Noah Guthrie added musical sparkle to the festivities.

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT:  Janel Parrish and pro Val Chmerkovskiy: In a dramatic, delicious Paso Doble that was pure perfection, Janel let us all know she was not content with second-best. Carrie Ann Inaba was downright ecstatic, screaming, “That was over way too soon, it was so dynamic, so dramatic!” while Julianne Hough praised the perfectly synced performance, saying, “You guys were one, there was no separation.” Len Goodman was downright giddy, calling it a “fabulous routine” while Bruno Tonioli hailed the duo as “an untamed force of nature… you really set the stage on fire!” Did I already mention it got nothing but 10s?

RUNNER-UP DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Bethany Mota and pro Derek Hough: With a contemporary dance choreographed beautifully around a lone white picture frame, Bethany wow-wow-wowed the judges.  “This dance should be on permanent display in an art gallery,” gushed Bruno, “it’s a modern masterpiece.” Len dubbed it “a Picasso of a dance,” but Julianne went for the most obvious metaphor: “It was picture-perfect.” To no one’s surprise, the dance earned a quad of perfect 10s, too.

MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED: This is the semi-finals, and while the judges may occasionally over-score (Tommy’s OK rumba got two 9s), no one got any overly pitiful paddles tonight.

WORST OF THE NIGHT: Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd: Despite an inspired musical choice (’80s classic “Tainted Love”), Tommy’s opening jazz dance did little to dispel his recurring role as DWTS’s most beloved charity case. While politeness abounded from Julianne (“You are the wildcard…and that was wild!”) and Carrie Ann (“Peta, you are the hardest working woman in show business…you’ve made Tommy like the most valuable player.”), it was Bruno’s matter-of-fact praise of Peta that perhaps said it best: “She can bring the dead back to life!” The dance earned a string of generous 7s from the judges.

And now for the results…

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Sadie Robertson and pro Mark Ballas
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd
Bethany Mota and pro Derek Hough

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Sadie Robertson and pro Mark Ballas
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd

ELIMINATED
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd

“I just showed that old stoners can perform when they need to,” said a gracious Tommy of his DWTS experience, after receiving a standing ovation from the ballroom.

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couple really go home? Sound off in the comments!

1. John Relyea says:

Tommy did better than most men his age, but this competition is for the young. I’m 67 and I can’t do the things I could forty years ago, but Tommy, I salute you for more than trying. You really made a run at it.

2. Yes they sent home the right one. I like watching him perform but he doesnt dance to the same level as the finalist !

3. Dianne says:

It was Time for Tommy to go, but god bless him as he did a heck of a job of dancing at his age. He was very humble and distinguished at all times, Pita should be proud of Tommy and herself. But I do believe Sadie should move on, she is a beautiful dancer.

4. nikki says:

The elder couple did great but it was time to go.

5. Truefan says:

I would have liked to see Tommy Chong stay one more week.

6. It’s been a while where we’ve had a final four this solid. No “wild cards” to screw things up. No matter who wins at this point, it was someone who could truly dance.

7. Pat lee says:

Yes. And I would also like to commend Mark for keeping the dances with Sadie in line with her beliefs AND age appropriate.

8. Paula says:

Kudos to Tommy and Peta for all they accomplished. Peta is one of the top 2 women pros; she is
    AH-mazing!! The best couples are in the finals, without a doubt!! The
    Final will be competitive and FUN!

9. K. Bruggie says:

Yes, no offense to him but he needed to go home weeks ago. Yeah he does great for a 67 year old but the fact that other…BETTER…dancers went home (Leah for one) when they could have had a chance go further was disappointing.

10. lowe says:

The wrong couple went home for sure.

11. Emmy says:

yes, the right couple went home. for the first time in a long time, maybe ever, the four people heading to the finals are exactly who should be heading to the finals. It’s really anybody’s game with these four. I would prefer to see Janel or Alfonso win (Just for personal taste) but I would not be disappointed if any of them won.

12. Kim R says:

I so enjoy DWTS and the final 4 couples are all fantastic. It will be a close finish I am sure.

• Jess Burgess says:

I agree, but hope mostly that Alfonso can be nice and healthy come next week. He’s got rhythm and experience to take the mirror-ball trophy home if the groin injury doesn’t do him in. I loved Tommys performances and regretfully they made the right choice.

13. I.R.E. says:

Older people are allowed to compete in DWTS, but it might be too difficult for them to win!

14. Cathy Malsch says:

Tommy needed to go. It would have been an insult to the other great dancers for him to stay any longer.

15. Nick says:

Gosh I want Alfonso to win this thing so badly. If Sadie wins, I’d be happy too.

16. Maxine Fountain says:

Good Morning, I am an ‘oldie’ also and, as much as I would really like to see another from my generation win, it was past time for Tommy to go! I dance weekly with men Tommy age who are technically more proficient than he. Kudos to you, Tommy, for your courage and grit. You did well. By the way, 67 isn’t old! Peta, you did a wonders with your choreography with him.
    (PS. I think Leah should have stayed last week and Tommy graciously voted off.) I am hoping to see one of the ‘mature’ dancers win one day!

17. Ann says:

The results are right on target. Tommy did very well and much better than most men his age. He is an inspiration to others, but this is a competition, and I think he was kept on the show longer than necessary. The finals will be most difficult to judge as the remaining couples are outstanding. Thank you for another great season of dancing…

18. Pat says:

Absolutely the right choice. Tommy showed fortitude but he was by no means even close to being the best dancer and he knew that. Congrats for hanging in there.

19. alyssa says:

yes they sent home the right person BETHANY AND DEREK ALL THE WAY!!! I really hope janel doesnt win