Post Mortems

Castle Post Mortem: Stana Katic Talks Wedded Twists, 'Dress' No. 3 and More

Castle WeddingWarning: Regardless of which universe you live in, the following contains spoilers from this Monday’s episode of ABC’s Castle.

When all was said and done, Richard Castle and Katherine Beckett (played by Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic) said “I do” without anything remotely resembling ado, returning to the Hamptons — with a streamlined wedding party in tow — to exchange meaningful, individualized vows.

Sure, before we got to the rings and “perfect” first dance, there was the matter of an unconscious Rick navigating an “alternate” reality in which he and Kate had never met (and where Martha was a theater doyenne about to revive Mame), forcing him to earn anew the trust of those at the 12th — baby daddy (?) Esposito and sad singleton Ryan included! — and eventually find his way “home.” But hey, every wedding day has some drama.

To mark the momentous occasion, TVLine sat down with Stana Katic for an in-depth survey of the marrieds’ bumpy road to the altar and the big day itself, and much more; Part 1 of that Q&A follows.

TVLINE | What were your initial thoughts when you discovered that Kate and Rick’s original wedding day would literally driven off the road by a big twist?
It was a surprise. I just kind of thought, “Oh my gosh, where are they going to go after this?” I didn’t know how they were going to pick up the next season. But I’ve worked with [these writers and producers] for long enough, I’m kind of glad that they’re willing to risk a bit, you know?

TVLINE | As someone whose character’s backstory has been so well serviced over the years — and as a viewer of the show – were you interested to see Rick thrown into his own big juicy mystery?
Well, I think that’s the theme of this season — the show is focusing on Richard Castle. And I think the specific focus of this season is what happened to him during those two months, but also what happened to him that inspired him to become the novelist that he is. I think they wanted to re-mythologize the story, and each of the characters deserves it — especially [Rick] because for so long he just seemed like the “Nothing is ever wrong or bad” guy. It’s nice because it’ll give that character and Nathan an opportunity to add some layers to it. I’m looking forward to seeing what they end up doing with it. It’ll be fun.

TVLINE | Well in those first couple SEAMUS DEVER, JON HUERTAS, STANA KATICepisodes of the season, as precious few details about Rick’s vanishing trickled out, some felt that Beckett was perhaps just this side of being too skeptical, too suspicious of Rick. You know, “How could anybody believe that he was complicit in such a thing?” How do you rationalize her point of view?
Yeah…. I think what we did was we had to justify how all of the evidence is pointing towards him choosing not to make it to that wedding day, and she’s the character who has been taught by Captain Montgomery back in the day to follow the evidence – yet in spite of that, she has chosen to believe in him. But that’s a choice. The evidence doesn’t point to it yet, and finally it did in one of the later episodes — when the [self-made] video comes up and she sees that he actually didn’t want to go down that road and wanted to be there for her.

In the beginning of the season, I think what we tried to do was we tried to pattern out where the character was at because we were following her looking for him, and the first thing is that there’s a fear that he’s hurt, there’s a fear that he needs her help, there’s — God forbid — the worst fear, that he’s not alive. And as she discovers that he’s still alive, that he wasn’t hurt any longer, they found him, the fear becomes that he chose not to be there at the wedding. And he’s a guy who’s had a history of, you know, a number of different relationships, and I think in order to be true to the character you have to wonder if that was the case. But the difference is that this is a mature relationship, they’ve gone through so much, and in spite of the evidence she chose to believe him.

TVLINE | So, with all of that said…. The alternate reality episode was so much fun, and oftentimes extremely clever. Was it fun for you guys to shoot?
Yeah, it was. It was neat to kind of explore what the characters would mean to each other if Castle and Beckett never met. Even what the precinct would have been like. You know, all of the detail that we were trying to go after didn’t quite make it to the screen, but that’s OK. You only have so much time to show what we did.

TVLINE | Is there one example you could give?
Just the nuances that the characters were creating. Like, Jon [Huertas] and Seamus [Dever] did a really phenomenal job of developing the relationship with my character and between [Esposito and Ryan]. There were some moments that they had that were spectacular that I loved watching and being a part of and playing opposite of. So, there were no big scenes or anything that got dropped, just those truly wonderful little moments that we didn’t get to sit in for a little bit, because [an episode] is 42 minutes in the end.

TVLINE | Did you feel any Season 1 “déjà vu” in the scenes where Beckett doesn’t really know this Richard Castle guy?
A little bit. The difference is that she is in authority in this [reality]. There’s kind of a callback to a lot of the Season 1 stuff, but it’s also different because she owns the title of captain. It was funny too, because some of my camera guys said, “Who do you like playing better, real Beckett or Alternate Universe Beckett?” And I thought, “Oh wow, you guys actually see the difference, cool.” It was interesting to see what their perspective on it was and what they liked about Alternate Universe Beckett.

Castle Wedding

TVLINE | I have to say, we got more wedding than I thought we would. I assumed there’d be an efficient little musical montage at the end – “ring on finger, ring on finger, unheard vows, kiss annnnd fade out.” (View all wedding photos here.)
Right. No, I didn’t know where they were going to place it but I definitely expected to see the characters exchange vows. Definitely. They had to. I mean, it would have been a big letdown [to skip]. And I think it was romantically written, and sweet the things they said to one another.

TVLINE | When all was said and done, was bridal outfit No. 3 the winner?
Yeah. We thought she would come in with something simpler, and something that she possibly could have pulled out of her closet, which is just some pants and a top that she pulled together quickly or maybe shopped for in half an hour, you know? We did go through some dresses, but we didn’t think that Beckett would want to risk it again, you know, by jinxing it with another dress. It seems like as soon as she has a dress, the wedding falls apart!

“From the moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me
to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you, Richard Castle, and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you I will love you. I will be your friend and your partner, in crime and in life, always.”

“From the moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me
more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You’re the joy in my heart, you’re the last person I want to see when I close my eyes. I love you, Katherine Beckett, and the mystery of you is one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime, and life, ’til death do us part — and for the time of our lives.”

Coming next week, in Part 2 of our Q&A: Stana Katic shares tales from Rick and Kate’s “Old West” honeymoon, teases the fall finale’s game-changing twist and weighs in on the hottest topic of them all.

1. leigh says:

That was so awesome and beautiful!

• leigh says:

Wow. This episode was great. If you exclude the background (that one was hard to swallow) it was everything the season finale tried to do but came up short. It was funny and romantic at the end and everyone played their parts very well. This is now my new favorite after Flowers for Your Grave. 😊

• Kelly says:

I totally agree about the background.

• Kvivik says:

OMG the green screen background and crappy lighting totally killed the scene for me.
        If they wanted to be cheap about it, they could have just had them get married on a roof or in a park somewhere…or maybe even INDOORS where the lighting and background wouldn’t need to be faked.
        The full episode was okay for me, but the wedding was a total fail.

• S. says:

You know what was so fun about that exchange? Knowing the “and for the time of our lives” was from Terri Miller and Andrew Marlowe’s wedding vows.

• G. says:

Why would that matter at all? To anyone other than them?

• S. says:

Wow bah humbug, Scrooge. Terri and Andrew felt like sharing that on Twitter and everybody with a heart thought that was sweet. They’re a really adorable couple and it sure seems like a lot of who they are translates into Caskett. Why does that matter? I guess it wouldn’t if you lacked a romantic bone in your body.

• lkh says:

you’re so interesting…come down hard on all…chip on the old shoulder? If your reasoning is correct, G lacks a romantic bone in her body. Not sure if you respond to me if I’d rather be called hater, Scrooge, sunshine, honey, preach, so predictable…all great stuff and you manage to express them with a strong attitude–I can almost hear the degradation. Keep it up, gives me a laugh. I like ‘you regularly slam them for things the don’t do wrong, maybe look to thine self for the error’. or’ KCC, preach, so beyond presumptuous.’ or ” I guess the F is for fan fiction because that’s the only thing that’ll make you happy’ finally ‘Wow bah humbug, Scrooge.’ Interesting. Hope I can avoid the slaughter–can I pick my own name to be called. Do I get to pick my own topic and can I be analytical and actually voice positive and negative aspects of an episode and then hear other points of view. I’ve decided, I want to be called ‘genius’–you can still make it sound like an insult–I know you can.

2. Dj says:

I have to give credit to everyone who said the alt universe plot would take up the whole show and the wedding would only get 30 seconds.

• Alli says:

It did take up more than half the show so I felt relieved that the wedding did take place.I wonder how everyone else is gonna feel about this instanteous hitch without them..remember what Kevin said about his post nuptial events and his uninvited relatives hating him?

• S. says:

Why would you give them credit? Castle’s journey to wanting his ‘let’s get married, right now’ took the entire episode. Arguably the whole show was about the wedding. It doesn’t take 45 min to walk down the aisle for an intimate wedding that’s pretty much family only.

3. Kristine S. says:

A pantsuit instead of a wedding dress?! Awful. A three minute wedding at the end. No Lanie ? No Javi? No Ryan? What crap!!!

• Agreed..she looked as if she was gong to party not the party of her lifetime..and the green screen was so chintzy…that blew the whole wedding for me..or is he still in a AU..maybe he’ll wake up in the shower like Bobby Ewing..lol.

• David4 says:

He can wake up and it be the season finale and none of that BS happened. :)

• Fran says:

I think it just depends on your individual views of what a wedding should be. I mean, your comment about the “party of a lifetime” doesn’t make sense to me. A wedding ceremony isn’t a party anyway, its a ceremony to pledge your love and commitment to each other. To some people a wedding is a party I guess, but considering everything we know about Beckett, this kind of ceremony made perfect sense to me. I will agree that the green screen was cheesy but I wasn’t really focused on that anyway.

• Allie says:

I’d would rather have a toweled-clad Castle over a towel-clad Bobby Ewing any day of the week, month, year, or decade. And Beckett’s dress suit was different but she was happy and present and now has her man, better or worse.

• S. says:

I knew the haterz would just go on about the length. It was more than 30 sec, but of course you’d do what you had to to minimize it even more right? So predictable.

• It was an approximately 4 minute scene.
        In a 40+ minute episode.

That’s absolutely pathetic.

This comment brought to you by Hyperbole-free Comments [TM]. We now return you to “The Apologists Love Everything.”

• KT says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again – if you were honestly expecting an entire episode (or at least a good chunk of the episode) to be focused on nothing but wedding, you were setting yourself up for disappointment. No procedural show like this would ever do that.

• AnnieC says:

I will never understand why the show runners would rather spend 40+ minutes writing about a non-mystery boring storyline (which we know will still result in Castle and Beckett ending up together) rather than a few more minutes giving the fans a wedding experience they’ve been waiting years for. This isn’t just a procedural. If it didn’t have the Caskett story I wouldn’t be watching.

• JohnNYC says:

I thought the comparisons between the two “worlds” was a terrific highlight of how much Castle getting involved with the team had changed all of them, and for all but perhaps Martha, the effect in the “real” world was for the better. IMHO.

• Kelly says:

Totally true. Think back to Kevin’s wedding. It came at the end of the episode. Personally, what more did you want to see of the wedding? We had an entire season of lead-up and it doesn’t matter that the wedding didn’t happen in the same season. I loved everything about (well, maybe not the green screen) this episode. Will re-watch several times I’m sure!

• SLC says:

I would have hoped Castle would be at least as good as Bones’ wedding episode, as i enjoy both shows for many of the same reasons. Sadly, not even close.

• prish says:

The husband said, “What about the friends?” He was in shock at the solo wedding. In my opinion, it was more sad than happy, without the friends. What a weird decision by those in control of the series.

4. Anonymoose says:

That green-screen background wedding was an embarrassment that made it impossible to take the scene seriously.

• Kristine S. says:

• Rachel says:

THIS! Ruined the whole wedding scene for me.

• Just one thing says:

I really don’t understand how they could’ve justified that production choice. They film in CALIFORNIA. How hard is it to film on a real beach? Truly.

• KCC says:

I think they were going for surrealistic not realistic. I liked the choice, given the surreal nature of their relationship, cop marries world famous novelist. It doesn’t happen in real life, only fairy tales and TV shows.

• It did look surreal, that’s true! But that also made it look like they were getting married on another planet. :-P
          However, the vis fx house(s) ABC uses are generally pretty eh, sad to say.

• Hannah says:

I agree, I think after everything they’ve been through and the wedding not going ahead because of castle going missing, they wanted to step it up a notch and make it even more “perfect” than how the wedding was going to be before. Also it made their love as more surreal yet extraordinary.

• lkh says:

ah, sometimes hard to park at the beach and see one from afar. now that’s truly. For a 30 second scene, maybe not worth the expense. why is California in capitals? don’t offend me now.

• Carolina says:

Better yet if AM had a clue what he was going to do ahead of time, he would have shot the wedding when they filmed that foolishness that was the season finale. I didn’t think that AM could get any worse than the first almost wedding, boy was I wrong.

When are people going to realise that AM has no respect for the fans. He created this show and he is going to run it into the ground. If he thinks last nights foolishness makes up for the slap in the face last season, he is delusional.

• Phoebe says:

I agree, it ruined the wedding scene for me. Other than that it would have been beautiful.

• S. says:

It was on purpose, sunshine. It looked almost ethereal. Heavenly. They didn’t have to do it that way. They chose to because it was a simplicity and a beauty that the moment required.

• M3rc Nate says:

Especially when im used to watching shows like Royal Pains that are actually in the Hamptons or Covert Affairs which spends the $ to fly some of their cast/crew to real places and film (Italy, Germany, Istanbul etc) and White Collar really films in NY i believe….to see a show like Castle (which granted shoots 22 episodes a season) knowing they were gonna shoot a wedding scene this episode for probably at least 2+ months…not be able to get a location, set it up (build the deck) and shoot? Pretty sad. I doubt its that hard to find a view that looks like what they green screened in southern California.

Also disappointed in the lack of the friends (especially best friend), how short it was, and to be honest i was expecting more in terms of vows from a writer who’s so good with words (granted hes not a poet).

I mean when this show started, did anyone think the wedding would end up being 2 minutes long on a green screen at the end of a episode? You’d think the two biggest moments in the series would be when they both get together (sex/say i love you) and when they get married.

• Sarah R. says:

I agree… I loved the vows, I was even on board with the ‘dress’, but was really distracted by the bad green screen. And, was it early morning? The sun doesn’t set over the ocean on the east coast…

• lizabeta says:

Hahaha!!! Didn’t even think that!!! Maybe (giving large benefit of doubt here) they were on the west facing side of an island?

• Grey says:

Well, if it was at the end of the day when they wrapped up the case (which is possible with all the much talked about paper work, etc.) maybe they decided to drive to the Hamptons that night for a sunrise ceremony – and would explain one reason they didn’t include Javi, Kevin, Lani, Jenny and the baby. ???

This show has always had problmes recreating the Hamptons; aerial footage of Castle driving Beckett up there for first time *on the left-side* of the road (who knew the Hamptons was in Australia?), the wrong sort of trees and bushes growing in and around his property, the wrong type of beach front, the sun setting in the west even though they’re on the east coast, and on and on.

I didn’t mind the small, intimate wedding – especially given everything they’ve been through -but, it would have looked better and made more logical sense to either have it in the loft, in a judges’ chambers (which would have been a great opportunity to bring back judge Markway from season one), or in the mayor’s office. Hello! The main guy (other than Montgomery) who helped enable this relationship from the beginning! He should have been the one officiating the ceremony instead of that no-name guy we got. But after all the screw ups and the re-writing of character’s histories last season I went into this with low expectations and as a result enjoyed the episode for the most part.

• lkh says:

I’m glad you said that about the Hamptons house. Does anyone know that is really in the Hamptons? When I look at those scenes, I see a house up the hill that looks very Spanish to me and has a tile roof. Also, I’m thinking some of the trees look a bit like eucalyptus (maybe it is Australia!). And yes, that is the ocean, probably not a bay. If it’s actually California, I was thinking Pacific Palisades. Regardless, for this episode, they weren’t there.

• lizabeta says:

The green screen was reflected in her eyes, her hair and her white lace… all tinted green screen green… not sunset colored… green screen. Their wedding got less technical stage attention than a soap opera or high school play. I couldnt even focus on the event itself… so disappointed.

• sigh says:

Yeah, pretty odd looking. My sister didn’t believe the wedding scene WASN’T a dream until the episode was over.

• Rach says:

Same thing for me! I thought maybe the wedding was going to be Kate’s AU after touching the artifact, and I was all prepared to be annoyed at yet another wedding ruse. The background was so awful and distracting, I never for a second thought the viewer was meant to be taking the wedding seriously. Especially since the Kate and Beckett didn’t interact with anyone. I couldn’t believe it when the credits rolled and I realized it was, in fact, the real wedding. So bizarre and very maddening. I just don’t get how anyone on the production team thought that background and lighting were meant to convey believability at the end of an episode that was all about an AU/dream sequence.

• Melody Brown says:

I thought the wedding was tastefully done! I don’t think viewers were as interested in the background as much as the nuptuals!! Kate and Rick exchanged rings and 6 yrs of waiting is now OVER!!💗

• GeoDiva says:

it was pretty close to Ringer boat level. However, Castle has a history of cheap greenscreens. Remember Rick in Paris when Alexis was kidnaped? Awful.

• lw says:

I can’t believe how all you guys could focus on was the background – I was really watching the characters, could have stood in front of a brick wall as far as I’m concerned.

5. imo says:

Excited to see how they work as a married couple now.

• AnnieC says:

Yes! Glad to have the drama about a wedding behind us (especially since AWM and TEM seem to derive pleasure from ruining a good wedding) and see what married life holds for these two.

• Lisa says:

I’m picturing Hart to Hart 2.0

• Rich Abey says:

Does it really matter though? They have been acting like a married couple from the very first season (to good cause), and just making it official & legal wouldn’t make much of a difference.

6. Mika02 says:

Great episode! Touching perfectly castle with the alternative universe. Can’t wait for the honeymoon!

7. tlc19 says:

loved this ep! Vintage castle to me, and all the reasons I fell in love with this show. It was quirky and fun, mystery and murder, engaging and different, while all along the love story shown through. He was just trying to get back to her, because he loved her. The callbacks to previous eps made it seem full-circle and satisfying. Kudos to all involved.

8. Flick says:

It was honestly the perfect episode. I couldn’t ask for more. I loved watching alt-universe Beckett and co and Nathan and Stana did such a good job at showing that those characters still had so much chemistry.

I loved all the little season 1 callbacks and how alt-Beckett told Castle about the Derrick Storm book signing!! Also, Stana looks amazing in those blazers!

One of my fav lines was by Ryan at the end, when he was like “We were awesome!” haha, such a contrast to the alt-Ryan and really shows how far they’ve come together as a team!

The wedding, was perfect. Intimate family and everything. The vows had me smiling like an idiot. Quote of the ep? Has to be “Mrs Castle, may I have this dance?” Swoon. Melt. Going to watch it again. Peace!

9. Jennifer says:

The cgi was distracting but I thought Kate looked stunning and I liked the intimate, simple ceremony.

10. Aleana says:

Awesome it was worth the wait

11. Kourt says:

The wedding was so emotional and perfect. The vows were so true to character

12. Lisa says:

Perfection!

Nathan Fillion was amazing this episode. If the show ended this season I wouldn’t even be mad because now I can rewatch 7×6 forever.

If you voted fail you are not a fan of the show.

• S. says:

Amen. Fans of the show don’t watch with a spirit of ‘this is gonna let me down.’ If you’re voting F about this show, I guess that F is for fan fiction because that’s the only thing that’ll make you happy.

• Kat says:

Perfect answered! ;)
        Who voting F… LEAVE. You’re not a fan. You’re only a person who complain about everything in anything!

13. KCC says:

Excellent, very well done. The only people that really matter in both Castle’s (Alexis & Martha) and Beckett’s (Jim) lives were there. Work partners come and go, Ryan, Esposito and Lanie will, due to life choices or circumstances fade from their lives, but family is always there. The simplest and most sincere wedding they could have created. A+.

14. Teri says:

Thanks for the great questions for Stana. Her shipper heart has been there from day 1 and she knew that Castle and Beckett belonged together. I loved all the callbacks and I remember every single one of them.

15. Jennifer says:

On another note, it was so heartbreaking that alt Beckett never solved her mother’s murder and gave up on being a detective. It underscored just how crucial and meaningful Castle has been in her life. I wish he had given her a clue or some encouragement in that universe.

16. abz says:

Loved the song and dance at the end. Kind of disappointed with what Kate wore, but in the end glad they didn’t drag it out any longer.
    Even in an alternate universe, I still don’t like Esposito. I wish the show would do a cast shake-up soon and get rid of Esposito/Ryan and bring in some fresh characters. I just dislike the both of them and the only reason I continue to watch the show is Castle and Beckett.

• taran63 says:

I actually like Ryan quite a bit, and I like the way Castle and Ryan interact with each other. I used to like Esposito a lot to, but I’ve really started to dislike him over the last few seasons.
      I can’t really put into words why, but it’s like during the last couple of seasons, half the scenes he’s in I still like him, but the other half he’s an irritating jerk. It’s like he’s changed from being friendly with Castle to being subtly aggressive with Castle, and treating him as an outsider. I actually saw the least difference between normal Esposito and AU Esposito than with any of the other alternate universe characters.

• S. says:

I loved that Ryan was a big Martha fan independent of Castle. Even if Castle had never come down to the alt-precinct, Ryan would’ve hit up her performance in Mame.

• abz says:

I have actually come to not stand the Ryan character and part of it with the way he’s written. I don’t see him as a character of his own. I see him as plot device that pops in at the right time to give Beckett and Castle clues on the next step of their investigation. I hate how every single episode they have Beckett and Castle talking about something and he’s always eavesdropping and popping in at the exact moment to answer their questions with “Well, you’re half right about that” or “Wrong, it turns out blah blah blah” and so on, He’s so irritating. I just wish once they have Beckett GO TO HIM and say “Hey did you find such and such?” He’s just so know-it-all-y. I was so happy when Castle kept interrupting him this episode and saying everything he was about to say. Finally shut him up for a second.

I used to like Esposito too in the early seasons. Thought he was funny. He was nothing more than a secondary character, but I still enjoyed him. But like you I can’t completely describe it, but I’ve just started to not like him these past several seasons. Completely agree on the real vs. AU comparison. With the other characters there were clear differences (Ryan not too much though), but Espo is the same jerk he’s been for a while.

• AnnieC says:

Exactly, Espo has become a jerk lately. I don’t even want to see him with Lanie anymore. She deserves a man who loves and appreciates her, not a guy who seems to be waiting on the sidelines for Beckett and Castle to break up.

• lkh says:

Know guys like Espo. He’s grumpy, no nonsense, aggressive, reactionary and ex military, but he’s also loyal and would do anything for those he works with especially Beckett. That’s the character. It’s a big personality and it can get irritating and overwhelming. Not everyone is going to fit into the mold of the ‘sweet’ characters in the show. And I’m glad that’s true. If you were in big trouble, at least physically, who would you call? I don’t get the romance feeling that you all do between him and Beckett, I do get the affectionate brother feeling. The AU Espo seemed much more aggressive especially physically-pushing, hands up, etc. Would I want to hang around with normal or AU Espo, probably not but I think a character like him is needed in the precinct.

• sigh says:

Agree! I don’t get all the Espo hate. I feel like we all should know he is really loyal and affectionate behind his tough exterior. Plus I think Jon Heurtas is extremely funny. I like how the characters parallel each other (Beckett/Espo, Castle/Ryan) and belong together, if that makes sense.

17. Bianca says:

The wedding was perfect. Fans couldn´t ask for more.

18. Anon says:

The wedding was too small.

F-

19. Kate says:

I loved the episode so much! As someone who fell in love with the show from the very beginning, I felt it was totally worth the wait. I’m really looking forward to seeing what comes next. What a great interview with Stana Katic, I always love to hear her speak about the show and her character. She seems to really care about them a lot, and is very well spoken.

20. Lindsey says:

I really loved the AU part of this episode; lots of callbacks and it reminded me of the show I fell in love with all those years ago.

The wedding was sweet, but I didn’t like the lack of Ryan/Esposito/Lanie, I felt like they deserved to be there. Also, the green screen and Beckett’s outfit were god-awful, they couldn’t find anything better for her to wear and couldn’t spring a few more dollars for some better CGI there?

But, I really loved this episode, the vows were sweet and the AU was very well done, it felt like the Castle of old. All in all, an A episode with some visual miscues at the end.

• KCC says:

I didn’t mind the CGI at all. It gave the wedding an otherworldly aura. I thought it was very fitting given the history and storybook development of their relationship. It’s a fairy tale ending. So, something so surreal looking seems appropriate to me.

• Rich Abey says:

Exactly. Concentrate on the ceremony you fools instead of the sky! Caskett are getting married!! Actually I found the background quite in sync with the scene as it put them in the spotlight (as they should be) instead of getting married in a gloomy dull setting.

21. James D says:

I loved it. for a common tv trope that is paralell universes I thought they pulled it off beautifully. I thought the wedding was simple, sincere, and very sweet. I’m sure their will be a lot of rage filled comments on it and that’s ok people want what they want which is understandable, but for me i thought they did a very good job, i would of liked to maybe see a little thirty second montage at the end showing them partying with the guys and Lannie but i’ll take it. I’m very interested to see what the show becomes now that they’re hitched.

22. JC1 says:

Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I gave it a B. I’m not sure what exactly I was expecting. Maybe it’s just that I’ve seen far too many of these alternate reality episodes, but this one didn’t quite live up to what I thought it would be. And the wedding just didn’t feel right without Ryan and Esposito being there. It was distracting. But that’s probably just me.

23. Audrey says:

Stana Katic always gives good thoughtout answers. Yes! I’d be a crime if they skip out the vows and do a montage! It They were heartfelt. But considering the detour the writers have took to get here, ummm, I must ask, is it worth it? Not quite.

AU Beckett is so sad — lonely, without hope. At least AU Castle still has his mother and daughter and his history with the success of Derrick Storm (he still got money).

• Lisa says:

AU Castle wasn’t happy – plus according to AU Martha he had squandered most of his money (I think it was spent on booze & blondes? not sure I’m remembering correctly) but Martha co-owned the loft in this universe and had apparently become the primary contributor to household expenses

24. Linda says:

Enjoyed the episode and loved the ceremony. Vows were perfect and the simplicity of the ceremony itself was appropriate for what they have been through. The important thing is that they are moving forward. And the episode gave callback to some highlights of the relationship. I was happy to see she admits to having stood in line for his autograph, even though the admission was in the alt universe.

25. Becky says:

I loved it and it was a great episode. Just wished we didn’t have the horrible fake background and a little more wedding time. But the wedding with just family fit them well.

26. dave says:

It wasn’t the wedding I wanted but I guess itll have to do.

27. Mike Q says:

This whole season has been a disaster from start to finish and this was no different. The alternate universe was just a little too silly, even for Castle (up there with the time travel episode from last year), the “solution” to the inane disappear for two months was, at best, lacking, and the wedding became an afterthought. Big disappointment.

28. RCIDrocks says:

Thank for the story, Matt; well done indeed. So well done, in fact, that you could work for a newspaper. ;-)

29. christina says:

A perfect episode. This one is staying on my DVR forever. Mr. and Mrs. Castle!!! :’)

30. Andrea says:

Loved loved loved this episode, all the throw backs to first season were such unexpected surprises! The cows were so wonderful and right for the two of them. Nathan Fillion was extra awesome in this episode too!

31. Stana Katic always gives solid answers that demonstrate a clear, 360-degree understanding of the series’ current direction – even when it seems she’s being diplomatic in her responses. Even better is the fact that she can given intelligent answers to questions that have little to do with her character.
    It’s cool. She doesn’t have to give the show that much thought. She’s certainly not getting a producer credit for it. She just seems to genuinely care that much.

32. T says:

I liked this episode more than I expected to. Castle was actually fun. However, the plot was no different than something one would expect in an episode of Warehouse 13, right down to the artifact and blue light that Castle saw. Ironic that the actor who played Beckett’s first husband in the awful season 6 finale was one of the primary characters on that show. The wedding was a big let down. Their vows were nice. The bride was beautiful, if somewhat oddly dressed (and it is not realistic to say that a white pantsuit is “so Beckett” when she picked out that original ugly wedding dress). The wedding venue and background was horrible; it looked like the backdrop for a prom picture. Not one word from her dad??? Back in the Hamptons again? Oh well. The worst downside for this for me is that I cannot see any reason why they got married now if they were to be consistent with the story up to now. This AU experience only affected Castle, not Beckett so why did she say yes now? What has happened in their relationship since Castle reappeared to show her that this was the right time? Nothing that I have seen. Oh well to that too I guess. Finally, how many times are we going to hear about Castle’s books and Derrick Storm? I suspect this is heavy handed foreshadowing for what we will learn about Castle’s disappearance.

33. Alex says:

The story was very UN-Castle. It would have been alright if it were a filler or maybe Halloween episode. Forgettable story at best. I was waiting and waiting for the ending to come into play with the whole wedding we were due in full and the last 3ish minutes with a Green Screen sunset was distracting and 90’s theater set, was a but let down-ish, but I was willing to forgive and avoid looking at that rubbish, because the real focus was on Rick and Kate. They did (as well as Martha, Alexis, and Poppa Becks) look very nice. Lanie and the boys were missed. I would have rather had the actual location where they were orig going to get married last season. That was beautiful. This wedding set was meh. The vows were a little rushed and repetitive, though had their good points, and an “Always” mention. All in all it was okay. Not as spectacular as I had hoped being a Caskett fan from the beginning. I could have wished that the whole ending to last season didnt happen. They got married then with everything being beautiful and such and then Rick getting blindsided and writer-napped. Hopefully the honeymoon will be worth a chuckle or two and little more romantic to make up for tonight.

34. RBA says:

Poor Jim Beckett he was just a glorified extra on his daughter wedding day. They couldn’t even give him a line where he wished his daughter well or tell Castle to take care of his gird. The background was just atrocious. As to the vows .. they were meh..

Unfortunately for me the AU and the COTW were better than the actual wedding. In fact I think the AU part has been better than any episode we seen all season..

• KCC says:

I liked the simplicity of the wedding. Just Castle and Beckett, like the entire series. No need for anyone else to speak. It’s their story.

• Agreed about the woefully underused Jim Beckett. (He resides behind the cul de sac as the Woefully Underused Captain Gates, Lanie, Martha and Alexis.)
      However, unlike his neighbors, we will probably never see Jim Beckett again – or at least until the next major life event.

35. Laura says:

The vows were perfect, but I LOVED all the callbacks in the AU. Also still can’t get over how Castle literally dreams of taking that bullet for Beckett. Well done to the folks at the show.

36. Matthew Weber says:

I thought it was perfect. I absolutely loved the whole episode, and I admit (even being a dude) that I got teary at the end. It was so good. So good.

37. N says:

It was fine….

38. Matthew Weber says:

Both Nathan and Stana were terrific in this episode. They are both good anyways, but they knocked it out of the park this time.

39. John NYC says:

Cast was great. Story was fun. Too bad alt Kate didn’t get a hint about the desk elephants. They did change each other in extraordinary ways highlighted in that episode.

Remarkable. The wedding? I was looking at the couple’s faces not the backdrop. Ah the Internet.

• Kat says:

Exactly! The background was… “magic”, “surreal”, but still beautiful! And… who cares about the background when your attention have to be for the couple! :)

• Lisa says:

Agree completely. If I hadn’t come to this site I never would have given the “background” a second thought.

They got married!!!!!!

40. Bre says:

That was the crappiest wedding ever. Castle blew it big time… I’m so disappointed, we hardly got anything and what we got was complete crap. UGH I knew this was coming. URGH this was their moment to do everything right and the showrunners ruined one of the biggest moments for Caskett, just like they’ve ruined everything else. I just I’m so mad right now.

• S. says:

Honey, the fact that you knew this was coming meant that it had failed before it ever happened. Why you even bothered, I don’t know. You’re not watching the show properly if you’re coming from the place of assuming the worst–it’s a show where watching it with enthusiasm and appreciation for the fun that can be had is required. A generous spirit gets rewarded. They haven’t ruined a thing. You ruined it for yourself. It’s their show and the vows included part of the ones said between Marlowe and his wife Terri, the real Castle and Beckett of it all. So adorable.

41. Kat says:

For who complain about this episode:

A DIFFERENT AND STILL BEAUTIFUL WEDDING THAN SOME OTHER SHOW WITH “TRADITIONAL WEDDINGS”! BYE.

42. lauri5567 says:

I was happy they didn’t get married in the precinct, but give us the loft or something the green screen was cheesy. Also, Ryan, Esposito and Lanie should have been there. However, I did like the vows.
    As for the Alternate Universe, it would have been interesting if Montgomery had been there as the Captain’s boss still. After all if Castle hadn’t pushed Kate to look into her mother’s murder, then most likely Montgomery would have still been alive.
    Minorly, I would have liked to see Sorenson again and how he and Kate are happy with other people, and would he say he knew all along?

43. Debbie says:

I love Castle and the ensamble cast. Stana Katic is beautiful, articulate and appears to be a lovely human being. Nathan Fillion is “ruggedly handsome”, and funny.

44. Kat says:

The truth is… People will always complain about something. Luckily world is various… :)
    It was an amazing episode, I enjoyed it and the final scene was perfect! The background!? Who care! The important thing is they are finally married! And I am one of those people who don’t love so much the wedding in real life, but happy if it happens in a show!
    I loved the fact there was Martha, Alexis and Jim… Yes, I’m sorry that Ryan, Espo and Lanie weren’t there, but still beautiful, romantic and touching! :’)

45. DarkDefender says:

I really liked this episode.
    The vows were great (nicely done by TEM).. Castle finding out the importance of his books to Beckett, being able to take a bullet for her and realizing how empty his life seemed without her were great.
    Beckett should dress more like ALTBecks those suits were hot (even Castle noticed). I was also totally liking ALTBecks getting her flirt on with Castle with the theory building dialogue at the ALT murder board.
    The throw backs to season 1 were fun and I must have watched those final 3-4 minutes like a dozen times. It was perfect. I think the outright joy in what looks like next week’s (jointly said) announcement to the gang that they are married, says it all.
    If Boreanez/Deschenel & Dempsey/Pompeo can get more money and producer credits.. So should Fillion and Katic. Castle deserves a long run..

• Alex says:

Raises happen when actors renew their contracts, not in between. Castle is a few years behind Bones and GA, so I’m sure Nathan and Stana will get paid more after their contract renews. Producer Credits are their choice (usually), that means they are putting money into the show and promotion and such. It all depends on networks and when they allow actors to have a Producers Credit and they must be part of the Producers Guild of America to have a Producers Credit. And that’s not Free. I think if they want it, they’ll get it. Their good actors on a successful show.

• DarkDefender says:

Both their contracts are up at the end of this season. They should keep the show going (hence giving them more money).. Castle could go at least in the 10 season range. SK already has a production company and I doubt NF would turn down a chance to produce the show. The more vested they become, the longer the series can stay on the air with quality episodes. More Castle love, I say.

• Those at the producer level do NOT put money into the series’ production. It’s one of several differences between film and TV.
        If you notice, series writers are credited as various levels of producers, depending on their experience and where they fall on the series’ totem pole. When actors are given producer credits, it comes with more way in the show’s creative direction and sometimes a bit more money.

46. Luli says:

There is always so much hate in the Castle comments section.
    The wedding was amazing, the vows were perfect, and the AU was funny, full of callbacks and more!
    The freaking episode was INCREDIBLE.
    #CaskettAtLast

• mary says:

The pants didn’t bother me – she is not a “girly” girl but not to have their friends there sucked. It was inexcusable for us not to see all of the “gang” together when they (and us) have been through so much together. That alternate universe was stupid.

47. Alisa says:

I waited six years for that and I loved every minute if it.!.! Thanks for the GREAT episode.

• Mairi says:

True that! Who cares about the backdrop or what Beckett wore. All that matters is that after such a long wait, they are finally married!!!!
      #CaskettAtlast

48. chaka ni stana says:

CRAP! LOOKS SO FAKE. NO CHEMISTRY AT ALL!

49. Kat says:

Thought the AU was fun and clever. Interesting to see how everyone’s lives were different.

The wedding was alright, but felt a little rushed. Liked Beckett’s outfit enough. I get maybe they were going for a more fantasy type background, but honestly it just looked cheap.

Didn’t understand why Ryan and Esposito weren’t there. As far as we know, Castle and Beckett don’t have any other friends besides them, so why would they not be invited?

50. lkh says:

I really had to stop and think about how I received the episode. I paid attention, certainly, it was a different type of story and therefore interesting. Wasn’t really what I had anticipated but that was ok just because of the unique concept-it did hold my attention. Liked what Ms. Katic did with Beckett, wasn’t as thrilled with Ms. Quinn. The others were fine.

However, to me anyway, the wedding was perfect for this couple. I remember when Beckett said before the Hamptons wedding that she really didn’t want to say her vows in front of a lot of people and when they both were trying to create a list of invitees, both wrote that the only person that absolutely needed to be there was ‘you’. So, just family seemed right. The background didn’t bother me at all, I was looking at them. If there had been a ‘beautiful’ background, would folks have been distracted? dunno Regarding what she was wearing-ok. Nothing could compare to/replace the gorgeous Hamptons dress and everything could replace that first dress-ugh. I think it was a lovely ceremony, just right for them. Clearly, not right for some fans, but it’s their (the characters’) wedding and it seems true to them for me.

I think someone has a lot of plaster-cast Central American artifacts stored somewhere… Maybe next time we could go with some plaster-cast artifact from somewhere else in the world. hee, hee