The Voice Recap: Playoffs, Playa!

The Voice - Season 7

‘Tis the season to be jolly, Voice fans!

No, I am not advocating the early avalanche of holiday-themed advertising in early November — or throwing subtle shade over another season of NBC’s reality singing juggernaut without social-media dingbat Christina Milian in the “Sprint Skybox.”

I am, however, stoked that We the People (Who Spend Too Much Time Watching TV, Then Subsequently Downloading and Voting), are finally free of the history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these contestants.

(Did I actually quote the Declaration of Independence to express my ongoing rage over the elimination of Season 7 standouts Toia Jones, Troy Ritchie and Amanda Lee Peers? Of course I did!)

Putting it another way, the Season 7 Live Playoffs are in effect — and your votes, my votes, and your half-paying-attention mother-in-law’s votes will help propel deserving vocalists forward, regardless of coaches’ biases. Tonight, Teams Adam and Blake took the stage (while Tuesday will focus on Teams Gwen and Adam): On Wednesday, America’s votes will advance two members of every five-person team, with each coach then saving one of his or her at-risk artists — resulting in a Top 12.

We’ll have a better picture of how things are going to shake out as iTunes charts get updated overnight, but until then, let me offer my snap judgments about how the evening went down:

The Voice - Season 7TEAM BLAKE
Definitely, Righteously Advancing
Craig Wayne Boyd — “Some Kind of Wonderful” | Not the most exciting song choice ever, but by virtue of his swampy-soul stylings and remarkable grasp of pitch, Craig made it seem like it was written just for him. That final, growly “talkin’ ’bout my baby” made me hoot and holler like my couch was front row at a CWB concert, and even prevented my automated eye-roll from activating when Blake called it “the performance of the night.” This dude is having a moment — and the resultant confidence is muy appealing, no?

Probably Advancing (But Not Sure She Should)
Jessie Pitts — “Holding Out for a Hero” | Yes, she made it her own – but only by yanking the rug out from under Bonnie Tyler’s earworm chorus and then extracting the horse-gallop percussion of the damsel-in-distress anthem. Half the time, I couldn’t tell if Jessie was making bold (albeit displeasing) melodic choices or merely singing out of tune. But I will give her credit for dialing back on the twee phrasing and affected pronunciations that were hallmarks of her Battle and Knockout Rounds performances.

Would Be a Travesty if She Doesn’t Advance

Reagan James — “Try” | I’ll admit I was mighty impressed by the 15-year-old’s rehearsal package — and her clear grasp of how she wanted Colbie Caillat’s current smash staged and arranged. But even better was the way Reagan executed her specific vision, giving “Try” a more youthful, R&B undercurrent — and showcasing an understanding of dynamic ebb and flow that’s escaped many a female belter over the course of The Voice’s seven seasons. Yeah, there were a couple of hinky notes sprinkled here and there, but if The Voice wants a winner with honest-to-Clarkson pop-star potential, Reagan could be the one.

Rapidly Losing Steam
James David Carter — “Two of a Kind, Workin’ on a Full House” | As if his golly-gee-willikers facial expressions weren’t enough to rob his performance of any sense of authenticity — anyone notice how Gwen, in what could’ve only been a case of brilliant reverse psychology, insisted James David wasn’t “cheesy professional”? — the former front-runner also failed to back up his Garth Brooks cover with any kind of originality or fire. By the time he got into a kinda-kidding, but not-really-kidding-at-all squabble with Adam over wanting to be called “James David” rather than just plain James, you could practically feel half his fan base abandon him for teammate Craig.

The “It Was Fun While It Lasted!” Award
Taylor Brashears — “Long Time Gone” | Taylor definitely has a knack for infusing her personality into her performances, but too often tonight, the fleet pacing of the Dixie Chicks’ number left her winded and behind the beat. Alas, methinks she’ll be a “Long Time Gone” from The Voice stage by week’s end.

The Voice - Season 7TEAM ADAM
Definitely, Righteously Advancing
Matt McAndrew — “God Only Knows”
I wasn’t a huge fan of Matt’s Blind Audition (or his followup performances, for that matter), but tonight, with a brilliant, beautiful song choice beneath his wings, dude positively soared — delivering a vocal that spilled over with warmth and emotion. Sure, his stage presence needs work: I thought he looked super stiff sitting on the bench — ’til he stood up and began his “conducting an orchestra” arm movements, which were even more stilted. But I suspect that’ll come with time. And given the momentum he’ll get from “God Only Knows,” he’s bought himself at least 2-3 weeks of hands-on Adam mentoring.

Probably Advancing (But Not Sure He Should)
Damien — “I’m Not the Only One”
I wouldn’t have been shocked if Damien popped a couple buttons on his shirt while belting Sam Smith’s been-done-wrong anthem — given the amount of vocal horsepower he put behind it. But while the performance was note-perfect and powerful, it left me slightly cold… making me feel as though the uni–monikered TSA agent was more focused on showing off his range than in bringing to life the lyrics. But the coaches and studio audience went bananas, so perhaps my soul was off taking a snack break during the performance? Please feel free to discuss below!

Would Be a Travesty if He Doesn’t Advance
Chris Jamison — “Don’t”
Does Adam hate Chris? If not, then why’d he give him a sing-speaky Ed Sheeran ditty that not only provides slim opportunity to show off one’s vocal range, but also features a rap-like bridge that would leave even the most gifted vocalist gasping like a gourami in a Dixie cup? Whatever the case, Chris delivered a show-stopping final refrain that earned copious praise from Gwen and Pharrell, but whether that’ll be enough to propel him into the Top 12 is a Mysteries of Laura-level situation.

Rapidly Losing Steam
Taylor Phelan — “Cool Kids”
I luvvvvvvved Taylor’s Blind Audition, but tonight’s “Cool Kids” seemed like a faded Xerox of his one-time glory — more than a few notes trembled like my limbs after a kickboxing class, and somehow the whole performance felt a little small for the stage. Adam’s alreay got Matt blowing up Twitter, so if Taylor needs his coach’s intervention to advance to the Top 12, he could be in trouble.

Prediction: Impossible
Mia Pfirrman — “Young and Beautiful”
Most of what came out of Mia’s mouth sounded fairly solid — it’s just that her “high-school musical understudy” facial expressions added an unwelcome patina of the inauthentic to the proceedings. Adam, however, seemed completely delighted with Mia’s ability to take direction, so perhaps she’ll be his “No. 3” draft choice? (I can never really tell what that Levine dude has on his brain, if I’m being honest!)

OK, your turn. What did you think of Night 1 of the Season 7 Live Playoffs? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Jeff Marley says:

Matt, Reagan, Jessie, and Taylor really shined!!! 😃😃😃 Can’t wait for tomorrow night!!! Rooting for DaNica, Anita, Luke, and Ricky!!! 😃😃😃

2. Gailer says:

I grew up on the beach boys…no
    My fave was chris

• JM says:

I love the Beach Boys, but honestly, I think that song is overrated. There are many other BB songs that I love more.

• bobsaccamanna says:

It’s a great song for multiple harmonizing voices, not so great solo, I thought he was way overpraised last night.

• Tom22 says:

Good point on the harmonizing being core to that song. Also, petty as my distraction might be, I really can’t deal with the neck tattoos. Trying too hard to be different or insecure(poser? I just don’t see/hear that sort of rebel) or just poor taste on beauty of the human body? IDK but any or all of that can reflect subtly in his music
          … who said that on the coaches panel ? Personality shapes the sound and message is something I’ve said over and over again here and it made me tingly hearing them say that. I know it’s not anything that hasn’t been said before but I’m really enjoying these shows talking more about those things and more about pocket and groove etc.. Maybe they can demonstrate the difference of groove and not in practice sessions because I’m not sure all the viewers really understand the words just like the supposedly experienced Jenifer Meuse didn’t come across as appreciating or using.

• Scout says:

Geez. He murderized that song. I agree… no.

3. Kaba says:

Reagan, Matt, Taylor P, Chris, Craig.
    Those are the people I’m voting for.
    The rest (sans Jessie) can disappear cause God…seriously..God.
    I give Chris a pass cause Adam gave him that awfully difficult RAP.
    That’s not a song, Sheeran is literally rapping a mouthful, what an idiotic song choice for Chris.
    That Mia girl is just euchk sounding
    Damien…um…okay
    Taylor Brashears…sorry you went first LOL.
    JDC needs to disappear please.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I had a love-hate relationship with Reagan up until this point, but it turned into more of a hate-hate relationship tonight. That was some spectacularly ugly singing tonight.
      Matt I don’t get. It’s so unremarkable and so forgettable but people seem to dig him for whatever reason. [shrug]
      Taylor P and Craig I’m 100% on board with you.

• Kaba says:

Wow..I definitely commented..whatever.
        Anyways, I rewatched Reagan. Kay…I might be on your side. Her voice sounds so…brittle? It sounds like there’s a severe lack of air consistency when she sings a note for more than even a second.
        Tbh I’m not that much of a Matt fan, but I can’t bring myself to vote for Mia or Damien, actually I want them both gone.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m actually voting for no one. :( There were a few tonight I thought were ok like Taylor P and Craig and Damien (yes, I liked Damien, but he’s a bit of a poor man’s Delvin Choice), but I don’t feel strongly enough to vote for any of them.
          If there was a number to subtract votes for Jessie Pitts and Taylor Brashear, I’d anti-vote for those in a heartbeat. Those 2 were painful.
          I have a feeling tomorrow will be much better.

• Kaba says:

Well…at least someone liked Damien. I can’t do it. He bores me to no end. Did you see how hard Adam was trying to hype him up? Damn.
            Taylor P and Craig were my top 2 of the night, though I see more greatness in them.
            Brashears hurt…that was sad. Watching her pull a Bria Kelly with a fiddle was sad.
            Jessie…tbh I want Blakes top 3 to be Reagan, Jessie, and Craig because JDC and Taylor are so bleh

• analythinker says:

Hahaha, subtract votes… now THAT’s an idea I’ll jump into.

• QC Carson says:

Speaking of tomorrow, I can’t wait for Luke Wade and Danica! //_^)

• Tom22 says:

I really like Damien and I’ve really disliked quite a few of the R&B male singers on the voice (well I liked Nicholas David.. not everyone might think of him right away mentioning R&B). Something about Damiens connection to the songs in what feels like a restrained way (to me, differing entirely with MS on that point) and emotions that paint a complexity instead of a single emotion really impress me.
            As for Chris’s song being a rap.. well sort of abut all music today has a heavy hip hop influence and if you can’t spit the lyrics you’re not singing.. just going la did da daaah. A voice is an instrument and it’s got to be able to play staccato triplets as well as slurred triplets.. and it’s gotta understand things like syncopation etc..
            And I don’t think that sort of rhytmic feel is confined to rap. Sinatra and the rat pack relied very heavily on rhythm too… as did show tunes … think of liza minelli’s in “Caberet”. There was just a period where many fans hear got unaccustomed to lyrical interpretation that really had to “groove” .. Jeeze.. a few contestants on Idol last season had no concept at all what a “groove” or a “pocket” was.

• JM says:

Hmmm. I honestly thought Mia and Damien sang better than Reagan. Really felt sorry for Taylor B. going first. She’s much better than that performance she gave. 100% agree about the song choice for Chris. However, he did really well for the first 2/3 of the song so I gotta give him props for that.

• The Beach says:

I so agree. Someone should slap Adam upside the head for sticking Chris with that unsingable song. Even so, I thought he had better stage presence than most.

• Timmah says:

You make a good point. I may have been too harsh in my critique of Chris based on that awful rap. Adam is totally clueless when it comes to song choices and coaching. The only way he ever wins is when he starts with a polished performer.

• Tom22 says:

I found this the best talent of any of these singing shows.. non dum diva.. well only one. The R and B singers weren’t sweating and singing in snakes or whatever. All about rhytym and groove for all the singers.

It was a great night.. not sure why people who like ballads even watch these shows anymore… Lorde is the music of today.. Pharrel is the music of today.. and guess Adam and Blake still do ok : ).

These shows should reflect today.. if people don’t like todays music they should change the channel maybe ? (ok that was a little snarky on my part.. add a wink or two please even if I feel a grain of truth to it.)

• bobsaccamanna says:

I was thinking the same thing as Chris struggled through that song, yet another ego fueled idiotic song choice from Adam. I’m not a huge Chris fan anyhow but my god, that song was not anywhere near his comfort zone and you could tell he knew it in rehearsal. And sorry Angie, you know I love your comments but I completely disagree on Reagan, I love everything about her, the show needs a singer like her to stick around or I will lose interest because singers like Damien, who may be technically perfect( not my field of expertise) leave me cold. On a completely side note though, wondering if you are a Sara Bareilles fan Angie, just yesterday I came upon her cover of Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”..my god one of the best covers I have ever heard, she seems to have the type of vocal chops that you love, am I right?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Can’t agree with you on Reagan. I was intrigued and didn’t know what to make of her until last night, when I realized I simply don’t like what she has to offer. It was spastic, out of control, weird, poorly executed, and all around bad. That performance left a very sour taste in my mouth unfortunately.
        Bareilles is cool. Not my cup of tea and not the strongest voice, but I appreciate that she’s doing her own thing. I like seeing people like her succeed. Just listened to her EJ cover. I like! She’s the 2014 version of Joan Baez.

• Jill Moy says:

And what’s wrong with Joan?…PAAAAALEEEEEZE!

• Angie_Overrated says:

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. I said “she’s the 2014 version of Joan Baez” right after I said “I like [the Elton John cover]!” Wouldn’t it naturally follow that I probably also like Joan Baez?

• Jill, where have you been? Hope everything is ok! I had to comment back to you on my own reply because there wasnt one below your post, so I dont know if you got my message back last time, but look below here a ways on this page, and you will see what I mean! I have been glued to the tv over the Ferguson protests! Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you are doing well!

4. analythinker says:

I don’t know… I don’t like Reagan very much tonight. But Craig, despite cringing at the song choice because Blake had used it before (even for a battle), he nailed that. Also, there’s something about Matt’s performance… can’t quite put my finger on it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed on 2/3! Craig is emerging as Blake’s front runner. This non-country fan is digging him!
      Matt… ugh. I JUST DON’T GET IT! I’ve heard that voice a million times before. It was not impressive the first 999,999 times I’ve heard it, and it’s not impressive now. It’s just so… ordinary. Nondescript. Pedestrian. Forgettable. The opposite of indelible (delible? is that a word? English isn’t my first language lol).

• analythinker says:

And yet…. Matt is topping the iTunes chart for now. Like I said, can’t quite put my finger on it. He/his voice IS ordinary, nothing special, but somehow I’m a bit captivated (although not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet).
        (Psst, English is not my first language as well, but I’ve never heard delible, lol)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup, I know people love him. Doesn’t change the fact that I don’t understand how or why. I don’t understand how Taylor Swift sold so many albums in a week either, but hey, it happened.
          Where are you from? Austrian here, but I’m pretty much a full-fledged American at this point.

• analythinker says:

Right. Universal appeal isn’t always applicable (Taylor John Williams… *cough*). I’m Indonesian :)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh nice! I was in Jakarta a few years ago right after the bombing of that hotel. Everyone told me not to go because of safety concerns and I ended up having the time of my life. Love your country.

• analythinker says:

Oh wow, cool! And how brave of you! Now to cross Austria from my bucket list…

• Adake says:

Matt is really good and I think he is going far in this competition. He has that “it” factor and you’re drawn into his performances

• Angie_Overrated says:

If you say so? Obviously the majority agrees with you, but I’m a proud torch bearer for the minority party here.

• kevin says:

I agree with Angie. Maybe because that song is so straight forward and boring, like Wonder Bread, is the reason it’s getting love on ITunes.

• Stephanie says:

My thoughts exactly! I’m not a fan of country music either, and I agree that Craig is fantastic and is only getting better every week. He’s got my votes! If he keeps it up (and I hope he does!) he should go far in the competition. And I don’t get Matt — haven’t liked any of his performances. I thought Ethan should have won their battle. Oh well.

• I also am not a country fan and think Craig is the best right now. If he doesnt make the final 3 I will be very upset. When do they pick the final 3, Wed?

• Jill Moy says:

HEY BECCA,

Still don’t watch but caughtSOME KINDA WONDERFUL! I still say he is the best and have from the first time I heard him! I haven’t heard many on the show but I don’t need to. This guy is great! Hope he wins.

Good to see you out here. Where’s MJ?

• Hi Jill, Yes craig is doing great and I think he will be one of the front runners! Some Kinda Wonderful was great! But some of the Inde artists are taking classic songs and singing them so that I cant even recognize it as the original. Horrible. Someone completely ruined a Bonnie Tyler classic! Well AI is around the corner and I know I will be seeing you on the AI comments site! Good to hear from you! Always!

• The Beach says:

As is no surprise, I once again agree with your post. Craig is knocking it out of the park and really should send Gwen some flowers for that make-over. He looks 10x hotter and I’m sure that didn’t hurt him in the voting.

Matt’s voice to me is just unremarkable. As you said, I’ve heard it so many times and his hand and arm movements I found really distracting.

5. ke says:

A variety of solid performances tonight. Adam and Blake overall made good song choices for their contestants. Hoping the top three from Team Adam are: – Matt, Taylor and Mia although Damien gave a terrific performance. For Team Blake, James David, Craig Wayne and Reagen would be my top three. Looking forward to Team Gwen and Team Pharrell tomorrow.

6. Kim Moores says:

Mia, Taylor B, JDC all sucked.
    And all i have to say about Damien’s performance is what I said earlier:
    This song went from Sam Smith to Jennifer Holliday in one long “OOOOOOOOOOOAWWWUUNAWUNAWUNAWUUUUUUNNNNNE”

7. I call sacrilege on your Taylor P prediction! Only song I bought all night :)

8. Kaba says:

Well, Anyways.
    I hope tomorrows top 3 are:
    Pharrell- Luke, Jean, (insert anyone but DaNica)
    Gwen- Ricky, Bryana, Anita

• Christian says:

I actually really like Danica! Other than that I agree 100% w/ your Gwen predictions. Anita & Bryana are my favs. Ricky will probably be my third choice, but TJW is soooo popular (which I don’t get since I can’t stand his voice)

• Jeff Marley says:

I agree with you christian, DaNica has been really impressive lately, and if she can pull it off again, she could be a dark horse or even a frontrunner

• Kaba says:

Everyone loves her. All I hear is a nice voice trapped inside an old-fashioned sounding artist with the look to back it up. It doesn’t help that her idea of creativity is 10,000 runs imo.
        Just not interested in her.
        Tbh I expect TJW to progress so I just want Ricky and Bryana at the least.

• Christian says:

I see what ur saying Kaba. Danica isn’t the most current artist, but her voice is usually flawless.

• Jeff Marley says:

I agree, I believe that pharrel will give her a current song and smash the whole competition!!!

• Kaba says:

I get the appeal of her voice, but that’s it for me.
            Personally I’ll be hoping for her to not make it into the top 12 because I think she won’t provide any potential for an impressive performance along with the fact that I think she’ll be rather DOA in the top 12. She’ll be 1/2 leaving if she progresses to next week.

• JM says:

I like Danica, but I agree she needs a makeover and a current song. Don’t even get me started on TJW–still miss Troy.

• analythinker says:

I second the TJW sentiment!

9. Sue B says:

Some Kind of Wonderful–performance of the night

10. NotVirgin Mary says:

I wish Reagan didn’t try to belt today. She gets so out of breath after she belts. It would’ve been so much better if she just used her head voice instead. Her style of breathy singing takes the salt right out of you so belting on top of that… ugh. I hope she comes back with a better performance next week.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I said it last week and I’ll say it again now: Bjork. Bjork belting = Reagan belting = cover your ears, people, cuz it’s gettin’ ugly in here tonight!
      Full disclosure I love Bjork, but certainly no thanks to her vocal prowess.

• John Anthony says:

Hi Angie! First time I replied to you this season. I listened to tonight’s performances and I didn’t hear one that cried out winner. We exchanged our picks before and I ended up with the right winner but I respected your pick as well. Do you have a performer in this season’s group you think might win or are you still waiting as I am to hear more before picking a favorite?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t really have a pick this season. There are a few who are not bad, but this is the first season I’ve seen where not a single contestant was jumping out at me as being amazing. Far too much mediocrity for my tastes, and it’s sad that this runs back-to-back with Idol’s worst season ever. I hope the days of these shows aren’t over, because I really do enjoy them when they’re good.
          Who’s jumping out at you? I suppose if you stuck a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I’d say Craig and Jean Kelly.

• John Anthony says:

I think along your lines Angie. The shows have not had that WOW performer lately and that goes for the last several winners on all three shows. If I had that same gun to my head I would lean a little towards Reagan James but I’m not much of an R & B person. I do think that if Reagan or any performer has the God given ability to perform far beyond their age go for it. The song choices are really bothering me too. It’s like all the coaches are afraid to tap the big hits over the past years. Have you watched any of the UK shows? They have produced a lot more stars than the shows over here and I think it may be because their contestants take on big hits all the time. When you hear iconic hits performed judging talent is a lot easier, at least for me. What do you think?

11. JM says:

Before I read any comments, I just want to say how unfair it is that Adam has all these great singers, and Blake only has one (CWB). Wish I could move two of Adams members to Blake’s team. Every time it seems Adam has more than his share of good singers and unfairly one or more good ones goes home. (Sigh).

12. Davey says:

Worried for Taylor P. Sending my votes to him.

13. Pat says:

Taylor Phelan should advance over Matt McAndrew and Chris Jamison, Slezak!

14. Tina L-H says:

Thank god Blake has woken up and put Craig back in his lineup!
    Now if he would just allow him to do a Bob Seger song!!! STOP the madness Blake and allow this man to soar!

15. Carola says:

Go Matt! He was my favorite along with Regan and Craig.

16. Ana Andrade says:

My top 3
    Team Adam: Taylor, Chris, and Matt
    Team Blake: Craig, Reagan, and Jessie

17. Scout says:

I thought Taylor and Damien nailed it tonight. I am not even a Damien fan, but I like how performs like this is his last, last LAST chance to make it happen. The rest of Adam’s team? Forgettable. I can’t stand that Beach Boys dude. That hurt my ears. Michael, how dareth you speak blasphemy against my Taylor? That’s naughty. For Team Blake, I like Reagan (even though I think she is limited) and Craig is my man-candy (who can actually sing). Go figure. I need Craig to stay for like… forever.

18. Scout says:

Oh, and what’s up with that James David dude correcting Adam (not that I’m defending Adam, ew). He’s lucky we can remember one of his names. Yeesh. It was not cute. I’m just sayin’.

19. kevin says:

Waiting for someone to sing Latch and Take Me to Church.

• Kaba says:

I honestly seem either Ricky Manning or Luke singing Latch tomorrow.
      Imma have the worlds highest expectation on Latch though, acoustic or not.

20. Larry Dunham says:

Real Talent and is a Great real Person I have Multiple Sclerosis he is the first celebrity to reply to me Personally Please support him we need more people like him as inspirations.

21. HTGR says:

I’m way behind. Things HAD been going well. Then somehow Allesandra did not even make lives?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has one of the most insane and smoothest and yet unique voices ever, utterly effortless (although she took the advice and made it seem like more effort for more wow factor).
    WTH!
    That may be the single most absurd thing that has ever happened on any of these singing shows in any season ever…. and that is saying beyond a lot!
    As well as everything else was going, that alone made the show lose 100% of all credibility right there for all-time.
    I don’t even know where to begin on how wrong that was.
    Anyway, I’m only to that point in the show this season. Grrrrr. Everyone was so good it was going to be a horror free season as you could argue around this way and that over everyone and nothing could be too horrific as everyone was at the least doing extremely well who made it through. AND THEN ANOTHER TEAM ADAM HORROR. But the worst of all. (not that Mia was not very good, she deserved lives for sure but…..) Blake not saving her and Gwen not even thinking of saving her was beyond the pale. I guess Blake maybe saw her as too much of a threat to those on his team he was already attached to, but man, come on! Too bad Pharrell had not a save left. Worst horror in the history of these shows. Absurd. Jumped the shark.

• Tom22 says:

I really think there must be more to the story about Alessandra. Some matter that was more about nitty-gritty of things like agents communications with show producers or something. But then again it could really be personal taste differences.
      It might be a little easier for me to assume that it was something else other than injustice because I didn’t really find what people have linked of her singing so personally special.(to my ear her signing was all a bit rhythmically mushy in ways that say, Barbra Streisand nor Beyonce would be rhythmically mushy) Obviously many people love her voice and I assume love her phrasing in ways I don’t hear as much so I feel bad for you losing someone you were interested in watching.

22. HTGR says:

But ignoring the Allesandra being sent home worst most jumped the shark horror in the history of these shows thing….
    Until then, the rounds had been really impressive. Easily the most impressive of any season, just amazing performance after performance and so many going home who could have made many a show’s top 12. The entire battle rounds practically everyone was really good other than, out of the entire thing, maybe 2 or 3 and even they were plenty decent enough.
    Pharrell is definitely awesome. Knows his stuff. And he is a great teacher too. He seems like a natural.
    Taylor Swift was giving a lot of point on advice. Saying nothing when nothing was needed and saying just the right thing when needed. She knows the music game. People don’t give her enough credit. She knows her stuff and gives intelligent advice and quickly gets right to the necessary point like a laser guided missile every time.
    Anyway can’t comment on tonight, still a few episodes behind. After the absurd Allesandra dumping it was hard to get motivated to catch up the rest on DVR (as fantastically as everything else aside from that had been going, man lot of talent, almost every battle loser from the start was more than fine. Pharrell has been great. And Taylor too.)

23. Derrick says:

I honestly felt that it was a lackluster night tonight. People sang well but there was nothing that stood out.

• John Anthony says:

Derrick, you echoed my thoughts on tonight’s performances perfectly. I usually pick out a favorite by now but Reagan took a step backwards and the others failed to take clear advantage for sure. Wednesday will be very interesting when we see how they stand. I’m still leaning towards Reagan if she forgets Gwen’s act like a fifteen year old advice and uses her God given ability to perform like someone much older. If not I think she will lose.

• Sharon says:

I agree with you, Derrick. For me, the main problem was song choice. Most coach-chosen songs gave the performers too little to work with in terms of showcasing range or offering big moments. On the other hand, live-performance nerves showed up vocal weaknesses. Unfortunately, 40% won’t have a chance to recover from that problem.

• Tom22 says:

I really think it comes down to whether people want a show that shows skills singing big diva like ballads or whether people want a show that often hightlights ability to sing popular styles today which have a more hip hop influence even for things like country-pop…. you can’t “unhear’ things and even things like ‘metal” influenced performers in other genres in a way not quite, but similar to old blues of Robert Johnson influenced the birth of country music and the standard rock riffs decades later etc.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You can be an amazing singer who doesn’t necessarily sing ballads. Not sure I agree with your point here. Just cuz one is not singing a ballad does not give that person a free pass to not know how to sing. Theoretically speaking, the ones who nail a ballad should be able to nail most types of songs

24. Davey says:

People seem a bit down on tonight but no one was completely awful. I voted for Taylor, Craig, and Matt.
    Damien was OK but he has zero charisma. And talking about a Sam Smith song in terms of someone’s wife?

25. polarvortex says:

I can’t believe I’m actually rooting for Craig! Country music really isn’t my thing but I love his gruff tone!And I hope Blake keeps him on the rock country path and doesn’t have him doing songs by U2 or or some stupid rap song ( Ooops sorry, that’s Adams job :) )

26. kevin says:

When Blake said she was doing Holding Out for a Hero, I thought Uh oh, Oh, no, but she turned it around. This is the kind of performance that is memorable, whether you liked it or not, the kind that gets VOTES. Plus, Taylor Breshears was AWFUL! Nice knowing ya. Goodbye.

27. Timmah says:

Here’s how I rank them through the first half:

Matt – not bad. Which for this group is pretty good.
    Jessie – I like her but she seems like a cheap knock-off of one of those Carolines from previous seasons.
    James – boring as cottage cheese, but I have a feeling he’s going to win.
    Chris – reminds me of that clown from the first season of X-Factor. Not my thing.
    Taylor – whatever personality she has isn’t coming through in the performances.

As a group they get a D, but only because everyone showed up.

• Timmah says:

Second-half rankings:
      Reagan – best of the night. she’s already a star.
      Damien – I hadn’t paid much attention to this guy before, but I really dug this performance. second best of the night.
      Craig – probably would have liked this more, but I can’t stand the twang in his voice
      Taylor P – says his music idol is Adam Levine, and unfortunately it shows.
      Mia – terrible match of singer/song choice (typical Adam coaching iow)
      Second half much better, but I fear this season is not going to be anything to write home about.

28. cynthia archuleta says:

best ever on the voiceAdam team Damien I’ve been watching it since it startedand I’ve never heard somebody sing like him and I’m 66 years old he goes straight to your heart

29. John Anthony says:

I think Blake and Reagan should tell Gwen to go back to the 80’s. The worst advice I ever heard was for Reagan to perform like she’s fifteen. Reagan has the special ability to perform like a seasoned artist and she should use that God given ability every performance or she’ll lose! Reagan, get sassy, perform with as much maturity as you ability allows and WOW us again! Go back and be the Reagan you were in your last two performances. Give Gwen the sneakers and sweat pants if she wants them! If I want to vote for a fifteen year old who’s performing like one I’ll watch an amateur contest at a high school.

30. Jeffrey Gross says:

James David carter really rocked. Do not know why people are not voting for him. He is the consummate country performer.

31. Jeffrey Gross says:

James Taylor carter reality rocked. Cannot understand why people are not voting for him. He is the consumate country western performer. Would see his show in a heartbeat.

32. Evan says:

One word about tonight’s episode: OOF.

I didn’t enjoy a single performance. Well, not that I didn’t “enjoy”…I just wasn’t impressed. Wow. Man, Gwen and Pharrell’s teams better step it up tomorrow.

33. Caitlyn says:

Perhaps I care less about things like breath control, etc … I thought Reagan was really good tonight. I agree with Michael, it would be a travesty if she didn’t advance after Blake gave her a song that was about as poorly suited to her as it could possibly be. I would probably go with her, Craig and Jessie on Blake’s team. Adam’s team, about the only one that caught my eye was Matt.

34. j says:

Unbelievable how bad most all of the song choices were!

• John Anthony says:

I thought I was missing something but I agree completely with you J. Why are these judges so afraid of the iconic songs. They are looking for the next super star and a super star should be capable of attacking any set of lyrics and music no matter the success of the tune. I watched some of the UK shows and they attack the iconic songs all the time. Maybe that’s why the shows over there are producing more stars than ours. You can judge a performer’s talent when they go for it. Have you listened to Lucie Jones, Aliki, or Susan Boyle, Matt Cardle? They all performed iconic hits and are stars today. I say go for it.

35. Sara says:

I was actually not a fan of Matt’s “God Only Knows.” What makes that song so beautiful are the harmonies. It just doesn’t sound right with just one person. It fell flat to me because of that fact. I have liked Matt since the beginning, but he did not get any of my votes tonight.

36. Angela says:

Tonight was amazing, really tough choice. Love Craig Wayne B. and Taylor B.

37. Mia is 121 now on ITunes and is the only song I bought. She isn’t popular but her voice gives me chills. (This is “The Voice” right?

38. MC says:

I generally agree with the assessments of MS tonight. I love his point about “dynamic ebb and flow.” Sometimes the music industry (and fans of these shows) are obsessed with belting instead of telling a story and relating believable and strong emotions through a beautiful melody. It’s sometimes possible for a gifted singer to do both, but awesome belting does not necessarily equal an awesome interpretation of the music or a genuinely sincere conveyance of emotion.

I would send home James David and Taylor B. (who was extremely nervous despite the comments tonight), but it’s more likely that Jessie and Taylor B. will go home from Blake’s team. I would send home Mia and Damien from Team Adam, but it could be Mia and Chris going home. Chris had the most challenging assignment of the night. Craig had the best performance tonight (have to agree with Blake there). You can’t take these shows too seriously when someone like Craig has been passed around like a hot potato so far.

39. Tom22 says:

I thought they were all terrific and can’t believe that perfomances of this quality are going to have people sent home.

Really they’ve raised the bar for singing shows.. that might be why idol is looking so tired in terms of singing talent displayed… semi pro’s and young people who may have contractural obligations are allowed to sing on the Voice….
    …. its great that Idol is getting stuck by the workers rights movement. haha… 19 entertainment.. can’t own a person.. make money on the show and let the winners keep the money for themselves.

40. Koolkatz says:

I liked Matt, though not a huge lover of that song. Liked how Pharrell helped him pimp his music. Interestingly, he doesn’t wear his glasses on the sight. Hmm.
    I liked Regan also, but I liked the style of the song.
    CWB also got my votes. Yes, Seeger would suit him.
    I didn’t care too much for Jessie’s interpetation either, a cheap Carolines imitation indeed.
    I wasn’t impressed with some of the choices for songs sang tonight, so wouldn’t say some of the singers were bad, just not their best songs???

41. So glad to read how Michael came around on Matt. I thought he had far and away the performance of the night. I had wondered before if it was Matt’s song choices and musical style Michael doesn’t dig. Matt’s voice is open (or as Adam said, airy), honest, plaintive and emotive. Disagree with comments above about it being ordinary or not distinctive. I would recognize it in an instant. I wish we could put through 4 of Adam’s team members, trade in at least one of Blake’s. Kind of unfair when Team Adam did so well.

I do love James’ Garth song choice , used to listen to it all of the time. I’m not even a big country fan. It would be a shame if he didn’t go through. His performance skills could use bettering. I’m hoping Matt, Damien, Taylor P., James David and Craig go through. Wish I could trade Mia for Taylor B. or Jessie.

42. Ginger Snao says:

The only performance I liked was Craig Wayne Boyd’s Some Kinda Wonderful. Everything else was just meh to awful.

43. John says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I was downright uncomfortable watching Matt sing. Great voice, but cringe-worthy performance.

44. Tony says:

I’d add Menlik Zergabachew to the short list of the tyrannically removed. Miss him! Would have loved to have heard him put a reggae spin on pop music! I normally love Rragan but didn’t feel her last night. Faves are Matt, Craig, Damien. Normally love Chris but what an odd song choice! Can’t stand Jessie. She is so affected!

45. Tony says:

I miss Menlik Zergabachew! Loved Matt and Craig! But give Craig something current next time!

46. alice bilyeu says:

Craig was baddddd!!!!!!

47. Darryl5657 says:

Taylor Breshears is true conventional country singer. She has good vocal skills but I believe that she is out of her element when the time arrives to try a different genre. I doubt that she will have worry about that however. There was just too much last night for her to move on.

• Tom22 says:

I’m afraid you’re right. I was really rooting for her too as I like her personality and she’s a very good singer. There were too many very good singers and performances on Blake’s team last night and I don’t think she’ll make the cut either. Two good performers need to be cut on his team. Her song was current and something she should need to do if she’s going to have a shot in her segment of the music business as is popular today. She would have shown more on another Patsy Cline song but maybe that wouldn’t be enough either … Blake gave them all his contestants relatively fast tempo songs didn’t he ? (I’m implying she didn’t get too short of a shake being assigned one)

48. Timmah says:

I think it’s obvious who will be advancing on Blake’s team — Craig, James and Reagan, unless something really weird happens with the voting. Adam’s team is a tougher call. I’d guess Matt, Damien and Taylor, but Chris could possibly sneak in there.

49. Lloyd says:

Once again, my comment isn’t being shown, and I can’t repost it, because it says it’s a duplicate. Ughhhhh…

50. Peggy Neely says:

my pick of the night was Damien