Supernatural Recap: Something to Sing About? — Plus: [Spoiler] Returns!

Supernatural Chuck Returns

“If there was singing – and that’s a big if – if there was singing, it would be classic rock, not this Andrew Floyd Webber crap.”

So says Supernatural‘s Dean, butchered name and all, when he and Sam stumble upon a all-girls high school musical adaptation of their lives, based on the published and unpublished works of Chuck – who makes a surprise reappearance! – in the CW series’ 200th episode Tuesday night.

PHOTOS Supernatural Stars, Producers Reveal the Fallen Characters They’d Resurrect — and Who Should Stay Buried

But there was actually plenty to love about the hour – even Dean came around on the music – and lots of nice little touches to the show’s history and the passion of its fans. Most of all, I appreciated how accepting the message was.

While Dean initially balks at the idea of “Destiel” (the students playing Dean and Castiel are a couple) and Sam and Dean as something more than just siblings – “You know they’re brothers, right?” he asks, to which student writer/director Marie replies, “Well, duh. But subtext.” – he comes around and even encourages the teen’s interpretation of Carver Edlund’s works. See, what the Winchesters initially thought was a scarecrow attacking the drama teacher and students is actually Calliope, the Greek muse of epic poetry who manifests creatures from the stories she’s tormenting. She protects the author – in this case, Marie – until their vision is realized. And then she eats them. Gulp. So despite Marie’s panic attack, “the show must go on,” Dean announces, urging her to believe in her interpretation, even if he doesn’t, to allow them to kill Calliope.

“I want you to stand as close as she wants you to, and I want you to put as much ‘sub’ into that text as you possibly can,” he says, rallying the cast.

RELATED The CW Fall Finale Dates Revealed: Arrow, Supernatural, Flash and More

Supernatural Chuck ReturnsAfter they destroy Calliope, Dean tells Marie, “You keep writing, Shakespeare… I have my version, and you have yours.” And that’s OK.

Before that, Calliope summed up the appeal of the show when she explained why she chose this production to stalk: “Supernatural has everything! Life, death, resurrection, redemption. But above all, family.”

That last bit is especially evident during the “BM scene” (aka Boy Melodrama, not “bowel movement,” as Dean and Sam guess). When Marie hands over the prop Samulet, the elder Winchester replies, “I don’t need a symbol to remind me how I feel about my brother.”

The musical then stages a surprisingly touching rendition of Kansas’ “Carry On Wayward Son,” and it is crazy how much emotion Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki convey without words as their characters watch the number. The girls’ Dean and Sam have their own BM moment about “the two of us against the world.”

“What she said,” Sam tells Dean, who later strings up the Samulet on the impala’s rearview mirror. Awww!

As for Chuck’s welcome return at the end of the episode, he has a short but sweet review of the musical for fangirl Marie: “Not bad,” he says with a smile.

More highlights from the milestone hour:

Supernatural Chuck Returns* Let’s talk about the music. The emotion-stirring “Carry On Wayward Son” was, indeed, great, but so were many of the other tunes. From Cas’ ode about waiting around to Sam’s song about Dean’s single man tear, they were the right mix of meta, funny and catchy. And the actresses playing the students could really sing! (All three original songs and the cover will be released on iTunes Wednesday morning.)

* The montage of the show’s title cards over the past nine seasons was a wonderful touch, as was Dean’s “We got work to do” as the boys stood over the impala’s trunk, echoing the pilot.

* Eric Kripke Chuck stopped writing, and Marie couldn’t live with the “Swan Song” ending where Dean is cohabiting with Lisa and Sam’s back, but not with his brother. Thus, the musical’s second act is basically her fanfic, involving spaceships, robots, ninjas and Dean as a woman for a few scenes. When Dean tells her what happened over Seasons 6 through 10, she replies, “That is some of the worst fan fiction I’ve ever heard.”

* “Then again, you can’t spell subtext without S-E-X,” Marie tells Dean, who looks straight at the camera with horror and confusion.

* The stage manager after the Winchesters reveal their true identities: “You guys are way too old to be Sam and Dean. Maybe more of a Rufus/Bobby combo.” She has more opinions about Sam. Mainly, “if you cut your hair a little, you’d make a pretty good Dean.” Gilmore Girls shout-out?

* Marie on her wig: “I used this for my one-woman Orphan Black show last year. It’s going to have to work for Sam.”

* The front row gets ponchos for the performance! And hey, they actually come in handy (for the one guy who wears his) when the Scarecrow spews purple gunk all over half of the audience.

* “Who’s that?” Sam asks. Oh, just Adam, your forgotten half-brother, who’s still stuck in the cage with Lucifer. At least the show’s writers are willing to poke at their own lapses in continuity/mythology?

Supernatural fans, how much did you cheer at Chuck’s return? And what did you think of the show’s love letter to its fans? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. alistaircrane says:

Fantastic episode on so many levels! Loved the surprise cameo at the end, although I was hoping to see John Winchester. Also loved Sam and Dean driving off into CGI-heaven. That’s the shot I want to see when Supernatural inevitably ends. Anyway, loved it. So funny, excellent songs, and a great love letter to the fans. Perfection!

• henry says:

Completely agree. This episode was EPIC! And Chuck at the end was unexpected. I had given him for dead all this time… All in all one of the finest hours supernatural has ever produced!

• Zachary says:

The actor himself has confirmed that Chuck is God. He can literally return at any point in any episode if the writers wanted lol.

• Lo says:

I was about to say, the return of the Samulet and Chuck in the same episode can’t be a coincidence since Castiel told Dean in Season 5 that it was a way to find God (it would burn hot in God’s presence). They never truly followed up with that, though. I’m glad it came full circle last night :)

• NATASHA says:

YES I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING, HE MUST BE GOD . WHERE HAS HE BEEN. AND WHY IS HE STILL KIND OF WATCHING OVER HIM. VERY GOOD EPISODE.

• Daisy says:

AGREE!!! alistaircrane.
      I would like to see it end like that to but with Cass in the car too. Cass is my favorite character! >3 :)

• Daisy says:

alistaircrane, I like that Chuck is back I liked John but I’m glad that its Chuck, he was cool.

• The cameo was a little bit on the nose, but look at the show we are talking about! Subtlety went out the window after Kripke left.

2. alistaircrane says:

Also, I think Adam in the cage is being saved for the show’s endgame to be addressed fully.

• Goose says:

Come on, Adam’s never getting out of the cage. It’s a running gag but most people never warmed up to him. I could definitely do without a return!

• alistaircrane says:

I disagree. I liked Adam from the get-go. Plus, Sam and Dean aren’t evil characters but they will be if they leave their little brother to rot down there for eternity. Rooting for Adam to stay in the cage is cruel.

3. Cassandra says:

I can’t imagine why anyone on that poll would have voted fail, they must not be a Supernatural fan. That episode was great, best thing I’ve seen in years from the show. So happy the 200th episode seemed to hit on all the great points, including how the brothers have forgotten about Adam.

• JJ says:

Cause they’re mad Misha wasn’t in it…

• alistaircrane says:

Oh good lord. This show is about the brother relationship between Sam and Dean. Castiel (and Crowley) simply support that story. Sam and Dean are the core, the heart of the series.

• Nicole says:

THANK YOU!!! I couldn’t agree with you more. The show is about Sam and Dean. I’m so sick of hearing people say, “if they take Castiel off so won’t watch it” those people clearly don’t understand the show. The 200th episode was fantastic!

• alistaircrane says:

I’d love to see Castiel get a spin-off so he can leave Supernatural. The show is at its best when it focuses solely on Sam and Dean.

• Rick says:

I’m disappointed Misha wasn’t in it, but I still loved the episode. Don’t lump all fans into one category, please. People are allowed to have their own opinions of the show, and not everyone will love every single episode. It happens. The majority loved it, and that’s what matters.

• Anna says:

^THIS. I love Castiel, he’s my favourite, but I still voted for “Awesome” in that poll because the episode WAS awesome. Just because some people love Cas/Misha a lot doesn’t mean they don’t love the brothers as well. Maybe there was another reason people didn’t like it, maybe some of the people watching the show don’t like musicals? Idk, just stop thinking of all the Cas-fans as “bad fans” or whatever, because that’s wrong.

• Koolkatz says:

Cas is my all favorite, with Crowley and Bobbie. But this episode didn’t need them. And technically singing Castiel was there. ;}

• Daisy says:

Agree, who would ever rate ‘fail’. those people who did mut be crazy or like you said not a Supernatural fan.

4. Amazing episode. That ending gave me some serious chills. 200 episodes in and I’m still getting chills like that… Perfection.

• Cassandra says:

Agreed. I had a single female tear running down my cheek after Dean hung up the Samulet. I didn’t think it would get any better and then we find out Chuck’s still alive. Loved everything about this episode.

5. Debbie Bitz says:

LOVE all I have to say.

6. Fan says:

A Single Man Tear will top the iTunes charts tomorrow :P

7. nikki says:

Sometimes I wonder if the writers are laughing with us or laughing at us.

• A little of both. And they’re laughing at themselves as well.

• Rain says:

Honestly, I always cringe at the episodes about the fans because I feel like they’re laughing AT the fans. I never understand why the most obsessed find these episodes so fantastic, I find them insulting – and I’m just a normal fan, not an over the top obsessed one!

8. Sheila says:

Great fun! I was genuinely surprised at how well the girls sang, and the songs were pretty good! And yay, Chuck!

9. I haven’t had a laugh that good in a long, LONG time.

10. Two things.

1. The song is Carry On, Wayward Son. There is no My in the title.
    2. If Chuck is back, does that mean God is back? What effect, if any, will this have on the angel/heaven storyline?

11. Jane says:

I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted to see. The girls singing Carry on My Wayward Son at the end made me cry. Love this show! Congrats on 10 years and 200 shows.

12. i stopped watching a couple seasons ago but i hope someone uploads a video of “carry on” Best “theme song” ever

13. Isolis says:

OMG the Mantear song XD I could not stop laughing. It was great!!

14. B says:

The cover of Carry On Wayward Son, along with Sam and Dean’s reactions, was stellar. Loved seeing Chuck at the end.

15. Christine says:

That was way, way better than I thought it would be. Sometimes shows don’t live up to the hype, but this one had me laughing hysterically, and during the ‘Carry On My Wayward Son’ cover, I got a little teary-eyed. Loved the Adam reference, the amulet- all of it was amazing.

16. mike says:

it’s was awesome

17. Nicole says:

“I just got hit by a mini van Chuck”

SOOOO happy to see Chuck again…and all of the wonderful references to different parts of the show…i loved it!!!

18. ninamags says:

This was a fantastic episode!
    I loved every second of it. I did tear up at the end.

Thank you Jared and Jensen for your commitment to this show and for the 10 amazing years that you have entertained us with. 💕💕💕💕

19. Rowan77 says:

Really loved the episode. A great love letter to the fans – and seeing Chuck again was just the best! And he looked good! We’re so used to seeing him look disheveled and not particularly healthy and self-assured, but here he looked really great. Read into that what you will!

20. Sheldon W. says:

a) Now THAT was meta!
    b) Yes, those songs were pretty terrific.
    c) Is it just me, or was that the best meta ep of the series to date?

21. ninergrl6 says:

I’ve been watching SPN since day 1 and that was the BEST EPISODE EVER! What a brilliant tribute to the show and the fans. There are too many great lines to list. I laughed, I cried, and I’m SO thrilled that I’ll be able to download the songs on iTunes. THANK YOU to the writers, cast, and crew for this wonderful moment of television perfection!

22. Carrie says:

That was very clever, a lot of fun and oddly touching. Great episode!!

23. That cover of “Carry On My Wayward Son” was incredible. Those girls can sing! I loved the jokes about the gay subtext to the show and how Dean responded by simply looking into the camera as to say “Really?” Now that the writers and Dean remember he has another brother, how about getting Adam/Michael and Lucifer (a villian I sorely miss) out of the pit! The cameo by Chuck/God was great. I hope he decides to pop back up soon because we all need some answers.

24. Rick says:

Great episode. Touching, amusing.. and most importantly, respectful of all fans and their own interpretations of the show. Glad to see that coming from the writers – everyone is free to love the show in their own way. Thank you, Robbie! There’s so much good to say about the episode.. loved Chuck’s cameo (though I don’t think he’ll come back more than that), Dean’s reactions to everything, Sam’s theatre geek side coming out, Cas’s song (that girl was precious and a good stand in for our MIA angel), the little winks to the fans at every turn.. love it. When the show’s meta is good, it’s so very good.

25. Viv says:

What a great episode! I remembered why I love this show so much! And so, so meta. I love the meta episodes.

26. bltcubs says:

This episode was only ok to me for the first 50 minutes, but it became great with Carry On Wayward Son and Chuck at the end

27. I started to cry when they started singing Carry On My Wayward Son lol.

28. Tracy says:

Thank you to the amazing cast and crew of Supernatural for an incredible 200 episodes! And thank you to the CW for keeping this show on the air! Can’t wait for 200 more!

29. Raz says:

Loved Cas’s Waiting Song. Carry On was done beautifuly. They done good.

30. Kevin says:

Loved it. I hope Chuck’s appearance isn’t more than a one-off, but even if it is, I’m happy to see he’s still around.

31. B says:

I loved it!!! I cried and laughed

32. Rinnie says:

I was so afraid it was gonna be some silly episode to please fangirls and shippers but I actually loved it , it was EPIC. It was funny, and touching and a very nice celebration for the 200th episode of SPN. BRAVO ♥

33. Ari says:

This may honestly be my new favorite episode of Supernatural. It was such a love letter to the fans. It was a huge thank you for sticking by us. It was perfect. I can’t think of any way they could have improved this episode. I laughed, I cried, my heart had all the feels. 200 episodes in and I’m just as excited to see what comes next as I was on day 1.

34. Sandy says:

Really, really fun hour and a fitting salute to 200 episodes for this show. Love that we even got an ending “BM” moment with the Samulet, but it didn’t feel corny in the slightest. I especially liked how writer Robbie gave some of the fan elements a bit of teasing (Destial, etc.) and had Dean and Sam go from bewildered/horrified by some things to being accepting (maybe not approving, but accepting) of the fan’s visions at the end. And I’m really glad TVLine is following this show and giving it some love! 300, here we come!

35. CountryQueen says:

Thank you Supernatural for an amazing 200 episodes. This was so wonderful. Here’s my hopes from that final scene. Dean was jarred to hear Adam’s name, suddenly seemed so ashamed that they had forgotten him, their brother, their family. I’m hoping the show decides to try and rescue Adam. With the new “Samulet” and the appearance of Chuck at the end, my heart hopes. Hopefully Chuck showing means God is back!

36. Guest says:

CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :’)

37. justin kim says:

But does Marie believe that dean really is dean or is she just making fun of him???

38. Michele says:

I thought this episode was fantastic! I enjoyed all the nods to the past episodes and the fans. Robbie Thompson did an excellent job writing this episode – I loved the Rent references.

There were so many great moments. I especially loved the girls singing “Carry On Wayward Son”. The guys reactions to it were amazing and made me tear up. And it seemed almost more Jared and Jensen than Sam and Dean thinking back on the last 200 episodes.

I think one of the best things about being a fan of Supernatural is that everyone involved seems to love the show and these characters as much as the fans do.

39. Mr.J says:

Anybody knows an actress who played Marie?

40. Brigid says:

Amazing episode! I loved every minute of it and the Kansas song at the end was performed brilliantly. I felt very emotional watching it and I really liked the fact that no other characters were in it, it felt right some how that it just featured Jared and Jensen. Thank you for 10 years and 200 episodes of a show I still love to watch!!!

41. yaastiel says:

Holy Chuck and Kevin almighty. This episode was beyond amazing. All of the callbacks to certain moments in the show literally made me tear up (like every single one, wow, I’m a wimp.) The ship jokes were absolutely, insanely hilarious, and I almost died as soon as they started mentioning subtext. I agree wholeheartedly with the opinion that this is Sam and Dean’s episode. The entire show /is/ about the brothers and their journey, and their relationship.

Though, for anyone bashing on Castiel/Crowley fans… Yes, Sam and Dean are the main focus and I adore them, but shoving Cas and Crowley aside as “extras” isn’t quite fair. They’ve earned their spots in the limelight, and deserve it. Dusting them aside as “side characters isn’t what they deserve. But, I think we can all agree- even without the appearance of Castiel and/or Crowley, this episode was more than satisfying. In all honesty, this episode didn;t really need them. It was truly a “love letter to the fans,” and will remain as one of my favorites to date.

Thanks, Supernatural. For being a great show, for having wonderful actors, and for reminding us of what we came here for- two brothers, on the road, who would go to hell and back as many times possible for each-other, for two brothers, against the world. Thank you.

42. Daisy says:

This episode was AWESOME!!! :) <3
    And Chuck is back that is so cool I liked Chuck he was cool.
    And the ending to this episode with the scene of 'Carry on' and how it showed everyone like Bobby Cass and others was kind of sad, but still really cool.
    This episode was cool, awesome, sad, and funny.
    Wish Cass(Cass is my FAVORITE character) was in it but it was still cool.
    Chuck is back!!! :) Wonder what he will be doing this season.?
    Cant wait!!
    AWESOME episode! :) <3
    Good job everyone on set!

43. Katie says:

I thought the episode was fantastic. Didn’t quite understand why Cas wasn’t included in the song at the end, but otherwise, it was amazing. My question, though is, how is it that the same actress who played Cas also played Adam? The play apparently covered the scene where Cas throws the bomb thing at Adam/Michael. So. :-P

44. TheTrickster says:

Reading the description of the episode, I was like…”man this episode is going to suck. Just when they get back to the angels and demons, they get off task with this crap.”

The teacher came up missing, I was like boooooo.

Then when it went to the scene showing their parents and baby Sam in the crib, I was like…”oh that was cool right there.”

And from that point on, it has become one of my favorite episodes.

That Carry On My Wayward Son rendition was awesome. I almost shed man tear myself.

45. alfh says:

the episode was just too girlish with horrible music, the only good thing was chuck`s return and even this was just to say “not bad”? just a big disappointment

46. Didn’t actually believe this episode was going to hit me like it has — it was pretty moving

47. GeeMs says:

They need to rescue Adam, especially since “family “means so much.

48. NATASHA says:

I LOVED IT. I HOPE SUPERNATURAL NEVER ENDS MY HEART WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE IT!!!

49. Jennifer LUm says:

when i saw chuck( who i think is really God), my reaction was first “Chuck! OMG you’re alive!” Then it fell to “Chuck! I’m gunna kill you for letting my boys go through that!”

Carry on my wayward son was awesome

50. Lily says:

I just started watching SPN this season and have seen reruns lately and found this episode AWESOME. I remember seeing Chuck but doesnt have much feelings for him but I get the excitement. I don’t miss Castiel but when he’s in an episode he is just as fantastic as the brothers. I would like to see John back someday and Adam safe ( but necessaily traveling with Dean and Sam). I did get a lot of the references and how they are poking fun at them . I am surprised that I liked it because having a Supernatural musical as part of the plot is wierd..but not anymore.