Castle Recap: How the West Was Fun

Castle Honeymoon

This week on ABC’s Castle, newlyweds Rick and Kate escaped the furled brows of those not invited to their impetuous wedding by making tracks for an Old West resort, to investigate a murder. When all was said and done, did their “so not a honeymoon” leave you satisfied?

THE CASE | ‎ I wasn’t a fan of this case, in part because I felt like the added layer of NYC-based relations — Phillip Dagmar and his wife — needlessly muddled the story. I’m typically game for the occasional “treasure hunt” motive, but this “Partner 3 covered for Partner 2’s murder of Partner 1” stuff… zzzz. I’d rather have seen a conspiracy among the larger resort staff. And while the resort boss turning out to be the killer was a bit obvious, having silhouetted Kate save the day with a quick draw from just inside the saloon’s swinging doors was a nice atmospheric touch, punctuated by her gun twirl. (Yes, that was the badass Beckett moment.)

THE CASKETT | Cold opens such as this episode’s are the kind that make you entertain the (impossible) idea that TPTB read comments or “message boards” and course-correct accordingly, seeing as Ryan, Esposito and Lanie were as cheesed off by the perceived wedded dis as many suggested they absolutely should be. (“You suck” is how Espo succinctly put it.) Still, I think many would agree that there was much more storyline “gold” to be mined in their hurt feelings (and mourning of missed carbs!) than had they been neatly tucked into the background of last week’s “Hamptons” nuptials. This approach even slipped Gates into the spotlight for a brief moment, as she counseled RySpo to stop licking their wounds and do something positive — like, you know, donate some days off to the honeymoon cause.

‎As for Caskett themselves, the campfire scene was heading in a very nice direction before being cut short by the rattlesnake — but for once can we have a brazen, bedroom-eyed Beckett not turn Rick into a flustered, fumbling-whatever-he-has-in-his-hands schoolboy? (Wasn’t this guy a smooth playa back in the day?) Somewhat making up for it all was the pleasingly playful closing scene, in which Beckett bought into the Old West honeymoon notion (for now). Also, bullet wound scar! And no green screen!!!

THE QUIPS
* “I hate to say this but… your husband may be right.”
* “This is like three fantasies coming true all at once.”
* “I like my coffee like I like my men — strong, black and bitter‎.”
* “That’s why we don’t approach this like cops, we approach it like writers.” “We procrastinate and make stuff up…?”
* “What do you all call whiskey here?” “Whiskey‎.”
* [Rick to the horses] “Esposito, Ryan — yee-haw!”
* “Cornelius and Percy Pea…. cock.‎”
* “If I survive this, I’m giving this place a scathing review on Yelp.”
* “We’re probably the reason they fell in love in the first place.” (Keep telling yourself that, boys.)

What did you think of “Once Upon a Time in the West”?

1. leigh says:

Such a cute, fun episode 😊

2. lw says:

Absolutely LOVED this episode! Fun, romantic and out of the city. They actually did “newlywed” lovey dovey hand holding and hugs – without losing their banter. Great episode!

3. christina says:

I loved every second of this episode. So many great one liners, cute Castle and Beckett scenes (THEY’RE MARRIED!), great moments with the rest of the team at the precinct, and OUTFITS! This one is staying on the DVR.

4. Kate says:

Yeeeeehawww! That was one fun episode!

5. Flick says:

Thought the episode was spot on awesome! The best follow up from the wedding! That opening scene at the loft left me laughing (and can we talk about that western themed title card?? Uh love it!!)

Old man winter did such a good job and I loved Gates’ little quip of not being invited – it’s like she’s slowly becoming family! Martha + Alexis = comedy gold.

Thought the case was actually pretty interesting (glad the killer wasn’t the sheriff too!). A+ writers. Well done!

6. Anon says:

This was a very entertaining episode . It had just the right balance that was needed . The only drawback is again with the Caskett interruptions but otherwise an excellent episode!

7. John says:

A great, fun episode. As a mystery it was just okay, but “Castle” isn’t a procedural and it the relationshipd more than the case of the week I watch for and the Caskett scenes at the dude ranch were great.

8. ProfessorPreis says:

Great episode. My only disappointment – no Firefly references. If there was ever an episode to reference Firefly, it was this one (and the scifi convention one).

• c-mo says:

I took their nod to Firefly as Castle wearing a brown vest. He’s already done the brown coat a couple of times, once in Vampire Weekend when he was “Space Cowboy” and again in Headhunters when he gave his “brown jacket” to Slaughter.

• Cathy J says:

There was one: the name on the stagecoach when they pull into town was the “Se…something and Deadwood” —Deadwood is a Firefly reference (the other name might be too, but I can’t remember it).

• JB Self says:

Spearfish-Deadwood Stage Lines is actually one of the most famous historical stages. I do not recall either in Firefly, but I have been known to forget things.

• Cathy J says:

Deadwood is one of the planets in the ‘Verse, and is also the name of the Firefly and Serenity online database. (It’s of course more than possible that Joss Whedon got the planet name from the AZ reference, so it would be a double-back of sorts.)

• lkh says:

Deadwood is a very famous western town in South Dakota and the name has been used in many, many westerns over the years. In addition, Deadwood was a great series on HBO starring Timothy Olyphant.

• Rich Abey says:

There were a few nods scattered through but the biggest chance came during the standoff. I was just dying to see Castle turn into Cp. Mal Reynolds for just one moment …but no he fumbled his way through it. Still we got badass Beckett coming to his rescue, emerging through the gunfire smoke & salon doors like the true Eastern (she is from New York, not Texas) heroine she is. Afterall Kbecks is the best shot of the East according to an albeit mightily relived Rick!

9. Alisa says:

This was a very fun episode and I enjoyed all of the characters even the butt-hurt ones.

10. RBA says:

Though I somewhat like this episode I do have to agree with your take Matt… The NYC scenes dragged the episode as did some of the COTW, and for a supposedly not their Honeymoon episode there really wasn’t that much Caskett.

In a way this episode reminded me of Murder He Wrote, but MHW had the sizzle and this one did not. The best scenes were given away in the sneaks, and from then on the episode became a little to case heavy with some funny sweet moments.

Overall it gets a tepid thumbs up for me. Definitely a double and not a Home run, and unfortunately the show is in desperate need of a Home run.

11. dave says:

Very fun ep.. reminded me of the days of old.. hope this scenario continues throughout the rest of the season.. very weired to hear Gates call Castle “Her husband” after all this time..

12. I was worried after last weeks was fun but felt like they hadn’t really exploited the premise enough (parallel Gates anyone? So many possibilities), but this one pretty much nailed it. The set-up was maybe the worst part but it really wasn’t the focus so that’s okay.

Anyone else think Castle looked perhaps too excited when they found out the naked cowboy in the bathroom was gay?

13. barbarawitte says:

I think I was a great and fun episode for Castle and Beckett’s honeymoon .I enjoyed it because it was a different departure form NYC .@Barbara AWitte

14. Kourt says:

I loved this episode. I loved Kate and Rick’s impromptu honeymoon. Kate and Rick’s banter was such a highlight for me. Married life really suits Mrs Castle. She is so happy and kept giving Castle these smiles that made my heart ache. Great episode. This episode had everything fun, heart, comedy, romance

15. Briggs says:

Thank you, Gates! I hope that those that complained about the short guest list were paying attention. It was there right to invite anyone they wanted to, and that should be respected. And the ‘wedding gift’ was perfect.

16. Matthew Weber says:

Really liked it, but I like almost every episode, so it doesn’t really say much. It was fun, funny, and I loved Stana’s outfits. Loved that they finally showed some consistency with her bullet wound, their rings, and an actual set. Overall very good.

17. Luli says:

Favorite episode of the season, and I’m even counting the one with the wedding! The banter, the flirtiness, I love married Caskett! Easily on my top five.

18. Matthew Weber says:

Oh, and seriously? Gates has been around for 3+ seasons now, and NOW she finally found a heart? What she do visit the Wizard of OZ? I’ve hated her for the whole time. Dammit, now I like her just a little.

19. DarkDefender says:

I liked it. Not as much as last week, but I liked it.
    Mr. Beckett (Castle’s look!)
    “Your husband”
    Badass Beckett in all black!!
    The opening title card (was awesome).
    Buying Beckett matching guns as a wedding gift
    Martha killed it again (Susan Sullivan needs a comedy emmy nod for this season)
    My favorite line (when Castle told Beckett to approach the case like a writer)
    BECKETT: You mean procrastinate and then make something up?
    CASTLE: No, but yeah..but no.

20. S. says:

If the larger resort staff were involved, it might’ve been a more creative case, but it would’ve given the boys and Gates less to do. Cutting back just to watch them pout wouldn’t have gone on long enough, they needed to have some involvement in the story–unless you’re counting “Ryan” and “Esposito” pulling that wagon. ;) Could they really go along on the (not a) honeymoon? There might’ve been a way, but I think the case had to be set up like that to not get in the way of the Caskett banter/Ryan & Espo sulking. The actress playing the sheriff’s wife or whatever was really good. Would’ve liked her to have a role in the case itself.

• Lyn says:

But it kind of didn’t make sense that the dude ranch would be business as usual when the owner got arrested for murder. That lady was the owner’s wife, not the sheriff’s. So how could Rick & Kate stay?

• c-mo says:

Because the wife was the one that ran things around the ranch. I can’t remember the exact line but the owner said something like “that’s the wife, like yours she runs everything around here” to Rick when her character first appeared on screen.

21. Jennifer says:

I, too, loved this episode. It was a perfect blend of crime solving, comedy, and romance. The banter and chemistry was great. Stana said they had fun shooting this episode and it showed. I also liked Gates’ involvement and the themed visual effects and music.

22. James D says:

I think this might go in my top ten favorite episodes, it was fun, the COW was interesting, and their were some great Caskett moments loved it all. I do agree with Matt though the fumbling Castle thing is getting a little tired, sort of wish they’d stop emasculating him when it comes to Beckett he’s become sort of an oaf over the past few seasons, at least Nathan can pull it off with the best of them, but really i’d love to see him take more charge every once and awhile. Great episode.

• Lyn says:

COW was about COWboys. LOL

• AnnieC says:

I agree James. We’ve seen Castle very comfortable with guns in previous episodes and getting caught in the saloon doors was just silly. Nathan pulls it off but its getting old. As much as some like “Badass Beckett” I love to see some “Kickass Castle”.

• paula says:

But remember he had had a few drinks. I don’t think Castle holds his liquor as well as Beckett does. Also I think drinking can explain some of his bad boy choices BC (before Beckett) in his career.

• KatsMom says:

I think he would have been much more comfortable with the gun and facing off against the murderer if he hadn’t seen the dude’s gun skills earlier in the episode. Dude clearly had a lot of practice making a quick draw. I found it much more ridiculous that a poker player like Castle has no poker face when it came to hearing he was sitting with the murderer. He might as well have dropped the phone and blurted out, “You did it!” I mean, he’s incapable of coolly saying, “I’ll pass that long to Beckett when she gets back” and then making an annoyed quip about being her secretary or something? So maybe he doesn’t pull it off, fine, but I can’t believe he didn’t give it a better shot than just staring at the guy with a panicked look on his face.

23. Teri says:

Stana and Nathan were in their prime. Loved it!

24. lauri5567 says:

Really liked the episode. Loved the pouting, though I was surprised they didn’t ask for the Ferrari to make up for it. Loved Gates complaining she wasn’t invited to the toast, and then arranging for Kate’s time off. And was that the 4th wedding outfit we’ve seen on Kate?
    I agree I wish we would see a more suave Rick from time to time.
    Also, I know they did a soap themed episode, but I would have loved if they had run into a Bo or Clint Buchanon out in the West. (Or heck, maybe Martha has an old actress rival in Robin Strasser)

25. Luli says:

What does TPTB mean ??? Does TP stand for Terrence Paul?

26. sigh says:

Honesty I wish there was a pill I could take that would make me like it as much as everyone else did! I loved the first ten minutes or so and was looking forward to the rest, but it just got so bad and silly for me. Oh well.

• lkh says:

Oh thank you so much! I thought I must have been watching the wrong channel or hallucinating or passed out drunk–something. I thought it was just an opportunity to play with the stuff in the back lot and wear different cowboy gear. So silly and contrived. Had really been looking forward to it, but not good for me at all. I so hope that this whole season is not going to continue with this very silly nonsense and a very weak storyline. Maybe I’m just grumpy and should re watch but don’t think I have the stomach for that. sorry all.

• sigh says:

(Don’t you mean sorry y’all?) Ok, glad I’m not alone! I think they are just crossing genres off their list — 40s, western, sci-fi, etc. — which wouldn’t necessarily be bad if they didn’t seem contrived. :)

• lkh says:

aw shucks, you’re right, sorry ‘y’all’

27. Just one thing says:

Fun episode and very fast paced. Not enough Tyler Hilton, but oh well. :-)
    I was struck by how cinematically and stylistically this episode was shot. Lots of standout shots throughout the episode.

28. Anshuman says:

It was a fun episode. Interesting to see Gates warming up to the two getting married without warming up to Castle.

29. Lena says:

I would have loved to see more Tyler Hilton’s character, he was hilarious. I’m just a little disappointed that they once again separated Castle and Beckett a lot.

30. MissM says:

So one more reason to be disappointed that Espo/Ryan weren’t invited to the wedding – they wrote a song! and now they refuse to perform it.

31. lame says:

Was almost as good as “clear and present danger” . 7.03 was more intriguing and out right fun

32. KCC says:

Loved the episode. The thing I enjoy most about Castle it the banter between the characters and this episode had a chuck wagon full of it. I can look past plot holes, absent rings, lack of physical contact between the leads and bumbling Rick, just give me a line like “procrastinate then make something up” every 5 minutes and I’m happy.

33. Jess says:

I loved Tyler Hilton as the gay cowboy lol he was hilarious. I loved the Dagmars. I recognized the wife from her days on Passions. I liked that Dagmar had a deeper connection to the victim. Kind of sad her dad was dead. Loved that the resort owner as guilty. It wasn’t that obvious that he was the guilty party. I loved this episode and can’t wait until next week’s episode. Should be a fun Esposito-centric episode.

34. Lyn says:

It was OK. IMO Psych did it better, and with Castle’s father [James Brolin]! Stana was gorgeous all outlawed up in the black outfit.

35. Julie Lamb says:

It was a fun episode that I watched at 2:35am cst due to Football. Castle is a player but when it comes to Beckett, he still is that school kid. It should make for a long and happy marriage.

36. AnnieC says:

I enjoyed the episode but it did walk a fine line between fun and silly. I’m one that wasn’t happy with last week’s episode and hope that this signals an end to the efforts to correct the mistakes made in 6×23 and we can get back to a team that solves serious cases, trusts each other, and Mr. and Mrs. Castle can spend some quality time together (uninterrupted) on screen.

As for this episode, LOVED the gay cowboy character. Almost wish he could come back to NYC and befriend Alexis, girl needs a good friend. The COTW was okay but didn’t really keep my interest. There were some really wonderful lines and the entire supporting cast was very entertaining, right down to the bartender. I do wish we would get back to the suave Castle of the first 3-4 seasons. We’ve already seen him comfortable with guns, we know he can charm the ladies, and do whatever is necessary to protect those he cares about. Let’s see a bit more of that and not some much Castle as the comic relief.

• lkh says:

I guess it is comic relief–but it’s starting to not be comical and I really need some relief!

• KCC says:

I kind of wonder if Castle really was that smooth with women. We never really saw him try to woo a woman except for Beckett (that I can remember. If I’m wrong, please refresh my memory.) I think his opening line was probably “I’m Rick Castle” and he let his fame and rugged good looks do the wooing. His rakish and bad boy act with Beckett didn’t getting any results in the first 3 years of trying.

37. Luis says:

Episode – meh. Beckett in that outfit – Ay chihuahua!!!!

38. theresa delicot says:

Cute episode overall….

39. shelly says:

i was kind of dissappointed that there was no firefly references. even if not the look since like a few said he did t he brown coat i was waiting from something like “I aim to misbehave” or something….or maybe a grenaide reference with the TNT.
    but i loved the episode and kate looked good in the black outfit…and pretty in the white dress. why couldn’t she have worn something like that to the wedding instead of t he disco outfit.

40. Moshai says:

The episide was incredibly cheesy, but it still worked for me. I was grinning like an idiot for most of the episode. On a shallow note, I’m pretty sure I lost any semblance of care for the plot once Stana showed up in that corset. My goodness woman.

41. Liz says:

Loved Beckett’s black outfit. They were very cute together, but I agree the case itself wasn’t very interesting. I called the treasure hidden in a cave almost immediately. I did love seeing Chris Keller/Tyler Hilton as a gay cowboy! Hilarious!

42. Grey says:

“If I survive this, I’m giving this place a scathing review on Yelp.”

I think maybe my favorite line of the whole ep. There’s so much complaint about Yelp and questions about its accuracy and fairness where I live that when he said that it was truly a LOL moment for me. Well done. Who knew this show would still be so funny seven years in?

43. Mary says:

I loved the episode, it was a perfect follow up to the wedding:) The case wasn´t the strongest one, but honestly that wasn´t my focus – I was more interest in the interactions bettween the cast and the episode delivered greatly! Like I said last week, I´d have liked to see Ryan, Espo and Lanie at the wedding, but after this episode I think the writters always had on mind to them not being there and I couldn´t agree more – because it made for an excellent oportunity to see their reactions and whinings (loved how Gates put them in their places):)
    And I´m looking forward to next episode – even if I´m not a great fan of Esposito (I´d prefer it to be Lanie or Ryan centred), it looks like an intense episode and I kind of miss those ones!

44. Ree says:

Did anyone notice the reference to the old Bonanza series when one of the scenes began with the burning map? I liked the episode. I think it set the right tone for beginning their married lives. Nothing serious or heavy, and they both looked like they were enjoying acting in this one.

• T says:

Kate also called Castle “Hoss” when they got out of the stagecoach. I think the funniest line was when Espo and Kate were on the phone and he asked about “Hop Along”. I liked this episode. It was fun and much more engaging than the ridiculous Castle “memory wipe” storyline that will inevitably come back.

45. JC1 says:

I loved it. Favorite episode of the season so far. :) Last week’s episode was a bit of a disappointment, but this totally made up for it.

46. SGotta says:

Can it be noted that OTH’s Chris Keller as a a gay cowboy was probably one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen?

47. Mary says:

Another quip to add: “I don´t know if it comes with the room, but there´s a naked cowboy shaving in our bathroom” – I laughed so much at that:)

48. lame says:

I hope Marlowe and Co wrap up all the loose ends in the second part of this season. It’s beginning to look like S 7 will be the last of Castle, Nathan Fillion and Allen Tudyik are co producing and staring in a new series”Con Man” according to StudioDaily.com. The return of Wash and Mel?

49. Rich Abey says:

That was some grand ol’e fun!

• Rich Abey says:

but the highlight of the episode was Kate’s ‘female-Zorro’ like getup. She looked sharp indeed..the best shot in the East!